Arthur Labinjo-Hughes

Салатные палочки

Салатные палочки

Another child failed by his carers and the system.  

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-59489765

Absolutely heartbreaking story. Beaten and tortured by his sick dad and equally sick girlfriend. He was starved, forced to stand in isolation for hours, give food laden with salt. He was so weak on the day he died that he couldn't lift the bedding he used for sleeping on the couch, which can be seen on the CCTV that they installed to keep watch over him. 

His grandmother had tried to forward photos of injuries to the Social Work department who refused. She herself was cut off from the family after this. Even when he died, the girlfriend blamed the injuries on the poor wee boy himself which was shown on the police bodycam. 

What goes through the minds of people who do this and what must go through the minds of a department who are there to protect children for them not to follow up these concerns? 

Heads I'm sure will roll but will anything be learned? 

It's OK, they'll do a thorough investigation so that they can take learnings from it and make sure it bever happens again until next time.

A particularly disturbing example.  Possibly the worst case among similar crimes.  These two are the epitome of pure evil.  The wee lad's birth mother is a convicted murdered (manslaughter) and that's what's led to these domestic arrangements of being with his scumbag father and equally vile stepmother.  It does look as if there have been horrendous failing across all agencies.

A word for the poor jury.  Two months of hearing some of the worst evidence possible.

2 hours ago, Victorian said:

A particularly disturbing example.  Possibly the worst case among similar crimes.  These two are the epitome of pure evil.  The wee lad's birth mother is a convicted murdered (manslaughter) and that's what's led to these domestic arrangements of being with his scumbag father and equally vile stepmother.  It does look as if there have been horrendous failing across all agencies.

A word for the poor jury.  Two months of hearing some of the worst evidence possible.

Possibly the worst case I've ever read about.  The line in the story about the minute's silence is itself heartbreaking.  :sad:

Don't worry, we will here about how the two evil parents are from broken homes etc etc, how the child protection agencies are overworked and underfunded, blah, blah,  when basically these people refused to see what was right in front of their eyes.

Heads should roll, but alas they won't as the buck passing will just go around in a continuous circle.

46 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

Don't worry, we will here about how the two evil parents are from broken homes etc etc, how the child protection agencies are overworked and underfunded, blah, blah,  when basically these people refused to see what was right in front of their eyes.

Heads should roll, but alas they won't as the buck passing will just go around in a continuous circle.

Correct. " Lessons to be learned " .. " agencies need to work together "  "agencies need to share information" 

However the real truth is professionals are scared or unwilling to challenge those scum bags.   Its as simple as that. There are young inexperienced social workers who lack confidence and authority to challenge those type of parents about their parenting of their  children. That's the big issue here i feel .

A complex web of the parents maybe being above the threshold of " good enough" parenting as assessed by professional social workers but by the ordinary man or woman in the street as absolutely  not good enough,. In fact even by anyone standard their parenting would fall at any level. 

Those children are the most vulnerable people in our society and are let down by a bunch of so called professionals afraid to assert themselves as officers of the state to protect those kids.  Another tragedy. I wonder that the pathetic excuses will be from social work. I know some people will argue that we shouldn't proportion blame on the social workers but who the heel else was assigned to protect this boy?  Yes the parents are ultimately to blame but the state has to shoulder much of the blame too. A very sad and tragic case, Its heart-breaking as it was avoidable. 

30 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Correct. " Lessons to be learned " .. " agencies need to work together "  "agencies need to share information" 

However the real truth is professionals are scared or unwilling to challenge those scum bags.   Its as simple as that. There are young inexperienced social workers who lack confidence and authority to challenge those type of parents about their parenting of their  children. That's the big issue here i feel .

A complex web of the parents maybe being above the threshold of " good enough" parenting as assessed by professional social workers but by the ordinary man or woman in the street as absolutely  not good enough,. In fact even by anyone standard their parenting would fall at any level. 

Those children are the most vulnerable people in our society and are let down by a bunch of so called professionals afraid to assert themselves as officers of the state to protect those kids.  Another tragedy. I wonder that the pathetic excuses will be from social work. I know some people will argue that we shouldn't proportion blame on the social workers but who the heel else was assigned to protect this boy?  Yes the parents are ultimately to blame but the state has to shoulder much of the blame too. A very sad and tragic case, Its heart-breaking as it was avoidable. 

