Should Scotland be an independent country?

Alex Kintner

Should Scotland be an independent country?  

505 members have voted

1. 1. Should Scotland be an independent country?

• Yes
    • No
    • Don’t know/ Abstain/ Spoil ballot

i wish jj was my dad
19 minutes ago, manaliveits105 said:

Spot on suddenly appears as a fence sitter and fools no one 

and rude to boot - running about with imaginary yellow cards :facepalm:

Convince me rather than be a troll. And ask your face paitng buddy from the other side to do the same. I've explained why I joined the debate and have tried not to be rude. Easier with Frank than you tbf. 

• Replies 13.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Unknown user

• JudyJudyJudy

• jack D and coke

• The Mighty Thor

JudyJudyJudy
2 minutes ago, OTT said:

Absolutely correct re joining the EU being a long and criteria packed road, which is why many people are advocating EFTA membership since this would only take 3-6 months to achieve and would give us access to 26 global trade deals (including a free trade deal with the UK) as well as bringing back freedom of movement meaning social schemes like Erasmus could be relaunched.

That’s ok with me then . I didn’t know that , although I have heard of EFTA. 

manaliveits105
5 minutes ago, i wish jj was my dad said:

Convince me rather than be a troll. And ask your face paitng buddy from the other side to do the same. I've explained why I joined the debate and have tried not to be rude. Easier with Frank than you tbf. 

Those who don’t want a referendum in the near future don’t have to debate why we don’t want one we are happy with the status quo

the snp have to convince us why we should have one and the answer is not because of the bloody tories 

i wish jj was my dad
8 minutes ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

That’s ok with me then . I didn’t know that , although I have heard of EFTA. 

Me too. I didn't know that either. 

i wish jj was my dad
Just now, manaliveits105 said:

Those who don’t want a referendum in the near future don’t have to debate why we don’t want one we are happy with the status quo

the snp have to convince us why we should have one and the answer is not because of the bloody tories 

It will happen though. In some shape or form.  I don't want it but the SNP have a mandate that has to be respected. I'd just rather they put the national interest first and deferred it. But they know that having a bent fascist at no.10 is their best chance of winning. 

JudyJudyJudy
12 minutes ago, manaliveits105 said:

Yes that’s clearly implicit with those not wanting a ref , they are happy with the status quo , as you said . They don’t have to have any arguments 

manaliveits105
12 minutes ago, i wish jj was my dad said:

It will happen though. In some shape or form.  I don't want it but the SNP have a mandate that has to be respected. I'd just rather they put the national interest first and deferred it. But they know that having a bent fascist at no.10 is their best chance of winning. 

Fair enough everybody is entitled to an opinion 

jambomjm74
3 minutes ago, i wish jj was my dad said:

They have a mandate to say yes and the U.K. govt has a mandate to say no. Given war in Europe, global concerns with China exerting it’s muscles along with covid and the economic fall outs of this … I just don’t see agreement being reached for a 2nd referendum. 
Thats all before the once in a generation and polls being broadly similar reasons that will be used. 
To me a second poll is extremely likely but not in the next 2 years or anytime some, just because the SNP has a majority of MPs and can shout about how unfair it is … the reality is a referendum was held and decided and the SNP has failed to respect that outcome as the settled will of the Scottish people .. 
Pot calling kettle black comes to mind. 

i wish jj was my dad
3 minutes ago, manaliveits105 said:

Fair enough everybody is entitled to an opinion 

Correct. Even it isn't the same as our own. 

4 minutes ago, jambomjm74 said:

They have a mandate to say yes and the U.K. govt has a mandate to say no. Given war in Europe, global concerns with China exerting it’s muscles along with covid and the economic fall outs of this … I just don’t see agreement being reached for a 2nd referendum. 
Thats all before the once in a generation and polls being broadly similar reasons that will be used. 
To me a second poll is extremely likely but not in the next 2 years or anytime some, just because the SNP has a majority of MPs and can shout about how unfair it is … the reality is a referendum was held and decided and the SNP has failed to respect that outcome as the settled will of the Scottish people .. 

I'm sure others will disagree but I think that's an good post.

Edited by Dawnrazor

i wish jj was my dad
4 minutes ago, jambomjm74 said:

I don't want it either and I hope NS can't sleep at night for the shitfest she has unleashed but she can rightly point to the lies about being kicked out of the EU etc and the lies about brexit to give her some form of moral high ground. If UKG block it they will create a constitutional crisis that will go a very unpleasant way. We've already seen a daft on here banging his heid on the keyboard. There will be others who would be happy to bang our heids if we disagree with them. Ms Sturgeon knows that but will take the risk. 

