Man gets verbally abused on tube for reading the Quron aloud

JudyJudyJudy

I have came across this myself in Edinburgh. Used to see this niqab attired woman reading it on a lothian red bus to her kids on the way to school, mostly mumbling and pointing verses to them. Bizarre and quite disturbing that she was brain washing her litter on public transport. No doubt it was meant as an FU to the infidel. Nobody said anything to her obviously. 

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• i8hibsh

• hughesie27

• Unknown user

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, JamesM48 said:

I find conversations on buses fascinating . I mean listening in to them . I’m constantly amazed what people talk about either on the phone or to each other knowing That others can hear . 

Lugging in on other people’s conversations is one of life’s most underrated pleasures. Doing it without being rumbled requires a good deal of skill. It’s almost an art form.

6 minutes ago, leginten said:

Lugging in on other people’s conversations is one of life’s most underrated pleasures. Doing it without being rumbled requires a good deal of skill. It’s almost an art form.

Very true 😂

Well it's certainly a very good way of getting a whole tube carriage to yourself.

Seriously though, what an utter trumpet. Clearly looking for a reaction and someone bit. I'd be straight off at the next stop.

1 hour ago, leginten said:

:lol: 

Never make eye contact with the mark. 

This guy has been trying to provoke an incident then rant about "islamophobia" which isn't even a thing. It's a made up word with only one purpose, to try stopping you making any negative comment about their ideology.

I'm critical of pretty much all religions, including Christianity, which I have spoken of critically probably more times than I have Islam. Does that make me a "Christophobe"?

Of course not, phobia means a fear of. I don't fear it I simply think it's stupid and detrimental to society in countless ways. As stupid as the Santa tale they fed me before I discovered that was utter shit around maybe 6 years old or so.

Around 11 to 12 it dawned on me that this tale of invisible magic universe creating super-being was every bit as ludicrous. Even more ludicrous in fact. The only magic Santa performs is basically building all the toys, flying them all around the world in a single night using magic reindeer.

That's trivial in comparison to religious claims yet rational adults believe the religious claims? I find that almost unbelievable in itself. There was at least some evidence for Santa for kids, the prezzies were there. And another bonus is no one will threaten to kill you if you don't believe in Santa.

Where's the evidence for the religious claims? There is absolutely nothing to support this magic tale while there's entire libraries of evidence shooting down most of it's claims.

But I feel we must also consider another angle. Would this same guy have dared to do the same thing with a bible in Saudi Arabia? Absolutely no chance. Just possessing the bible at all would get you arrested.

Yet he wont be nicked for carrying his book anywhere he likes in the UK. And the irony is he would inflict Saudi like laws on you in your country if he could.

The Islamic ideology is out of it's time and place, it skipped the reformation Christianity evolved through over centuries. Islam is like middle ages Christianity where they were burning people at the stake for any attempt to question the ideology.

Example: Giordano Bruno was an Italian friar who among other interests was into cosmological theories. He speculated that the stars in the night sky were in fact other suns just like ours. He further speculated that they simply didn't look like a sun because they were so far away.

But then he went further which in 1600 got him burned at the stake for heresy. He stated that he thought these other suns just like ours probably had planets around them just like the Earth. And that they likely contained people just like us.

He got the people thing wrong, but everything else was right on the button. A world changing discovery if you could call it that which could have helped put us centuries ahead of our current state of technology.  And they burned him alive for it

Another example:

In February 1616, an Inquisitorial commission declared heliocentrism to be "foolish and absurd in philosophy, and formally heretical since it explicitly contradicts in many places the sense of Holy Scripture".

The Inquisition found that the idea of the Earth's movement "receives the same judgement in philosophy and ... in regard to theological truth it is at least erroneous in faith".

Pope Paul V instructed Cardinal Bellarmine to deliver this finding to Galileo, and to order him to abandon heliocentrism.

On 26 February, Galileo was called to Bellarmine's residence and ordered "to abandon completely ... the opinion that the sun stands still at the center of the world and the Earth moves, and henceforth not to hold, teach, or defend it in any way whatever, either orally or in writing."

