***Official Celtic vs. Heart of Midlothian matchday thread***

martoon

6 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

Stendel had a 100% loss record in Glasgow. Paulo Sergio lost both games at Parkhead, without us even scoring...

Okay, Mr P, one last reply.

Rangers 1 Hearts 2 in the League, Celtic 1 Hearts 2 at Hampden in the Cup semi. Both 2011/12, both courtesy of Paulo.

That's yer lot.

Stendel's record is hardly worth considering what with the shortness of his tenure/Covid.

Edited by martoon

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Thomaso

• Watt-Zeefuik

• Bongo 1874

• Hearts007

Pasquale for King
2 minutes ago, martoon said:

Rangers 1 Hearts 2 in the League, Celtic 1 Hearts 2 at Hampden in the Cup semi. Both 2011/12, both courtesy of Paulo.

That's yer lot.

Stendel's record is hardly worth considering what with the shortness of his tenure/Covid.

Sergio in one season has as many wins against the uglies in Glasgow as Levein and Neilson put together, one each at Ibrox 🤦🏽

1 minute ago, martoon said:

That's yer lot.

Neilson not beaten Rangers and Celtic by the same 2-1 score line?

Perhaps easier if you tell us which Hearts manager has a far superior record against the Old Firm? Should be quite easy to answer if Neilson's record is so poor ...

3 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Sergio in one season has as many wins against the uglies in Glasgow as Levein and Neilson put together, one each at Ibrox 🤦🏽

Good point, well made. 👏

Impossible reasoning with folk who move the goalposts every time they post.

The op, and opinions thereafter, have been based on Hearts in Glasgow vs. the OF.

My stalker this evening is adding home games, restricting his points to this season only...you can't debate with punters like that.

All because Cwaigy and Boab were criticised. Boo feckin hoo.

Apologies, Pasquale.

Just venting.

Edited by martoon

1 hour ago, DS98 said:

I’d change shape definitely. Celtic’s danger is the front 3. Jota, Abada and Kygo are on fire at the moment. Our 343 would quickly turn into a 523 as we’ve seen already. 

451 for me. Just ask our fullbacks to defend and leave no gaps. We are a match for them in midfield so not worried about getting outplayed in that department anymore. We will need a bit of luck no doubt about it but I do think we will get a positive result.

Gordon

Smith Halkett Souttar Kingsley 

Gino Beni Haring Devlin McKay 

Boyce

That's my line of thinking.  Would Moore be a better bet than Smith? Can he play in that position?  Or possibly preferred to Ginnelly?

We'll find out soon enough.

Big test for us if we have any aspirations of splitting the old firm.  Will be interesting to see how this team copes through there, slightly different personnel who’ve had more time to gel since the early league cup game.  Think this will be a good measure of how far we’ve progressed.

Pasquale for King
18 minutes ago, martoon said:

Good point, well made. 👏

Impossible reasoning with folk who move the goalposts every time they post.

The op, and opinions thereafter, have been based on Hearts in Glasgow vs. the OF.

My stalker this evening is adding home games, restricting his points to this season only...you can't debate with punters like that.

All because Cwaigy and Boab were criticised. Boo feckin hoo.

Apologies, Pasquale.

Just venting.

Levein never beat Rangers at Tynecastle ffs, Stendel did it twice 😆
Vent away mate, that’s what this place is for 😜

Pasquale for King
10 minutes ago, Getintaethem said:

Big test for us if we have any aspirations of splitting the old firm.  Will be interesting to see how this team copes through there, slightly different personnel who’ve had more time to gel since the early league cup game.  Think this will be a good measure of how far we’ve progressed.

Definitely, let’s see if they’ve learnt the lessons from the last time and our trip to Ibrox. 

13 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Levein never beat Rangers at Tynecastle ffs, Stendel did it twice 😆
Vent away mate, that’s what this place is for 😜

😄

3 hours ago, LungsOfMidlothian said:

Going to go to this.

Can I buy under 16 instead of adult and get away with it do you think? Less money to celtic and saves my pocket. 

Yes. I did last time and doing so this time, bought u16 tickets online. Celtic have scanners not people checking tickets

6 hours ago, Weonly151 said:

I'd like to see us go something like this team

Gordon

Souttar Halkett Kingsley 

Smith.                                Cochrane 

Benny

Woodburn Devlin McKay

Boyce

I think your pick will be the one starts.

I don’t mind admitting I’m worried about Thursday. We can’t stop giving up chances so our best hope is that they don’t have their shooting boots on or we just seriously go for it and snatch a point in a 3-3 draw! 

Not quite what I expected from a matchday thread....will try again in a few pages time. Hopefully the debate will have moved on.

Edited by JamboGraham

Just now, JamboGraham said:

Not quite what I expected from a matchday thread....will try again in a few pages time.

It isn't matchday though, come back on thursday. About 40 pages from now.