I don't know what the answer is, but I know this much - I wouldn't be a social worker for any money you care to name.  Not a chance.  I did some work on recruitment and development of social workers with agencies here.  In most areas it is difficult work - but the burnout rate among social workers dealing with children was like nothing I've ever seen.  I did work with people who had jumped at the chance to get out of child and family social work because they found it heartbreaking, soul-destroying, and almost impossible to do anything to fix the problems that they encountered.  In one case (only an anecdote, but real all the same), I did some work with a person who voluntarily took a pay cut to get out of child and family social work - to work in the prison system instead.  Obviously we have our own system and other countries have theirs, so what I saw isn't necessarily relevant to (say) an English experience.

Edited by Ulysses

Given my area of work I have a very high tolerance to these sort of cases and it takes a lot to get through my emotional barriers. This poor wee boy and his story just crushes me and I’m not ashamed to admit I’ve cried reading about him. I can’t stop picturing him sitting there saying “nobody loves me” over and over again. Breaks my heart and makes me want to hug my own children even harder and make sure they know they are loved and safe.

Rest in peace little Arthur 💙

Jeffros Furios

The wee laddie's maternal mother in jail for stabbing her partner to death , a horrible chain of events .

SectionDJambo

I only heard the tv news last night from the next room. I heard this poor wee boy pleading for food and some love. It was a very heartbreaking listen.

How any human being could mistreat a child, especially his own child, like this evil pair did is just disgusting. They will now, hopefully, find out what it’s like to be tortured by others when they spend a very long time in prison. They’ll have to be well protected to avoid being murdered inside. 
The questions of how this was allowed to happen after the relevant authorities were alerted and visited the house should be extensive and acted upon.

30 minutes ago, Alex Kintner said:

Given my area of work I have a very high tolerance to these sort of cases and it takes a lot to get through my emotional barriers. This poor wee boy and his story just crushes me and I’m not ashamed to admit I’ve cried reading about him. I can’t stop picturing him sitting there saying “nobody loves me” over and over again. Breaks my heart and makes me want to hug my own children even harder and make sure they know they are loved and safe.

Same here Alex. I actually find these stories so hard to read. As i have said there were failings yet again. itl be the same excuses as before.

Professionals not consulting with each other to raise concerns. 

Inadequate . young and inexperienced social workers.

Those social workers given too many cases and not enough supervision to discuss the cases as well as their mental well being

The same social workers not having the confidence ., and it takes a lot of confidence to confront parents about their abusive parenting. Confidence comes with experience. Sometimes it can take a few years . 

And when the young social workers are competent they get the work piled on them and then reach burn out even quicker than other social workers. One of my friends was a terrific energetic intelligent social worker who was terrific with children and families. She was confident and assertive with them but burnt out really quickly and left to do another line of social work. I dont blame here 

And everyone of us has our part to play in child protection. If anyone has any concerns about the treatment of a child however minor monitor it and if the feel it is getting worsr report it to social work. I always use to say to colleagues if you see a parent in the street shouting and screaming at a kid imagine what they must be like at home if they are blaise about doing this in public.

One night i heard a child screaming his head off. I looked out the window . It was midnight. He was in a buggy and his parents were out their face arguing with each and it was clearly distressing the child. I called the police. I later found out that social work had also been informed etc. Unsure what happened but i did my duty. 

Another issue which really upsets me is the amount of kids in neglectful home  conditions. Its an area which isn't known a lot abot by the general public. But some poor kids are living in severely chronic conditions. However i am aware this can be for a whole host of reasons but its just not right. 

1 minute ago, SectionDJambo said:

I only heard the tv news last night from the next room. I heard this poor wee boy pleading for food and some love. It was a very heartbreaking listen.

How any human being could mistreat a child, especially his own child, like this evil pair did is just disgusting. They will now, hopefully, find out what it’s like to be tortured by others when they spend a very long time in prison. They’ll have to be well protected to avoid being murdered inside. 
The questions of how this was allowed to happen after the relevant authorities were alerted and visited the house should be extensive and acted upon.

I cant listen to it. 

51 minutes ago, Alex Kintner said:

Lovely to hear that last part as kids need to know they are safe. More than anything . Most parents are great with their kids I feel. Its only the really nasty ones like those two we read about but there are a lot who still need support and help in raising kids as well.