The decree of the Congregation of the Index banned Copernicus's De Revolutionibus and other heliocentric works until correction.

Of course Galileo declined to do so and spent the last 25 years or so of his life under house arrest. Better than Bruno I suppose. But the thing is that fundamentalist middle ages mindset is where Islam has stuck to this day and that puts it on a whole other threat level than Christianity does.

The Americans have their share of fundies but they're not cutting peoples heads off for criticising them nor doing that and more globally. 

But if any journalist were to publish an opinion critical of say Muhammad you can be guaranteed that guys twitter feed would quickly be flooded with rape and death threats for him his wife and kids.

And as we know these threats have been known to be carried out. The attack on the Charlie Hebdo satirical magazine office in 2015 killed 12.

And it's not just journalists it's any media personality at all. Theo Van Gough was murdered in the Netherlands in 2004 for a film they objected to. And with that in mind I have seen many people in the media say they would absolutely think twice about making a comment on Islam.

Think about that. People are scared to even talk about it. That alone should be enough to set alarm bells ringing. 

5 hours ago, JFK-1 said:

This guy has been trying to provoke an incident then rant about "islamophobia" which isn't even a thing. It's a made up word with only one purpose, to try stopping you making any negative comment about their ideology.

I'm critical of pretty much all religions, including Christianity, which I have spoken of critically probably more times than I have Islam. Does that make me a "Christophobe"?

Of course not, phobia means a fear of. I don't fear it I simply think it's stupid and detrimental to society in countless ways. As stupid as the Santa tale they fed me before I discovered that was utter shit around maybe 6 years old or so.

Around 11 to 12 it dawned on me that this tale of invisible magic universe creating super-being was every bit as ludicrous. Even more ludicrous in fact. The only magic Santa performs is basically building all the toys, flying them all around the world in a single night using magic reindeer.

That's trivial in comparison to religious claims yet rational adults believe the religious claims? I find that almost unbelievable in itself. There was at least some evidence for Santa for kids, the prezzies were there. And another bonus is no one will threaten to kill you if you don't believe in Santa.

Where's the evidence for the religious claims? There is absolutely nothing to support this magic tale while there's entire libraries of evidence shooting down most of it's claims.

But I feel we must also consider another angle. Would this same guy have dared to do the same thing with a bible in Saudi Arabia? Absolutely no chance. Just possessing the bible at all would get you arrested.

Yet he wont be nicked for carrying his book anywhere he likes in the UK. And the irony is he would inflict Saudi like laws on you in your country if he could.

The Islamic ideology is out of it's time and place, it skipped the reformation Christianity evolved through over centuries. Islam is like middle ages Christianity where they were burning people at the stake for any attempt to question the ideology.

Example: Giordano Bruno was an Italian friar who among other interests was into cosmological theories. He speculated that the stars in the night sky were in fact other suns just like ours. He further speculated that they simply didn't look like a sun because they were so far away.

But then he went further which in 1600 got him burned at the stake for heresy. He stated that he thought these other suns just like ours probably had planets around them just like the Earth. And that they likely contained people just like us.

He got the people thing wrong, but everything else was right on the button. A world changing discovery if you could call it that which could have helped put us centuries ahead of our current state of technology.  And they burned him alive for it

Another example:

Of course Galileo declined to do so and spent the last 25 years or so of his life under house arrest. Better than Bruno I suppose. But the thing is that fundamentalist middle ages mindset is where Islam has stuck to this day and that puts it on a whole other threat level than Christianity does.

The Americans have their share of fundies but they're not cutting peoples heads off for criticising them nor doing that and more globally. 

But if any journalist were to publish an opinion critical of say Muhammad you can be guaranteed that guys twitter feed would quickly be flooded with rape and death threats for him his wife and kids.

And as we know these threats have been known to be carried out. The attack on the Charlie Hebdo satirical magazine office in 2015 killed 12.

And it's not just journalists it's any media personality at all. Theo Van Gough was murdered in the Netherlands in 2004 for a film they objected to. And with that in mind I have seen many people in the media say they would absolutely think twice about making a comment on Islam.