59 minutes ago, gregzy2k7 said:

4-0 loss, with a red card for us and a dodgy pen for celtic, we never get anything in that hovel.

Aberdeen got a courtesy VIP penalty for having Brown.   I doubt we'll get the same ☺ 

Told where to go and be quiet, etc... 

Hopefully we take no favours and just blow them away. 

Been following Hearts properly since 1982.

I don't recall us ever keeping a clean sheet at Celtic park.

Would bite your hand off for a 0-0 drab game now. 

2 hours ago, rudeskaboyuk said:

We beat them 2-0 there when robbo was boss. 

2 hours ago, rudeskaboyuk said:

Robbo won 2-0 there as a manager in 2005. 

Edit . Beaten to it

Edited by JimmyCant

If we play to our ability then who knows. We do know however we will be on the ropes for parts of this game, it's how we react to it that matters.

A wee fiver on the famous at 15/2.

Neilson got slated for being too open at Motherwell.  We were too negative first half in league cup tie.  What to do what to do.  We have to find a balance between closing down space and also being a threat up front.   I am going for a 2-2 draw.  

10 hours ago, Kiwidoug said:

That's my line of thinking.  Would Moore be a better bet than Smith? Can he play in that position?  Or possibly preferred to Ginnelly?

We'll find out soon enough.

I think if it’s an out and out right back your after then there’s not many more better in the league then Smith. Especially if your just asking him to defend. 

0-0 September 2015, watched it in a pub in Santa Ponsa, looks on their faces after the game, huge grin as I walked back to the Hotel.

Bazzas right boot
14 minutes ago, DS98 said:

I think if it’s an out and out right back your after then there’s not many more better in the league then Smith. Especially if your just asking him to defend. 

Agreed, underrated on here but I wouldn't be adverse to him going in at ch and we get a more dynamic wb. 

For me, Smith can replace Souttar like for like at ch for a couple of seasons. 

He's a good defender and confident on the ball. 

Had a few cracking games at ch. 

Bazzas right boot

6-3 Hearts 

3 red cards, 2 for Celtic. 

Certain Folk on here to moan our defending was shite. 

8 hours ago, JamboGraham said:

Not quite what I expected from a matchday thread....will try again in a few pages time. Hopefully the debate will have moved on.

The Robbie haters teamed up last night to ruin the thread. It's so sad to see but totally expected. They will be sitting on Thursday hoping and praying that we play crap and get beat. 

The Old Tolbooth

These are the types of games that completely expose Neilson's frailties as a manager, he quite simply doesn't have a clue! It always irks me when Hibs go through to either set of the bigot brothers and give them a game more often than not, and we just roll over and get our bellies tickled, although last time at Ibrox, although we were massively outplayed for long spells, we hung in there. 

Ginelly has to start as he was our only real threat last time when he came on at half time, and Smith, if he starts, will get ripped apart. 

Edited by The Old Tolbooth

8 minutes ago, The Old Tolbooth said:

These are the types of games that completely expose Neilson's frailties as a manager, he quite simply doesn't have a clue! It always irks me when Hibs go through to either set of the bigot brothers and give them a game more often than not, and we just roll over and get our bellies tickled, although last time at Ibrox, although we were massively outplayed for long spells, we hung in there. 

Ginelly has to start as he was our only real threat last time when he came on at half time, and Smith, if he starts, will get ripped apart. 

'Doesn't have a clue' but taken 4 points off the Old Firm already ...

'Doesn't have a clue' but managed to take Celtic all the way to pens in the Scottish Cup final ...

Clue: it's not Robbie that 'doesn't have a clue' it's a cluster of our 'support' ...

48 minutes ago, DS98 said:

Mmm, not so sure.  Always felt he’s quite easily exposed one on one. Not the best at jockeying a player into a position he can make a challenge. 

Kind of suits RWB as long as we have pace on the other side. He has cover behind him in the set up we play. 

Edited by Debut 4

58 minutes ago, The Old Tolbooth said:

Let's wait till Friday to see if we roll over ! 

32 minutes ago, 5-1Jambo said:

Been out of the loop since Saturday so anyone give an update on Bene injury?? 

Neilson said he's fine. So likely be out for 6 weeks.

The Old Tolbooth
1 hour ago, Mr Elwood P said:

'Doesn't have a clue' but taken 4 points off the Old Firm already ...

'Doesn't have a clue' but managed to take Celtic all the way to pens in the Scottish Cup final ...

Clue: it's not Robbie that 'doesn't have a clue' it's a cluster of our 'support' ...