Edited by JamesM48

Ainsley Harriott

This story is heart breaking. I had to turn over the news last night when they started playing the audio recordings of the lad.

53 minutes ago, Ainsley Harriott said:

This story is heart breaking. I had to turn over the news last night when they started playing the audio recordings of the lad.

Yup I watched it and had to switch it off. Like others I was really upset which turned into rage. That poor wee guy, I really hope the judicial system throw the book and more at the scumbags that caused the wee soul's death.

Салатные палочки

Sentencing today. Seems quite quick compared to Scotland. Hope they do down for a long, long time. But unfortunately I don't think they will. 

I hope I'm wrong. 

1 hour ago, JamesM48 said:

Lovely to hear that last part as kids need to know they are safe. More than anything . Most parents are great with their kids I feel. Its only the really nasty ones like those two we read about but there are a lot who still need support and help in raising kids as well.

👍🏻

Салатные палочки
18 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

29 years ... hope she serves it all. 

Minimum means you serve the full sentence does it not? 

As for the dads sentence, it doesn't say minimum so I would imagibe it would be half. 

Hope they die prison. **** all this two wrongs nonsense. I hope they suffer. 

Just now, Alex Kintner said:

From what I read it was the partner who killed him.

Once I get passed my revulsion about it I’ll read more about it . Some social workers on various sovisl

media Asking the most obvious questions ! One even said “ if only we can inspect their houses etc” she got an angry reply from me ! “ You can , you the power and authority mandated by the state to do so “ ! 

2 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Once I get passed my revulsion about it I’ll read more about it . Some social workers on various sovisl

media Asking the most obvious questions ! One even said “ if only we can inspect their houses etc” she got an angry reply from me ! “ You can , you the power and authority mandated by the state to do so “ ! 

I can’t bring myself to start thinking about it at a professional level just now. I’ve read one article about it and my parental side took over and I struggled to get through even that one article. I’m sure there will be an SCR and hopefully it is published.

It's another debate completely but the death penalty is made for people like that.

I would flip the switch and not lose a second's sleep and I mean that 100%.

I’ve only been able to follow this story by reading headlines. I can’t bring myself to read the main stories.

Another poor wee soul that’s been fatally failed.

38 minutes ago, Alex Kintner said:

From what I read it was the partner who killed him.

it seems so since she was convicted of murder while he was convicted of manslaughter

1 hour ago, Ron Burgundy said:

It's another debate completely but the death penalty is made for people like that.

Much as I am against the DP I really cannot argue with you in this case. These are evil evil people and the world would be a better place without them.....😡😡

1 hour ago, Ron Burgundy said:

They absolutely deserve to die but I don't believe in the death penalty. 

Poor wee bugger. 

2 hours ago, Salad Fingers said:

Minimum means you serve the full sentence does it not? 

As for the dads sentence, it doesn't say minimum so I would imagibe it would be half. 

Hope they die prison. **** all this two wrongs nonsense. I hope they suffer. 

Yep, minimum means they will be up in front of the parole board after that period of time expires but that doesn't mean they will be released. 

Malinga the Swinga

Couldn't watch news and avoiding reading about it. How a parent, sorry how a human, can treat a child like that is just inconceivable to me.

I can't process what they must be like as people to deliberately torture and kill the wee boy.

No excuses for what they did and glad sentence reasonably severe.

There's no re-education or re-integrating for these two, I just want them punished.

I worked in child protection when I was in Scotland and it is without a doubt the hardest part of policing. The circumstances in which some kids are brought up is horrific. On 3 occasions I had to take kids out of their home under emergency legislation and it was the hardest thing I've ever done in the job. It was done for the right reasons as the kids were woefully neglected but it didn't make it any easier. Not ashamed to admit I howled myself to sleep after those shifts. Some people should just never be parents but in my experience we've brought it on ourselves with lack of resources, quite incredible liberal attitudes where the parent is always right and those in authority are scared to challenge them, kids having kids and the disgusting poverty that some families are living in. These two pieces of shit are just evil people who will get their come-uppance in prison. But other families are just struggling with no support, no idea how to do a basic shopping or cook a basic meal. 

I worked very closely with children and families social workers and they have an horrendous workload and deal with the most demanding and difficult of families. No amout of money would make me work there. Most of the youngsters are burnt out within 2 years or are desperate to move departments. 

