Women’s International Football

Rudy T

1 minute ago, Ulysses said:

You'll have to explain that to me.  If the money is spent on the women, surely it's gone?

Read up on it. Man City were exposed a few years back. The women's game is one of a billion loopholes.

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Forever Hearts

• i8hibsh

• Jim Panzee

• Ulysses

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Fozzyonthefence
1 minute ago, Ulysses said:

But obviously throwing speed must mean less in darts.  Or does it?  I'm not an expert in either sport.

Men have no advantage at darts.  

Just now, Fozzyonthefence said:

Men have no advantage at darts.  

Not now for sure. Would have been tough in the 80s tho as women can't handle their bevvy as much.

7 minutes ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

I think being taller at snooker is an advantage as it means a longer reach and less shots with the rest. 

Makes sense.

Fozzyonthefence
25 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

It’s absolutely right that women are given fair opportunity to play but the coverage and promotion it receives is beyond a joke. 

Especially as it relegates Scottish football even lower down the pecking order. 

This.  I’d also say the funding - getting falsely propped up so they can be professional doesn’t sit right with me.  Nothing wrong with remaining amateur if it’s not self sustainable (which it’s not).  Not that long ago that men’s rugby union was amateur.

Fozzyonthefence
17 minutes ago, jager man said:

It depends what you class as shite. Listen I can watch any level of football whether it be mens, women or kids and talk about the game without comparing it to the football you watch from your armchair. All I've said if you look at my posts don't compare it to men's. We've had mens professional football over one hundred years at least have the decency to allow the womens game to develop before you compare it to the men's game.

You’ve probably hit on something there - it should be allowed to develop properly before rushing into professionalism when it’s not ready for it.  

A better comparison is not with men’s football though - better to compare with teams they actually compete with and the top women’s international teams like USA and Norway have taken some skelpings from 15 year old boys clubs (not even boys international teams). 

18 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

Read up on it. Man City were exposed a few years back. The women's game is one of a billion loopholes.

Where? 

Nothing against women’s football (I’ve attended several times) but when I tuned into Radio Scotland tonight I have to say I was a bit disappointed to hear Spain v Scotland and not the SPFL Premiership game between 5th placed Motherwell and 4th placed Dundee Utd. 

Voice of reason
21 minutes ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

As I said, the Emperor’s New Clothes!  We should be allowed to call it out as it is without being accused of being sexist. 

I enjoy watching women’s golf, it’s an excellent standard but they can’t compete with the men simply because they’re not as powerful. Doesn’t mean they aren’t just as skilful.  I enjoyed watching Fallon Sherlock competing with and beating some of the best men in the world. Women’s tennis - same as the golf.  But women’s football, sorry but it’s pish.

Professional women’s football is an excellent standard for women - that’s surely a given. They train as hard as the professional men and when two evenly matched teams play then it’s entertaining (same as with men). The reason some men will give time to women’s tennis or golf is purely because it’s not football - unfortunately still the preserve of males in some eyes. Federer would destroy Williams, Rahm would destroy any female golfer etc but it’s not football so they accept it. Why is female pros getting ‘skelped’ by males in other sports okay but not in football? A top 15 year old male tennis player would probably beat Serena Williams - it’s totally irrelevant though. Just as it should be irrelevant in football. 

I train a women’s football team and the standard is excellent and the skill levels are really high. This thread is actually an embarrassment to Hearts as a modern thinking club with male and female teams. I hope the young, talented Hearts female players don’t read this rubbish and think it’s a majority view. We have about 6 posters on this thread just posting over and over again the same old outdated viewpoint in support of one another.  Some people need to just accept that football isn’t a male only sport anymore - things have evolved. Thankfully in a decade or so women’s football will be fully accepted and views like those seen on this thread will be history.

