Air fryer

jamborich

Konrad von Carstein
1 hour ago, Harry Potter said:

guid for chips

A man efter ma ain heart!  :)

Chicken wings, gunners of recipes out there...

6 hours ago, Herbert said:

Get a ninja, best one out there. For recipes try tiktok. I found a few good ones and how to do pasta properly.

The Ninja is not the best in my opinion.  I did have the Ninja foodi Max (7.5l) and found that it didn't air fry very evenly at all.  I found that you had to shake the basket after 10 minutes, then every 5 minutes or so to keep some bits from burning.  I also found that it took quite a bit to come to pressure when pressure cooking (up to 20 minutes in my experience), which is poor if you were cooking rice dishes as it would sometimes dry out trying to come to pressure.  You always hoped it would come to pressure before the rice soaked up the liquid!

I now own a Instant Pot Duo Crisp.  Much much better even air frying.  Only one shake of the basket is needed half way through.  It also comes to pressure consistently very quickly.

Don't get me wrong.  I do like Ninja products.  I have the Ninja grill, which is fantastic at cooking Calzones in the winter. (Almost as good as the Ooni Pizza oven that I use the rest of the year.)  I do notice that Ninja have a new model out.  Maybe that is better.

We've got a tefal one. It's round that's all I know. I bought it for the savage beast after her attempt at chicken wings in a pan of oil failed miserably, bless her.

It sounds like a ****ing plane taking off and everything comes oot over-cooked on one side regardless of the use of the paddle thingy. 

Worst 190 quid I ever spent.

Recipes? I could give you one for McCain's happy faces that are deeply tanned on one side and white on the other 

🙄

Edited by crunchy frog

Dagger Is Back

Baked tatties are awesome 

Have done chicken and broccoli stir fry

Loads of recipes on Google

My only problem with ours is the baskets too wee

I have a shelfy one, a Tower, it's great. It has a rotisserie which I haven't used but the chips are indeed superb.

I've got a muffin tray that fits, perfect for lining with a little oil and frying eggs in for a complete lazy Sunday breakfast

12 hours ago, Smithee said:

I have a shelfy one, a Tower, it's great. It has a rotisserie which I haven't used but the chips are indeed superb.

I've got a muffin tray that fits, perfect for lining with a little oil and frying eggs in for a complete lazy Sunday breakfast

This is genius! Muffin trays to fit in my air fryer are now on the must buy list for this weekend.

1 hour ago, Taffin said:

This is genius! Muffin trays to fit in my air fryer are now on the must buy list for this weekend.

Wee omelettes too, I usually render off some chorizo first for the oil actually then add on top after, or eat while waiting

2 hours ago, Smithee said:

Wee omelettes too, I usually render off some chorizo first for the oil actually then add on top after, or eat while waiting

Sounds excellent. I'll no doubt manage to make a mess of it though 

Nucky Thompson
17 hours ago, Smithee said:

I've had a couple of the dearer ones, but I think the Tower is the best value for money.

I use it constantly and the only thing wrong is the food has started sticking.

I've bought paper liners for the basket and they are great. 200 for under £10

8 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

I've had a couple of the dearer ones, but I think the Tower is the best value for money.

I use it constantly and the only thing wrong is the food has started sticking.

I've bought paper liners for the basket and they are great. 200 for under £10

I didn't want the cheapest but didn't want to go premium either, they're a good brand for that

• 8 months later...

I bought a Cosori last week thinking it would add to my collection of kitchen gadget ornaments. 

Looks like I was wrong as I've used it every day since, in fact my oven's never been on. 

Not done anything fancy in it but it's great for the simple things that the kids love, burgers, sausages, chicken nuggets, fish fingers etc. 

The heating up time is great compared to a conventional oven.

7 minutes ago, graygo said:

I bought a Cosori last week thinking it would add to my collection of kitchen gadget ornaments. 

Looks like I was wrong as I've used it every day since, in fact my oven's never been on. 

Not done anything fancy in it but it's great for the simple things that the kids love, burgers, sausages, chicken nuggets, fish fingers etc. 

The heating up time is great compared to a conventional oven.

Just made my mind up to get one this week, mostly due to the cost of an electric oven vs an air fryer. Not looked up potential purchases yet but will look this one up aswell.

5 minutes ago, escobri said:

Just made my mind up to get one this week, mostly due to the cost of an electric oven vs an air fryer. Not looked up potential purchases yet but will look this one up aswell.

I went for this one due to the reviews it got, it was reduced by £20 last week making it the same price as the "non-smart" version. Not sure I'll ever use the app tbh.

COSORI Smart Air Fryer Oven 5.5L, 200 Recipes(Cookbook & Online), Google Assistant & APP Control, Square & Removable Basket, 13 Cooking Functions, Air Fry, Roast, Bake, Reheat, Dishwasher Safe https://amzn.eu/d/85jNLRq

On 01/12/2021 at 22:38, Dagger Is Back said:

Baked tatties are awesome 

Have done chicken and broccoli stir fry

Loads of recipes on Google

My only problem with ours is the baskets too wee

I tried baked tatties in mine and unfortunately they were burning on the outside before the inside was cooked. What temp/timings do you use? And how does a stir fry work in it?

Only had mine a month or so. The level of crisp you get on the likes of fish fingers is fantastic. 