JudyJudyJudy
13 minutes ago, jambomjm74 said:

If a section 30 is allowed then there has to be an agreement that there is not another ref for 20 years or more , if there is a no again . We cannot live with the rancour , anger , animosity and arguments every 5 years or so . There needs to be some stability 

JudyJudyJudy
16 minutes ago, jambomjm74 said:

Forgot to say , very good posting . 

Unknown user
1 hour ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

If a section 30 is allowed then there has to be an agreement that there is not another ref for 20 years or more , if there is a no again . We cannot live with the rancour , anger , animosity and arguments every 5 years or so . There needs to be some stability 

That's ridiculous, no one has the right to agree to that on behalf of the people of Scotland. 

JudyJudyJudy
4 minutes ago, Smithee said:

That's ridiculous, no one has the right to agree to that on behalf of the people of Scotland. 

So never ending referendums ? 

Unknown user
1 minute ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

No one has the right to agree to that.

Unknown user
31 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Rory Stewart’s documentary (okay, so he was pro union) about the borderlands having as much case to be considered a ‘country’ as any other constituent part of the UK was interesting, even if you don’t agree with his politics or view on the matter.

It sounds interesting, but it's not a realistic proposition, it's not going to actually happen. 

If it ever did turn out that there was a significant movement pushing for it then it would be time for a discussion, but that's not away to happen.

The Mighty Thor
6 hours ago, jonesy said:

Okay. Here goes… (and some of these opinions/ideas have come from friends over the past decade, rather than all being my own, if that makes any difference to those who seek to play the man, not the ball)

Being part of the UK means Scotland is part of - whether you like it or not - a country which attracts tourists, investment, refugees, economic migrants and, yes, the wealthy and corrupt. The majority of those things are good. Some are most definitely not. An independent Scotland’s position to do the same is up for debate.

First up, I appreciate you having a go. 

My starting point on this is not about 'getting it up England' which is playground level nonsense.

Scotland and England are different countries. Different peoples. Different mentality. Different outlook. We've been diverging since the end of WWII and IMO that's picked up pace since the 80s. 

On your first point I think Scotland would still attract all those things, good and bad. 

Is it perfect? Not at all. But there is a certain robustness to the UK, partly fuelled by history and partly fuelled by its still not inconsiderable (for its size) clout on the world stage. The sun may well frequently set on the little pink outposts, but by and large, the UK has been recognised and respected in the 4 foreign countries I have lived in. My passport may not have got me into those places, but it didn’t hinder me. :) 

The lack of robustness and the setting of the sun on the UKs global power is driving the divergence between Scotland and England. 

England is heading right and has been for years. Its heading to an autocratic soft fascism right now and that is alien to the traditional small c conservative nature of Scots. 

I get your point about the power of the blue passport but a passport is a passport at the end of the day.

Being from the UK gives people born in Scotland opportunities in a wider range of industries and locations. Of course, that range would be even wider if the Brexit shenanigans hadn’t happened (a result of crafty politicians and backers playing up to English nationalism). Nevertheless, easy access to the labour market across the entirety of the UK cannot be underestimated. We’ve seen how Brexit can complicate things for people willing to come and work, and employers desperate to have them. We can’t underestimate the lack of skills both sides of the negotiating table may have in the event of Scexit. :( 

You raised a good point about opportunities then immediately answered it yourself. Brexit and abolition of FOM was an act of vandalism to the career and educational travel opportunities of Scottish kids. 

Scotland has always had a mobile workforce who go with the money or the career and end up across the global workplace. Scots don't want that to change they want to look outwards, our neighbours are looking inwards with all the ugly nationalist problems that entails. 

Are those good enough reasons for folk to vote No? Not the die hards, no. Just as there are plenty of reasons to vote Yes that won’t sway the already decided on the other side. They aren’t even enough to convince me to vote No (if at all), but they have given me pause for thought, and do help separate the decision making process away from the symbolic figureheads like Johnson, Cameron, Farage, Sturgeon, Salmond and ri Alban ;) 

The figureheads are transitory, although the current mob are particularly toxic. 

The media will sadly indoctrinate the undecided with a staple diet of half truths and whatever Murdoch & Rothermere decide is in their own interests.

The question won't go away. It'll keep getting asked as the logical reasons to let another country dictate what you can and can't disappear over time and eventually the UK will be no more than an economic trading block.