Think about that. People are scared to even talk about it. That alone should be enough to set alarm bells ringing. 

A very long winded but excellent post. Really hits the nail on the head

6 hours ago, JFK-1 said:

Another example:

Start by saying no such thing as Islamaphobia then start annIslamaphobic rant, with some anti Christian shite thrown in for good measure

43 minutes ago, XB52 said:

Start by saying no such thing as Islamaphobia then start annIslamaphobic rant, with some anti Christian shite thrown in for good measure

I will start this by saying that's all you want to niggle over from that post? While coming across as presenting it in a hostile manner. You can drop that if you want to discuss anything with me.

As for the word in question it's exactly what I said it is. A word devised to create a situation where it would be at the very least politically incorrect to even talk about the Islamic ideology. And it works, you dived in because of that campaign.

And you're not going to waste any more of my time on this if that's all you want to niggle over from that entire post.

3 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

I will start this by saying that's all you want to niggle over from that post? While coming across as presenting it in a hostile manner. You can drop that if you want to discuss anything with me.

As for the word in question it's exactly what I said it is. A word devised to create a situation where it would be at the very least politically incorrect to even talk about the Islamic ideology. And it works, you dived in because of that campaign.

And you're not going to waste any more of my time on this if that's all you want to niggle over from that entire post.

It's hardly a niggle when you've undermined yourself. :laugh:

Level of latent boomer fascism on KB never fails to amuse.

7 hours ago, JFK-1 said:

Bollocks

3 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Bollocks

Tell you what, you're looking like a stalker with a vocabulary limited to a word or two. More a grunt than speech. I will now ignore you as a waste of pixels. Grunt away to yourself or a zoo gallery of your choice.

4 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

Tell you what, you're looking like a stalker with a vocabulary limited to a word or two. More a grunt than speech. I will now ignore you as a waste of pixels. Grunt away to yourself or a zoo gallery of your choice.

Eh? Have we spoken before?

Flounce away in a huff all you like I couldn't care less. You're talking bollocks though.

22 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

If you start by denying Islamaphobia then that's what I pick on. It shows your bias and is what I concentrated on. 

7 hours ago, JFK-1 said:

Another example:

Good post. 

2 minutes ago, XB52 said:

If you start by denying Islamaphobia then that's what I pick on. It shows your bias and is what I concentrated on. 

If you start by just making a claim with absolutely nothing to support it go talk to somebody else about it. You're talking and saying nothing. So don't bother me with it till you can.

You appear to be like another posting just above you. Talking simple minded waffle like "Level of latent boomer fascism on KB"

So simple minded in fact while also, just like you, talking and saying absolutely nothing but some parrot like squawk from the latent can't read anything beyond 500 
characters witless text/tweet twats on KB.

So simple minded in fact it's demonstrating a facet of exactly what I said. Make it at least politically incorrect to even talk about it in any negative way?

Make it politically incorrect, now even fascist apparently, to present anything remotely negative about Islam. And not you nor any other tweet twat is going to convince me otherwise or make me stop talking about it with nothing but a sentence or even less saying absolutely nothing of any content. 

Again, if that's all you have go discuss it with somebody else who is interested and talks in tweets. It's not me.  Because you currently have nothing.

21 hours ago, Ulysses said:

If they're both visitors, maybe they could both **** off home?

Has Ulysses' account been hacked? ;)

highlandjambo3
22 hours ago, Ray Gin said:

I'd say if you are reading out loud on public transport you deserve to be told to STFU, whatever it is you are reading.

Yes but, what’s the interpretation of loud?  The clip does not show how loud he was when reading.  I’m a bit on the fence with this one, if he was fairly quiet like a normal voice level when talking to someone next to you, I don’t think I’d have said anything, if he was loud and preaching a bit, I’d have probably said something about being rude, if I was really offended I’d probably just move seats.  As soon as the guy used the work “Cristian” it was never going to end.  It was clearly about what was being said and not how loud it was. The guy reading seemed to have his phone quick to hand like he was anticipating a reaction.  I quite often hear other peoples conversation in places like restaurants and they’re a few tables away from me.

