Wind - not another fart thread

Jeff

I'm on the east coast and this wind is just awful. I tried going to bed but was lying there expecting the windows to blow in or the roof to come off so got up again. I could feel the floor shaking with the bigger gusts. Can't remember it ever being this bad before. There must be some damage as we've got leaks coming though the living room ceiling and buckets and towels catching the water. Great fun! It's a bit calmer at the back of the house so it's a cuppa and a spoach through kickback for a while. 

4 hours ago, Boab said:

Hospitality tomorrow, mate !

Single Malts will be like a sleeping bag !

👍

Shitebags never had any malt in the Georgie Suite for the Dundee United game. 🤬

1 hour ago, Boab said:

No worries, mate.

Was going to say a surge can pop a lamp and if it's filament it will pop a MCB if shorted. Try taking your lamps out and if the MCB resets, put lamps in one at a time.

Worth a try.

👍

Sorry for the naive question, Boab, but would it not be enough to check that all the wall switches are off so that no electricity is getting through to the bulbs in the first place? We already tried that to no avail.

8 hours ago, redjambo said:

Sorry for the naive question, Boab, but would it not be enough to check that all the wall switches are off so that no electricity is getting through to the bulbs in the first place? We already tried that to no avail.

Not naive...sensible. 

Something more sinister if that's happening.

Do you have  outside lights with pir ?

9 hours ago, Tazio said:

That’s pretty unlikely in terms of a blown lamp taking out an MCB after it’s blown, but the logic of unplugging everything and plugging them back in one at a time until the trip goes then you’ve got your guilty party. 

I've seen it, Taz 

Was a strange one and unlikely but got to cover all the angles.

Edited by Boab

Nucky Thompson

I think we dodged a bullet in Edinburgh west. I never even heard the wind and my panel fence wasn't acting like a sail as normal

39 minutes ago, Boab said:

Not naive...sensible. 

Something more sinister if that's happening.

Do you have  outside lights with pir ?

Yes, we do, two of them. We thought about that possibility as well. I switched them both off at the wall, no change.

My Mum is with British Gas Home Care and pays a lot of money for it. She called them up and explained the situation and the effect that it's having on my Dad. No dice - they can't get an engineer out for 5 days. She's now considering the wisdom of continuing to pay for a service that's not up to scratch when we really need it.

Edited by redjambo

SectionDJambo

In Newtongrange.

Bins going walkabout all night. Fence broken, felt ripped off the hut roof, neighbours bins toppling with the rubbish, that was inside, now all over the place. No obvious damage to the houses though.

Certainly the worst wind here since the Boxing Day gale about 25 years ago.

Was pretty horrific in Fife last night, managed to escape with no damage thankfully. Winds tend to blow from the west which rarely affects my property but it was a whole new ball game coming from the north, my fence was hanging by a thread at times.

Somehow the trampoline is still here :lol:

47 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Was pretty horrific in Fife last night, managed to escape with no damage thankfully. Winds tend to blow from the west which rarely affects my property but it was a whole new ball game coming from the north, my fence was hanging by a thread at times.

Somehow the trampoline is still here :lol:

:D "Trampoline!"

Quite a few trees down here in Innerleithen also fences, felt off shed roofs, slates etc, no damage to anything of mine.

At least we didn't get any snow apart from a wee dusting on the hills, bloody freezing though.

A few branches down.

Plenty of kid's tents and trampolines have moved house overnight.

A few elderly neighbours had window fittings bent and the windows forced ajar. That's what you get for still having single glazing, I suppose.

Picked my wheelie bin back up. I survived.

The Real Maroonblood
1 hour ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Quite a few trees down here in Innerleithen also fences, felt off shed roofs, slates etc, no damage to anything of mine.

At least we didn't get any snow apart from a wee dusting on the hills, bloody freezing though.

It’ll soon be time to put the central heating on.

20 hours ago, Salad Fingers said:

Barely enough to blow a mouses top hat off over here on the West Coast. 

How many wheely-bins came flying into your living room after 9pm?

Nucky Thompson

Berwick holiday park has had a lot of damage. Caravans broken up like firewood.

One caravan blew of the cliff edge.

No people were hurt thankfully.

I've got one at Haggerston and there's been a lot of damage done there too.

All the phone lines and electricity are down and they are waiting until it's safe before they can survey the damage.

Hopefully I don't get the dreaded phone call

The Mighty Thor

Took the dog for a walk through John Muir Country Park. 

The pine forests have been decimated. Really sad to see it ☹️

I didn't have my phone but found this image on twitter. It's incredible. 

20211128_213522.jpg

2 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

Took the dog for a walk through John Muir Country Park. 

The pine forests have been decimated. Really sad to see it ☹️

I didn't have my phone but found this image on twitter. It's incredible. 

20211128_213522.jpg

https://news.sky.com/video/video-trees-are-brought-down-by-storm-arwen-in-scotland-12480146

there is some video footage of it