We have a Tower Vortx air fryer, brilliant device. saves a fortune by not having to heat up a big oven. Oven chips are superb and steaks are to die for. Very, very highly recommended.

On 01/12/2021 at 07:26, Mark_Mywords said:

The Ninja is not the best in my opinion.  I did have the Ninja foodi Max (7.5l) and found that it didn't air fry very evenly at all.  I found that you had to shake the basket after 10 minutes, then every 5 minutes or so to keep some bits from burning.  I also found that it took quite a bit to come to pressure when pressure cooking (up to 20 minutes in my experience), which is poor if you were cooking rice dishes as it would sometimes dry out trying to come to pressure.  You always hoped it would come to pressure before the rice soaked up the liquid!

I now own a Instant Pot Duo Crisp.  Much much better even air frying.  Only one shake of the basket is needed half way through.  It also comes to pressure consistently very quickly.

Don't get me wrong.  I do like Ninja products.  I have the Ninja grill, which is fantastic at cooking Calzones in the winter. (Almost as good as the Ooni Pizza oven that I use the rest of the year.)  I do notice that Ninja have a new model out.  Maybe that is better.

Your one of those Conny Soors aren't you?

JudyJudyJudy

I had thought about an air fryer but I rarely fry or cook foods in oil

so it’s a waste of time for me really . I know it’s more healthy than traditional frying / cooking but using oil still isn’t that healthy 

Dagger Is Back
7 hours ago, Sooperstar said:

I tried baked tatties in mine and unfortunately they were burning on the outside before the inside was cooked. What temp/timings do you use? And how does a stir fry work in it?

Only had mine a month or so. The level of crisp you get on the likes of fish fingers is fantastic. 

I use this https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/air-fryer-baked-potatoes

Another option is zap them in the microwave and then crisp them in the AF.

Dagger Is Back

https://eatbetterrecipes.com/air-fryer-chicken-and-broccoli/

https://www.everydayfamilycooking.com/air-fryer-orange-chicken/

On 01/12/2021 at 12:26, Mark_Mywords said:

for info Lakeland.co.uk and i assume their shops have the 8l Instant Pot Duo Crisp for £119.99 a saving of 40% or £80. i've just ordered one and i am lucky as i nearly ordered one yesterday when the cheapest i could find it was around £150

Dagger Is Back

Cheers!

No worries. Good luck. I've found lots of recipes/good ideas online. Some have worked and some have seen me opening a tin of beans! 

On 31/08/2022 at 23:28, JudyJudyJudy said:

I had thought about an air fryer but I rarely fry or cook foods in oil

so it’s a waste of time for me really . I know it’s more healthy than traditional frying / cooking but using oil still isn’t that healthy 

An air fryer is poorly named, it's not a replacement for frying or cooking in oils it's instead of cooking in an oven.

All roads lead to Gorgie

Occasionally I have seen them in Aldi or Lidl, I wonder if they are any good at that level. Is the energy saving as good or is it false economy and better to pay more for a big brand name. I only shallow fry foods anyway and use the bare minimum olive oil in cooking so if these are even healthier then I might be tempted to purchase.

20 hours ago, milky_26 said:

for info Lakeland.co.uk and i assume their shops have the 8l Instant Pot Duo Crisp for £119.99 a saving of 40% or £80. i've just ordered one and i am lucky as i nearly ordered one yesterday when the cheapest i could find it was around £150

Just ordered this off Amazon...I've got a cheap old air fryer that's a nightmare to clean which I bought with an Argos voucher out of curiosity and a super cheap slow cooker from Wilko.

This also has pressure cooking and will allow me to condense down to just one thing. Nice one 👍

35 minutes ago, All roads lead to Gorgie said:

Occasionally I have seen them in Aldi or Lidl, I wonder if they are any good at that level. Is the energy saving as good or is it false economy and better to pay more for a big brand name. I only shallow fry foods anyway and use the bare minimum olive oil in cooking so if these are even healthier then I might be tempted to purchase.

I doubt anyone measures their energy usage in that much detail, but it's worth pointing out that they don't need any pre heating, so there's a saving straight away.

Plus, oven chips are amazing.

All roads lead to Gorgie
2 hours ago, Smithee said:

I doubt anyone measures their energy usage in that much detail, but it's worth pointing out that they don't need any pre heating, so there's a saving straight away.

Plus, oven chips are amazing.

Sounds good. I know when it says cook for 30 minutes in the oven you need to add another ten or so for the oven to reach the right temperature. Somewhere between a micro and an oven that cooks tasty food, something to consider right enough!:thumbsup:

1 minute ago, All roads lead to Gorgie said:

Sounds good. I know when it says cook for 30 minutes in the oven you need to add another ten or so for the oven to reach the right temperature. Somewhere between a micro and an oven that cooks tasty food, something to consider right enough!:thumbsup:

If it says 30 I'll give it 20-25 in an air fryer

All roads lead to Gorgie
1 minute ago, Smithee said:

If it says 30 I'll give it 20-25 in an air fryer

Can you use any cooking oil, I'm thinking the olive oil we use might be too thick.

I want one but the mrs is against it. Says it’ll be another ornament on the worktop to sit beside the toasty maker and rice cooker. Has a point but the chips look amazing. She’s away tonight so may order one after a bottle of red wine 🍷

Just got a 9Ltr twin drawer Tower airfryer delivered from "very" today. £129. Thought that was decent.

Lets see how it goes.