12 minutes ago, Voice of reason said:

Professional women’s football is an excellent standard for women - that’s surely a given. They train as hard as the professional men and when two evenly matched teams play then it’s entertaining (same as with men). The reason some men will give time to women’s tennis or golf is purely because it’s not football - unfortunately still the preserve of males in some eyes. Federer would destroy Williams, Rahm would destroy any female golfer etc but it’s not football so they accept it. Why is female pros getting ‘skelped’ by males in other sports okay but not in football? A top 15 year old male tennis player would probably beat Serena Williams - it’s totally irrelevant though. Just as it should be irrelevant in football. 

I train a women’s football team and the standard is excellent and the skill levels are really high. This thread is actually an embarrassment to Hearts as a modern thinking club with male and female teams. I hope the young, talented Hearts female players don’t read this rubbish and think it’s a majority view. We have about 6 posters on this thread just posting over and over again the same old outdated viewpoint in support of one another.  Some people need to just accept that football isn’t a male only sport anymore - things have evolved. Thankfully in a decade or so women’s football will be fully accepted and views like those seen on this thread will be history.

Well said.

17 minutes ago, Voice of reason said:

A top 15 year old male tennis player would probably beat Serena Williams

You've totally undermined your argument. A top 15 year old male could beat one of the most successful tennis players of all time because she's a woman??? 

You can't possibly believe that.... 

Edited by Aaron78

1 hour ago, Aaron78 said:

You've totally undermined your argument. A top 15 year old male could beat one of the most successful tennis players of all time because she's a woman??? 

You can't possibly believe that.... 

No. He hasn't undermined his argument.  When it comes to strength and power, his argument is almost certainly correct - and if you think differently you need to go look at videos of some of the top 15-16 year old fellas playing.  His point is that it doesn't matter in tennis, or golf, or whatever, because the differences in power, speed and strength between men and women are acknowledged and accepted - so women's sport is of a high quality and standard in its own right.  Women don't compete against men, so the fact that men can drive, serve, shoot or run faster than women isn't relevant.  Nobody in their right mind would use male players as the benchmark standard for assessing the quality of women's tennis - but people do insist on using male players as the benchmark for assessing the quality of women's football.

It's a different game, and should be regarded as such.

1 hour ago, Voice of reason said:

I went to my first Ireland women's game in the 1980s, because I knew two of the squad.  In fact, most of the people in attendance were there for exactly the same reason.  It was grim then and for many years afterwards, whereas now there is a bit of status associated with the team, and that's a good thing to see.  I'm sort of a fair-weather fan, where I'm delighted if they win but not too bothered when they lose - but then again, that's how I react to the Ireland men's team as well.

Best of luck with the team you're training.

Forever Hearts
5 hours ago, Voice of reason said:

The standard isn't excellent and the exposure, media attention and money getting thrown at a vanity project is ridiculous. It's horrendously bad and it won't improve much so why supporters of the womens game are kidding themselves on that it will I have no idea.

Nelly Terraces
31 minutes ago, Forever Hearts said:

The standard isn't excellent and the exposure, media attention and money getting thrown at a vanity project is ridiculous. It's horrendously bad and it won't improve much so why supporters of the womens game are kidding themselves on that it will I have no idea.

Absolutely nobody is interested in it & the crowds even in the English game are a joke. Even all the women I know who watch football think it's shit & have no interest in it whatsoever.

A_A wehatethehibs
21 minutes ago, Nelly Terraces said:

Absolutely nobody is interested in it & the crowds even in the English game are a joke. Even all the women I know who watch football think it's shit & have no interest in it whatsoever.

1 hour ago, Forever Hearts said:

Believe it or not, women's football was actually quite popular before it was banned (yes, that's right, it was laughably, banned by the football association from 1921 to 1971.) It had gained popularity during WW1 

The reality is there are lot of sporty girls out there who enjoy playing sports. Football is a sport. What's the problem?

Not saying I am interested in it personally but, good luck to them. It's actually slightly entertaining as well some of the comedy efforts on the pitch goalkeeping in particular. I reckon that's why it got popular during WW1, bit of a comedy show

It's really quite simple. If you don't like women's football, don't watch it. If you don't watch it, then you really shouldn't comment on it. 

