Shoot!!

Jambos_1874

bringonthesevco
32 minutes ago, Gambo said:

Agreed.

Agreed but his “pops” are awful to date !! He’s managed 2 goals and 1 assist.

We’ve currently got Woodburn , McKay, Gino and Gnando with the same number of goals combined as Kingsley has .  Woodburn level with Cochrane in the goal scoring table (and behind on assists)…

McKay, Woodburn , Gino and GMS all have great attributes but their final decision making and shooting leave a lot to be desired …

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bazzas right boot

• Rogue Daddy

• Chillidigits

• GinRummy

43 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

There’s a guy on the transfer thread, who’s usually reliable, reckons Ellis Sims from Everton is a done deal for the next window. 

Hmmmmm. When was the last on loan striker we had that was any good ? Zeefuik ? We’ll be very lucky to get a striker in January, either on loan or full contract, who’ll hit the ground running. We need to be looking longer term at this and find a couple of young lads about to peak that we can keep for a couple of years.  If we’re going to have Sims, I’d rather we took him in the summer for a whole season as opposed to January when we’ll have him for about 15 games or so

bringonthesevco
1 minute ago, JimmyCant said:

Hmmmmm. When was the last on loan striker we had that was any good ? Zeefuik ? We’ll be very lucky to get a striker in January, either on loan or full contract, who’ll hit the ground running. We need to be looking longer term at this and find a couple of young lads about to peak that we can keep for a couple of years.  If we’re going to have Sims, I’d rather we took him in the summer for a whole season as opposed to January when we’ll have him for about 15 games or so

He’s just signed a new 3 year contract at Everton … would be a short term loan at best .

3 minutes ago, bringonthesevco said:

He’s just signed a new 3 year contract at Everton … would be a short term loan at best .

Indeed. They must fancy him and if he’s going on loan to finish the edges, it won’t be to us I wouldn’t think

6 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

Get where you’re coming from but as you suggest, January isn’t the best window. If it’s thought he can hit the ground running then I’d say it’s worth it. 

Just now, GinRummy said:

Get where you’re coming from but as you suggest, January isn’t the best window. If it’s thought he can hit the ground running then I’d say it’s worth it. 

I had a look for him this season and couldn’t actually find much game time. Is he injured ? On the bench for the first team ? Or am I missing something ?

2 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

I had a look for him this season and couldn’t actually find much game time. Is he injured ? On the bench for the first team ? Or am I missing something ?

No idea. Was just passing on what was mentioned on another thread. The ‘hit the ground running’ bit was just wishful thinking. I know nothing about him. 

Boyce aside we have one other player in team not afraid to shoot....Woodburn, may not always be a good strike but he does have a pop most games, but he gets pulled off or dropped.

Maybe that answers the question why we seem to be reluctant to shoot until a clear sight on goal?

Most players want/like to score goals but there have been far far too many times this season where we have went for the extra touch/another pass instead of attempting early shot.

I have been saying for weeks that Boyce's insistence on taking an extra touch costs him at least a goal a game.  So frustrating.  

On 28/11/2021 at 12:54, JimmyCant said:

They were disappointed not to get him out on loan in the summer (injured) so will be keen to get him out playing somewhere in January. He's got quite an impressive scoring record in the U23s - something like 37 goals from 38 games - so I'd be very keen to see what he does for us if he's coming here. 

I don't understand why we're reluctant to shoot. I can remember at least three instances of screaming SHOOT!! on Saturday, out of utter frustration. It's an absolute pain in the hoop. 

Bazzas right boot
27 minutes ago, Gambo said:

Boyce aside we have one other player in team not afraid to shoot....Woodburn, may not always be a good strike but he does have a pop most games, but he gets pulled off or dropped.

Maybe that answers the question why we seem to be reluctant to shoot until a clear sight on goal?

Most players want/like to score goals but there have been far far too many times this season where we have went for the extra touch/another pass instead of attempting early shot.

Boyce actually shots a normal amount, lots of his shots get blocked tho. 

Agreed, although I think the biggest problem is the shite side foot finishes. 

GMS, McKay, Gino, Woodburn Boyce, even Gnando all seem to favour the placement over power. 