Time will tell I suppose 🤷‍♂️

Lord Montpelier

Okay. Here goes… (and some of these opinions/ideas have come from friends over the past decade, rather than all being my own, if that makes any difference to those who seek to play the man, not the ball)

Being part of the UK means Scotland is part of - whether you like it or not - a country which attracts tourists, investment, refugees, economic migrants and, yes, the wealthy and corrupt. The majority of those things are good. Some are most definitely not. An independent Scotland’s position to do the same is up for debate.

Is it perfect? Not at all. But there is a certain robustness to the UK, partly fuelled by history and partly fuelled by its still not inconsiderable (for its size) clout on the world stage. The sun may well frequently set on the little pink outposts, but by and large, the UK has been recognised and respected in the 4 foreign countries I have lived in. My passport may not have got me into those places, but it didn’t hinder me. :) 

I count myself fortunate enough to work on a daily basis with people of all religions, nationalities and ethnic backgrounds and, with rare exceptions, almost all are glad to have made the UK their home. Ironically enough, it was a Scotsman who lived in a time in which the union was a bringing change - no doubt both positive and negative - who talked about seeing ourselves as others see us. That counts for something. People by and large don’t flee or emigrate to dangerous or hopeless places if they can help it. :) 

Being from the UK gives people born in Scotland opportunities in a wider range of industries and locations. Of course, that range would be even wider if the Brexit shenanigans hadn’t happened (a result of crafty politicians and backers playing up to English nationalism). Nevertheless, easy access to the labour market across the entirety of the UK cannot be underestimated. We’ve seen how Brexit can complicate things for people willing to come and work, and employers desperate to have them. We can’t underestimate the lack of skills both sides of the negotiating table may have in the event of Scexit. :( 

Are those good enough reasons for folk to vote No? Not the die hards, no. Just as there are plenty of reasons to vote Yes that won’t sway the already decided on the other side. They aren’t even enough to convince me to vote No (if at all), but they have given me pause for thought, and do help separate the decision making process away from the symbolic figureheads like Johnson, Cameron, Farage, Sturgeon, Salmond and ri Alban ;) 

Leave ri out of this, he/she is a perfectly normal poster. 

7 hours ago, jonesy said:

I count myself fortunate enough to work on a daily basis with people of all religions, nationalities and ethnic backgrounds and, with rare exceptions, almost all are glad to have made the UK their home. Ironically enough, it was a Scotsman who lived in a time in which the union was a bringing change - no doubt both positive and negative - who talked about seeing ourselves as others see us. That counts for something. People by and large don’t flee or emigrate to dangerous or hopeless places if they can help it. :) 

I don't give a feck what you think or how you vote. Vote no, don't vote at all, makes no difference to me. What I do and how I vote makes the difference. And if I can't vote, well that changes everything.

i wish jj was my dad

Good posts from Jonesy and Thor. There is a lot to think about. I really hope our political leaders, bankrollers and media exercise some restraint and opt for thoughtful persuasion rather than whipping up shite and aiming for the lowest common denominator. 

8 hours ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

We've had 1 vote in about 316 years, 1 every 158 years. It doesn't matter how often we vote, every second or ever 1m years. 

WM governments are supposed to govern for five years, no if or buts. But we've had 3 and possibly four GEs in 7 years. Which is the gap that NI can have a referendum for unification with Ireland. Every 7 years. But no, Scotland has to be every 20, 25, 50 years. The last referendum and the proposed second referendum will be a gap of 9 years, 9 years. That's plenty of time. 

Once in a generation was a soundbite , EU membership was promise and a lie.  Whether you like it or not, the SNP won the election by a country mile, take out list votes and it's nearly a sweep. They have a better mandate to implement their manifesto, than Boris did for his in the UK.  

But it seems democracy, along with oil, gas, rain, wind and the tide is running out in Scotland.

jack D and coke
30 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Once in a generation was a soundbite , EU membership was promise and a lie.  Whether you like it or not, the SNP won the election by a country mile, take out list votes and it's nearly a sweep. They have a better mandate to implement their manifesto, than Boris did for his in the UK.  

But it seems democracy, along with oil, gas, rain, wind and the tide is running out in Scotland.

Saw something fairly interesting about the whisky yesterday. I won’t post it because I need to try find out more but one guy was basically saying that’ll run oot :lol: or that other countries will make stuff just as good and they we really shouldn’t bank on that either…it’s absolutely incredible the second the referendum starts to get real. 

