Black Friday

Der Kaiser

Think I can safely say I've never bought anything on a Black Friday deal or Cyber Monday deal. Always thought its been an utter con.

Note the BBC story this week confirms that the vast majority of "deals" are nothing like they appear with items being the same price and even cheaper in previous months and even a short time after the supposed deal ends.

I'd love to see retailers have to provide historical pricing on items to customers so you can see them for the sharks they are.

Carl Fredrickson

I have bought the odd thing but only when I know that it is a genuine reduction. I think retailers will get stock in specifically to be used in sales. 

Only ever bought fire sticks as they are genuinely much cheaper than normal. 

Then again I have found them on sale at different time of the year not much off the Black Friday deals. 

Edited by AlimOzturk

43 minutes ago, Der Kaiser said:

I'd love to see retailers have to provide historical pricing on items to customers so you can see them for the sharks they are.

By law they have to already, however the way they get around it is this.

Lets just say a TV.

What they do is sell that TV at £200-£300 higher in one store in an out of the way location for 7-14 days, knowing full well that they won't sell any or lose anything, but they can then legally state when black friday or any other sales come along that, that TV was whatever price between this and that date and where it was on sale, of course that's in very minute writing at the very bottom of the sign.

It's all legal and above board, but people think they are getting a bargin when in fact they are paying the same or in some cases even more.

The only thing I've ever bought off a black friday deal was a camera and it was a real deal, because I'd been after and tracking this camera for months but couldn't afford it, it was priced at £330 in most shops, anyway black friday and curry's had it at £150 off at £180, fecking nailed that right there and then, so there is deals, but only if you know for a fact that something is genuinely reduced.

Edited by Jambo-Jimbo

https://uk.camelcamelcamel.com/

Is good for tracking amazon prices. Just paste the link to product you want to check that you have seen on Amazon and it will tell you it's price change history.

You can also then set up email notifications for when it drops below a price you have set.

Edited by hughesie27

1 hour ago, Der Kaiser said:

Think I can safely say I've never bought anything on a Black Friday deal or Cyber Monday deal. Always thought its been an utter con.

Note the BBC story this week confirms that the vast majority of "deals" are nothing like they appear with items being the same price and even cheaper in previous months and even a short time after the supposed deal ends.

If you buy from Amazon or other online retailers, you can install one of many price history add-ons to your browser of choice. 

That gives you the actual price history over whatever time period you specify. Very helpful I find, it showed me that the £200 off the mobile phone my lad wanted to buy (he's had his current handset for years) was a genuine saving and not just the usual X off RRP. Of course, they are only savings if you need the item(s)! 

4 minutes ago, Gizmo said:

If you buy from Amazon or other online retailers, you can install one of many price history add-ons to your browser of choice. 

That gives you the actual price history over whatever time period you specify. Very helpful I find, it showed me that the £200 off the mobile phone my lad wanted to buy (he's had his current handset for years) was a genuine saving and not just the usual X off RRP. Of course, they are only savings if you need the item(s)! 

any specific price tracker you would reccommend?

10 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

any specific price tracker you would reccommend?

I've been using one called Keepa on Chrome. Seems to work OK. I couldn't get the camelizer one to work with Amazon for a while, not sure if they lost their API hook-in or it's just my add-on. Example for a portable projector I've been tracking (the missus keeps saying NO, tho...). 

image.thumb.png.e3f30b18ca716ef7b28b36602df96235.png

SectionDJambo

Just another American fad that has been gobbled up by the masses in the UK. There will be some real bargains but also an opportunity for retailers to push out items nobody would even think about buying at any other time, even at the same price as the Black Friday “bargain”.

We’ll be celebrating Thanksgiving and the 4th of July next, if they can provide a retail bounce.

10 hours ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Lets just say a TV.

What they do is sell that TV at £200-£300 higher in one store in an out of the way location for 7-14 days, knowing full well that they won't sell any or lose anything, but they can then legally state when black friday or any other sales come along that, that TV was whatever price between this and that date and where it was on sale, of course that's in very minute writing at the very bottom of the sign.

