Even boozers are PC now

EH11_2NL

9 hours ago, Taffin said:

I opened this expecting it to be something that only those of a bygone era would be angry about but that's ridiculous 😂😂

You can apply your own context and take different meanings of many words to make it sound offensive. Doesn't mean it is, or that you shouldn't use them anymore.

Also, I wasn't aware there was racist connotations in either usage of the word bitch. Which given they're retaining the black part, I'm not sure it makes any sense even allowing for their logic

A very good point. It seems to be the product of woolly thinking rather than anything resembling logic.

The Natural Order
9 hours ago, jonesy said:

I suppose asking for a black coffee at a Greene King pub would result in being barred for life?

To be fair, getting barred for life from a Greene King pub would be a bonus.

MoncurMacdonaldMercer
2 hours ago, Eldar Hadzimehmedovic said:

Same. It seems I've massively underestimated how many folk are walking about calling their dogs bitches 😄.

Are people also calling their cats queens and toms and referring to donkeys as jennys and jacks? Seems weird that the only one people would use also happens to be a brutal slur for a woman. 

can agree partly with what you are saying - your last sentence tho - the only one?

tom cat very common phrase - more common than queen for example

billy goat very common phrase

not sure about donkeys but have heard horses called their ‘proper’ names

MoncurMacdonaldMercer

will be (a little) interesting to see if the pub gets more or less customers

maybe that isn’t as important as doing the perceived right thing of course

Nucky Thompson
2 hours ago, Eldar Hadzimehmedovic said:

Same. It seems I've massively underestimated how many folk are walking about calling their dogs bitches 😄.

Are people also calling their cats queens and toms and referring to donkeys as jennys and jacks? Seems weird that the only one people would use also happens to be a brutal slur for a woman. 

Female horses are called Mares all the time.

Farmers call their female pigs Sows all the time.

Tom cat is used a lot.

I'm presuming donkey handlers at the seaside would probably call them jennys and jacks when talking to other donkey handlers :biggrin2:

Nucky Thompson

Many a time I've been out with the dog and bumped into other dog owners and when the dogs start sniffing each other, I've been asked if it's a bitch.

I don't even give it a 2nd thought

Will pubs called 'The Black Bull' have to change the name in case it case it could be construed as referring to a black fella with a muckle tadjer?

Nucky Thompson
11 minutes ago, Jamstomorrow said:

Will pubs called 'The Black Bull' have to change the name in case it case it could be construed as referring to a black fella with a muckle tadjer?

The Rose Street Brewery used to be called the White Cockade :whistling:

8 hours ago, Morgan said:

Blackpool is now an out-of-bounds holiday destination.

Morecambe would be more wise.

I will stick to Whitehaven, thank you very much.  👀

A Boy Named Crow
11 hours ago, joondalupjambo said:

Yeah it will be changed to white pudding. Oh wait we have that already.  What now for a new name?  Pudding of colour?  Two pudding of colour suppers please.

And thinking about it the new name black hound surely that does not sit right either.  Thinking of the deep south here.

I've seen it called blood sausage before...it's started already 

15 hours ago, Morgan said:

Blackpool is now an out-of-bounds holiday destination.

Morecambe would be more wise.

Should Cockermouth be avoided?

Nobody would care if it was called the white bitch as you can't offend or oppress big bad whitey. 

Edited by JackLadd

Used to be a pub in Prestonpans named after a very successful greyhound dog that ran at the "Wally dugs" called "The Black Dasher" which is now called..."The Dasher".

Same pub really. 

48 minutes ago, JackLadd said:

Nobody would care if it was called the white bitch as you can't offend or oppress big bad whitey. 

Frankly, bitches everywhere should be livid IMO!!!

19 hours ago, Dazo said:

Breeders or farmers aside I genuinely think when discussing a dogs sex the majority would say a boy or a girl. Might be totally wrong though. 😂

As a dog owner of nearly 40 years. My female dogs were always referred to as bitches and my male dogs as dogs.

Maroon Sailor

Looking forward to them fiddling about with the black hole. Should fill a few column inches

Edited by Maroon Sailor

1 hour ago, John Findlay said:

As a dog owner of nearly 40 years. My female dogs were always referred to as bitches and my male dogs as dogs.

Aye seems more popular than I thought. Live and learn. 

1 minute ago, Dazo said:

Aye seems more popular than I thought. Live and learn. 

Hopefully we all do that.

On 02/12/2021 at 03:37, EH11_2NL said:

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-59494786

Quite incredible stuff. Anyone of a certain age in West Lothian knows what a black bitch is. Best thing to do is boycott the boozer now. It really is PC gone mad. 

My late mate was from Lithgae. He'd be fecking fuming if he was still around to see this nonsense 🤬

Doctor FinnBarr
On 02/12/2021 at 03:37, EH11_2NL said:

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-59494786

Quite incredible stuff. Anyone of a certain age in West Lothian knows what a black bitch is. Best thing to do is boycott the boozer now. It really is PC gone mad. 

Anyone in West Lothian knows the name of the pub, it pretty much faces you as you enter from Bathgate. We all know what the Black Bitch is but how dare Greene King say it may be racist. Ram yer pub Greene King, I'll no be back in.

Doctor FinnBarr
On 02/12/2021 at 22:55, Tommy Brown said:

I will stick to Whitehaven, thank you very much.  👀

But Whitehaven is in Dumbria, arse end of the known world.

Montgomery Brewster
On 02/12/2021 at 19:08, MoncurMacdonaldMercer said:

will be (a little) interesting to see if the pub gets more or less customers

maybe that isn’t as important as doing the perceived right thing of course

Been in the black bitch several times. Will always be called that by people from lithgae who know the history of the black bitch story.

An absolute nonsense !