Eggs

Tazio

7 hours ago, Salad Fingers said:

How do folk make their scrambled eggs? 

I crack 2-3 into a bowl, add cracked sea salt and pepper and a splash of milk then melt butter in a pot and in it goes. I know some people add cream and some nothing at all. 

Put it on two heavily buttered crispy rolls and jobs a good'n. I'm actually up with the wee one and now I'm in the mood for some on buttery toast 😋 

When I was a kid, an American friend of ours made scrambled eggs for us with a knob of cream cheese chucked in the pan with the beaten eggs and swirled around until melted. Was lovely, so that's how I always make my scrambled eggs now, good quality golden yoked eggs and no milk in them when beaten.

I find the key thing for good scrambled eggs is to take then off the heat when they're still slightly runny though, as they will keep cooking for a few seconds until you dish up, and will be like rubber if left too long in the pan. 

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Morgan

• Tazio

• Konrad von Carstein

• milky_26

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Love eggs. The thought of the life endured by battery hens disturbs me though. So when that thought comes up I try to push it back into the darkness as quickly as possible.

At walmart you can buy a box of 60 eggs for a little over $7. About a fiver at current exchange rates. 

2 raw in a glass of tomato juice with a splash of Worcester sauce.

Not my favourite recipe for eggs but a good laugh watching other people wretch.

8 hours ago, Salad Fingers said:

I crack 2-3 into a bowl, add cracked sea salt and pepper and a splash of milk then melt butter in a pot and in it goes. I know some people add cream and some nothing at all. 

Put it on two heavily buttered crispy rolls and jobs a good'n. I'm actually up with the wee one and now I'm in the mood for some on buttery toast 😋 

Got be done slowly over a Low heat. Take the eggs off heat then back on. Always add salt last as this helps to keep the colour and moisture in the scrambled egg. If using milk it has to be full fat. 

Bit of cheese at grated over the top wins the day for me as well

11 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

Pickled Eggs?

I know they really divide people but personally I love them. A crack of black pepper on them. Lovely.

A friend of mine still does not believe that some pubs sell them. I don't mind a pickled egg 

12 hours ago, Japan Jambo said:

Sriracha is a good shout. Had a Portuguese pal that had something like Tabasco that he put on a fried egg, went great in one of those papo seco rolls. 

Tabasco Sriracha is amazing. I have a nearly empty bottle but can't remember where I bought it.

46 minutes ago, jb102 said:

2 raw in a glass of tomato juice with a splash of Worcester sauce.

Not my favourite recipe for eggs but a good laugh watching other people wretch.

Used to work at a brewery, and one of the guys there would take a pint of hot wort (sugary barley extract, basically unfermented beer) and drop a couple of eggs into it and neck the lot as a breakfast. Swore by it as a hangover cure, could never bring myself to try it!

8 minutes ago, Sooperstar said:

I have a friend who refuses to eat an egg cooked by anyone but himself. 

My brother, a man in his sixties, won’t eat the white on an egg. He won’t even eat an egg if the white is still attached to it. He’ll separate the egg and only fry the yolk. Bizarre. 

18 minutes ago, Tazio said:

My brother, a man in his sixties, won’t eat the white on an egg. He won’t even eat an egg if the white is still attached to it. He’ll separate the egg and only fry the yolk. Bizarre. 

I know a couple of folk, my wife included, who only eat the white. I'll never get my head round that one.

19 minutes ago, Sooperstar said:

I know a couple of folk, my wife included, who only eat the white. I'll never get my head round that one.

i sometimes do that as sometimes i am not in the mood for the yolk but in addition it is healthier to just have the white as most of the calories are in the yolk. Not that it is bad eating whole eggs

24 minutes ago, Sooperstar said:

My mum only eats the yolk, and one of my nieces only eats the white...so they can share an egg between them :lol:

The Old Tolbooth
1 hour ago, Tazio said:

My missus does that too, weirdo! Although I feel I shouldn't really mention my missus and eggs in front of you ever again after that night in Diggers :lol:

Салатные палочки

Some great tips on the scrambled lads. Feel like a right amateur after reading your tips. 

Edited by Salad Fingers

1 hour ago, The Old Tolbooth said:

My missus does that too, weirdo! Although I feel I shouldn't really mention my missus and eggs in front of you ever again after that night in Diggers :lol:

🤢

41 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Omelette topped with a spoonful of soy sauce and chilli sauce - learned this from a breakfast station chef at a hotel in HK. Fantastic.

that sounds nice, my goto omelette would be to put tomato puree on it with some cheese making it some sort of omelette pizza mix

3 hours ago, Sooperstar said:

Tabasco Sriracha is amazing. I have a nearly empty bottle but can't remember where I bought it.

