Man gets verbally abused on tube for reading the Quron aloud

JudyJudyJudy

• JudyJudyJudy changed the title to Man gets verbally abused on tube for reading the Quron aloud
  • Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• i8hibsh

• hughesie27

• Unknown user

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Commuter launches verbal attack on Muslim man reading Quran aloud on London Underground (gbnews.uk)

Why would you read any book aloud or at least at a level another person can hear  on any mode of transport? 

Discuss .....

I wouldn't but nothing stopping anyone else from. Why would you attack someone for doing so. Would he have done the same if it was Harry Potter?

I think it is safe to say that in this day and age I would be pretty ****ing worried if I was on the tube and I witnessed this.

You can read the above and get your kickers in a twist which I am sure the usual plebs on here will but be in denial or not there IS an Islamic terror threat in this country.  Not with Muslims peacefully observing their faith in the sanctity of their mosques but in public places and this is alarming and the person doing this should know better.

5 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

I wouldn't but nothing stopping anyone else from. Why would you attack someone for doing so. Would he have done the same if it was Harry Potter?

Know many Harry Potter fanatics willing to carry out Jihad do you?

Just now, i8hibsh said:

Know many Harry Potter fanatics willing to carry out Jihad do you?

So the attack was warranted?

4 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

No he probably wouldn't have but he might have been annoyed still as the guy was reading aloud. However his anger was clearly stoked by contempt for the religions. To be honest it would have annoyed me too . I cant abide people preaching religious garbage to me and invading my space. Why was he speaking aloud? And who was taking the video? I have exactly the same issue when i walk along Princes Street and we often pass by a guy who has a sandwich board about religion and " gods wrath" etc against various people.  GFT if you want to practice your fantasy land faith and belief's there are various building's to do it in. 

4 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

I think it is safe to say that in this day and age I would be pretty ****ing worried if I was on the tube and I witnessed this.

You can read the above and get your kickers in a twist which I am sure the usual plebs on here will but be in denial or not there IS an Islamic terror threat in this country.  Not with Muslims peacefully observing their faith in the sanctity of their mosques but in public places and this is alarming and the person doing this should know better.

Yes i might have been alarmed too . 

2 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

No he probably wouldn't have but he might have been annoyed still as the guy was reading aloud. However his anger was clearly stoked by contempt for the religions. To be honest it would have annoyed me too . I cant abide people preaching religious garbage to me and invading my space. Why was he speaking aloud? And who was taking the video? I have exactly the same issue when i walk along Princes Street and we often pass by a guy who has a sandwich board about religion and " gods wrath" etc against various people.  GFT if you want to practice your fantasy land faith and belief's there are various building's to do it in. 

Just do what I do and go about your day to day life knowing you are more intelligent than anyone who believes in a God. You'll be happy when you see them rather than scared or angry.

8 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

He should definitely know better and can't be shocked that this was a reaction he got. Still isn't justified.

Just now, hughesie27 said:

Just do what I do and go about your day to day life knowing you are more intelligent than anyone who believes in a God. You'll be happy when you see them rather than scared or angry.

I never said i was scared or angry . I just get pissed off when i see that nut job in Princes street spewing his bile.  To be honest every time he sees me he looks away as he knows i give him the finger lol ...and not in a good way.... :) 

I mind a mental woman used to get on the 44 wearing headphones and singing hymns, quoting the Bible.

She punched my ex in the ribs for sitting too close.

I'd be wary of all religious zealots quoting scriptures on public transport. Not because of a perceived terrorist threat, but because they're clearly mental.

10 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

So the attack was warranted?

Depends if he was asked politely to stop first (which is how it should be) and he continued.

It seems to be a one way street at every opportunity.

He would have knows EXACTLY what he was doing.  There are countless ways to practice his faith in this great country and he can do so with all freedom.   But in today's world not on a ****ing crowded tube!

How was the person who attacked him to know this was not a threat?

Edited by i8hibsh

1 minute ago, hughesie27 said:

He should definitely know better and can't be shocked that this was a reaction he got. Still isn't justified.

He caused the aggressor to probably be rather scared for a variety of reasons really.  His shouting and screaming was unacceptable but understandable.  .   

4 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

I never said i was scared or angry . I just get pissed off when i see that nut job in Princes street spewing his bile.  To be honest every time he sees me he looks away as he knows i give him the finger lol ...and not in a good way.... :) 

pissed off...angry...i might have been alarmed too...scared

Edited by hughesie27

4 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

Depends if he was asked politely to stop first (which is how it should be) and he continued.

It seems to be a one way street at every opportunity.

He would have knows EXACTLY what he was doing.  There are countless ways to practice his faith in this great country and he can do so with all freedom.   But in today's world not on a ****ing crowded tube!

How was the person who attacked him to know this was not a threat?