Edit- I agree Woodburn, he does try from distance. 

****ing laces through it. 

Edited by Smith's right boot

Bazzas right boot
26 minutes ago, TexasAndy said:

I have been saying for weeks that Boyce's insistence on taking an extra touch costs him at least a goal a game.  So frustrating.  

Agreed, but he's also a bit unlucky, if that chance was on his right he probably hits it, but like lots of players he tried to cut inside. 

I do wish he'd hit more first time efforts tho. 

2 hours ago, Gambo said:

Exactly.... GMSs goal on Saturday was a first time effort, as was Cochrane's and both of Woodburn's against UTD.

We talk sometimes about players getting the ball on their wrong foot and missing chances. Is it too much to ask that professional footballers be two footed ? Since they spend the vast majority of their time training surely a fundamental requirement is to learn to kick with your standing foot and learn to balance on your kicking foot.

The benefits to both player and club would be off the scale imo.

1 minute ago, Chillidigits said:

We talk sometimes about players getting the ball on their wrong foot and missing chances. Is it too much to ask that professional footballers be two footed ? Since they spend the vast majority of their time training surely a fundamental requirement is to learn to kick with your standing foot and learn to balance on your kicking foot.

Don't get me on that soap box!... if you think it's bad up here, try watching some EPL games, players that cost 20,30,50 million... missing taps ins because they try to finish with their dominant foot. Absolutely pathetic. Couldn't agree with you more. Winds me right up! 🤬

Just now, Chillidigits said:

Great point.

Even a modicum of practice would improve the weaker foot. I would assume that players are encouraged to do so but, if so, it would seem not enough.

No one expects them to become wholly two footed but it surely wouldn't take much to at least have a weaker foot that possessed some strength and accuracy when needs must.

So many chances to shoot and score are missed. Not just by Hearts, of course.

22 minutes ago, martoon said:

Great point.

Even a modicum of practice would improve the weaker foot. I would assume that players are encouraged to do so but, if so, it would seem not enough.

No one expects them to become wholly two footed but it surely wouldn't take much to at least have a weaker foot that possessed some strength and accuracy when needs must.

So many chances to shoot and score are missed. Not just by Hearts, of course.

What !  you mean this affects other teams too   lol

3 hours ago, Chillidigits said:

Boyce's chance when he was about 9yds from goal but pulled back onto his right rather than hit it with his left was one of the most frustrating moments of the game. All he really had to do was guide it in the right sort of direction and it probably would have gone in, and if it didn't then it might have came back for someone else on the rebound, or gone out for a corner or whatever. Trying to work it back onto his right played right into the defender's hands and it was too easy for him to deal with. It was such a rubbish bit of football from the one guy in the team that you'd want on the end of a ball like that into the box.

I was far from two-footed when I played, but if it fell to my (weaker) left it would never even cross my mind to try and get it onto my right foot and always found it more effective to fire off a quick left-footed shot than it was to work it onto my right to try to place it. 

Edited by Batistuta87

Bazzas right boot
3 hours ago, Chillidigits said:

It clearly is. 

Players at all levels do this, some very good players are very one footed. 

It clearly can't be coached out like we think it should bem

As an experiment, try using your other hand for a month. 

You'll unconsciously default to your strong hand or side. 

Fans go on about it all the time but players will naturally favour their stronger foot, some more than others. 

I find that hitting it first time with my left foot works, as soon as I have time I'll bring it on my right 9/10, although Tbh as I got older I used my left foot more and more. 

Likely because my right was shite anyway and I had little to lose by giving my left a run out. 🤣

Bazzas right boot
7 minutes ago, Batistuta87 said:

Boyce's chance when he was about 9yds from goal but pulled back onto his right rather than hit it with his left was one of the most frustrating moments of the game. All he really had to do was guide it in the right sort of direction and it probably would have gone in, and if it didn't then it might have came back for someone else on the rebound, or gone out for a corner or whatever. Trying to work it back onto his right played right into the defender's hands and it was too easy for him to deal with. It was such a rubbish bit of football from the one guy in the team that you'd want on the end of a ball like that into the box.