9 hours ago, jonesy said:

Rory Stewart’s documentary (okay, so he was pro union) about the borderlands having as much case to be considered a ‘country’ as any other constituent part of the UK was interesting, even if you don’t agree with his politics or view on the matter.

My point really was that I think a Yes vote would inevitably lead to a further future break up, Edinburgh and Borders was a hypothetical but for me, easily foreseeable. There have been mutterings about Cumbria and Northumberland breaking away, an Independent Yorkshire Party and Cornwall have talked about it often before, I'm not saying it would necessarily a bad thing, a lot of people in the rural north of England are fed up with being an afterthought and a bit of a political pawn used by a Southern and London centric government of various flavours. If Scotland can break away for the UK it's only fair that the Orkneys, Shetlands, Lothians and Borders should be allowed to at least look at and campaign for staying with the UK or going it alone if the people in the areas thing it's best for them and their futures, same for the counties i  England.

jack D and coke

This breaking away? Does England or ruk get any say at all? The borders now have their own govt or something? Daft Fluffy will break up Scotland now will he? They’ll just decide they’re not actually in Scotland anymore? Is it 100% of these border towns who want to remain in England?

If there’s going to be a hard border at Berwick is there a hard border around Edinburgh if that breaks away from Scotland. Honestly lol. 

Please stop with this nonsense :lol: 

2 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

This breaking away? Does England or ruk get any say at all? The borders now have their own govt or something? Daft Fluffy will break up Scotland now will he? They’ll just decide they’re not actually in Scotland anymore? Is it 100% of these border towns who want to remain in England?

If there’s going to be a hard border at Berwick is there a hard border around Edinburgh if that breaks away from Scotland. Honestly lol. 

Please stop with this nonsense :lol: 

Pretty much the same questions that have been raised about Scottish Independence.

The Real Maroonblood
58 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

Saw something fairly interesting about the whisky yesterday. I won’t post it because I need to try find out more but one guy was basically saying that’ll run oot :lol: or that other countries will make stuff just as good and they we really shouldn’t bank on that either…it’s absolutely incredible the second the referendum starts to get real. 

The guy probably posts on this thread.

jack D and coke
6 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

Pretty much the same questions that have been raised about Scottish Independence.

Scotland is a country. One of the oldest recognised countries on earth. 
Cmon man. 

jack D and coke
7 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

The guy probably posts on this thread.

Haha aye maybe.
The thread was interesting. Ireland apparently has a tiny share of the worlds whisky market but it’s apparently worth about the same to the Irish economy than scotch is to ours?

It must be rubbish but you never know with this British govt. They’ve got to play things down to make sure we don’t think it can work or it’ll mibbe run oot😂

jack D and coke

Read a Bloomberg article yesterday about the billions of litres of petrol we export to the US market too. Hundreds of millions every month.

Pretty remarkable for something that was running oot in 2014…

3 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

Scotland is a country. One of the oldest recognised countries on earth. 
Cmon man. 

I'm not saying it isn't, but everyone of the questions you raised about other areas wanting to break away are being or have been asked about Scottish independence. 

If Scotland can break away from the UK because people campaigned and voted for it, why can't areas within do the same if the people want it? 

jack D and coke
1 minute ago, Dawnrazor said:

I'm not saying it isn't, but everyone of the questions you raised about other areas wanting to break away are being or have been asked about Scottish independence. 

If Scotland can break away from the UK because people campaigned and voted for it, why can't areas within do the same if the people want it? 

Because it can’t and won’t happen. 
If this is the case now why haven’t the unionists demanded Scotland is still in the EU? We keep getting told that Scotland didn’t get a vote on its own it was Britain as a whole. And that’s fine because it was. Well the borders and Edinburgh or wherever else in Scotland didn’t vote on their own either. If people who live there don’t like what they vote produced then they leave. 
It’s an utterly nonsensical discussion. 

Konrad von Carstein
1 minute ago, jack D and coke said:

If this is the case now why haven’t the unionists demanded Scotland is still in the EU? We keep getting told that Scotland didn’t get a vote on its own it was Britain as a whole. And that’s fine because it was. Well the borders and Edinburgh or wherever else in Scotland didn’t vote on their own either. If people who live there don’t like what they vote produced then they leave. 

Stop biting FFS :lol:

Just now, jack D and coke said:

1 minute ago, Konrad von Carstein said:

Stop biting FFS :lol:

😅

Ok, more than a wee bit of sarcasm in my point, but I do find it funny that people that are so desperate for Scottish Independence immediately start throwing about the exact same arguments for it not happening, areas within Britain breaking away and usung similar language, that the staunch No voters use against Scottish Independence.

jack D and coke
6 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

😅

Ok, more than a wee bit of sarcasm in my point, but I do find it funny that people that are so desperate for Scottish Independence immediately start throwing about the exact same arguments for it not happening, areas within Britain breaking away and usung similar language, that the staunch No voters use against Scottish Independence.

