Best kids name

rudi must stay

William H. Bonney
3 minutes ago, Alex Kintner said:

I love the name Belle but it didn’t go with my surname so ended up choosing something else.

Is your surname end? 

3 hours ago, Alex Kintner said:

I love the name Belle but it didn’t go with my surname so ended up choosing something else.

Trying to fathom out his surname is more interesting🥺

Ringer

Bell

1 hour ago, GinRummy said:

John is the best name. John is classic yet modern as well. Age old and classy. Used by royalty and rock star alike. 

Youngest is Joe 

A cool name 

Joe Cool you could say….

I found naming my kids quite difficult.

Didn't want anything with religious links and that on its own cuts a load out. Basically, if there was someone called it in the bible I wasn't giving it to anyone. Same for any religious book. 

Then you've got all the names that are tarnished because you relate them to some clowns that you've known in your life. Perfectly good names ruined.

Then you get the supposed top names lists. You want to avoid them unless you're happy with having loads of other kids in the same age group having the same name as them. 

Edit: my boys ended up being called Cameron and Hamish. Some of you might like those names and some of you will think they're shite. They needed to have Scottish names though since they're basically English.

Edited by IronJambo

8 minutes ago, PTBCAL said:

Youngest is Joe 

A cool name 

Joe Cool you could say….

My favourite two teachers at high school were both called Joe. Considered a wee bit old fashioned then but a good name and good it’s made a comeback. 

Never Roger.

It could be misconstrued as ‘Jolly Roger’ which is, of course, a pirates flag.

Who would wish to be a Roger, and furthermore, who would wish to be a pirate?  🤷🏿‍♂️

14 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Never Roger.

Who would wish to be a Roger, and furthermore, who would wish to be a pirate?  🤷🏿‍♂️

You could never trust him round the wife either. 

5 minutes ago, Des Lynam said:

You could never trust him round the wife either. 

I wouldn’t trust a ‘Pirate’ anywhere, Des.  👍

1 minute ago, Des Lynam said:

Certainly not on the seas. 

And, he can keep his feckin hands off my Pot Noodles.

He’s a ‘greedy’ so and so.

32 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Never Roger.

You've got to love and angry pirate though, surely?

Just now, IronJambo said:

You've got to love and angry pirate though, surely?

There is not one ounce of me loves a pirate, Iron.

2 minutes ago, Morgan said:

There is not one ounce of me loves a pirate, Iron.

Arrrrrrr! Angry pirates are special though

7 hours ago, Morgan said:

Never Roger.

Makes playing with walkie-talkies tricky too.

Names that you can do something with - like Alexander or Catherine.  You can be Alec, Alex, Eck, Sandy or Kate, Katie, Kat etc when you’re younger then go back to your full name when you’re a CEO.

(I notice ‘names’ autocorrects to James, so maybe that says something….)

Edited by FWJ

15 hours ago, Morgan said:

Drew, John or Rudi.

The correct answer.  Maybe Jim, Henry, Antti or Craig too.

Edited by Marvin

rudi must stay
11 hours ago, Greedy Jambo said:

Sounds too much like jaffa cakes. 

You pregnant?

Just been thinking about names today, no 

rudi must stay
11 hours ago, Morgan said:

Never Roger.

In my past life I was a pirate 

Carl Fredrickson

I enjoyed the experience of choosing kids names. As has been said, automatically ruled out many due to people I know. 

I have one boy and one girl. My boy has quite a rare name which I will not share on here due to folk being able to identify me through it (It is not Russell for any Pixar fans). My daughter is Joy and never has a name been more appropriate for a young lass. I thought Joy would be common but I have never seen it on any gifts in shops. Having said that I only saw my sons name on a mug in the Lego shop at Downtown Disney 8 years ago. 

My son has a name which is a bit different, he's only 7 months but I know of someone in the village that has just called their son the same name

:seething:

6 hours ago, jonesy said:

There's a trade off between choosing a unique/special name for your kid versus something that'll get them bullied.

I think nowadays, the “bullied” ones would be the children with traditional names. 

Think name calling / bullying of that type would occur regardless of what they’re called 

19 hours ago, Morgan said:

Never Roger.

he could also never work as a cabin boy on the ships

2 hours ago, I P Knightley said:

Not in the video shop either. 

Do you like videos, IP?

:biggrin2: 

1 hour ago, milky_26 said:

he could also never work as a cabin boy on the ships

I think you typed ‘work’ by mistake.

2 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Is that as hot as a vindiloo?

Are you trying to curry favour with that remark?  😳

The Real Maroonblood
2 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Do you like videos, IP?

:biggrin2: 

I think you typed ‘work’ by mistake.

Are you trying to curry favour with that remark?  😳

:laugh2:

How many folk check the mugs, door names etc that have names on to see if theirs or the kids names are there. I do it every time? Bit sad really

Captain Sausage

Absolute minefield. 

Trying to find something not too popular (where there’ll be a couple in their school year - Oliver, Isla, etc) versus something so unique that no one can pronounce it or that other kids will make fun of them for. 

The Real Maroonblood
5 minutes ago, Captain Sausage said:

Absolute minefield. 

Trying to find something not too popular (where there’ll be a couple in their school year - Oliver, Isla, etc) versus something so unique that no one can pronounce it or that other kids will make fun of them for. 

Imagine a boy at school and their last name was Bates.

Byyy The Light

Tricky business. As others have said, don’t want anything too out there but don’t want 5 or 6 in the same class with same name.

Hard to find something that either you’ve known someone who was a twat with the name or someone (probably said twat) has called their dog or cat

Edited by Byyy The Light

luckyBatistuta
On 27/11/2021 at 10:14, Carl Fredrickson said:

I enjoyed the experience of choosing kids names. As has been said, automatically ruled out many due to people I know. 

I have one boy and one girl. My boy has quite a rare name which I will not share on here due to folk being able to identify me through it (It is not Russell for any Pixar fans). My daughter is Joy and never has a name been more appropriate for a young lass. I thought Joy would be common but I have never seen it on any gifts in shops. Having said that I only saw my sons name on a mug in the Lego shop at Downtown Disney 8 years ago

Nothing really to do with names, but there is a place in one of the malls in Orlando where they sell Crystal 3D Photo Cubes. We got our sons in one about 10 years ago. About 3 years ago whilst walking through the same mall we noticed that they have our boys as part of their display. I asked the guy how much for the cube and he started his sales pitch. I told him I only wanted the one on display, he looked at me as if I was a lunatic🤣

Back on topic. There is more to picking a child’s name than just whatever you like in my opinion. You don’t want to give them a name that will get your child teased or bullied. Kids are quite imaginative when thinking up nicknames, an example I’ve come across….

a girl called Tianna was nicknamed…Biscuit🤣

I bumped in to a lad with the name who we had considered for my first son, so I asked him if folks had given him a nickname or such. The only thing he said he’d been called was Tails, so I could live with that. 

Not really come across many boys who have either of my kids names, so happy with that

I’ve got an unusual first name and was never bullied or picked on for it. You do however have a lifetime of people asking how to spell it or asking what it’s short for. It’s not a bizarre name just one that isn’t very common in this country as a first name. 
Sadly we seem to be going down the American path of names spelt phonetically or even worse totally invented words by parents who think they’re being cool and unique. It sounds a bit Daily Mail but I agree with the countries that have a list of permitted names where you have to apply and get approval for anything weird. You’re always going to get some arse wanting to call their kid after a band or worse.