Hadn't realised that Tabasco had that on the go, try the proper Thai stuff!!

15 hours ago, Cade said:

Fried eggs end up with burnt crispy edges and an unset top because people use far too much heat.

Do it low and slow, effectively poaching the egg in hot oil. Baste the top towards the end of cooking.

Keep the yolk semi runny.

:greggy:

If you have a lid that fits the frying pan then towards the end of cooking, a splash of water and lid on will steam the top and you don't need to worry about splashing oil all over yourself

4 hours ago, Sooperstar said:

As is the thai lemongrass siracha !

16 hours ago, jonesy said:

Omelette ☑️

Scrambled ☑️

Fried ☑️

Poached ☑️

Boiled :evilno:

Used to get a sort of Chinese roll (bit stodgier than our morning variety) filled with thinly sliced, fried potatoes cooked with chillies (土豆丝 - Google it and make sure to ask for it next time you're in a Chinese restaurant) and a fried egg for breakfast on the way to work. Superb. Notable second place goes to Tunisian brick a l'ouef.

made me thing of Nasi Goreng, malaysian fried rice with a fried egg on top, outstanding dish

Liked them when I was wee but went off them and didn’t eat them for about 25 years until I started making scrambled eggs for my son. Now I have them all the time and any way - boiled, poached, fried, scrambled, omelette (especially Bombay omelette), benedict, florentine, scotch, rancheros, shakshuka, it’s all great. Although I’d maybe draw the line at a pickled egg!

Occasionally over here, they serve an egg in the middle of your pizza.

The other egg/pizza combo we get is called a Pizza Carbonatte.  Basically, it’s a pizza with spaghetti carbonara as it’s topping.  It’s delicious but absolutely calorie laden.

love eggs.  But all this talk of eggs and no mention of the Spanish omelette.  Had a colleague from Spain who sued to bring some in to the office (back in the day...).   Amazing.

2 hours ago, Ribble said:

2 hours ago, Japan Jambo said:

Hadn't realised that Tabasco had that on the go, try the proper Thai stuff!!

Prefer the Tabasco version!

2 hours ago, Ribble said:

Oh, might try that.

Sriracha mayo is also very tasty.

21 minutes ago, jonesy said:

You're consuming them wrong, Jonno.

Although, given your proclivity for Marmite based foods, nothing would surprise me about you any more.

7 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

True.

Eggs or no eggs.

Marmite or no Marmite, he’s got an arse like a cesspit and causes smells that are quite simply staggering.

Don't even mention Guinness.

26 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Eggs or no eggs.

Marmite or no Marmite, he’s got an arse like a cesspit and causes smells that are quite simply staggering.

Don't even mention Guinness.

thats the real reason you moved to the south of france

5 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

thats the real reason you moved to the south of france

I can’t deny it.

To do so would be pure folly on my part.

18 minutes ago, Pans Jambo said:

FRIED EGG SANDWICH!!!

End.

With, or without, Tomato Ketchup?

Or is that a whole new thread?

highlandjambo3
16 hours ago, Salad Fingers said:

Flake is some smoked salmon and chopped chives to take this up to the next level.

2 hours ago, jonnothejambo said:

I must admit that I can clear a room with one of my bahooky blasts.

Thanks for that.  👍

Just what I needed to know.

:biggrin:

3 hours ago, Morgan said:

With, or without, Tomato Ketchup?

Or is that a whole new thread?

Soft yolk. Salt. Done!

20 hours ago, Salad Fingers said:

As mentioned earlier, DO NOT ADD SALT until you serve. It makes the eggs/milk (or cream) seperate and you end up with liquid running that makes your toast/roll soggy. 

Konrad von Carstein
1 hour ago, Spitonastranger said:

Eating chicken's period and the abuse the animal suffers

Organic in this house, for that very reason...caged or barn chicken farming should be banned...

1 hour ago, Maroon Sailor said:

0_sausage-and-egg.jpg

Occasionally make my own ‘macmuffin’, Asda cheese muffin, poached egg, cheese slice and onion lorne

Mcmuffins are some terrible shit. 

Have to disagree with the fried egg roll though, on a fresh morning roll that isn't tough as old boots, we bit of brown sauce, runny yoke. 

Oh my days. 

8 minutes ago, Greedy Jambo said:

Mcmuffins are some terrible shit. 

Have to disagree with the fried egg roll though, on a fresh morning roll that isn't tough as old boots, we bit of brown sauce, runny yoke.

Oh my days. 

:facepalm: