Oddly interesting YouTube videos.

Tazio

Somehow I’ve ended up watching a lot of videos on the Hydraulic Press Channel which is basically a mad Finnish bloke and his equally mad wife squashing things in a hydraulic press, with occasionally surprising results. 

I like Fireball Tools a lot, a dude that got rich off an invention and has made himself an amazing workshop for prototype building.

This one's a brief overview of him making his giant vice

Atomic Shrimp is very eclectic, from foraging and food to electronics to internet scam baiting.

Big Clive for titting around with shoddy electronics bought in Poundland.

Wristwatch Revival for vintage watch restoration.

Rescue & Restore for vintage toy restoration. No music, voiceover or anything on this one, just a bloke fixing stuff.

Life in Jars for a Dutch guy filling glass jars with mud and water and seeing what life appears.

Steve1989MREInfo for a guy tracking down, purchasing and eating ancient army rations. He's even chowed down on WW2 stuff.

World War Two for a superbly researched week-by-week account of The War. They did the same thing with WW1. Up to November 1942 at the moment.

2 hours ago, Tazio said:

I meant to put in the OP that the fascinating thing is the unexpected reaction of paper or banknotes when under enough pressure. 

i liked the anvil, i was expecting it to crush and compact rather than splinter and explode apart

2 hours ago, Tazio said:

I meant to put in the OP that the fascinating thing is the unexpected reaction of paper or banknotes when under enough pressure. 

Gimme a shout when / if they move on to Michael Gove.  :icon14:

Not odd or even interesting but the cash I've saved by fixing my washing machine and other such subjects must run into hundreds of pounds.

For all the internet's faults it has some gems and as far as I can make out you tube seems very well regulated.

Unless I'm missing something.

It's just a pity Tazio that the money in your post holds out longer than mine.

😣

58 minutes ago, Ked said:

Not odd or even interesting but the cash I've saved by fixing my washing machine and other such subjects must run into hundreds of pounds.

For all the internet's faults it has some gems and as far as I can make out you tube seems very well regulated.

Unless I'm missing something.

It's just a pity Tazio that the money in your post holds out longer than mine.

😣

I'm agreeing with you again. I too fixed my washing machine after watching a YouTube video. 😁

52 minutes ago, Savage Vince said:

I'm agreeing with you again. I too fixed my washing machine after watching a YouTube video. 😁

Dont worry we are far apart on some things.

But at least we dont carry it on to others.

It's good to be the same and to be different and I for one ken fek all about much .

👌

3 minutes ago, Ked said:

Dont worry we are far apart on some things.

But at least we dont carry it on to others.

It's good to be the same and to be different and I for one ken fek all about much .

👌

😊👍

11 hours ago, Cade said:

Atomic Shrimp is very eclectic, from foraging and food to electronics to internet scam baiting.

Big Clive for titting around with shoddy electronics bought in Poundland.

Wristwatch Revival for vintage watch restoration.

Rescue & Restore for vintage toy restoration. No music, voiceover or anything on this one, just a bloke fixing stuff.

Life in Jars for a Dutch guy filling glass jars with mud and water and seeing what life appears.

Steve1989MREInfo for a guy tracking down, purchasing and eating ancient army rations. He's even chowed down on WW2 stuff.

World War Two for a superbly researched week-by-week account of The War. They did the same thing with WW1. Up to November 1942 at the moment.

Love that Life in Jars guy. Super interesting 👍

Imagine using that Hydraulic Press as a torture device. :arry: 

I've spent way too much time watching Bald & Bankrupt's videos. Could honestly watch his content for hours. Basically a travel vlog, but a little different from the ordinary. He visits mainly ex-Soviet states and speaks fluent Russian, so really integrates with the locals. Rather than show you him in the big cities, he goes off the beaten track to find fascinating things in the villages. Seen so many places that I could never dream of visiting through him.

Also found a channel called Ordinary Things a couple of months ago and binged his channel. Basically makes wee 10-15 minute long documentaries about all kinds of random things, and educates you about the history of them. Some really random things too like the history of beds, but strangely fascinating, and he's pretty funny too.

rudi must stay

I have been watching a lot of Titanic videos lately. I found a channel called Titanic Honour and Glory which is a game that has rebuild the Titanic digitally. It's quite good. Have a look at some of the videos, the two presenting couldn't be more different and make for an interesting double act 

Edited by rudi must stay

Lock picking lawyer.. he basically picks locks and shows you how to do it. No idea why but I watch them all.. 

https://youtube.com/c/lockpickinglawyer

And there is a new channel from a Canadian dude who cleans border houses and crime scenes.  Its so interesting. 

https://youtube.com/channel/UCVnvKg-qBqctti0nT4aVZCg

Edited by Bigsmak

1 hour ago, Locky said:

I've spent way too much time watching Bald & Bankrupt's videos. Could honestly watch his content for hours. Basically a travel vlog, but a little different from the ordinary. He visits mainly ex-Soviet states and speaks fluent Russian, so really integrates with the locals. Rather than show you him in the big cities, he goes off the beaten track to find fascinating things in the villages. Seen so many places that I could never dream of visiting through him.