It’s the same as the people who say ok well are we allowed a referendum to rejoin the uk in a few years. Does the ruk get any say at all? I think they might have an opinion other than us just saying right we’re coming back noo :lol: then you’d see that this isn’t like leaving the EU. Then the borders or Edinburgh gets to opt out of indy Scotland too? What if England and Wales tell them to get tae? Areas in England who are they going independent from and joining who and what? What currency etc? The arguments and goal post shifting gets sillier all the time. 
No biting anymore 😉👍🏼

Just now, jack D and coke said:

It’s the same as the people who say ok well are we allowed a referendum to rejoin the uk in a few years. Does the ruk get any say at all? I think they might have an opinion other than us just saying right we’re coming back noo :lol: then you’d see that this isn’t like leaving the EU. Then the borders or Edinburgh gets to opt out of indy Scotland too? What if England and Wales tell them to get tae? Areas in England who are they going independent from and joining who and what? What currency etc? The arguments and goal post shifting gets sillier all the time. 
No biting anymore 😉👍🏼

All questions I'm sure can be answered or are they too wee and too stupid?😅👍

Unknown user
58 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

My point really was that I think a Yes vote would inevitably lead to a further future break up, Edinburgh and Borders was a hypothetical but for me, easily foreseeable. 

:laugh2: come on now

1 hour ago, jack D and coke said:

Saw something fairly interesting about the whisky yesterday. I won’t post it because I need to try find out more but one guy was basically saying that’ll run oot :lol: or that other countries will make stuff just as good and they we really shouldn’t bank on that either…it’s absolutely incredibl the second the referendum starts to get real. 

People do make better stuff, they pay for the Scotch brand. Russia Vodka is far superior imo. If I want to redecorate or go to war, I'd pick Whisky.

Edited by ri Alban

Scotland might not attract tourists if we weren't in the UK. Edinburgh and the borders would be next to break up.

Some absolute gold getting churned out now. :lol: 

jack D and coke
4 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

All questions I'm sure can be answered or are they too wee and too stupid?😅👍

Hard borders and passports checks aw oor England 🤪😂

4 minutes ago, Smithee said:

:laugh2: come on now

Why not?

If the UK are so desperate to keep Scotland because of water and energy, why wouldn't the UK want to keep a capital city and financial centre and all the windfarms and water?

Unknown user
Just now, Dawnrazor said:

Why not?

If the UK are so desperate to keep Scotland because of water and energy, why wouldn't the UK want to keep a capital city and financial centre and all the windfarms and water?

It's been a decent thread, a bit of goodwill shown by most. Let's not pretend crocks of nonsense are inevitable.

2 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

Why not?

Most natural resources are in auld Alba country. :)

2 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

Hard borders and passports checks aw oor England 🤪😂

But if you said there would not need to be a hard border between Scotland and England why would there need to be one between Yorkshire and Lincolnshire or Cornwall and Devon or Edinburgh and Fife?

You raised a great point about not needing to use cash but your card so negating the need to constantly change between the euro and the pound, why would this not apply to a break away County?

Unknown user
5 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

Scotland might not attract tourists if we weren't in the UK. Edinburgh and the borders would be next to break up.

Some absolute gold getting churned out now. :lol: 

We all know tourists only come to Scotland because England.

2 minutes ago, Smithee said:

It's been a decent thread, a bit of goodwill shown by most. Let's not pretend crocks of nonsense are inevitable.

Like Scottish independence?

Unknown user
Just now, Dawnrazor said:

Like tourists come to Scotland because the UK, like Edinburgh's inevitably going to seek independence if Scotland does.

But that's enough, it was interesting when you were posting in good faith, but this is just a crock of shit now.

8 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

Can you vote in the independence referendum? 

2 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Like tourists come to Scotland because the UK, like Edinburgh's inevitably going to seek independence if Scotland does.

But that's enough, it was interesting when you were posting in good faith, but this is just a crock of shit now.

Tourists come to Scotland for loads of reasons, where did I say it was because it in the UK?

Edinburgh won't inevitably seek independence if Scotland does, I'm just raising the point that in the future other areas of the UK could gain enough confidence to seek a more independent relationship, federalism? from either Scotland or England.