Scotland's women team, have actually regressed under their current coach, as he can't make up his mind his best eleven or what formation to play, and I think the players are more than a bit confused.

Last night we let Spain put the ball out wide and cross into the box from both left and right wings far to easily, this was obvious from the kick off. Why the players themselves and the coach didn't rectify this, was criminal.

It didn't help that in the second minute that Scotland hit the bar from six yards out when it was easier to score.

I would bin the current coach and get a female coach in as I believe the players respond better to another female than they do a male.

10 hours ago, Sarah O said:

It isn't. 

It's just the gulf between nations that are growing it and those that aren't. 

Pretty much this, always happens when you get a mismatch 

Forever Hearts
1 hour ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Believe it or not, women's football was actually quite popular before it was banned (yes, that's right, it was laughably, banned by the football association from 1921 to 1971.) It had gained popularity during WW1 

The reality is there are lot of sporty girls out there who enjoy playing sports. Football is a sport. What's the problem?

Not saying I am interested in it personally but, good luck to them. It's actually slightly entertaining as well some of the comedy efforts on the pitch goalkeeping in particular. I reckon that's why it got popular during WW1, bit of a comedy show

It's been explained to you what the problem is. 

Forever Hearts
50 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

It's really quite simple. If you don't like women's football, don't watch it. If you don't watch it, then you really shouldn't comment on it. 

Scotland's women team, have actually regressed under their current coach, as he can't make up his mind his best eleven or what formation to play, and I think the players are more than a bit confused.

Last night we let Spain put the ball out wide and cross into the box from both left and right wings far to easily, this was obvious from the kick off. Why the players themselves and the coach didn't rectify this, was criminal.

It didn't help that in the second minute that Scotland hit the bar from six yards out when it was easier to score.

I would bin the current coach and get a female coach in as I believe the players respond better to another female than they do a male.

I wouldn't watch it if you paid me. I only know about it because it gets blanket coverage on all the main media outlets and I get sent the goalkeeping howlers on WhatsApp. 

Malinga the Swinga
49 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

Agreed. Coach looks like he will piss off best players and we will waste progress of last 10 or so years.

A_A wehatethehibs
2 minutes ago, Forever Hearts said:

It's been explained to you what the problem is. 

Not well. Just seems a bit incoherent… You’re annoyed that the press are covering it? 

Forever Hearts
Just now, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Not well. Just seems a bit incoherent… You’re annoyed that the press are covering it? 

The amount of press coverage it receives is ridiculous, yes. 

A_A wehatethehibs
3 minutes ago, Forever Hearts said:

What’s ridiculous about it? The press like stories people discuss. And here we are. Discussing it. 

Forever Hearts
3 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

What’s ridiculous about it? The press like stories people discuss. And here we are. Discussing it. 

People don't discuss it, that's the problem. 99.9% of football fans couldn't give a monkeys about womens football, and I include female supporters in that. 

Bazzas right boot
Spoiler

Nothing against it and hope it grows. 

Folk also need to not compare it to the, man's game. 

Surley folk don't watch a junior game and compare it to man City or a kids game and conclude "aye, but even Spartans would take 30 of them?" 

Watch it, it and if you don't compare it to the man's game it can good 

However, these types of scores do nothing for it and imo the goal keeping still undermines the whole thing. 

I'm also a bit miffed about sky and the bbc giving it billing over Scottish football, on the bbc you need to scroll down past women's football to get to our game. 

Clearly there is a plan to "promote" it and as per the BBC and sky do it at the expense of Scotland. 

Tbh, it  maybe my issue with these companies attitudes in general toward Scotland rather than promoting women's football that irks me. 

Either way I'm surprised of the apparent anger women playing football and the coverage of it causes for some. 

Edited by Smith's right boot

Malinga the Swinga
8 hours ago, i8hibsh said:

No point with guys like him. I am sure he watches as much women's football as me and that is **** all but he likes to be seen to show support so people will think he is a modern man.

Your ignorance is outstanding. Of course I watch women's football. The games with GB in Olympics were good, I watch the Scotland euro/WC qualifiers and have seen some games on BBC/SKY from women's league down South. I also watch highlights of SWPL on Beeb, especially if Hearts get result.