Also found a channel called Ordinary Things a couple of months ago and binged his channel. Basically makes wee 10-15 minute long documentaries about all kinds of random things, and educates you about the history of them. Some really random things too like the history of beds, but strangely fascinating, and he's pretty funny too.

Bald and bankrupt is so good. One of the best channels on YouTube.

19 hours ago, Irufushi said:

Bald and bankrupt is so good. One of the best channels on YouTube.

Unreal content. Always found the whole soviet era fascinating, and I've learned more about it than I ever did at school or the likes. No doubt too that the boy is a top shagger.

Seems to have a small army of critics though who are hell bent on destroying what he's built up. I've seen a lot of people saying his channel is purely government propaganda to portray how rosie times were in the Soviet era. :lol: Clearly these idiots haven't actually watched his videos.

33 minutes ago, Locky said:

Unreal content. Always found the whole soviet era fascinating, and I've learned more about it than I ever did at school or the likes. No doubt too that the boy is a top shagger.

Seems to have a small army of critics though who are hell bent on destroying what he's built up. I've seen a lot of people saying his channel is purely government propaganda to portray how rosie times were in the Soviet era. :lol: Clearly these idiots haven't actually watched his videos.

His pal kolya or however it’s spelt it some man . On his own in the Chernobyl zone ? Goes back to visit him with bottles of vodka and he’s necking it straight . Think he has Parkinson’s or something the poor guy. 

think it was Belarus where he and his mate had a 3 course meal , and then had another main course with 2 bottles of vodka for the equivalent of a fiver or something 😂. Live like a king over there.

Great channel.

5 minutes ago, Irufushi said:

His pal kolya or however it’s spelt it some man . On his own in the Chernobyl zone ? Goes back to visit him with bottles of vodka and he’s necking it straight . Think he has Parkinson’s or something the poor guy. 

think it was Belarus where he and his mate had a 3 course meal , and then had another main course with 2 bottles of vodka for the equivalent of a fiver or something 😂. Live like a king over there.

Great channel.

Aye the Kolya videos were brilliant. The one too where he goes in to the Belarussian village to give the shopping to the wee babushka who lived with her son. Think she was in her 90's and still out doing the gardening and growing veg. Hardy people they are, and really quite sad that people are still left to live in these forgotten and abandoned places.

Would love to visit Belarus or Russia one day. Tried learning a wee bit of Russian but the alphabet just throws me. :lol: Picked up a few wee phrases from Benjamin but.

Captain Lithuania
11 minutes ago, Locky said:

Aye the Kolya videos were brilliant. The one too where he goes in to the Belarussian village to give the shopping to the wee babushka who lived with her son. Think she was in her 90's and still out doing the gardening and growing veg. Hardy people they are, and really quite sad that people are still left to live in these forgotten and abandoned places.

Would love to visit Belarus or Russia one day. Tried learning a wee bit of Russian but the alphabet just throws me. :lol: Picked up a few wee phrases from Benjamin but.

There’s a channel run by some folk in Belarus and they go and visit Kolya who no longer lives in the exclusion zone. He looks much healthier. Think the channel is called Kolya the Storyteller. He’s a big football fan. 

About the alphabet, it’s really easy. There’s three kinds of letters. Ones that look and sound the same as our Latin ones, ones that look the same but have a different sound н makes an n sound for example. And then there’s ones we don’t have at all in our script like я which makes a yuh sound. I can read pretty much anything in Cyrillic script and a lot of the words are similar to ones we have like полиция which is “politsiya” for police. 

I’d recommend learning how to spell your name first and through that you can start to recognise the characters in other words. 

On 29/11/2021 at 14:04, Locky said:

Can also vouch for Bald & Bankrupt.

Safe to say the stereotype of the old Soviet countries being filled with alkies is accurate

Салатные палочки

+1 for Balds videos. The latest one with the Lithuanian gangster is brilliant. When he gave him the old Soviet Lithuanian flag and the book I was genuinely happy for him.

Amazing where a bit of confidence and charisma can take you in life. Also helps if you can speak the language fluently. 

It's also a nice surprise when Alina pops up in his vids :loved:

Spasiba Bald 

Салатные палочки
25 minutes ago, Smithee said:

YouTube premium is tidy by the way

Agreed, we'll worth the money. 

4 hours ago, Captain Lithuania said:

There’s a channel run by some folk in Belarus and they go and visit Kolya who no longer lives in the exclusion zone. He looks much healthier. Think the channel is called Kolya the Storyteller. He’s a big football fan. 

About the alphabet, it’s really easy. There’s three kinds of letters. Ones that look and sound the same as our Latin ones, ones that look the same but have a different sound н makes an n sound for example. And then there’s ones we don’t have at all in our script like я which makes a yuh sound. I can read pretty much anything in Cyrillic script and a lot of the words are similar to ones we have like полиция which is “politsiya” for police. 

