Favourite starter

rudi must stay

The White Cockade

Yeah I like prawn cocktail but very partial to haggis parcel and whisky sauce and also black pudding with cider and apple 

always have chicken satay starter at Thai restaurants

chicken and sweetcorn soup from Chinese

I like a beef carpaccio, or scallop and black pudding starter if they're on the menu. Thinking about it, I'd go for the scallop starter if I had to choose between the two.

William H. Bonney

Other than when I’m in a restaurant, I never have a starter. So it’s a rare treat I guess. 
So probably something like crispy Brie bites or some nice pate. 

Салатные палочки

A nice bruschetta or goats cheese with a small salad and caramelised onion. 

Fish, or fish and shellfish, soup. The last time we were in Portugal, it was on every restaurant menu so we ate in every restaurant we went to! Even in the odd crappy place, the fish soup was good.

It isn't a starter when I make it though: I make it as a very substantial main-course and include rice and sliced potato to make it even more satisfying. 

:sweeet:

All roads lead to Gorgie

I usually go for something like a Cullen Skink, or Clam Chowder soup with crispy bread. 

Spare Ribs I have been known to go for too. 

luckyBatistuta
6 hours ago, Salad Fingers said:

A nice bruschetta or goats cheese with a small salad and caramelised onion. 

Love Bruschetta, but it can be a hit or a miss. Some restaurants have no idea what they are doing with it.

Do love a black pudding and apple starter too

Prawn Pil Pil. 

I love a Prawn Cocktail. 

If I'm having Chinese I always hank myself during the day and get bbq spare ribs. 

The last starter I had was in Herringbone. Breads and Olives. Simple but class. 

highlandjambo3
18 hours ago, Auld Reekin' said:

Fish, or fish and shellfish, soup. The last time we were in Portugal, it was on every restaurant menu so we ate in every restaurant we went to! Even in the odd crappy place, the fish soup was good.

It isn't a starter when I make it though: I make it as a very substantial main-course and include rice and sliced potato to make it even more satisfying. 

:sweeet:

In my experience these places are the best places to eat.  

My mrs and I always look to where the locals are eating and that’s usually the best experience.  We avoid the big 4-5 star tourist traps who sell the same stuff.  Last trip to India, we used to turn up to a old battered wooden shack that only opened up early evening, all veggie stuff…..big queue of locals as well……very cheap, less than a quid for loads of grub 👍

1 hour ago, highlandjambo3 said:

In my experience these places are the best places to eat.  

My mrs and I always look to where the locals are eating and that’s usually the best experience.  We avoid the big 4-5 star tourist traps who sell the same stuff.  Last trip to India, we used to turn up to a old battered wooden shack that only opened up early evening, all veggie stuff…..big queue of locals as well……very cheap, less than a quid for loads of grub 👍

Yep - in general - I'm sure you're right. Even in Europe, your best bet is to take a look at where the locals eat and go there too. However, by "crappy places", I was meaning the places where everything else we had was shite* and the only nice thing was the fish soup!

(*Take a bow, Restaurante Mistral in Portimão; easily the worst restaurant in Portugal we've ever eaten in! :thumbsup: )

Always partial to a fish starter, if we're not doing a fish course.

Prawn cocktail, smoked salmon, rollmop herring, smoked peppered mackerel, all barry.

All served with buttered brown bread, the maltier the bread the better, along with salad and some fresh lemon for squeezing.

:greggy:

Not a starter or a dessert man, I'd rather just get one big turbo main. 

Obviously if i'm going to be waiting about, i'll have some salad, olives etc. 

Edited by Greedy Jambo