If you can't watch Chelsea v Arsenal women and appreciate quality of their teams, then it's not their fault you are stuck in past.

8 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

But we are discussing the overblown press coverage 😀

Newspaper dedicate loads of column inches to women’s games that attract crowds in the 100’s. 
Why are they not covering Brechin v Darvel as far more people were interested in paying to see that than any standard WSL game. 

My long term view is that more money will need to be found to fund the professionalism of the women’s game and that will come from TV. And where do we think the TV companies will take that money from? Clubs like us. 

The other issue the women’s game is that the governing bodies want to replicate the make game almost too exactly and this means rushing straight to a set up that encourages elitism, benefits the £££ clubs, and tosses aside the rest. 

Malinga the Swinga
19 minutes ago, Forever Hearts said:

I wouldn't watch it if you paid me. I only know about it because it gets blanket coverage on all the main media outlets and I get sent the goalkeeping howlers on WhatsApp. 

Laughable. Don't watch it, only see howlers on an app, therefore it's all garbage. 

Just laughable.

Forever Hearts
Just now, Malinga the Swinga said:

Laughable. Don't watch it, only see howlers on an app, therefore it's all garbage. 

Just laughable.

Yip, I've seen enough to form an opinion that it's garbage. And the attendances they get and a lot of the scorelines back that up. It's overhyped pish. 

Bazzas right boot
8 hours ago, Ulysses said:

What about snooker?  I'd have thought physical size and weight factors wouldn't matter in snooker either.

Boobs and height. 

Means the rest needs to be used ( a lot) more. 

A tall, skinny women would have no disadvantage tho. 

However, I'm Unsure how many tall, skinny, athletic women are mixing it down their local snooker club. 😜

Probably outside playing football, rugby or tennis! 

Bazzas right boot
4 minutes ago, Forever Hearts said:

64 shots on goal from England last night.😂

I wouldn't laugh too hard, we're at celtic in a day's time.. 

😭

It’s far better as a participation sport that a spectator sport. I’ve a couple of nieces trying to make their way through the youth ranks and I’m friends with the driving force behind Cockenzie Girls so I’m very supportive.

I’ve watched Hearts a few times and what’s not to love about Claire Delworth’s enthusiasm for all things HMFC? The latest Scarves Around The Funnel is excellent. 

However, there isn’t really an interest in supporting this (at the moment) beyond family and friends and free Edinburgh derbies, which would have some of us watching tiddlywinks. 
It needs time and until it levels out (at club and international level) and 20-0, 11-0 and even 8-0’s are a thing of the past it’s going to struggle. It’s now a lot more professional so who knows? 
In the meantime, as the old adage goes, if you don’t like what you’re watching/hearing, switch it off. 

Forever Hearts
1 minute ago, Smith's right boot said:

I wouldn't laugh too hard, we're at celtic in a day's time.. 

😭

Fair point.😢

Forever Hearts
1 minute ago, Shaggy2 said:

It’s far better as a participation sport that a spectator sport. I’ve a couple of nieces trying to make their way through the youth ranks and I’m friends with the driving force behind Cockenzie Girls so I’m very supportive.

I’ve watched Hearts a few times and what’s not to love about Claire Delworth’s enthusiasm for all things HMFC? The latest Scarves Around The Funnel is excellent. 

However, there isn’t really an interest in supporting this (at the moment) beyond family and friends and free Edinburgh derbies, which would have some of us watching tiddlywinks. 
It needs time and until it levels out (at club and international level) and 20-0, 11-0 and even 8-0’s are a thing of the past it’s going to struggle. It’s now a lot more professional so who knows? 
In the meantime, as the old adage goes, if you don’t like what you’re watching/hearing, switch it off. 

Sometimes it's hard to avoid it when it's on every sports channel, headline news on sports bulletins, discussed to death on Talksport and at the top of the results pages online meaning you have to scroll down to get to the mens results. 