I was far from two-footed when I played, but if it fell to my (weaker) left it would never even cross my mind to try and get it onto my right foot and always found it more effective to fire off a quick left-footed shot than it was to work it onto my right to try to place it. 

I agree but if he goes with his left it's a tight angle and it's going down the goallies throat. He has little to aim at. 

If he does get it on his right he's got the whole goal to aim at. 

But he made a Bawz of both. 

31 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

I agree but if he goes with his left it's a tight angle and it's going down the goallies throat. He has little to aim at. 

He's not even bad with his left foot though - he hit a shot with his left a little later on (probably after getting a bollocking for not doing it the first time) and got some good power behind it. 

Bazzas right boot
Just now, Batistuta87 said:

He's not even bad with his left foot though - he hit a shot with his left a little later on (probably after getting a bollocking for not doing it the first time) and got some good power behind it. 

Aye, it could be that he simply thought he'd get a better angle and a better chance to score if he'd gotten it  on his right as opposed to not wanting to shoot with his left 

IMO The angle suited a right footer or a right footed shot. 

Either way it ended up a mess. 

10 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

Well he did it against Rangers when he first joined us and ended up perfect. Now that everybody knows what he's likely to do that wee trick doesn't work so often. Thinking about the two footed thing, if players started off just exercising by putting all their weight on their kicking leg and slowly improving their balance and in turn strengthening the muscles in that leg then when it came to actually kicking the ball I'm sure they'd feel more confident and achieve more success.  Of course it feels awkward and not easy to learn and maybe you're at a big club and it feels like an insult that the coach is dragging you back to basics. Well tough shit. Do what you're told and be grateful you're not being sent to Portobello beach to do keepy uppie with an orange.

In looking up some stats I found a Scotsman article from 4-5 years ago where Walker was leading the SPFL in shots on target.

Whatever else happened with him, he wasn't scared to shoot and he knew how to hit the frame.

On 27/11/2021 at 18:33, OTT said:

Completely agree. We need to get our shot count up. We're too reluctant to try and take the shot and seem intent on carving the 'perfect' opening. Invariably thats not going to happen and as long as we get the ball into the net, I couldn't care how it happens. If its a deflected bobble then great. Ugly goals are still goals. 

Rangers have scored 41 in 245 shots, Celtic 46 goals in 243, we have 35 goals in 185 shots. Both OF sides have played 2 games less too. We really need to start taking more pops at goal. We can't walk the ball into the net. The rest of the league aren't miles below us, nor are we miles above them that we can do that. Up our shots count and we should see more goals.

Boyce needs to start taking first time shots. If its his wrong foot, its his wrong foot. He's missing too many chances by being hell bent on getting it onto his preferred foot. I'd rather he just get the shot off and if he misses so be it. We're not miles better than the other sides in this league to mean we have the time to set things up exactly perfect. 

McKay needs to get a bit greedier. He's easily our best winger and is dangerous with the ball but seems to prefer to set up goals rather than score them himself. Maybe a confidence thing? Either way, should take a pop once in a while. 

Would like to see our wingers drive into the box rather than to the byline. We only have 1 man in the box most of the time, so probability of hitting him rather than the goalie/CB/CB/CM or fullbacks is slim to none. Drive into the box and either draw a foul (penalty) or create the chance to get a shot off. Trying to pick out a heavily marked Liam Boyce is just bloody stupid and wasteful. Gino, GMS and Mckay all have quick feet and once in the box the defenders will be shitting themselves not to give away the foul. Should be utilising that.

Interestingly though our shots to goal ratio is better than TheRangers and the exact same as Celtic. While our shots on goal may be lesser,it appears that our goal ratio is excellent so the quality is definitely there 

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, Chillidigits said:

Well he did it against Rangers when he first joined us and ended up perfect. Now that everybody knows what he's likely to do that wee trick doesn't work so often. Thinking about the two footed thing, if players started off just exercising by putting all their weight on their kicking leg and slowly improving their balance and in turn strengthening the muscles in that leg then when it came to actually kicking the ball I'm sure they'd feel more confident and achieve more success.  Of course it feels awkward and not easy to learn and maybe you're at a big club and it feels like an insult that the coach is dragging you back to basics. Well tough shit. Do what you're told and be grateful you're not being sent to Portobello beach to do keepy uppie with an orange.