I’d recommend learning how to spell your name first and through that you can start to recognise the characters in other words. 

Ive just seen a video of him, he does look much healthier. Legend . 

4 hours ago, Salad Fingers said:

Agreed, we'll worth the money. 

What diff does it make? 

Also a channel suggestion search for Lindybeige , really interesting eclectic stuff from history to medieval armour to Lindy Hop dancing. 
A smart and interesting guy! 

Салатные палочки
43 minutes ago, Clear few said:

What diff does it make? 

Also a channel suggestion search for Lindybeige , really interesting eclectic stuff from history to medieval armour to Lindy Hop dancing. 
A smart and interesting guy! 

Well the main one for me is no adverts. I also like that the videos continue to play in the background when your screen locks. Can download videos to watch while offline as well, which is handy for us as we can download Peppa Pig for the wee one to watch while we're travelling. 

You also get access to YouTube music. I use Spotify so don't use that as much but there is some albums on YT music that aren't on Spotify. 

1 hour ago, Salad Fingers said:

Well the main one for me is no adverts. I also like that the videos continue to play in the background when your screen locks. Can download videos to watch while offline as well, which is handy for us as we can download Peppa Pig for the wee one to watch while we're travelling. 

You also get access to YouTube music. I use Spotify so don't use that as much but there is some albums on YT music that aren't on Spotify. 

Cheers man🙏

Colin Furze. A proper physics/mechanical engineer mentalist who does experiments like 'the bike made entirely of springs', 'firing 100 rockets at another 100', the 'toasting knife' - a knife attached to an old microwave magnetron that would both slice and toast slices of bread at the same time, and my personal favourite, 'the jettle' - a kettle using a miniature pulse jet engine (identical to that on the V1 flying bomb) to make a cup of tea. 

Well There's Your Problem is another good one, couple of guys and girl taking a somewhat irreverent look at engineering disasters. 

A whole lot of camping/bushcraft ones. Too many to list. There's something soothing about watching someone start a fire in the woods, make a shelter, cook a decent steak and have a few beers. 

18 minutes ago, trotter said:

Colin Furze. A proper physics/mechanical engineer mentalist who does experiments like 'the bike made entirely of springs', 'firing 100 rockets at another 100', the 'toasting knife' - a knife attached to an old microwave magnetron that would both slice and toast slices of bread at the same time, and my personal favourite, 'the jettle' - a kettle using a miniature pulse jet engine (identical to that on the V1 flying bomb) to make a cup of tea. 

Well There's Your Problem is another good one, couple of guys and girl taking a somewhat irreverent look at engineering disasters. 

A whole lot of camping/bushcraft ones. Too many to list. There's something soothing about watching someone start a fire in the woods, make a shelter, cook a decent steak and have a few beers. 

Furze is seconded

2 hours ago, Salad Fingers said:

Also, every video on YouTube that's marked as music is available as an audio track in YT music. Great if you're into live gigs, remixes etc

21 hours ago, Captain Lithuania said:

Audibly, I don't find it that difficult. A lot of words make sense but yeah, written ****s me a wee bit. Good shout on the name thing though. Will give that a bash.

20 hours ago, Steak said:

Can also vouch for Bald & Bankrupt.

Safe to say the stereotype of the old Soviet countries being filled with alkies is accurate

:lol: They're genuinely a bunch of mad ****s.

19 hours ago, Salad Fingers said:

+1 for Balds videos. The latest one with the Lithuanian gangster is brilliant. When he gave him the old Soviet Lithuanian flag and the book I was genuinely happy for him.

Amazing where a bit of confidence and charisma can take you in life. Also helps if you can speak the language fluently. 

It's also a nice surprise when Alina pops up in his vids :loved:

Spasiba Bald 

Alinchick. :awlove:

29 minutes ago, Locky said:

Audibly, I don't find it that difficult. A lot of words make sense but yeah, written ****s me a wee bit. Good shout on the name thing though. Will give that a bash.

:lol: They're genuinely a bunch of mad ****s.

Alinchick. :awlove:

Someone needs to tell me how B&B pulled her... genuinely don't get it and fairly jealous haha

Салатные палочки
27 minutes ago, Steak said:

Someone needs to tell me how B&B pulled her... genuinely don't get it and fairly jealous haha

Charismatic, an adventurer, not a bad looking guy, has  genuine love for her native country. 

25 minutes ago, Salad Fingers said:

Charismatic, an adventurer, not a bad looking guy, has  genuine love for her native country. 

Aye but he's no quite me

Internet Historian ticks all of the sarcastic-as-**** boxes I require from a YouTube channel :lol:

Kurzgesagt is great for anything scientific, as is VSauce (for a real blast from the past channel).

RealLifeLore (as mentioned above) is great for interesting little things, and Half as Interesting does videos along the same lines.

• 9 months later...
9 minutes ago, jim747 said:

Not so much oddly interesting.... more bloody fascinating...

Give this a try. I was surprised at how nice a place it seems