Should Scotland be an independent country?

Alex Kintner

Should Scotland be an independent country?  

505 members have voted

1. 1. Should Scotland be an independent country?

• Yes
    • No
    • Don’t know/ Abstain/ Spoil ballot

• Replies 13.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Unknown user

• JudyJudyJudy

• jack D and coke

• The Mighty Thor

Don't remember Scotland voting for Ireland to enter or leave the old UK either. I wonder how those people are doing being out of the Old UK and in The EU. 

Just think, the Onionists had the chance to keep the crown the last time. No chance this time.

Hopefully England have an independence referendum next year, will save us the bother. :cheese: 

Oh and something tells me Scots Doon there, won't get a vote.

Edited by ri Alban

7 hours ago, The Maroon Pound said:

For those wanting Scotland to become independent, would it not be like emigrating without moving house? 

As why should anyone vote for a fantasy new country that they were not born into in the first place? 

If Scotland wants independence from the 3 other countries of the Union why do they then want to become united with the European Union and have less of a presence? 

They want independence to become united again, yes or no? 

The desperation is reaching incredible levels now.

:lol:

Howdy Doody Jambo
9 hours ago, NANOJAMBO said:

Independence isn't like emigrating : it's taking control & ownership of your own "house". 

Scotland isn't a "new country". There are plenty of voices eg from Englsh migrants into Sctland - who support independence. 

Scotland would have a voice and a vote in the EU.

Wee nippy scotland have a voice in the EU 😂 sure thing, dream on, Fantasy island more like 

Scotland already has it's own devolved powers and why dosen the it use many of the other power's it has but chooses not to? 

Convince me 

@westbow Ever heard of the redlegs in Barbados . So please don't try to give lectures about slavery. 

Oh and Anyone who goes against their own is for me, an uncle Tam, treacherous, Hoose Jock.

2 hours ago, ri Alban said:

@westbow Ever heard of the redlegs in Barbados . So please don't try to give lectures about slavery. 

Oh and Anyone who goes against their own is for me, an uncle Tam, treacherous, Hoose Jock.

Why are you quoting me on here? I haven’t posted on this thread. 
As for your post, no substance just abuse. No idea how you are still allowed on this forum.

18 minutes ago, westbow said:

As for your post, no substance just abuse. No idea how you are still allowed on this forum.

I’d ignore Ri this morning, looks like too many haribos before breakfast. 

6 minutes ago, Dazo said:

I’d ignore Ri this morning, looks like too many haribos before breakfast. 

Think he might have settled down. Only so long you can have your blood pressure that high and not burst. 😂

manaliveits105
3 hours ago, westbow said:

There’s a few of the wee gang with Scot Broon’s cloak of invisibility 

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/02/2022 at 17:32, manaliveits105 said:

There’s a few of the wee gang with Scot Broon’s cloak of invisibility 

Pfft.   

looking-staring.gif

• 2 weeks later...

$130 a barrel. :wtf: 

Hey, maybe Scotland should become war agitator Numero uno post independence.

😎

2 hours ago, ri Alban said:

😎

Brilliant idea, Get rid of the army,navy and RAF and start fights. Luckily we are pretty irrelevant so no one give a shit.

Japan Jambo
6 hours ago, ri Alban said:

😎

It'd be interesting to understand just how much of the upside actually accrues to Scotland/UK and how much to the oil companies themselves. 

Roxy Hearts
53 minutes ago, Japan Jambo said:

It'd be interesting to understand just how much of the upside actually accrues to Scotland/UK and how much to the oil companies themselves. 

Ask Norway?

Japan Jambo
3 minutes ago, Roxy Hearts said:

Ask Norway?

Was hoping someone on here had some analysis.

In terms of Norway I think in the main we sold off the rights, they retained a carry. We spent that cash, they invested it. 

Roxy Hearts
23 minutes ago, Japan Jambo said:

Was hoping someone on here had some analysis.

In terms of Norway I think in the main we sold off the rights, they retained a carry. We spent that cash, they invested it. 

Analysis isn't really required. Westminster greed sees to everything for their benefit and Scotland have been taken for mugs for allowing it.

• 3 months later...
Ainsley Harriott
7 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

tick-tock-tik-tok.gif

She's still trying to find a legal pathway by her own admission. Absolutely brilliant folk thinking they were voting for Indy Ref2 

7 minutes ago, Ainsley Harriott said:

She's still trying to find a legal pathway by her own admission. Absolutely brilliant folk thinking they were voting for Indy Ref2 

Keep clinging mate..

image.jpeg.8bc5763e5a905b4c4fe8052259606b1e.jpeg

Edited by Pans Jambo

There's still time for Scotland to get the oil out of the ground and invested in Scotland. We should have low energy prices for a start. 

Ainsley Harriott
3 minutes ago, Pans Jambo said:

Keep clinging mate..

image.jpeg.8bc5763e5a905b4c4fe8052259606b1e.jpeg

Hahaha aye it's unionists that are clinging right enough 😂😂

On 31/01/2022 at 19:06, Boris said:

Ironic that those most pro-union (the Conservatives) seem most he'll bent on destroying it by their deeds and actions.

It is very ironic that those who claim to cherish conservative values don't really preach them. Clinging onto "big government" in Westminster is the antithesis of conservative values. 