Even is he asked nicely, he doesn't need the guys permission. **** em.

Some of the info that came out the Manchester arena bombings was quite frankly alarming.  The bomber was acting suspicious to all around him but the security guard felt he would be being racist if he approached him.

Time we start putting the safety of the people on our shores first before feelings or I hope no one here lives to regret it and loses precious loved ones etc.

1 minute ago, i8hibsh said:

Some of the info that came out the Manchester arena bombings was quite frankly alarming.  The bomber was acting suspicious to all around him but the security guard felt he would be being racist if he approached him.

Time we start putting the safety of the people on our shores first before feelings or I hope no one here lives to regret it and loses precious loved ones etc.

did they say what he was doing that was suspicious? 

Any chance that they might retrospectfully be looking at his behaviours and saying, aye that's dodgy.

1 minute ago, hughesie27 said:

Even is he asked nicely, he doesn't need the guys permission. **** em.

No,but he should perhaps do something that many not from here struggle with - have some ****ing respect and respect our way of life.  This is not cool and would cause a huge threat under todays circustances.

I don't think anyone would stop him from practising his faith in private, not even me and I despise religion but time we opened up the road going the other way as we continue to live our lives walking down a one way street.

1 minute ago, Ray Gin said:

I'd say if you are reading out loud on public transport you deserve to be told to STFU, whatever it is you are reading.

And this of course.

3 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

did they say what he was doing that was suspicious? 

Any chance that they might retrospectfully be looking at his behaviours and saying, aye that's dodgy.

Seemingly just kept walking around a small area just looking.  Loitering I guess we could call it.  He had no purpose I think was the term.  

1 minute ago, i8hibsh said:

No,but he should perhaps do something that many not from here struggle with - have some ****ing respect and respect our way of life.  This is not cool and would cause a huge threat under todays circustances.

I don't think anyone would stop him from practising his faith in private, not even me and I despise religion but time we opened up the road going the other way as we continue to live our lives walking down a one way street.

In my life I've experienced a shit load of lack of respect from people 'from here' than all other nations combined. Including when in those other countries and Brits are there too. You're talking shit there.

2 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

In my life I've experienced a shit load of lack of respect from people 'from here' than all other nations combined. Including when in those other countries and Brits are there too. You're talking shit there.

Obviously, but it is more important for visitors to show respect.  The privilege is theirs not ours.

Look, I am not going to put a caveat in every post stipulating that there are dodgy people from here too - obviously this is the case.  This thread is not about that.  It is about 1 guy in particular.

Edited by i8hibsh

Again from an older generation but could well see many years ago how that could have become physical action, working men going home from or to work, going home from an away game at Tynecastle or Easter Road where the game did not go well might have been motivated to remove the offending document with minimal grace. There was always to an extent that your religion was your business, when it was imposed on us, then it became offensive. In a todays society where various sects are suspected and accused  of horrible acts of terrorism, one should show respect, and consideration for those around who do not share your particular views.

1 minute ago, Sharpie said:

Again from an older generation but could well see many years ago how that could have become physical action, working men going home from or to work, going home from an away game at Tynecastle or Easter Road where the game did not go well might have been motivated to remove the offending document with minimal grace. There was always to an extent that your religion was your business, when it was imposed on us, then it became offensive. In a todays society where various sects are suspected and accused  of horrible acts of terrorism, one should show respect, and consideration for those around who do not share your particular views.

Without doubt.  People are not knocking down doors to people's homes and demanding they don't practice their faith.  To most believers faith is personal to them and I respect this if not their beliefs.

I can tell you now that if a Jewish man was on a train in Riyadh and he started quoting verse from the Hebrew Bible or whatever it is then a verbal assault would be considered a lucky escape for him.

I haven't seen the video, but from the discussion here it would seem that the guy doing the verbal abusing is a South African.  I wouldn't have thought that verbally abusing people on the Tube was a very British or Christian thing to do. Perhaps the South African guy has less respect for the British way of life than he realises?

Is the guy getting verbally abused a visitor or British?  I'm not planning on looking at the video to find out, but someone else who's already seen it might know.

If they're both visitors, maybe they could both **** off home?

If someone started reading anything out loud while sitting near me on public transport, I'd ask them to knock it off.  Or else start singing.  Verbal abuse isn't on, though if I started singing that might qualify as verbal abuse.

I8, if you're going to leap in with both feet it's a good idea to bring your head as well.  Just a thought. :thumbsup:

James, it's Gormless Backwoodsman News you're quoting.  FFS, eh? :laugh:

1 hour ago, JamesM48 said:

Commuter launches verbal attack on Muslim man reading Quran aloud on London Underground (gbnews.uk)

Why would you read any book aloud or at least at a level another person can hear  on any mode of transport? 