It's all legal and above board, but people think they are getting a bargin when in fact they are paying the same or in some cases even more.

The only thing I've ever bought off a black friday deal was a camera and it was a real deal, because I'd been after and tracking this camera for months but couldn't afford it, it was priced at £330 in most shops, anyway black friday and curry's had it at £150 off at £180, fecking nailed that right there and then, so there is deals, but only if you know for a fact that something is genuinely reduced.

This is correct. I worked at Comet in my uni days and this was their standard practice.

18 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

This is correct. I worked at Comet in my uni days and this was their standard practice.

Tesco does it with their red wines. Rats. 

56 minutes ago, Tazio said:

I always knew Black Friday as the last Friday before Christmas for bar staff. Nothing to do with American sales scams. 

Make take was similar to this but with the angle it was the likely most popular Friday night in December for the office parties, normally second Friday in December was a good candidate. 

City centre rammed with those who never normally go out and drink far too much and make James Hunts of themselves. 

12 hours ago, AlimOzturk said:

Then again I have found them on sale at different time of the year not much off the Black Friday deals. 

I was waiting till they came down in price (they're down now) but got one at the Black Friday price last week by asking Alexa to "order a firestick". 👍

Салатные палочки

Might pop down to Tesco on Friday and watch the scramble for Polaroid televisions. 

20 hours ago, Der Kaiser said:

It's an American thing where amazing deals are there. We (the British) are just doing it wrong. 

20 hours ago, AlimOzturk said:

got my fire stick half price.

7 hours ago, Salad Fingers said:

Might pop down to Tesco on Friday and watch the scramble for Polaroid televisions. 

that first year of black friday and people fighting over that well known tv brand blaupunkt tvs 

27 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

that first year of black friday and people fighting over that well known tv brand blaupunkt tvs 

"Hey no problem Miller. If you let the mayor go, we'll even throw in a Blaupunkt"

9 hours ago, Angry Haggis said:

Make take was similar to this but with the angle it was the likely most popular Friday night in December for the office parties, normally second Friday in December was a good candidate. 

City centre rammed with those who never normally go out and drink far too much and make James Hunts of themselves. 

Last Friday before Xmas Day. In the event Xmas Eve is a Friday it's the Friday before.

Therefore Black Friday is the 17th of December this year.

10 hours ago, Tazio said:

I always knew Black Friday as the last Friday before Christmas for bar staff. Nothing to do with American sales scams. 

Where I live that is known as either mad Friday or black eye Friday

The Real Maroonblood
2 hours ago, Marvin said:

It's an American thing where amazing deals are there. We (the British) are just doing it wrong. 

Exactly.

Deals all the year round.

Dennis Reynolds

There's usually some good deals hidden among the pish. I usually wait untill now to get my PlayStation Plus membership for the year a bit cheaper. Not much. Had to get stuff last year for the new digs not long after black Friday and it was a nightmare. Majority of stuff out of stock. Meant I managed to get a cheaper fridge than the one the wife wanted though...

highlandjambo3
On 23/11/2021 at 11:10, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Lets just say a TV.

There is a thing called “lost leader” in economics where the retailer does literally give stuff away………..let’s say a £1000 tv is being advertised at £300 on a first come first served basis and, the shop has 5 of these…..plug the advertising for a week or so and state the sale is a one day event only……people pitching up the evening before, long queue waiting for the shop to open…..mad rush to get in and 5 tv’s are gone instantly however, the nugget here is everyone else that has dipped out have really had their mind set on a new tv for a week or so and the likelihood of them buying another type of tv is high……shop lost out on 5 tv’s but quids in on the other 50 they sold.

9 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Last Friday before Xmas Day. In the event Xmas Eve is a Friday it's the Friday before.

Therefore Black Friday is the 17th of December this year.

Paper hatted fools