1 hour ago, JFK-1 said:

If you start by just making a claim with absolutely nothing to support it go talk to somebody else about it. You're talking and saying nothing. So don't bother me with it till you can.

You appear to be like another posting just above you. Talking simple minded waffle like "Level of latent boomer fascism on KB"

So simple minded in fact while also, just like you, talking and saying absolutely nothing but some parrot like squawk from the latent can't read anything beyond 500 

So simple minded in fact it's demonstrating a facet of exactly what I said. Make it at least politically incorrect to even talk about it in any negative way?

Make it politically incorrect, now even fascist apparently, to present anything remotely negative about Islam. And not you nor any other tweet twat is going to convince me otherwise or make me stop talking about it with nothing but a sentence or even less saying absolutely nothing of any content. 

Again, if that's all you have go discuss it with somebody else who is interested and talks in tweets. It's not me.  Because you currently have nothing.

Wow, a bunch of words with absolutely nothing to do with what i  posted. We get it, you don't like Muslims and don't believe that islamaphobia exists so I'll leave you to your bigotry

Doctor FinnBarr
20 hours ago, jonesy said:

Used to live next to three bloody mosques in a small village in Tunisia. Used to love the sound as well. Until it woke me up at 5.30am every morning :( 

When we holidayed in Turkey wife always complained about the call to prayer at daybreak. Never bothered me, I'd discovered Raki.

2 hours ago, JFK-1 said:

You're talking bollocks though, islamaphobia is a thing, it exists.

2 minutes ago, jonesy said:

In a way, you've kind of proved his point for him, though. Criticism of Islam does become automatically labelled as Islamophobia by many. At what point does criticism become '-phobia'? It appears very subjective and a great 'card' to play when people find genuine and honest issues with your own perspective (which is wrapped up in identity, so it's understandable).

Interestingly, I've heard a few comedy podcasts from the Beeb recently in which Christianity is openly mocked. Can't see them doing that with Judaism, Islam, Hinduism, etc...

In no way is criticism of Islam Islamaphobic and that is not what I said. Criticism of any religion is fine but he stated that there is no such thing as islamaphobia which is rubbish. I agree that mocking Christianity is seen as fair game which, as a Christian I don't like, but come to expect it, especially on here. Not something I get worked up about though. 

On 03/12/2021 at 13:34, i8hibsh said:

Some of the info that came out the Manchester arena bombings was quite frankly alarming.  The bomber was acting suspicious to all around him but the security guard felt he would be being racist if he approached him.

How do you know what the security guard felt? 

He maybe just said that after realising he'd messed up big time and not done his job properly? 

7 hours ago, XB52 said:

In no way is criticism of Islam Islamaphobic and that is not what I said. Criticism of any religion is fine but he stated that there is no such thing as islamaphobia which is rubbish. I agree that mocking Christianity is seen as fair game which, as a Christian I don't like, but come to expect it, especially on here. Not something I get worked up about though. 

Christianity is fair game, as is the rest of the culture you came from. I may not be a Christian but it's the predominant religion where I grew up and I've seen and read enough about it to make my own mind up. It's been a big influence in the society and culture I grew up in, while I've never even been to a Muslim funeral.

So yeah, I get why people think Christianity gets picked on but it's just because it's the one we have experience of.

3 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Christianity is fair game, as is the rest of the culture you came from. I may not be a Christian but it's the predominant religion where I grew up and I've seen and read enough about it to make my own mind up. It's been a big influence in the society and culture I grew up in, while I've never even been to a Muslim funeral.

So yeah, I get why people think Christianity gets picked on but it's just because it's the one we have experience of.

That's an interesting point about experience. Maybe I'm more tuned in to Islamaphobia as I lived in Saudi Arabia for 6 years back in the 80s/90s and also been holidaying in Turkey for over 20 years. Mind you there's a big difference in the way Islam is practiced and the impact it has in these 2 countries

19 minutes ago, XB52 said:

That's an interesting point about experience. Maybe I'm more tuned in to Islamaphobia as I lived in Saudi Arabia for 6 years back in the 80s/90s and also been holidaying in Turkey for over 20 years. Mind you there's a big difference in the way Islam is practiced and the impact it has in these 2 countries

It's the same with governments, I'm much more at ease slagging ours because I understand the context, they influence my life, I know enough about the culture and set up to have opinions. I stay clear of slagging the French government because I know **** all about any of that.