I think the two footed thing is more mental. 

From the age of whatever, two, three?Your brain will favour a side 

Not sure you will ever coach it out of folk especially adults, probably been tried and tested. 

Coaching that ability has to start really early but unfortunately if you want to score goals, run past your pals!/ opponents and win games you will revert back to your strong foot. 

As soon as you compete you'll change to your stronger foot, even as a kid or teenager. 

If you were experimenting with your weeker foot and having a shocker you'd get an earful and soon change to your stronger foot. 

"Unlucky guys you got beat 8-0 but in 8-10 years time you'll be thanking me for using your weeker foot" won't just cut it. 

Tbh Spending 20 mins on it in training won't change a thing. 

You'll revert back to play better almost straight away. 

Iirc, v rangers it taken a massive deflection, but yes he did cut inside and open the goal up but went from right to left. 

43 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

I think the two footed thing is more mental. 

From the age of whatever, two, three?Your brain will favour a side 

Not sure you will ever coach it out of folk especially adults, probably been tried and tested. 

Coaching that ability has to start really early but unfortunately if you want to score goals, run past your pals!/ opponents and win games you will revert back to your strong foot. 

As soon as you compete you'll change to your stronger foot, even as a kid or teenager. 

If you were experimenting with your weeker foot and having a shocker you'd get an earful and soon change to your stronger foot. 

"Unlucky guys you got beat 8-0 but in 8-10 years time you'll be thanking me for using your weeker foot" won't just cut it. 

Tbh Spending 20 mins on it in training won't change a thing. 

You'll revert back to play better almost straight away. 

Iirc, v rangers it taken a massive deflection, but yes he did cut inside and open the goal up but went from right to left. 

I agree it's a mental thing . At some point in your active football life if you're serious about it, you need to have the mentality for improvement. I'm not talking about methodologies you've outlined that don't work and do nothing but drain your confidence . The more you practise a skill the better you'll get. Stephen Kingsley realised that and his rewards come along - like on Saturday.

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, Chillidigits said:

I agree it's a mental thing . At some point in your active football life if you're serious about it, you need to have the mentality for improvement. I'm not talking about methodologies you've outlined that don't work and do nothing but drain your confidence . The more you practise a skill the better you'll get. Stephen Kingsley realised that and his rewards come along - like on Saturday.

It's an interesting one. 

I guess all pros spend some time training their weaker foot but how much benefit in a competitive match will that give you unless you can train your brain to not favour one way so you transfer it to the match. 

It can't be easy or everyone would be doing it. 

If I was a footballer, or in any sport I'd spend more time training my strengths for a variety of reasons but the main one would be I'll get better and use it competitively. 

I don't think Messi spends much time training heading for example or Berra spent much time practicing mazy dribbles! 🤣

Why, because it would benefit them little. 

Berra probably practiced heading concrete blocks and blasting balls into space.... 

Kingsley has always been good at free kicks, he practiced and got better. 

I doubt he wastes much time hitting right foot free kicks for example. 

He'd probably hate it and it would be marginal improvement with a lot of effort. 

Not much benefit him much. 

Like any work, do you spend time concentrating on improving your shite areas or make your better one's even better? These skills will also come more naturally and be more enjoyable so you'll do it more. 

It's a conundrum. 

I think in athletics folk that do multiple disciplines will spend the most time on the ones they are better at  and have a chance of winning and spend less time on the areas they know will benefit them little. 

Training adult pro footballers to use both feet must be difficult or you'd have lots of players that were comfortable with two feet, but you don't, even at the very top level. 

Must be a reason for it. 🤷‍♂️

IMO because it's a mental thing that is almost impossible to coach out of someone or it would take extensive, focussed training to the determinate of other skills over the piece. 

Just my theory tho, could be shite. 

2 hours ago, Smith's right boot said:

It's an interesting one. 