I must have missed his league win in Glasgow this season :unsure:

He has the same style of play away to this pair every time, cup final we gave the entire first half away to them and should have been more than 2 down at half time, imagine if we had the balls to go at that terrible Celtic side from the start, we would have won that, Celtic away in the cup, he does the same thing and surrenders a 3 goal half time lead, it's too late to do anything by that point, Rangers away he surrenders the first half yet again and how we go in at half time only one goal down was down to poor finishing, great goalkeeping and a massive slice of luck, and yet each of these games we come out more in the second half and we play much better because we have a go and look threatening, please don't sit there and defend those tactics, they're suicidal. 

28 minutes ago, Boab said:

Let's wait till Friday to see if we roll over ! 

Absolutely mate, but I have a feeling it will be more of the same

Gordon

Smith Souttar Halkett Kingsley

McEneff Beni Devlin

McKay.         Boyce.           Gino

2 hours ago, TexasAndy said:

Neilson got slated for being too open at Motherwell.  We were too negative first half in league cup tie.  What to do what to do.  We have to find a balance between closing down space and also being a threat up front.   I am going for a 2-2 draw.  

For me, this is the biggest factor required, for getting a result against the uglies away from home. We can be defensive or attack-minded... but if we don't close them down (or get in their faces) we will get hee-haw. Sitting off them, being "happy to let them have the ball" doesn't work. If we close them down from the off, we have a chance.

11 minutes ago, The Old Tolbooth said:

I must have missed his league win in Glasgow this season :unsure:

He has the same style of play away to this pair every time, cup final we gave the entire first half away to them and should have been more than 2 down at half time, imagine if we had the balls to go at that terrible Celtic side from the start, we would have won that, Celtic away in the cup, he does the same thing and surrenders a 3 goal half time lead, it's too late to do anything by that point, Rangers away he surrenders the first half yet again and how we go in at half time only one goal down was down to poor finishing, great goalkeeping and a massive slice of luck, and yet each of these games we come out more in the second half and we play much better because we have a go and look threatening, please don't sit there and defend those tactics, they're suicidal. 

Absolutely mate, but I have a feeling it will be more of the same

I'm still waiting for someone to explain how you 'have a go' when you can't get a touch of the ball? The League Cup game we couldn't get near them. The win was at Tynecastle....

The Old Tolbooth
1 minute ago, Mr Elwood P said:

I'm still waiting for someone to explain how you 'have a go' when you can't get a touch of the ball? The League Cup game we couldn't get near them. The win was at Tynecastle....

I didn't mention our home form against them... 

And if you think surrendering entire first halves against them is a great tactic then knock yourself out, you should be in for another masterclass of surrendering on Thursday night too in the first half, enjoy. (I hope I'm wrong as I'm warming to Robbie against everyone else)

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, XB52 said:

The Robbie haters teamed up last night to ruin the thread. It's so sad to see but totally expected. They will be sitting on Thursday hoping and praying that we play crap and get beat. 

It's so tragic, but true. 

7 minutes ago, The Old Tolbooth said:

And if you think surrendering entire first halves against them is a great tactic then knock yourself out, you should be in for another masterclass of surrendering on Thursday night too in the first half, enjoy. (I hope I'm wrong as I'm warming to Robbie against everyone else)

Do we surrender possession though? My interpretation is that they have some very good players and we couldn't retain the ball for more than a few seconds ...

Bazzas right boot
9 minutes ago, The Old Tolbooth said:

Surrendering.. 

Nah, they have better players who controlled the game. 

They do it a lot v most teams. 

StirlingJambo

I’d slot in Moore for Smith for this one. Celtics main threat is there fast tricky winger and think he’d be more up to the task. 

Would like to try 2 up top with a press as there defence is the weak spot.

InternationalJambo
40 minutes ago, bistokid said:

Gordon

Smith Souttar Halkett Kingsley

McEneff Beni Devlin

McKay.         Boyce.           Gino

Would be my team 👍

Pasquale for King
28 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

Do we surrender possession though? My interpretation is that they have some very good players and we couldn't retain the ball for more than a few seconds ...

Surely if we can’t retain the ball for more than a few seconds then that’s surrendering possession?

Whether that’s down to the quality of the opposition or just our poor play is immaterial?

Gordon

Souttar Halkett Kingsley

Smith Beni Haring Cochrane

Devlin

Gino Boyce

Cammy basically in midfield but his job is to basically get right in the faces of their defenders when they have possession.  Gino and Boyce also pressing hard, with the rest of the team basically holding a solid shape out of possession.  In possession, it'll be about releasing Gino and being confident and bold enough to support him.

Haring being in the team gives us some height and aggression at set pieces both ends of the pitch and we lack that.  Could well come in to play I think.

This also gives us Woodburn, McKay and GMS on the bench, as well as McEneff and even Gnando - all players who could have an effect coming on if game tight (Gnando has done this in games v the OF quite well actually).

Guys need to have learnt from our LC trip through there.  I'm sure Robbie's plan was never to let Celtic have all that ball but Celtic started very very well and our boys weren't brave enough to get up close or to try to keep the ball.  Bravery the big word here - need to believe in themselves,