Sting

rudi must stay

rudi must stay
20 hours ago, JamesM48 said:

Im one is his lookalikes a bit apparently...

Do you behave like his as well. Have you sent an SOS to the world 

1 hour ago, rudi must stay said:

Do you behave like his as well. Have you sent an SOS to the world 

@JamesM48 is more prone to keeping his message in a bottle.

3 minutes ago, Morgan said:

@JamesM48 is more prone to keeping his message in a bottle.

I’m more like “ an Englishman in New York” brilliant song 🎵 

Just now, JamesM48 said:

Ah, but do you put out the red light?

:oohmatron:

Loved the unique white reggae sound of the first 2-3 albums. Classic musical highlight of the age.

Saw him live at SECC as a solo act and he was awful. No engagement or attempt to entertain outwith playing 15 numbers the same as they sounded on CD and charging 4 times as much to listen to it.

Hes one of these guys who thinks he has something important to say outwith music and I can’t stand that type of artist. Annie Lennox is another one. Weller another. Just play your music, do you thing and feck off with the riches you get for doing it, instead of fecking lecturing us mortals to pay up for the less well off in society when your deciding which of your 4 houses your going to live in this week.

1 hour ago, JamesM48 said:

I had you down as a ‘Don’t stand so close to me’ kinda guy

7 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

I had you down as a ‘Don’t stand so close to me’ kinda guy

Its probably the other about for me :) 

1 hour ago, JimmyCant said:

Loved the unique white reggae sound of the first 2-3 albums. Classic musical highlight of the age.

Saw him live at SECC as a solo act and he was awful. No engagement or attempt to entertain outwith playing 15 numbers the same as they sounded on CD and charging 4 times as much to listen to it.

Hes one of these guys who thinks he has something important to say outwith music and I can’t stand that type of artist. Annie Lennox is another one. Weller another. Just play your music, do you thing and feck off with the riches you get for doing it, instead of fecking lecturing us mortals to pay up for the less well off in society when your deciding which of your 4 houses your going to live in this week.

Is just playing his music, doing his thing, and fecking-off with the riches he got from doing it not exactly what you were complaining about him doing in your second paragraph?  :ermm: :huh:

That aside, I've never had any time for the guy, hated The Police, and have always thought he was an arse. However, I watched a BBC music documentary on iPlayer last night about the late Alan Hull - the main songwriter and singer in Lindisfarne - and Sting was OK on that. He was fulsome in his praise for Hull's songwriting, so at least he can recognise a good song when written and performed by someone else.  :icon14:

1 minute ago, Auld Reekin' said:

Is just playing his music, doing his thing, and fecking-off with the riches he got from doing it not exactly what you were complaining about him doing in your second paragraph?  :ermm: :huh:

That aside, I've never had any time for the guy, hated The Police, and have always thought he was an arse. However, I watched a BBC music documentary on iPlayer last night about the late Alan Hull - the main songwriter and singer in Lindisfarne - and Sting was OK on that. He was fulsome in his praise for Hull's songwriting, so at least he can recognise a good song when written and performed by someone else.  :icon14:

Don’t mind him as a musician

Didnt rate him as an entertainer (although maybe his serious high brow music doesn’t transfer very well to a live show)

Thats all I want from a musician. I don’t even mind him talking about himself, if it’s mildly interesting. What I can’t stand is pontificating and soap boxing about the issues of the day when he’s in the priveliged 5% of the population. 

Like Dennis Waterman has a phenomenal gift for not going proper bald  after all those years  of looking  a cert

Was decent in Brimstone and Treacle ,well maybe shite but as a nipper I'm sure i anticipated female  nudity in the drama

Bu was prepared to go with the flow 

Sad thing is i cant remember if there was 

On 26/11/2021 at 20:20, JWL said:

Weller hated him but not entirely sure why. Agree about their first couple of albums. After that though seriously downhill with De Do Do Do and Every Little Thing; can't argue with Every Breath You Take though, that's a tune.

Every Little Thing is probably his best bit of writing, an amazing track imo.

On 28/11/2021 at 17:58, 80bob said:

Couldn’t even have a wank or a shag like normal folks…had to make it all tantric and la de da

Turned out that was a piss-take that the press swallowed. 😄

rudi must stay
21 hours ago, JimmyCant said:

Didnt rate him as an entertainer (although maybe his serious high brow music doesn’t transfer very well to a live show)

Thats all I want from a musician. I don’t even mind him talking about himself, if it’s mildly interesting. What I can’t stand is pontificating and soap boxing about the issues of the day when he’s in the priveliged 5% of the population. 

What a great post. Being serious all the time isn't really entertaining 

22 hours ago, Drew Wallace said:

Like Dennis Waterman has a phenomenal gift for not going proper bald  after all those years  of looking  a cert

Was decent in Brimstone and Treacle ,well maybe shite but as a nipper I'm sure i anticipated female  nudity in the drama

Bu was prepared to go with the flow 

Sad thing is i cant remember if there was 

:icon14:  Dennis Potter usually came up with the goods in that respect.  :greggy:

I P Knightley
On 29/11/2021 at 18:31, JimmyCant said:

I reckon you could take that all the way down to 0.005% in terms of privilege. 

Rather bizarrely, Sting was at my local pharmacy today, the one where I'm going for my booster jag on Friday. No idea what the occasion was but a pal got in a photo with him. In these days of social distancing, you'd expect Sting to be telling folk not to stand so close to him but, in the photo, they're shoulder to shoulder. 

On 26/11/2021 at 13:58, Craig_ said:

First two or three Police albums were decent, not a fan of anything after that.

I liked the police, message in a bottle, top track.