BBC Scotland

Francis Albert

Francis Albert

The BBC seems to be rotating Huw and the UK national news around the UK this week. For Northern Ireland it was of course from Belfast. I am not sure if they have done Wales yet but no doubt it will be from their Cardiff studio.

Of course for Scotland it is from Glasgow. 

1 hour ago, Francis Albert said:

The BBC seems to be rotating Huw and the UK national news around the UK this week. For Northern Ireland it was of course from Belfast. I am not sure if they have done Wales yet but no doubt it will be from their Cardiff studio.

Of course for Scotland it is from Glasgow. 

Wouldn't worry about it. It's annoying, yes, but I take comfort in the fact that Glasgow in general and its citizens and the weegie media, absolutely hate the fact that Edinburgh is the capital city. It's one of the reasons why I've been getting more into rugby these past few years. The focus of attention is on Scotland's finest city and the best sporting venue in the country. The BBC in Scotland will always be Glasgow based and it can stay that way as far as I am concerned but there are many things they hate about the fact that Edinburgh is the capital and there's feck all they can do about it.

Салатные палочки
25 minutes ago, JWL said:

Wouldn't worry about it. It's annoying, yes, but I take comfort in the fact that Glasgow in general and its citizens and the weegie media, absolutely hate the fact that Edinburgh is the capital city. It's one of the reasons why I've been getting more into rugby these past few years. The focus of attention is on Scotland's finest city and the best sporting venue in the country. The BBC in Scotland will always be Glasgow based and it can stay that way as far as I am concerned but there are many things they hate about the fact that Edinburgh is the capital and there's feck all they can do about it.

Hate to burst your bubble but I've not met one Glaswegian or West Coast citizen in my life that hates the fact Edinburgh is the capital. 

Just now, Salad Fingers said:

Hate to burst your bubble but I've not met one Glaswegian or West Coast citizen in my life that hates the fact Edinburgh is the capital. 

You haven't burst my bubble at all. I've worked beside scores of guys from Glasgow and the surrounding areas and the vast majority were of the belief that Glasgow should be the capital. They were visibly seething that their vast shithole of a city wasn't in fact the capital.

Салатные палочки
4 minutes ago, JWL said:

You haven't burst my bubble at all. I've worked beside scores of guys from Glasgow and the surrounding areas and the vast majority were of the belief that Glasgow should be the capital. They were visibly seething that their vast shithole of a city wasn't in fact the capital.

A bit dramatic is it not? :laugh2:. The only people that seem to get worked up about it all are folk from Edinburgh and old Glaswegian people who were brought up with a daft rivalry that was probably stoked by acts like Jimmy Logan and Stanley Baxter. 

Honestly, I doubt anyone 40 and under really gives a shite. In fact the majority of them, like myself, actually like Edinburgh and enjoy spending time there. 

Just now, Salad Fingers said:

A bit dramatic is it not? :laugh2:. The only people that seem to get worked up about it all are folk from Edinburgh and old Glaswegian people who were brought up with a daft rivalry that was probably stoked by acts like Jimmy Logan and Stanley Baxter. 

Honestly, I doubt anyone 40 and under really gives a shite. In fact the majority of them, like myself, actually like Edinburgh and enjoy spending time there. 

Possibly, and I'm going back over 20 years ago and it was working with guys in and around petro-chem and oil refinery sites all over Scotland but the sense of self entitlement you got from them was huge and I always took pleasure in the fact that firstly, I was a Hearts fan and secondly, that I was from the capital city and the most beautiful city in Scotland. I'll grant you that things have maybe changed over the years but at the time, they really didn't like it at all.

Салатные палочки
5 minutes ago, JWL said:

Possibly, and I'm going back over 20 years ago and it was working with guys in and around petro-chem and oil refinery sites all over Scotland but the sense of self entitlement you got from them was huge and I always took pleasure in the fact that firstly, I was a Hearts fan and secondly, that I was from the capital city and the most beautiful city in Scotland. I'll grant you that things have maybe changed over the years but at the time, they really didn't like it at all.

Definitely a thing amongst the older generation. I don't think any of my grandparents ever set foot in Edinburgh. Luckily my parents took us through to the capital for days/weekends when we were young and even though it was only me and my dad that went to games, my mum would sometimes join us and we would make a weekend of it. 

In fact, my parents still go to Edinburgh every year for their anniversary and eat at the same restaurant, The Khukuri. 

Francis Albert
17 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Meanwhile if the BBC had build a temporary studio in Edinburgh they would have been lambasted for wasting licence payers money. 

I think the BBC used to have a studio in Edinburgh before there was a Scottish Parliament. Maybe they still do but it isn't flash enough for Huw and Laura.

2 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

I think the BBC used to have a studio in Edinburgh before there was a Scottish Parliament. Maybe they still do but it isn't flash enough for Huw and Laura.

There was one on Queen Street that was closed a few years ago. 

I’m not from either and in my experience the notion that Glaswegians are friendlier is bo**ocks.

They strike me as being the Yorkshire (and maybe the Texas) of Scotland - everything is best there.  Bit tiresome.

SectionDJambo
9 hours ago, Tazio said:

There was one on Queen Street that was closed a few years ago. 

Yes.

The one where the ever cheery Alistair Dewar used to rush to on a Saturday late afternoon to tell us all how wonderful the match at Tynecastle or Easter Road had been.

11 hours ago, Tazio said:

Meanwhile if the BBC had build a temporary studio in Edinburgh they would have been lambasted for wasting licence payers money. 

The BBC were going to build their Scottish HQ where the Omni Centre now is. I don't know their reason for changing their minds at the end of the 1970s and building on the southside of the River Clyde in Glasgow.

The Real Maroonblood
12 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

What was Billy Connolly's Weegie take on Edinburgh?

There's the castle 

Then back on the train

Great weegie patter.

BBC Scotland still have an Edinburgh presence at Holyrood. But why would they have the Ten presented from there when their Scottish base is in Glasgow?

Glasgow is Scotland's media hub. It's healthy that not everything is concentrated in Edinburgh.

Horatio Caine
3 hours ago, SectionDJambo said:

Yes.

The one where the ever cheery Alistair Dewar used to rush to on a Saturday late afternoon to tell us all how wonderful the match at Tynecastle or Easter Road had been.

That brings back memories!

"Well Alistair, a 4-4 draw - sounds like a great match"

"No, not really... moan moan moan, crap defending moan moan.."

9 hours ago, Horatio Caine said:

That brings back memories!

"Well Alistair, a 4-4 draw - sounds like a great match"

"No, not really... moan moan moan, crap defending moan moan.."

His "moan, moan, moan"  tended to be reserved for Hearts, fuelled by his thinly disguised leanings towards the wee team.

Салатные палочки
15 hours ago, jonnothejambo said:

I watch the BBC to look at Anne Lundon. 

I always had you down as a man of great taste Jonno. Anne is...

:sweeet: