Americans and Religion

JFK-1

Love a line from one of the guys in this clip.

"This is America. Australia got the convicts, Canada got the French, we got the puritans we're stuck with them. We're never going to have a viable presidential candidate who doesn't believe some form of religious idiocy"

Edited by JFK-1

3 hours ago, Cruyff said:

I'm glad I wasn't born in America. 

Me too.

The more I see of the place due to the majority now having a mobile phone and posting everything as it happens, the more I dislike the place.

What two better things are there to be fanatical about than God and guns.

:facepalm:

It is nothing to do with intellect as some of the smartest minds in human history have believed this bullshit - it just shows you that as a human race people are very easily brainwashed.  So many people just have no desire to think for themselves - take social media for example.

People believe in absolutely ****ing anything - very scary.

4 hours ago, JackLadd said:

100m of them are evangelical fundamentalist bible thumpers. Same people who elected Trump by and large.

I discovered recently that the Procurator Fiscal has an unusually high number of high ranking Evangelical Church members in positions of control.

The same people have imported an American fundamentalist minister for their church in Elgin Terrace/Brunton Gardens. So if you want to get away with speeding don't bother with Masonic signs or the like just tell them you were hurrying home before the end of days.

7 hours ago, jb102 said:

I discovered recently that the Procurator Fiscal has an unusually high number of high ranking Evangelical Church members in positions of control.

The same people have imported an American fundamentalist minister for their church in Elgin Terrace/Brunton Gardens. So if you want to get away with speeding don't bother with Masonic signs or the like just tell them you were hurrying home before the end of days.

Good tip. If that fails I'll go with Satan made me and slip on a maga hat.

Let's try not to forget that loads of Americans are sound and that America apart the world is full of nut job religious wackos.

And also its had it's fair share of political isms atheist nut job wackos.

They're no better or worse.

The trouble is that their nut jobs can access serious cash and weapons.

Oh and a wee reminder our very own Tony Blair knelt with George W and prayed before unleashing shock and awe.

He believed it was the right thing to do .

Shout out to the sound Americans .

Some of their legislature is perhaps some of the greatest ethically intended ever written.

Although the road to hell is paved with good intentions.

On 03/12/2021 at 03:03, JFK-1 said:

Love a line from one of the guys in this clip.

"This is America. Australia got the convicts, Canada got the French, we got the puritans we're stuck with them. We're never going to have a viable presidential candidate who doesn't believe some form of religious idiocy"

Could watch Bill Maher & Christopher Hitchens all day long.

Hitchens interestingly, disputes the quote in your OP ; citing Lincoln & Jefferson as having no invisible means of support.

A wonderful wordsmith, and a shining light on religions of all shapes.

Edited by felix

14 minutes ago, felix said:

Could watch Bill Maher & Christopher Hitchens all day long.

Hitchens interestingly, disputes the quote in your OP ; citing Lincoln & Jefferson as having no invisible means of support.

A wonderful wordsmith, and a shining light on religions of all shapes.

Interesting point but I think the guy who made the quote followed Hitchens remark with "they're not running now"

As for Hitchens irreplaceable.