A country fit for heroes?

Konrad von Carstein

36 minutes ago, Konrad von Carstein said:

Are the current Brexit difficulties/Conservative Party shenanigans emboldening these sad sacks?

After complaints from the public, police arrived at the Blackwall Tunnel and the group ran away

Absolutely.

100%.

Yes. 

40 minutes ago, Konrad von Carstein said:

Are the current Brexit difficulties/Conservative Party shenanigans emboldening these sad sacks?

After complaints from the public, police arrived at the Blackwall Tunnel and the group ran away

Someone will be along soon to tell us they're not racist.

If the far-right win the French elections (which is a distinct possibility) then the shite really will hit the fan.

Edited by Cade

Not wanting to get involved in the brexit/racist crap but I will answer the question.

No, I don't believe it is 'fit for for heroes'.  We give students 'studying' hotel and catering discounts in many places but I have never seen a 'Serviceman or woman's discount' offered.

We give 4 star accommodation, 3 square meals, health care, education and pocket money to someone who arrived on our shores illegally the prior day but we have ex service men and women living in squalor.

15 hours ago, Sooperstar said:

Someone will be along soon to tell us they're not racist.

They may well be I have no idea.  What I can tell you is that they don't represent 17,410,742 people.

WorldChampions1902
2 hours ago, i8hibsh said:

Not wanting to get involved in the brexit/racist crap but I will answer the question.

No, I don't believe it is 'fit for for heroes'.  We give students 'studying' hotel and catering discounts in many places but I have never seen a 'Serviceman or woman's discount' offered.

We give 4 star accommodation, 3 square meals, health care, education and pocket money to someone who arrived on our shores illegally the prior day but we have ex service men and women living in squalor.

When Lloyd George made his famous “A country fit for heroes” speech shortly after WW1, that promised so much but ultimately delivered low wages, poverty and appalling housing conditions (sound familiar?), he resigned a few years later. There were incidences of our WW1 veterans making symbolic protests in those subsequent years, including returning their medals, as they felt betrayed by their country after sacrificing so much.

100+ years on……..plus ca change……?