Child killers of that magnitude of depravity tend to be in constant jeopardy of violent retribution in prison.  I hope the trend continues or,  at the very least,  the omnipresent fear never leaves them for a minute.

I’ve kept an eye on this case since it first came about. Absolutely horrific. I have never dared listen to the audio clips of him saying nobody loves him. 

The boy used to hit himself ffs. So sad, and I see that bitch tustin refused to enter the court to hear the verdict.

2 hours ago, EH11_2NL said:

I worked in child protection when I was in Scotland and it is without a doubt the hardest part of policing. The circumstances in which some kids are brought up is horrific. On 3 occasions I had to take kids out of their home under emergency legislation and it was the hardest thing I've ever done in the job. It was done for the right reasons as the kids were woefully neglected but it didn't make it any easier. Not ashamed to admit I howled myself to sleep after those shifts. Some people should just never be parents but in my experience we've brought it on ourselves with lack of resources, quite incredible liberal attitudes where the parent is always right and those in authority are scared to challenge them, kids having kids and the disgusting poverty that some families are living in. These two pieces of shit are just evil people who will get their come-uppance in prison. But other families are just struggling with no support, no idea how to do a basic shopping or cook a basic meal. 

I worked very closely with children and families social workers and they have an horrendous workload and deal with the most demanding and difficult of families. No amout of money would make me work there. Most of the youngsters are burnt out within 2 years or are desperate to move departments. 

Similar working experiences to mine as such as seems.  I have often been asked by friends and family why do some people have children??? My reply is its the easiest thing to do...have sex and that's it.  You need no qualifications . Dont have to be intelligent . Nada really.  its really that simple.  Hell even  animals have offspring. . 

1 hour ago, Victorian said:

Child killers of that magnitude of depravity tend to be in constant jeopardy of violent retribution in prison.  I hope the trend continues or,  at the very least,  the omnipresent fear never leaves them for a minute.

I think the omnipresent fear is probably better in the long run as they will be in a constant state of anxiety for the rest of their lives.  Nae sympathy. 

jack D and coke
5 hours ago, Ron Burgundy said:

100% I’m same. 
What the hell is the matter with some people. 
Harrowing story. 

The_razors_edge

I’ve read the articles but couldn’t bring myself to watch the videos and I would consider myself as someone who doesn’t get upset easily. But this whole episode has absolutely shattered my faith in humanity. Not only from the behaviour of the step mum and dad but the supposed professionals who are supposed to protect children like little Arthur from harm. I just can’t imagine what that wee boy went through, it just doesn’t bear thinking about. I’ve got 3 kids of my own, one of which is around the same age as Arthur and I just look at him and wonder how someone could be so cruel to someone to helpless and defenceless. Everything I do, I do for the benefit of my kids to make sure they have the best life possible and I struggle to understand people who have kids to then set out to make their lives as miserable as possible. There are thousands of couples out there who can’t have kids who would have lavished that wee boy with love and affection and cherished him with all their being. Rest easy wee man 💙

7 minutes ago, The_razors_edge said:

I’ve read the articles but couldn’t bring myself to watch the videos and I would consider myself as someone who doesn’t get upset easily. But this whole episode has absolutely shattered my faith in humanity. Not only from the behaviour of the step mum and dad but the supposed professionals who are supposed to protect children like little Arthur from harm. I just can’t imagine what that wee boy went through, it just doesn’t bear thinking about. I’ve got 3 kids of my own, one of which is around the same age as Arthur and I just look at him and wonder how someone could be so cruel to someone to helpless and defenceless. Everything I do, I do for the benefit of my kids to make sure they have the best life possible and I struggle to understand people who have kids to then set out to make their lives as miserable as possible. There are thousands of couples out there who can’t have kids who would have lavished that wee boy with love and affection and cherished him with all their being. Rest easy wee man 💙

Echo those words completely 💙

14 minutes ago, The_razors_edge said:

Well said...👏👏

17 minutes ago, The_razors_edge said:

Well said 

There’s to be a minutes applause at Aston Villa (even though he was a Birmingham fan). It’s to demonstrate that he didn’t die without nobody loving or caring for him. 

William H. Bonney

To think that a boy my sons age, died with no one with him who cared, died assuming he was alone in the world, died after years of abuse and neglect is heartbreaking. 
I don’t believe in the afterlife but I truly hope that boy finds peace somewhere. 
As for those two *****. I hope every day in prison is the worst day of their miserable lives. 

