Women’s International Football

Rudy T

8 hours ago, Smith's right boot said:

These scores happen more frequently at school, lower league level, etc tho. 

Not quite.  In Scotland, youth football limits scores to 9-0. 

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Forever Hearts

• i8hibsh

• Jim Panzee

• Ulysses

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

10 minutes ago, Alec Eiffel said:

Not quite.  In Scotland, youth football limits scores to 9-0. 

That's the reported score. The actual score can be very different.

20 hours ago, Ulysses said:

No. He hasn't undermined his argument.  When it comes to strength and power, his argument is almost certainly correct - and if you think differently you need to go look at videos of some of the top 15-16 year old fellas playing.  His point is that it doesn't matter in tennis, or golf, or whatever, because the differences in power, speed and strength between men and women are acknowledged and accepted - so women's sport is of a high quality and standard in its own right.  Women don't compete against men, so the fact that men can drive, serve, shoot or run faster than women isn't relevant.  Nobody in their right mind would use male players as the benchmark standard for assessing the quality of women's tennis - but people do insist on using male players as the benchmark for assessing the quality of women's football.

It's a different game, and should be regarded as such.

Yes he has. One of the greatest female athletes of all time loses to a teenage male tennis player because of some perceived physical advantage which in reality doesn't exist against a physical phenomenon like Serena.

Sorry, no chance. That type of comment totally underestimates the abilities and strength of elite female tennis players never mind one of Serena Williams pedigree. 

While I understand the sentiment, it's a comment which actually serves to undermine the value of women's tennis, a sport where they compete more than adequately against men in mixed doubles.. .. .. 

Forever Hearts
7 hours ago, Aaron78 said:

Yes he has. One of the greatest female athletes of all time loses to a teenage male tennis player because of some perceived physical advantage which in reality doesn't exist against a physical phenomenon like Serena.

Sorry, no chance. That type of comment totally underestimates the abilities and strength of elite female tennis players never mind one of Serena Williams pedigree. 

While I understand the sentiment, it's a comment which actually serves to undermine the value of women's tennis, a sport where they compete more than adequately against men in mixed doubles.. .. .. 

They only compete well against men in mixed doubles because they have another man next to them. They rarely, if ever, return a man's first serve during a game.  

Edited by Forever Hearts

1 hour ago, Forever Hearts said:

They only compete well against men in mixed doubles because they have another man next to them. They rarely, if ever, return a man's first serve during a game.  

Most men can't return a mans first service only the top players do it frequently

Forever Hearts
27 minutes ago, Rockwell said:

Most men can't return a mans first service only the top players do it frequently

They return a helluva lot more than a female tennis player.  

18 hours ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

I’d say the issue is more the coverage it gets is disproportionate to the actual interest in the game, certainly in the UK.  There seems to be a lot more interest in the women’s game in the USA for example but even in England, in the top league, when they’re not giving away free tickets they’re getting crowds similar to the Scottish Championship or English non league.  It really should be semi professional at best. 

A prime example a few minutes ago there on the UK lunchtime news, carrying a big story about England winning 20-0 and White breaking the goalscoring record.  Hardly anybody is interested, it’s just political correctness gone mad and isn’t worthy of a national news audience. 

And before anyone starts wetting their knickers on their PC high horse, I’ve not seen one person saying women’s football doesn’t have a place or that it shouldn’t be actively encouraged. Quite the opposite in fact.  It’s the way it’s being done that is wrong. 

That’s fair. 

45 minutes ago, Forever Hearts said:

There is very little difference in the % of serves returned in mixed doubles, whether it’s a male serving to a male or a male serving to a female. 

Men are around 7% more likely to return it than women. 

2 hours ago, Forever Hearts said:

Has this been statistically proven or are you just making it up ?

10 minutes ago, Forever Hearts said:

7% more. See above. 

7% is not a "helluva" lot. 

For someone who has "no problem" with women's sport, you sure are spending a lot of time complaining about it. 

22 minutes ago, Forever Hearts said:

7% more. See above. 

It's not much of a difference tbh.

Much of that is due to the fact doubles players are not known for big serves but women compete very well in mixed doubles because it is not a power game and relies as much on finesse etc

Forever Hearts
17 minutes ago, tian447 said:

7% is not a "helluva" lot. 

For someone who has "no problem" with women's sport, you sure are spending a lot of time complaining about it. 

Where have I said I have no problem with womens sport? It's their football and the coverage it receives I have a problem with, nothing else. I enjoy watching womens golf and tennis because the standard is very high. 

Forever Hearts
7 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

It's not much of a difference tbh.

Much of that is due to the fact doubles players are not known for big serves but women compete very well in mixed doubles because it is not a power game and relies as much on finesse etc

True. They also don't receive the big bomb serves from the men. There's more spin serves in doubles. 

On 30/11/2021 at 22:52, Forever Hearts said:

You can spin it all you like, but womens fitba is utter pish. 

Their golf and tennis is completely different and I can watch that no problem. But their football is crap. 

You literally used the words "no problem" in relation to other women's sports in this post back on page 2.

That's where you said it.

6 minutes ago, Forever Hearts said:

Where have I said I have no problem with womens sport? It's their football and the coverage it receives I have a problem with, nothing else. I enjoy watching womens golf and tennis because the standard is very high. 

Forever Hearts
3 minutes ago, tian447 said:

You literally used the words "no problem" in relation to other women's sports in this post back on page 2.

That's where you said it.

Other womens sports I have no problem with. Just the football. Sorry for the crossed wires and my poor choice of words. 

Edited by Forever Hearts

Between September and November, there were 29 games in Women's international football with 7-goal winning margins (or more).

UEFA is now scrambling to find a way of re-structuring the qualifying system without making the "good" teams simply get a bye into every finals.

• 2 months later...
22 minutes ago, Eldar Hadzimehmedovic said:

I think it was a "perfect" hat-trick too. 😄

I saw this on CNN… they were trying not to laugh. Did she get to keep the match ball?