Wind - not another fart thread

Jeff

Haven't seen it so strong in a long time in Portmahomack. Tiles and windows rattling. Fear for the roof. High tide just past and are still here but huge breakers rolling in. If I wasn't so concerned about the house, it would be spectacular.

Салатные палочки

Barely enough to blow a mouses top hat off over here on the West Coast. 

Malinga the Swinga

Stay next to Pentland Hills. Yep, it's a bit blustery, but nothing like the forecast. Seen more wind after a Saturday night Madras.

Maroon Sailor

All East Coast northbound trains going no further than Newcastle. A1 shut north of Newcastle as well apparently 

Just a standard winter gale up here in Lewis. Winds only reaching between 60 and 70 mph. If it wasn't for the snow the wife would have had washing on the line today.

4 minutes ago, superjack said:

Just a standard winter gale up here in Lewis. Winds only reaching between 60 and 70 mph. If it wasn't for the snow the wife would have had washing on the line today.

surely the snow would add a wintery freshness to the clothes

3 minutes ago, frankblack said:

Supposedly its going to be over by midday.  However, it will be absolutely Baltic.

Temp around 2 or 3 + but with wind chill will feel about -5 or -6 !

🥶

Minging day here in Inverness but not overly windy tbh. 

bairn has and outdoor birthday party tomorrow and I can’t believe it’s not been cancelled . Outdoor kids party in November, wtf. 🤣

7 minutes ago, Boab said:

Temp around 2 or 3 + but with wind chill will feel about -5 or -6 !

🥶

For those attending, my tip would be to imbibe the usual precautionary 6 pints of ice-cold beer, which will ensure that they are well protected against the elements.  :icon14: 🍻

It's certainly a bit "breezy" down here in the eastern Borders.

Edited by Auld Reekin'

Its currently snowing here.

No power at present.

Ive never heard anything like it.

Know how you watch this world om bbc and they go to the Arctic and you hear the wind. Thats how bad it currently is. 

Blew over the shed onto the car. My daughters swing is sitting on the east coast main line.

When i say its blowing i mean sustained winds of 84 mph. 

When i had electricity I couldn't hear the TV for the wind. 

This is scary

Carl Fredrickson

The wind is blowing a gale here in Gorebridge. Hoping I might get a trampoline in my garden in the morning as my kids would love it. 

You know you're getting old when you start paying close attention to and analysing the various whistling and howling of the wind and fearing the worst for the structural future of your property.  :(

joondalupjambo

Power in Lundin Links just back on after about 45 minutes outage.  It is blowing a hoolly, not been as bad since Beast from the East.  Just sent the wife out to make sure our bins are still standing, the chooks are safe and our various pots and garden benches are all still in one piece.  She has thankfully come back safe and sound.  Little does she know I will be sending out again in a couple of hours to carry out more safety checks😀😀

#prayfortheeastneuk

Edited by joondalupjambo

13 minutes ago, Barack said:

Quite right. "Swimming pool? That's the North Sea over there! Get in!"

Hope there's no kite flying, or bouncy castle's. Some kids will be picked up by their parents later on, in Denmark.

🤣🤣🤣

Fultons Right Leg
13 minutes ago, Restonbabe said:

Its currently snowing here.

No power at present.

Ive never heard anything like it.

Know how you watch this world om bbc and they go to the Arctic and you hear the wind. Thats how bad it currently is. 

Blew over the shed onto the car. My daughters swing is sitting on the east coast main line.

When i say its blowing i mean sustained winds of 84 mph. 

When i had electricity I couldn't hear the TV for the wind. 

This is scary

Where are you? Sounds mental!

12 minutes ago, Barack said:

Bet the Party Pack's are cool.

Used to maybe get a Sherbet Dib-Dab in mine, if you were really lucky.

This lot will get a whistle, goose fat, some hand warming gel & a shiny space blanket.

That'll look dead cool in the group photos.👍🏻

Shiny space blankets would be popular I think . 😂

32 minutes ago, Fultons Right Leg said:

Where are you? Sounds mental!

Reston, just off a1 near Eyemouth. 

Some of my roof tiles are gone!!!!

My garden fence is in the field with the sheep. 

This is worse than anything I've ever been through. Eyemouth harbour road is flooded with a storm surge. 

Cannot see the trains on tomorrow to Edinburgh from Newcastle, Dunbar, n berwick.

A1 is closed in both directions. 

The noise of that wind. 

Alarms going off left right and centre. 

Not had power now for 2 hours.

Poor sheep, coos and horses in the field. 

1 hour ago, Auld Reekin' said:

For those attending, my tip would be to imbibe the usual precautionary 6 pints of ice-cold beer, which will ensure that they are well protected against the elements.  :icon14: 🍻

It's certainly a bit "breezy" down here in the eastern Borders.

