Herbs (fresh ones, not the dried, powdery, cardboard type version)

Morgan

Basil is King.

Coriander is his wee brother.

Thyme and Rosemary are their wee brother and sister.

Food without herbs is beer without alcohol. 

4 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Basil is King.

Coriander is his wee brother.

Thyme and Rosemary are their wee brother and sister.

Food without herbs is beer without alcohol. 

Tarragon is a fecking bully. I like it but the tiniest bit too much and you made a mess of your lovely meal. 
And apparently dislike of coriander is a genetic thing and some people can’t help but getting a soapy taste from it. I love it. 

4 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Tarragon is a fecking bully. I like it but the tiniest bit too much and you made a mess of your lovely meal. 
And apparently dislike of coriander is a genetic thing and some people can’t help but getting a soapy taste from it. I love it. 

For me, Taz, Indian food without coriander just doesn’t work.

We are lucky enough to be able to grow herbs almost all year round.  Our huge basil plant is still going strong even at the end of November.

We used to do a chicken and tarragon dish years ago, but as you say, just a wee bit too much and the dish is ruined.

Parsley in a fish pie - also with some pasta dishes.  Oregano while frying onions for dishes like joe's special (scrambled eggs with minced beef, spinach, red peppers), although I don't think I've had it fresh, just the dried stuff.  Love fresh thyme with a steak.  Rosemary with lamb.

Anyone tried vanilla ice cream with basil?  Not bad!

1 hour ago, Ribble said:

One of the most underrated herbs has to be marjoram, an absolute must in a chilli

Agreed.  I prefer marjoram to oregano.  As you say, great in chilli.  It's also great added to tomato sauce and homemade burgers.

3 hours ago, Savage Vince said:

Dried herbs are better than fresh herbs. 

:nojustno:

3 hours ago, frankblack said:

That is fighting talk :lol:

:lol: 

4 hours ago, Dia Liom said:

Parsley in a fish pie - also with some pasta dishes.  Oregano while frying onions for dishes like joe's special (scrambled eggs with minced beef, spinach, red peppers), although I don't think I've had it fresh, just the dried stuff.  Love fresh thyme with a steak.  Rosemary with lamb.

No, but I am going to.  :thumb: 

10 hours ago, Dia Liom said:

Strawberry ice cream with basil on Masterchef tonight. 

scott herbertson

Oregano's the chappie for me

Have several varieties in pots around the front door

Used to hate sage by my wife  puts it in omelettes and I've become acclimatised to it

The Mighty Thor

I love Rosemary. Really versatile and I've got a huge bush of it in the garden.

It ends up in roast potatoes and pretty much any meat I'm pan frying with half a head of garlic and enough butter to induce a coronary.