I do think religion is pretty daft in general but I know the square root of nowt about any of the others - it won't be Shi'ites v sunnis in the next OF game!

11 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Look, if you're going to have a chuckle at one Abrahamic religion, you should be free to do them all. I've lived in Muslim countries/areas (Tunisia and Xinjiang) and have Muslim friends/colleagues. I love those places and the people there deeply and they have shaped my life in many ways. But that's not to say I for one second don't see some elements of (radical) Islam as incompatible with my values and fundamentally dangerous. I don't think it's hard to reach that evaluation, nor should we be scared of making it.

Do what you want, all I'm saying is that stuff from your own culture absolutely is fair game

Doctor FinnBarr
27 minutes ago, Locky said:

I'm no vegetarian, but battering someone for reading out a meat-free substitute is scandalous.

I get it even if no one else does, can you imagine currywurst without meat?

7 minutes ago, FinnBarr Saunders said:

I get it even if no one else does, can you imagine currywurst without meat?

FinnBarr, you've just ruined my night. :sick:

Doctor FinnBarr
36 minutes ago, Locky said:

FinnBarr, you've just ruined my night. :sick:

Aw, sorry mate. Maybe showing my age now but I worked in West Germany near the town of Seigan in the late 80s. When we were dayshift we always went to Filthy Freds Imbiss (our name for the place) for currywurst. Always made him sneeze over the food as he sprinkled the curry powder.

3 minutes ago, FinnBarr Saunders said:

Aw, sorry mate. Maybe showing my age now but I worked in West Germany near the town of Seigan in the late 80s. When we were dayshift we always went to Filthy Freds Imbiss (our name for the place) for currywurst. Always made him sneeze over the food as he sprinkled the curry powder.

:lol: I'd still rather eat Filthy Freds snot riddled Currywurst than the veggy alternative. **** I miss Currywurst.

2 hours ago, XB52 said:

I've got a good friend who's a Saudi and he taught me the Salawat for praying to Muhammad. It's been great to use back at home in the work environment! I can get away with at least three breaks to help skive during the day. It's healthier than smoking. 

1 hour ago, jonesy said:

Look, if you're going to have a chuckle at one Abrahamic religion, you should be free to do them all. I've lived in Muslim countries/areas (Tunisia and Xinjiang) and have Muslim friends/colleagues. I love those places and the people there deeply and they have shaped my life in many ways. But that's not to say I for one second don't see some elements of (radical) Islam as incompatible with my values and fundamentally dangerous. I don't think it's hard to reach that evaluation, nor should we be scared of making it.

1 hour ago, Smithee said:

Do what you want, all I'm saying is that stuff from your own culture absolutely is fair game

It's not that long ago since it was a complete no-no to have a chuckle at Catholicism in this country, or indeed other Christian religions.  It wouldn't have gotten you killed, but you might have lost your job - and it's not that long since we took a blasphemy law off the statute books.

I see some elements of radical Islam as incompatible with my values and fundamentally dangerous.  I also see some elements of fundamentalist Christianity in the same light, and I imagine the Rohingya might regard the local flavour of Buddhism as having a sharper and more bitter taste than the version sold to middle-class punters in Dublin or Edinburgh.

That said, I find it hard to imagine anyone in a comedy club in downtown Riyadh or Teheran doing satirical stand-up and poking fun at Islam's wild and wacky ways in quite the way I've seen comics have a go at Christianity, or Judaism for that matter, on stage in Ireland, the UK and the US.

Doctor FinnBarr
48 minutes ago, Locky said:

:lol: I'd still rather eat Filthy Freds snot riddled Currywurst than the veggy alternative. **** I miss Currywurst.

Plus point was he sold Hachenburger.

