Harry Stone - Partick game time

jbee647

I notice Jamie Sneddon has now broken a club record of seven consecutive clean sheets keeping goal for Partick Thistle, Unfortunately for Harry Stone after a couple of poor performances, looks like his chances of getting regular football are now unlikely 

We should seriously consider getting him back to Tynecastle in the transfer window with the view to getting game time elsewhere, I hope Harry hasn’t been hyped beyond his abilities.

jamboinglasgow

There was an article during the week in the evening news saying Hearts are considering recalling him and moving him elsewhere.

But it has been disappointing. Felt Stone was dropped to easily after one poor game.

Recall him and loan him elsewhere I’m sure a club will be looking to change their keeper come January going into the last few months of the season. 

Or bring him back and give him some time in the match day squad as the reserve keeper on the bench can’t be worse than Stewart considering everyone was moaning about him when he signed .

A_A wehatethehibs

Should not have sent him to a club that’s got their own good young goalkeeper. An oversight by the club to not see that Sneddon is a good keeper, obviously any club will favour their own player if they have a talented one. Poor loan decision.  I expect Stone will be recalled and sent elsewhere, or worst comes to worst, make him our #2 for the rest of the season and give him 2-3 games, move Ross stewart on as he’s never a hearts keeper. That was my preference for him anyway tbh, don’t really like full season loans for goalkeepers, for this reason. January loans or emergency loans can work if a clubs got a dud or an injured keeper. A keeper needs to go somewhere where he’s guaranteed a start or it’s just not worth it IMO. Not like outfield players who can fill in different positions 

35 minutes ago, jamboinglasgow said:

There was an article during the week in the evening news saying Hearts are considering recalling him and moving him elsewhere.

But it has been disappointing. Felt Stone was dropped to easily after one poor game.

I agree. While Sneddon has obviously come in and done a good job, Harry could’ve been given the next game to try and redeem himself. This sort of thing can have a damaging effect on a young player. Particularly a goalie.

10 minutes ago, iantjambo said:

I agree. While Sneddon has obviously come in and done a good job, Harry could’ve been given the next game to try and redeem himself. This sort of thing can have a damaging effect on a young player. Particularly a goalie.

Partick will do what they think is best for Partick. Seems they got it right. 

Best for all involved if he goes to another club in my opinion. Showed in his last loan spell that he’s a promising young keeper - no point in him sitting on the bench for Partick when he could be doing that for us. Needs to be playing. 

7 minutes ago, part_time_jambo said:

Should Hearts not be insisting in the contract that loanees should play if fit?

Would limit there options considerably I’d imagine

It's up to any player to justify their place in a team. Maybe Championship was a bit ambitious for keeper of his age and experience.

I expect we are already sniffing around League 1 teams to see if anyone needs a number 1 on loan.

1 hour ago, Stu_HMFC said:

Recall him and loan him elsewhere I’m sure a club will be looking to change their keeper come January going into the last few months of the season. 

Or bring him back and give him some time in the match day squad as the reserve keeper on the bench can’t be worse than Stewart considering everyone was moaning about him when he signed .

There maybe a team across the city that will require a new keeper in January.

29 minutes ago, sassenach said:

I wouldn't want Hearts to take a player on loan on this basis, so no.

Weren't there rumours that Demi Mitchell had to play for us when fit, despite his dip in form?

I don't really like the idea either. I understand it from the building experience point of view, but there should never be an entitlement to being picked. I think more young players can learn a lot through having to work their way into the team and knowing there are no guarantees. If you want to play every week, maybe the reserves are the best place to go?

Flip side is, that the parent club will likely have a development plan and instances like this throw that back by 6 months. 

Think best thing to do is recall Harry and get him out on loan. I think it would be worth approaching Raith and seeing if they'd be willing to loan/sell us Jamie Mac in exchange for Stone on Loan + another (Maybe Walker or Hendo?). We need a proper number 2 because Livi's 3rd choice shouldn't be our 2nd choice. Its a massive risk because if Gordon gets injured we will be in free fall so a solid if unspectacular number 2 is exactly what we need. 

Edited by OTT

SectionDJambo

Partick Thistle will, quite rightly, do what they think is right for them. Equally, Hearts have to do what we think is right for us and Harry.

It's not that long ago that we were complaining about the suspicion that we were having to play a certain Manchester United goalkeeper, when he wasn't exactly catching everything that came his way.

12 minutes ago, A.JAMBO said:

We should make Harry our number two and signs Snedds

Sometimes players work their way back up to a good level, e.g. John McLaughlin, it seems Sneddon is proving himself as a decent keeper and we have a vacancy for a number 2 at the moment. 