2 minutes ago, Forever Hearts said:

Sometimes it's hard to avoid it when it's on every sports channel, headline news on sports bulletins, discussed to death on Talksport and at the top of the results pages online meaning you have to scroll down to get to the mens results. 

I totally agree that the coverage is disproportionate to the actual quality of the game. It’s the Sky Sports world we live in. 🤷‍♂️ It really irks me that they probably (I don’t know the figures) give more to English women than Scottish men where football is concerned. 

Edited by Shaggy2

6 minutes ago, Forever Hearts said:

As I said earlier in the thread I was pretty disappointed that Motherwell v Dundee Utd played second fiddle to that farce in Spain last night. Wonder what game would have been covered if Hibs v Rangers or Celtic v Hearts was last night? 

Knew before I opened this thread who the main posters would be😁😁. Anyway on subject, like a couple others have said, there needs to be some sort of pre qualifying setup to avoid these laughable scoreline as they help nobody. The women's game is here to stay and will only grow so time to man up😊 and live with it. 

Forever Hearts
Just now, XB52 said:

Knew before I opened this thread who the main posters would be😁😁. Anyway on subject, like a couple others have said, there needs to be some sort of pre qualifying setup to avoid these laughable scoreline as they help nobody. The women's game is here to stay and will only grow so time to man up😊 and live with it. 

It's not growing at anywhere near the rate predicted. They literally give tickets away to make the stadiums look busy and drum up interest.  

45 minutes ago, Forever Hearts said:

The Lionesses figure in the main news story this morning. A bit perspective needed. Cringeworthy name for a ladies football name. 

1 hour ago, John Findlay said:

People don't watch it though. I get the sentiment about not watching if you din't like it JF but it is not as simple as that. You can't avoid it. It is everywhere. The media lead with stories from it. It very much is being forced down our throats as the modern world competes to see who can be more progressive. And it seems to be living a champagne lifestyle on the revenue of Water with a dash of cordial. We as a society are so diversity focused we just no longer care about merit.  People winning awards and praise nowadays just because of what they are.  The Man City women's team would lose to 11 primary school boys yet are all earning staggering amounts of money just because they have vaginas. The people championing this nonsense seem to be those that continually demand a "fairer society". You simply can't even make it up.  There is NOTHING fair about it.

3 minutes ago, 132goals1958 said:

The Lionesses figure in the main news story this morning. A bit perspective needed. Cringeworthy name for a ladies football name. 

These woke warriors just don't see how patronising it all is.

Bazzas right boot
34 minutes ago, Forever Hearts said:

32 minutes ago, Shaggy2 said:

I totally agree that the coverage is disproportionate to the actual quality of the game. It’s the Sky Sports world we live in. 🤷‍♂️ It really irks me that they probably (I don’t know the figures) give more to English women than Scottish men where football is concerned. 

27 minutes ago, Shaggy2 said:

As I said earlier in the thread I was pretty disappointed that Motherwell v Dundee Utd played second fiddle to that farce in Spain last night. Wonder what game would have been covered if Hibs v Rangers or Celtic v Hearts was last night? 

I agree. 

The coverage it gets is over the top. 

The bbc news at 2200  had the lionesses result in it's headline with the gong thing. 

The BBC is clearly giving it more time and higher billing than the Scottish game and I would not be suprised if sky pay womens football more if not now, in the near future. 

However, for me that's not the women's fault, it says more about sky and the bbcs attitude to Scotland. 

It also reflects poorly on the folk who run our game, surprise surprise. 

2 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

I agree. 

The coverage it gets is over the top. 

The bbc news at 2200  had the lionesses result in it's headline with the gong thing. 

The BBC is clearly giving it more time and higher billing than the Scottish game and I would not be suprised if sky pay womens football more if not now, in the near future. 

However, for me that's not the women's fault, it says more about sky and the bbcs attitude to Scotland. 

It also reflects poorly on the folk who run out game, surprise surprise. 

Exactly. As I said it’s Sky’s world we live in now. It’s like Tomorrow Never Dies!