I guess all pros spend some time training their weaker foot but how much benefit in a competitive match will that give you unless you can train your brain to not favour one way so you transfer it to the match. 

It can't be easy or everyone would be doing it. 

If I was a footballer, or in any sport I'd spend more time training my strengths for a variety of reasons but the main one would be I'll get better and use it competitively. 

I don't think Messi spends much time training heading for example or Berra spent much time practicing mazy dribbles! 🤣

Why, because it would benefit them little. 

Berra probably practiced heading concrete blocks and blasting balls into space.... 

Kingsley has always been good at free kicks, he practiced and got better. 

I doubt he wastes much time hitting right foot free kicks for example. 

He'd probably hate it and it would be marginal improvement with a lot of effort. 

Not much benefit him much. 

Like any work, do you spend time concentrating on improving your shite areas or make your better one's even better? These skills will also come more naturally and be more enjoyable so you'll do it more. 

It's a conundrum. 

I think in athletics folk that do multiple disciplines will spend the most time on the ones they are better at  and have a chance of winning and spend less time on the areas they know will benefit them little. 

Training adult pro footballers to use both feet must be difficult or you'd have lots of players that were comfortable with two feet, but you don't, even at the very top level. 

Must be a reason for it. 🤷‍♂️

IMO because it's a mental thing that is almost impossible to coach out of someone or it would take extensive, focussed training to the determinate of other skills over the piece. 

Just my theory tho, could be shite. 

I used to play a bit when I was young. I was all left foot and whenever the obvious thing to do was use my right I felt awkward. I knew what I wanted to do but I couldn't manage it. I knew it was a weakness and it was that my right leg wasn't used to taking my weight, at least that's what I thought at the time. So my plan to solve the problem was to practise keepy uppie with right foot only, kicking the ball against a wall only with right , balancing on my left leg , doing 100 hops on left leg . I didn't do this day after day, just when I could remember.

It was hard going but over time I could feel my left leg better able to support my weight because I'd made it stronger. I became much more comfortable with the ball on my right side.

The point I'm making is that it's always possible overcome a weakness to make yourself better than you were before.

Bazzas right boot
29 minutes ago, Chillidigits said:

I used to play a bit when I was young. I was all left foot and whenever the obvious thing to do was use my right I felt awkward. I knew what I wanted to do but I couldn't manage it. I knew it was a weakness and it was that my right leg wasn't used to taking my weight, at least that's what I thought at the time. So my plan to solve the problem was to practise keepy uppie with right foot only, kicking the ball against a wall only with right , balancing on my left leg , doing 100 hops on left leg . I didn't do this day after day, just when I could remember.

It was hard going but over time I could feel my left leg better able to support my weight because I'd made it stronger. I became much more comfortable with the ball on my right side.

The point I'm making is that it's always possible overcome a weakness to make yourself better than you were before.

Agreed, the question is should you spend time in improving weakness or further improving your strengths? 

What will benefit an individual more, especially at a competitive level. 

I guess it's a life question! 

In regards to football at the highest level I'm sure clubs and coaches have techniques but players still  even at the top level often heavily favour their strong foot. 

I doubt it's a simple thing to fix, if it was then we wouldn't be having this exchange. 

8 hours ago, Smith's right boot said:

Agreed, the question is should you spend time in improving weakness or further improving your strengths? 

In regards to football at the highest level I'm sure clubs and coaches have techniques but players still  even at the top level often heavily favour their strong foot. 

I doubt it's a simple thing to fix, if it was then we wouldn't be having this exchange. 

It’s not up for question that players will always prefer using their dominant foot… but, for me, using your weaker foot should be a ‘basic’ requirement- I’ve never played football at any level above school boy but I can still pass and shoot with my weaker foot when required. I wouldn’t even say I consciously practiced with it as a kid… I just used it when it ‘made sense’.

Every week you see top players miss a tap in when they try to lead with their dominant foot when ,clearly, using their weaker foot they would have scored. That’s absolutely criminal for a pro…and it’s what will stop the likes of Andy Irving playing at a higher level. You could see, each week, how he would try to adjust his body (taking up time) in preference of his dominant foot - usually meaning a backward pass. 
If any players should be practicing using both feet, it should be goalkeepers as they can’t pick up the ball from a pass back… but IMO it should be a basic requirement. Something that’s encouraged at school/youth level. It should be something players ‘can do’ when required as opposed to ‘practicing’ at senior level as (as you say) they should be concentrating on other parts of their game. 