17 hours ago, XB52 said:

Wow, a bunch of words with absolutely nothing to do with what i  posted. We get it, you don't like Muslims and don't believe that islamaphobia exists so I'll leave you to your bigotry

After having it pointed out to you multiple times you continue talking and saying absolutely nothing. You clearly know a total of F all about this subject which is why you can't say a thing about it.

And you in your ignorance think you can run around calling people who actually can construct an argument a bigot for doing so? Well that makes me feel entitled to brand you so stupid you don't have the IQ to comprehend your own stupidity.

This time I will make sure you wont be grunting while saying nothing again, or not to me at any rate. You can go into ignore with a couple of others who couldn't construct a sentence between them.

12 hours ago, Savage Vince said:

How do you know what the security guard felt? 

He maybe just said that after realising he'd messed up big time and not done his job properly? 

Only going with what he said in court. Usually a good place to get the truth.

And that IS him admitting he never done his job properly

:facepalm:

Edited by i8hibsh

2 hours ago, JFK-1 said:

After having it pointed out to you multiple times you continue talking and saying absolutely nothing. You clearly know a total of F all about this subject which is why you can't say a thing about it.

And you in your ignorance think you can run around calling people who actually can construct an argument a bigot for doing so? Well that makes me feel entitled to brand you so stupid you don't have the IQ to comprehend your own stupidity.

This time I will make sure you wont be grunting while saying nothing again, or not to me at any rate. You can go into ignore with a couple of others who couldn't construct a sentence between them.

You can't read or understand a word I posted so off you go in a hissy fit. I'll repeat for the last time (you won't read it as you don't like being called out), you said there was no such thing as Islamaphobia and that is not true. 

P. S. Been a member of Mensa so I'll put my IQ up against yours any day (not that having a high IQ means much) 

Edited by XB52

22 hours ago, jonesy said:

Interestingly, I've heard a few comedy podcasts from the Beeb recently in which Christianity is openly mocked. Can't see them doing that with Judaism, Islam, Hinduism, etc...

You could always rummage through the Beebs back catalogue from the 70s, 80s, 90s and Noughties. Sit coms, cop dramas, war series, dramas, there's lots to choose from, always has been. 

highlandjambo3

I’m absolutely not the slightest bit religious in any way…..I follow no faith whatsoever, it gives me clarity that I will never be offended by religion as I don’t believe in any form of faith or religious belief.  There is absolutely not one person on this planet, past or present can convince me otherwise, not a single person has any proof whatsoever that there is some sort of godly being watching down on us or, some sort of paradise or afterlife.  Reading religious stuff from books doesn’t make it true whether 100 are reading or 100 million……just not proven…….it’s just the end, that’s all.  

I’ll go to church for a wedding/funeral out of respect as I I do respect other peoples choice to believe in some sort of faith.  I will not deliberately set out to offend anyone but, I do know that my lack of faith may offend some people but, that’s their issue if I’m not singing from their song sheet.

38 minutes ago, highlandjambo3 said:

I’m absolutely not the slightest bit religious in any way…..I follow no faith whatsoever, it gives me clarity that I will never be offended by religion as I don’t believe in any form of faith or religious belief.  There is absolutely not one person on this planet, past or present can convince me otherwise, not a single person has any proof whatsoever that there is some sort of godly being watching down on us or, some sort of paradise or afterlife.  Reading religious stuff from books doesn’t make it true whether 100 are reading or 100 million……just not proven…….it’s just the end, that’s all.  

I’ll go to church for a wedding/funeral out of respect as I I do respect other peoples choice to believe in some sort of faith.  I will not deliberately set out to offend anyone but, I do know that my lack of faith may offend some people but, that’s their issue if I’m not singing from their song sheet.

And that's how it should be. 

1 hour ago, Savage Vince said:

Oh dearie me. 

1 hour ago, jonesy said:

It was basically a training video for my ELT career.

I loved it . Always made me laugh . Mind I was quite young wen it was on on a Saturday night I recall . 

3 hours ago, JamesM48 said:

I loved it . Always made me laugh . Mind I was quite young wen it was on on a Saturday night I recall . 

Friday night. 7pm. 

55 minutes ago, Savage Vince said:

Friday night. 7pm. 

First and second series was a Friday night third and 4th a Saturday night !