Discuss .....

What's your point ?

He shouldn't read out loud ?

He shouldn't read the Koran out loud ?

No one should be reading any religious material out loud on public transport? 

19 minutes ago, Ulysses said:

I haven't seen the video, but from the discussion here it would seem that the guy doing the verbal abusing is a South African.  I wouldn't have thought that verbally abusing people on the Tube was a very British or Christian thing to do. Perhaps the South African guy has less respect for the British way of life than he realises?

Is the guy getting verbally abused a visitor or British?  I'm not planning on looking at the video to find out, but someone else who's already seen it might know.

If someone started reading anything out loud while sitting near me on public transport, I'd ask them to knock it off.  Or else start singing.  Verbal abuse isn't on, though if I started singing that might qualify as verbal abuse.

I8, if you're going to leap in with both feet it's a good idea to bring your head as well.  Just a thought. :thumbsup:

The guy reading out loud sounds British to me.

The guy having a go, doesn't sound British. Neither are behaving in what I'd consider a stereotypically British way...if such a thing even exists but only one seems to have been being an arse and it wasn't the guy reading out loud.

Edited by Taffin

5 minutes ago, jonesy said:

No, just threatening the author because of her belief in biology.

Good point 

Fxxx the SPFL
1 hour ago, hughesie27 said:

Aethiests rule ya bass 👍

I as I probably should have done earlier watched the video. I don't think either really comes out with any credit. The train was pretty low occupancy either could have moved and been well away from the other. Both were adamant about their individual right one to pray the other not to listen to it. The Muslim gentleman I am sure could have read silently into his mind as opposed to having to vocalise the prayer, I am sure his god would have understood. The critic also could have moved, but he was going to satisfy his itch to tell a Muslim how he felt, and strike a blow for his anti feelings. Quite honestly I wouldn't piss on either of them if they were on fire.

Audio books are quite soothing.

I listen to radio Scotland a lot these days.

I quite like the sound of Arabic calls to mosque if you know what I mean.

Also quite like gospel church sounds.

Choirs are not to bad either.

Jeffros Furios

It's bad enough hearing some prick's telephone conversation never mind listening to someone who though a guy jumped on a winged horse and split the moon in half .

Pretty decent drugs these guys take 😀

2 hours ago, Ray Gin said:

I'd say if you are reading out loud on public transport you deserve to be told to STFU, whatever it is you are reading.

Correct.

Doesn't matter what he was reading, he was obviously trying to provoke a reaction.

33 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Used to live next to three bloody mosques in a small village in Tunisia. Used to love the sound as well. Until it woke me up at 5.30am every morning :( 

Yes I understand lives next to Port Said for over a year, heard the call to prayer regularly throughout the day, and saw the believers drop to their knees and touch their forehead to the ground in prayer, after a while it just becomes part of the day and life. I have to say though never heard them pray or read their biblical book out loud. Any way it was their Country.

1 hour ago, Ulysses said:

I like gormless backwoodsman news 😂

The sooner people realise,  living modern life by standards set-out 2500yrs ago; in middle eastern transcripts, is crazy - the better we'll all be.

Sadly won't happen, because people are thick. 

7 hours ago, i8hibsh said:

Without doubt.  People are not knocking down doors to people's homes and demanding they don't practice their faith.  To most believers faith is personal to them and I respect this if not their beliefs.

I can tell you now that if a Jewish man was on a train in Riyadh and he started quoting verse from the Hebrew Bible or whatever it is then a verbal assault would be considered a lucky escape for him.

Is a verbal assault a reasonable reaction for you?

25 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Is a verbal assault a reasonable reaction for you?

Only if it's done by one of ours (a white South African) to a visitor (a Muslim Londoner).

9 hours ago, JamesM48 said:

Discuss .....

Someone did this while i was on a packed train in Berlin.

I was shitting myself. 

11 minutes ago, indianajones said:

Someone did this while i was on a packed train in Berlin.

I was shitting myself. 

I would be too . 

1 minute ago, JamesM48 said:

I would be too . 

We actually got off at the next stop. 

It was pretty nerve wrecking. The guy was sweating like mad as well (it was summer but still the imagination takes over).

The Real Maroonblood
6 hours ago, Jeffros Furios said:

It's bad enough hearing some prick's telephone conversation never mind listening to someone who though a guy jumped on a winged horse and split the moon in half .

Depends on the conversation.

Nearly missed my stop once because it was a juicy conversation.

😉

Just now, The Real Maroonblood said:

Depends on the conversation.

Nearly missed my stop once because it was a juicy conversation.

😉

😂😂

6 hours ago, Jeffros Furios said:

I find conversations on buses fascinating . I mean listening in to them . I’m constantly amazed what people talk about either on the phone or to each other knowing That others can hear .