For that reason i don't really believe most Tory voters in Scotland are actually conservative... just outright unionists. 

*Appreciate this was a post from ages ago, was just looking back at the last two pages because it's been obviously bumped. 😄

Edited by Mysterion

manaliveits105
36 minutes ago, Ainsley Harriott said:

They aren’t very smart 

2 hours ago, Mysterion said:

It is very ironic that those who claim to cherish conservative values don't really preach them. Clinging onto "big government" in Westminster is the antithesis of conservative values. 

For that reason i don't really believe most Tory voters in Scotland are actually conservative... just outright unionists. 

*Appreciate this was a post from ages ago, was just looking back at the last two pages because it's been obviously bumped. 😄

Seems clear, to me at least, that the current leader is more concerned about the power and trappings of being PM rather than any ideological motivation.

Well I won’t be voting for it and I did the first time. Once in a generation vote ? Lies right there already. She will blooter us with taxes you wouldn’t believe. Total waste of public money this nonsense. Coming out of 2 years of a shitshow pandemic, in a cost of living crisis which will see many faced with a heat or eat choice and she’s going to fling this at us to divide a country again. Whilst there a real threat of a possible world war 3 

How would she of dealt with furlough without U.K. financial help if we were independent ?

unbelievable

3 minutes ago, 1971fozzy said:

How would she of dealt with furlough without U.K. financial help if we were independent ?

unbelievable

The same way all other countries did. Through tax income from various taxes (eg. VAT) and where required borrowed money from central banks. 

I find it really weird that the UK has a national debt that has doubled in 12yrs since the Tories came to power but the idea of Scotland having a level of debt is an outrageous proposition. 

jack D and coke
15 minutes ago, Mysterion said:

The same way all other countries did. Through tax income from various taxes (eg. VAT) and where required borrowed money from central banks. 

I find it really weird that the UK has a national debt that has doubled in 12yrs since the Tories came to power but the idea of Scotland having a level of debt is an outrageous proposition. 

Absolutely bonkers that only Scotland in this world must run a surplus. 
For someone who voted Yes last time the doom in that post above was something else. 

Scotfotbawfan

Im neither pro indy of against tbh but the numbers don't add up so at this moment in time I'd say no.  We get subsidised at the moment but when oil was booming I'm sure we would have been putting in more than we were receiving at that time.  I don't like seeing people we get bailed out as if we are a burden as I've said we would have put in more when oil was booming.  Who's to say in years to come we won't be in a position again where we are putting in more than we get.  If you look at it though London subsidises most of England too. Take away the money london generates then England would look alot different. 

Unknown user
12 minutes ago, Scotfotbawfan said:

Im neither pro indy of against tbh but the numbers don't add up so at this moment in time I'd say no.  We get subsidised at the moment but when oil was booming I'm sure we would have been putting in more than we were receiving at that time.  I don't like seeing people we get bailed out as if we are a burden as I've said we would have put in more when oil was booming.  Who's to say in years to come we won't be in a position again where we are putting in more than we get.  If you look at it though London subsidises most of England too. Take away the money london generates then England would look alot different. 

We get subsidised, according to a government that wants to keep us for some reason. Known for charity, Westminster.

jack D and coke
14 minutes ago, Scotfotbawfan said:

Fair post mate. I don’t think you can just demand a referendum when it’s going great guns though. We’ll stay while we’re a bit skint but if we come into the money again we’re off. You either believe in it or you don’t for me.
Countries Scotland size tend to do better than us without anything like our resources so it’s up to the people who believe in it to sell it to the population. 

24 minutes ago, Scotfotbawfan said:

Im neither pro indy of against tbh 

:interehjrling:

Weird, it sounded like you were an orange lodge band member on another thread. That would be a most unusual stance for someone of that ilk.

kingantti1874

We will be worse off for decades until the economy reshapes itself and we have a significant proportion of the population who are more interested in hand outs than hard work. 

ultimately I won’t pay a single penny for it. I want no part of it.. if Scottish independence becomes a reality I will leave.

Scotfotbawfan
2 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

Weird, it sounded like you were an orange lodge band member on another thread. That would be a most unusual stance for someone of that ilk.

I'm neither,  I didn't vote in the last referendum either and probably wouldn't vote if there was one again 

Scotfotbawfan
14 minutes ago, Smithee said:

We get subsidised, according to a government that wants to keep us for some reason. Known for charity, Westminster.

This is where pro indy people score an own goal tbh.  Figures don't lie, I've even saw an interview where nicola sturgeon doesn't deny this fact yet all pro indy people argue against it.  We at the moment do get subsidised but the only counter argument I ever see is is that above. 

Scotfotbawfan
7 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

Watch that interview.

kingantti1874
Just now, Scotfotbawfan said:

This is where pro indy people score an own goal tbh.  Figures don't lie, I've even saw an interview where nicola sturgeon doesn't deny this fact yet all pro indy people argue against it.  We at the moment do get subsidised but the only counter argument I ever see is is that above. 

they genuinely believe we’d be better off.  Thing is if Scotland can retain its best and brightest talent .. we may be after a long long time..

thing is, it will take a long long time - and Scotland will not retain its best and brightest.  Massive talent drain is inevitable