Bazzas right boot
13 minutes ago, Rogue Daddy said:

It’s not up for question that players will always prefer using their dominant foot… but, for me, using your weaker foot should be a ‘basic’ requirement- I’ve never played football at any level above school boy but I can still pass and shoot with my weaker foot when required. I wouldn’t even say I consciously practiced with it as a kid… I just used it when it ‘made sense’.

Every week you see top players miss a tap in when they try to lead with their dominant foot when ,clearly, using their weaker foot they would have scored. That’s absolutely criminal for a pro…and it’s what will stop the likes of Andy Irving playing at a higher level. You could see, each week, how he would try to adjust his body (taking up time) in preference of his dominant foot - usually meaning a backward pass. 
If any players should be practicing using both feet, it should be goalkeepers as they can’t pick up the ball from a pass back… but IMO it should be a basic requirement. Something that’s encouraged at school/youth level. It should be something players ‘can do’ when required as opposed to ‘practicing’ at senior level as (as you say) they should be concentrating on other parts of their game. 

It is alarming how many players will arc their body just to get it on a stronger foot when it's a 10 yard side foot pass or shot into an empty goal. 

All Players should be able to do that. 

But they can't and don't. Clearly a reason for it and it can't be training as the problem would be largely fixed. 

It's probably an unconscious "decision" and almost like a reflex, therefore all the coaching in the world, especially at an adult age will struggle to change that. 

You might train OK with it, but as soon as your on a competitive situation and you are in match mode, with split seconds to think you flick back to your natural behaviour. 

It can't be easy to do or it would be getting done 

Neil McCann was one of the worst for it. 

Good player tho. 

I think in terms of a striker having the ability to use either foot and head would be what sets you out from other strikers.  Ronaldo scores loads of goals with his 'wrong' foot and obviously worked on his heading throughout his career.  It's about the element of surprise.  Often the earlier you hit a chance the less time the keeper has to get in to position.   The interesting thing for me is that I don't think Boyce is uncomfortable on his left foot, I just think he has a habit of always taking that extra touch to set up the perfect chance.  That's fine if he's mixing it up but more often than not lately he's allowed the defender to block.   

1 minute ago, Smith's right boot said:

It is alarming how many players will arc their body just to get it on a stronger foot when it's a 10 yard side foot pass or shot into an empty goal. 

All Players should be able to do that. 

But they can't and don't. Clearly a reason for it and it can't be training as the problem would be largely fixed. 

It's probably an unconscious "decision" and almost like a reflex, therefore all the coaching in the world, especially at an adult age will struggle to change that. 

You might train OK with it, but as soon as your on a competitive situation and you are in match mode, with split seconds to think you flick back to your natural behaviour. 

It can't be easy to do or it would be getting done 

Neil McCann was one of the worst for it. 

Good player tho. 

I think this is definitely the case, which is why it should be (and may well be) taught or highlighted, at an early age. Almost making it ‘natural’ - not necessarily comfortable- but a natural reaction. 
I still find it baffling (especially in the EPL) when players who cost multi-millions avoid using their weaker foot… it’s blatant and you see it every week… usually to the detriment of the passage of play. 

Bazzas right boot
12 minutes ago, Rogue Daddy said:

I think this is definitely the case, which is why it should be (and may well be) taught or highlighted, at an early age. Almost making it ‘natural’ - not necessarily comfortable- but a natural reaction. 
I still find it baffling (especially in the EPL) when players who cost multi-millions avoid using their weaker foot… it’s blatant and you see it every week… usually to the detriment of the passage of play. 

Yeah, but Tbh being worth x£ million in England means little imo and doesn't mean they are special, in that they will still favour one side and will have since being  a toddler. 

It definitely needs to be more natural and that would point to coaching it really, really early. 

However, how many young kids would want to practice their weaker foot to the point where it benefits them?