Hospitality tomorrow, mate !

Single Malts will be like a sleeping bag !

👍

Салатные палочки

Picked up a bit through here. Not enough to blow a wheelie bin over yet. 

Some fun in the skies tonight for those who have FR24. Wouldn't like to be on any of them though. Belfast-Glasgow flight circled for ages, attempted to landings and has now decided to go back to Belfast. 

7 minutes ago, Salad Fingers said:

Picked up a bit through here. Not enough to blow a wheelie bin over yet. 

Some fun in the skies tonight for those who have FR24. Wouldn't like to be on any of them though. Belfast-Glasgow flight circled for ages, attempted to landings and has now decided to go back to Belfast. 

Just had a look at that. Flight Radar ?

Loganair has just gave up landing as well. Edinburgh not faring any better. 

Not a great fan of flying, glad I'm in the hoose !

Салатные палочки
5 minutes ago, Boab said:

Just had a look at that. Flight Radar ?

Loganair has just gave up landing as well. Edinburgh not faring any better. 

Not a great fan of flying, glad I'm in the hoose !

Aye flight radar. Bristol flight looks to have given up on Edinburgh and might be heading to Prestwick. 

15 minutes ago, Salad Fingers said:

Aye flight radar. Bristol flight looks to have given up on Edinburgh and might be heading to Prestwick. 

It just tried to land at Glasgow but didn't and is going around.

The Real Maroonblood
2 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

It just tried to land at Glasgow but didn't and is going around.

There must be a point when it must land regardless.

Салатные палочки
8 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

There must be a point when it must land regardless.

The easyjet from Bristol has one last attempt at Glasgow. If they can't make it they're going to Belfast on minimum fuel. 

ATC earning their money tonight. 

Edit. Landed at Glasgow. 

Edited by Salad Fingers

The Real Maroonblood
5 minutes ago, Salad Fingers said:

The easyjet from Bristol has one last attempt at Glasgow. If they can't make it they're going to Belfast on minimum fuel. 

ATC earning their money tonight. 

Edit. Landed at Glasgow. 

Good to hear.

Just lost all our downstairs lights in a surge of electricity caused no doubt by the wind and the breaker won't reset. My Dad, who suffers from dementia, is very confused by the temporary lamps we've put in place and acting up, and our electrician can't get to us for a few days. Oh, and I was covid/flu jabbed today and waiting now to see if I'll have any reaction. Lying on my bed now listening to the storm outside and random things whacking against the windows. Life is never dull. :)

The Real Maroonblood
7 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Just lost all our downstairs lights in a surge of electricity caused no doubt by the wind and the breaker won't reset. My Dad, who suffers from dementia, is very confused by the temporary lamps we've put in place and acting up, and our electrician can't get to us for a few days. Oh, and I was covid/flu jabbed today and waiting now to see if I'll have any reaction. Lying on my bed now listening to the storm outside and random things whacking against the windows. Life is never dull. :)

Good luck.

Just now, The Real Maroonblood said:

Good luck.

Cheers, TRM. 👍 Hopefully my Dad will get used to the "new normal" until we can get the lights sorted out.

38 minutes ago, Der Kaiser said:

Placed a stone up against my back gate. Hopefully it will stop it getting blasted open by Arwen this evening.....

:oohmatron:

1 hour ago, redjambo said:

Everything else working, red ?

Power etc ?

8 minutes ago, Boab said:

Everything else working, red ?

Power etc ?

Yes, so far, thanks Boab, although we're getting occasional glitches in the power (TV, lamps etc.). We're quite fortunate that it's a lighting circuit that has gone and not a power circuit, and only the downstairs lights. But these things always happen at weekends, when it's difficult to arrange someone to come and sort the issue. :)

25 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Yes, so far, thanks Boab, although we're getting occasional glitches in the power (TV, lamps etc.). We're quite fortunate that it's a lighting circuit that has gone and not a power circuit, and only the downstairs lights. But these things always happen at weekends, when it's difficult to arrange someone to come and sort the issue. :)

No worries, mate.

Was going to say a surge can pop a lamp and if it's filament it will pop a MCB if shorted. Try taking your lamps out and if the MCB resets, put lamps in one at a time.

Worth a try.

👍

14 minutes ago, Boab said:

No worries, mate.

Was going to say a surge can pop a lamp and if it's filament it will pop a MCB if shorted. Try taking your lamps out and if the MCB resets, put lamps in one at a time.

Worth a try.

👍

That’s pretty unlikely in terms of a blown lamp taking out an MCB after it’s blown, but the logic of unplugging everything and plugging them back in one at a time until the trip goes then you’ve got your guilty party.