Niemi’s gloves
4 hours ago, iantjambo said:

Harry was doubly unlucky. Dropped for the game after the one against Arbroath where he blundered, then Partick’s next game after that was away to Stranraer in the Challenge cup. Ideal game to bring him back in? Yes, but Harry had been pulled into the Scotland U-21 squad for their game against Turkey (for which he sat on the bench). And since he hasn’t been getting game time for Partick, he hasn’t been in subsequent Scotland  U-21 squads. Sod’s Law working overtime, unfortunately.

1 hour ago, Cruyff said:

Sometimes players work their way back up to a good level, e.g. John McLaughlin, it seems Sneddon is proving himself as a decent keeper and we have a vacancy for a number 2 at the moment. 

Snedds is a good shout

5 hours ago, part_time_jambo said:

Should Hearts not be insisting in the contract that loanees should play if fit?

sure I read we had that when we got poppadom hands.  

10 hours ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Should not have sent him to a club that’s got their own good young goalkeeper. An oversight by the club to not see that Sneddon is a good keeper, obviously any club will favour their own player if they have a talented one. Poor loan decision.  I expect Stone will be recalled and sent elsewhere, or worst comes to worst, make him our #2 for the rest of the season and give him 2-3 games, move Ross stewart on as he’s never a hearts keeper. That was my preference for him anyway tbh, don’t really like full season loans for goalkeepers, for this reason. January loans or emergency loans can work if a clubs got a dud or an injured keeper. A keeper needs to go somewhere where he’s guaranteed a start or it’s just not worth it IMO. Not like outfield players who can fill in different positions 

Then we need to ask clubs what their approach is when players make mistakes and cost their side games. 

10 hours ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Unless you were in on the negotiation how can you say it’s a poor loan decision? Not worked out as expected, that’s something else altogether. Plenty loan opportunities out there they just may not work out 

Edited by Hesh

Niemi’s gloves
8 minutes ago, Hesh said:

Unless you were in on the negotiation how can you say it’s a poor loan decision? Not worked out as expected, that’s something else altogether. Plenty loan opportunities out there they just may not work out 

Agreed. From comments on Pie and Bovril, I’d say that Thistle fans didn’t really rate Jamie Sneddon at the start of the season and were happy to give Harry a chance. And the fact that the Thistle manager rotated them early on suggests that he was fairly open minded. It just happens to have worked out badly for Harry (as I mentioned earlier, perhaps partly due to be pulled into a Scotland U21 squad, ironically). 

Jambo in Bathgate
13 hours ago, jamboinglasgow said:

Unfortunately that game at Arbroath killed his loan spell. According to reports he was blamed for one or two of the goals that PT lost that day. 

On 27/11/2021 at 08:07, jbee647 said:

I notice Jamie Sneddon has now broken a club record of seven consecutive clean sheets keeping goal for Partick Thistle, Unfortunately for Harry Stone after a couple of poor performances, looks like his chances of getting regular football are now unlikely 

We should seriously consider getting him back to Tynecastle in the transfer window with the view to getting game time elsewhere, I hope Harry hasn’t been hyped beyond his abilities.

A player on loan should be getting a game,otherwise not much point in loaning him.

1 hour ago, OmiyaHearts said:

Whether he was harshly dropped or not, it's been proven as the right decision.

Harry is 19 Snedds is 24

Harry played in the same school side as my nephew Jack

Also a school i played for and went to for a year.

Edited by A.JAMBO

On 27/11/2021 at 10:44, Cruyff said:

This is the problem with loans and having no reserve league. Infact we should have a B team in the lowland league. 

Def, Scottish football and its pathways is a disgrace.  I know a bit of a symptom of cov but no reserve league is ridic.  So many young guys just not playing football, so many other pros coming back from injury or not being picked and how do they gain or maintain sharpness.  It's mental.

• 1 month later...
31 minutes ago, mrcrisps said:

Be a tough sell to Dunfy. They are toiling big time to stay up. Someone else's young keeper in goal for them to get experience is a big ask in that situation! Be a lot of pressure on Stone too.

The club have a duty of care to get the right loan, this would not be the right loan. No sure all the keepers on loan about the league but I think Edinburgh City have one from Livingston, Gretna had one from Motherwell in the cup game, Spartans had one from Utd and LTHV have another from Utd. Nothing in that group above tier 4 

• 4 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, Jambo 4 Ever said:

Was on the bench for Albion rovers the other day.

surely we could have found somewhere he could get 1st team football  

Sometimes the player has to rise to the challenge as well. How much lower in the pyramid should we have sent him?

33 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Sometimes the player has to rise to the challenge as well. How much lower in the pyramid should we have sent him?

Could have found another team looking for a keeper to play first team 

35 minutes ago, Jambo 4 Ever said:

Could have found another team looking for a keeper to play first team 

He’s clearly in the first team squad so needs to impress and wait his turn.  Not sure many teams would guarantee a young keeper like him first team games as part of a list an deal.