They want to run about, score, have fun and beat their pals. 

How it should be. 

Not many, if any you kids are going to accept training their other foot as it will help them use both feet more naturally in 15 years time, they'd get bored.

It might even waste time that they could have been using to train other attributes that they enjoy doing and actually make them  a worse player than they otherwise could have been. 

Likewise trying to train your weaker foot when an adult is difficult and probably too time consuming for any tangible benefit in a competitive match as by that time it's more a mental thing favouring oneside that unlikley can be reversed in any meaningful way. 

It can't be easy. Top clubs will be all over this sort of thing. 

10 hours ago, Smith's right boot said:

Put simply if you improve a weakness to the extent that it becomes a strength then you can add it to the strengths you'd like to further improve.    lol

Bazzas right boot
13 minutes ago, Chillidigits said:

Put simply if you improve a weakness to the extent that it becomes a strength then you can add it to the strengths you'd like to further improve.    lol

Agreed, very few will do that In Football or in life tho. 

Too easy to do what your good it and generally more enjoyable. 

That is why I'm a male gigolo!

Ex member of the SaS
On 30/11/2021 at 08:28, Gambo said:

Perfect example with T Watt last night. On the edge of the box and put it away in the top corner. At first I thought he would pass it but no, run onto it and bang in it went. Something our lot should be doing more often. First off it doesn't give the defense or keeper time to get set and second it saves having half the team busting a gut to get into the box.

Ex member of the SaS
2 hours ago, Rogue Daddy said:

Was there not a manager a long time ago made the player ( in training )put a slipper on his " good " foot and forced him to use his weaker foot more often. Every professional player should be comfortable using both feet.

6 minutes ago, Ex member of the SaS said:

Was there not a manager a long time ago made the player ( in training )put a slipper on his " good " foot and forced him to use his weaker foot more often. Every professional player should be comfortable using both feet.

Yes this is my thinking... I actually think it's quite important but it would probably have to be introduced at an early age. I wouldn't even say players have to be comfortable or competent... just  instinctive. I really don't think it would take that much coaching if caught early on eg. 10- teen age years. Players young and old, should be able to pass 10-20 yards with their weaker foot without having to resort to adjusting their posture to use their dominant foot.

16 minutes ago, Ex member of the SaS said:

Perfect example with T Watt last night. On the edge of the box and put it away in the top corner. At first I thought he would pass it but no, run onto it and bang in it went. Something our lot should be doing more often. First off it doesn't give the defense or keeper time to get set and second it saves having half the team busting a gut to get into the box.

Ironically, most of our goals of late have been from taking shots first time... makes you wonder how many we could have had. Boycie would certainly be on 3 or 4 more.

Bazzas right boot
6 minutes ago, Ex member of the SaS said:

Pointless tho. 

As  soon as he's in a competitive situation he will use his strong foot. 

Unless he wears a slipper while playing as well. 

Professional players aren't automatically born with a gene than makes them able to use both feet. 

They should be able to use both feet and most can but unless you are ambidextrous you will sub consciously revert to your stronger side pretty much all the time, especially if under pressure which in this case would be a competitive match. 

People can train or coach themselves as much a they want but under pressure they revert back to type, this is true with all behaviours. 

In football that means playing in a game. 

It can't be that easy or everyone would do it. 

Bazzas right boot
3 minutes ago, Rogue Daddy said:

Yes this is my thinking... I actually think it's quite important but it would probably have to be introduced at an early age. I wouldn't even say players have to be comfortable or competent... just  instinctive. I really don't think it would take that much coaching if caught early on eg. 10- teen age years. Players young and old, should be able to pass 10-20 yards with their weaker foot without having to resort to adjusting their posture to use their dominant foot.

They probably can, probably could do it easy in training, but if a defender is running at you or you are in a rush you will go to your dominant foot. 

Bet most can do lots of keppy uppys and tricks either left, take a good touch etc. 

Physically most players can pass and shoot with their weaker foot, but in a match you revert back to instinct and your sub conscious will take over. 

10 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

Agreed, very few will do that In Football or in life tho. 

Too easy to do what your good it and generally more enjoyable. 