I P Knightley
On 03/12/2021 at 11:55, JamesM48 said:

Professionals not consulting with each other to raise concerns. 

Inadequate . young and inexperienced social workers.

Those social workers given too many cases and not enough supervision to discuss the cases as well as their mental well being

The same social workers not having the confidence ., and it takes a lot of confidence to confront parents about their abusive parenting. Confidence comes with experience. Sometimes it can take a few years . 

And when the young social workers are competent they get the work piled on them and then reach burn out even quicker than other social workers. One of my friends was a terrific energetic intelligent social worker who was terrific with children and families. She was confident and assertive with them but burnt out really quickly and left to do another line of social work. I dont blame here

This echoes, James.

Mrs Knightley is not a social worker but works with children as a qualified professional. Funding cuts have seen her service (and many like them) stripped to the bone. Some so-called professional colleagues have refused to make in-person visits since lockdown restrictions were eased, despite there being PPE available. To fill staff vacancies, the head of the service has been recruiting individuals who have not taken a day's professional training but have got degrees in subjects which sound relevant (I don't want to disclose more detail as I'm weighing up whether to whistleblow). These non-professional graduates are doing the work that Mrs K trained for 3 years post-graduate to be able to do and it's all so that the head of the service can keep boxes ticked; they wouldn't know a life-threatening situation if it smacked them in the face. Oh, and the head of service and the supposed seniors or supervisors refuse to review and sign off their work - they're trying to get Mrs Knightley to do that, even though she specifically stepped back from supervision and took the related salary cut.

That's one anecdote that may have some relation to the situation that resulted in Arthur's plight not being identified and acted on when it mattered.

51 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

This echoes, James.

Mrs Knightley is not a social worker but works with children as a qualified professional. Funding cuts have seen her service (and many like them) stripped to the bone. Some so-called professional colleagues have refused to make in-person visits since lockdown restrictions were eased, despite there being PPE available. To fill staff vacancies, the head of the service has been recruiting individuals who have not taken a day's professional training but have got degrees in subjects which sound relevant (I don't want to disclose more detail as I'm weighing up whether to whistleblow). These non-professional graduates are doing the work that Mrs K trained for 3 years post-graduate to be able to do and it's all so that the head of the service can keep boxes ticked; they wouldn't know a life-threatening situation if it smacked them in the face. Oh, and the head of service and the supposed seniors or supervisors refuse to review and sign off their work - they're trying to get Mrs Knightley to do that, even though she specifically stepped back from supervision and took the related salary cut.

That's one anecdote that may have some relation to the situation that resulted in Arthur's plight not being identified and acted on when it mattered.

These non-professional graduates are doing the work that Mrs K trained for 3 years post-graduate to be able to do and it's all so that the head of the service can keep boxes ticked; they wouldn't know a life-threatening situation if it smacked them in the face.    Exactly

I recall a newly qualified  young social worker about to head out to a visit. She had bunches in her hair.  The old experienced . blunt no bull shitter type of  " old fashioned" social worker who I worked with said to her " your not going to visit a family like that are you?  You look about 16 . How they hell will they take you seriously ? !

So true. I think the training now is more about theories and not so much about how you actually communicate and engage with clients .  That's more important that knowing your Freud I feel. 

59 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

This echoes, James.

:Local authorities are also trying now to body swerve blame by stating that it is " The local authority" which is responsible for Child Protection and not just social work. Whilst this is try social workers are trained to a much higher degree than teachers and other professionals in the various sectors in relation to child protection.

Tears in my eyes listening to the applause from all the supporters in the TV games of the EPL today, all supporters no exceptions. I’m not sure if we have done the same in Scotland.

8 hours ago, jambo89 said:

There’s to be a minutes applause at Aston Villa (even though he was a Birmingham fan). It’s to demonstrate that he didn’t die without nobody loving or caring for him. 

It's a nice enough touch but it's  just to make everyone feel a wee bit better. 

A heartbreaking story of a wee boy who noone gave a **** about when he was alive. 

12 minutes ago, Savage Vince said:

It's a nice enough touch but it's  just to make everyone feel a wee bit better. 

A heartbreaking story of a wee boy who noone gave a **** about when he was alive. 

and social workers all over other social media screaming " don't blame us " .....aye right.......