That is why I'm a male gigolo!

lol   So is it the woman who's financially supporting you that pays for your season ticket ?   Still I don't see why in the professional game these days with so much attention paid to detail, players can't both work on skills they're already good at and also chip away at a weak aspect of their game . Can coaches who let's face it these days must know the players better than they know themselves not identify the shortfalls and focus on fixing them.

Of course if there is a universal recognition that attempts to make players kick better with their wrong foot is not worth bothering about then people like me should just shut up and meekly accept the standards presented to us

1 minute ago, Smith's right boot said:

They probably can, probably could do it easy in training, but if a defender is running at you or you are in a rush you will go to your dominant foot. 

Bet most can do lots of keppy uppys and tricks either left, take a good touch etc. 

Physically most players can pass and shoot with their weaker foot, but in a match you revert back to instinct and your sub conscious will take over. 

Possibly.. actually probably. Which makes it's a confidence issue... but like I said above, players don't need to be good with their weaker foot - just 'instinctively' use it when required/the easier think to do - how the individual get's to that point is anyone's guess. One things for sure, there are plenty of professional footballers out there that only think their weaker foot is for standing on (as my old dad used to say.) But, for me at least, a professional footballer should be able to do this without thinking.

Bazzas right boot
20 minutes ago, Chillidigits said:

lol   So is it the woman who's financially supporting you that pays for your season ticket ?   Still I don't see why in the professional game these days with so much attention paid to detail, players can't both work on skills they're already good at and also chip away at a weak aspect of their game . Can coaches who let's face it these days must know the players better than they know themselves not identify the shortfalls and focus on fixing them.

Of course if there is a universal recognition that attempts to make players kick better with their wrong foot is not worth bothering about then people like me should just shut up and meekly accept the standards presented to us

I don't think it's a coaching or training issue Tbh. 

It's the human brain and how it works especially under pressure or in a competitive situation. 

Going a step further, some players are calmer and mentally more composed, they  are then less  Likley to be panicked, rushed etc so these types will be better not only in general but as they are calmer and composed the may be more comfortable on a weaker foot. 

Also a very good first touch will set you up for a pass easier, again better players will do this so they are in a better position to then shoot or pass. 

A shite first touch will have you rushed, reaching, spinning around get it under control etc. You will then  revert back to type. 

Do you work on you first touch setting you up more or do you work on your weaker foot  more incase you need to recover? 

Million dollar question, but imo it's more mental( sub conscious / cognitive?) and coaching an adult to use their other foot  will have little impact on a players overall improvement

If it had vast tangible results we'd have lots of players using two feet comfortably. 

It's still annoying tho. 

2 minutes ago, Rogue Daddy said:

Possibly.. actually probably. Which makes it's a confidence issue... but like I said above, players don't need to be good with their weaker foot - just 'instinctively' use it when required/the easier think to do - how the individual get's to that point is anyone's guess. One things for sure, there are plenty of professional footballers out there that only think their weaker foot is for standing on (as my old dad used to say.) But, for me at least, a professional footballer should be able to dok this without thinking.

all professional sport is played in the top 3 inches of a player.

training gets you so far. when the crunch comes, it's instinct & confidence. 

for a footballer, hit a shot first time on your weaker foot and the majority of the time you miss. drag it back to your stronger foot and statistically the result is probably the same, but a defenders block results in a groan from the crowd. A ball blasted into row Z on a weaker foot will more likely result in much more abuse. 

rudi must stay

The team has a goal video session every day. The greatest goals of the last 50 years are analysed. We are always searching for the perfect goal 

Edited by rudi must stay

Pasquale for King
On 30/11/2021 at 12:33, Chillidigits said:

I don’t think 3 hours a day maximum can be described as the vast majority of time training?

The answer is to be found on the training ground where they should be working on their crossing and one touch finishing, a problem still not sorted by this coaching staff 18 months into the job where it’s been evident it needs fixed. 
Training drills with mannequins doesn’t cut it, you have to do it with attack v defence drills, Sergio did this ten years ago but they don’t now 🤷🏾‍♂️🤔😱🤦🏽?!?!