Sciatica

redjambo

I've been in a bit of pain for a couple of months now, with a pain in my left leg that only really hassles me at night, waking me up several times during the night. I usually leave these things to mend themselves, but it's been getting a wee bit worse (or perhaps less bearable) so I eventually called the doctor only to be told that they were full to capacity and I should call back on Monday in the hope that I can get a slot. The new normal, I suppose.

However, I think it could well be sciatica, the pain being internal but towards my outer thigh. I've stopped lugging around heavy objects in the meantime.

So, to the question. Is anyone else on here bothered with sciatica, and what do you do to alleviate it? I'll wait for the doctor's advice before ploughing the relevant anti-inflammatories and painkillers into me, but in the meantime are there any exercises for example that you've found that can alleviate the pain?

I have had it on and off for a few years now. You have my sympathy as when it flares up it is bloody painful. Been to the docs and all they gave me was pain killers ( strong Co-codamol), as you have said try not to lift anything heavy or awkward movements, sorry I could not give you anymore help.

5 minutes ago, micole said:

I have had it on and off for a few years now. You have my sympathy as when it flares up it is bloody painful. Been to the docs and all they gave me was pain killers ( strong Co-codamol), as you have said try not to lift anything heavy or awkward movements, sorry I could not give you anymore help.

No, any info is very much appreciated. The pain I have during the day is intermittent, low-level and ignorable so perhaps I have a mild case. I can't be hassled with not getting a night's uninterrupted sleep though! I hope you're not too troubled with it in the future. Thanks, micole. :thumb:

25 minutes ago, redjambo said:

I've been in a bit of pain for a couple of months now, with a pain in my left leg that only really hassles me at night, waking me up several times during the night. I usually leave these things to mend themselves, but it's been getting a wee bit worse (or perhaps less bearable) so I eventually called the doctor only to be told that they were full to capacity and I should call back on Monday in the hope that I can get a slot. The new normal, I suppose.

However, I think it could well be sciatica, the pain being internal but towards my outer thigh. I've stopped lugging around heavy objects in the meantime.

So, to the question. Is anyone else on here bothered with sciatica, and what do you do to alleviate it? I'll wait for the doctor's advice before ploughing the relevant anti-inflammatories and painkillers into me, but in the meantime are there any exercises for example that you've found that can alleviate the pain?

A friend has it and he says the pain is awful so I have sympathy with you , especially if it impacts on your sleep 💤 that’s the pits with night time pain . Cant sleep properly and u feel like crap the next day . Try YouTube and type in “ exercise for sciatica “ there may be help on it ? It’s brilliant for a variety of subjects ! 

Had it a few years ago for a period of about six months. Biggest thing that made a difference for me was stretches every morning and sometimes during the day if I was particularly sore. You can google the different stretches but the one that really helped me was this one:

Screen-Shot-2016-10-14-at-4.12.37-PM.png

I have it and when it flares up the pain is unbearable, I get it down my right leg and across the bottom of my back, depending on the level of pain determines what exercises etc can be done but I always find that when I’m in bed I have to have my leg raised up quite high with a cushion or the duvet scrunched up under my knee/thigh, I get cocodamol and naproxen for the pain, I have sympathy for anyone with this as it’s excruciating pain, last time I had it I was bed ridden for 5 weeks, missed the 4-0 Celtic game which was gutting ☹️ thankfully it’s been 3 or 4 years since last having it but it’ll come back like it always does. 

Many thanks, guys, even to jonesy who took full advantage of the thread to fill his daily "3 suggestive/outré jokes on JKB" quota.

I'll give the raised leg at night and the exercises a go, starting with Alex's suggestion above which I see from https://www.healthline.com/health/back-pain/sciatic-stretches is called the Reclining Pigeon Pose. Someone may have to unravel me later on though...

3 hours ago, micole said:

Some of my best days have been on Co-codamol. 

2 minutes ago, Des Lynam said:

All joking aside I hope you get it sorted soon. Sleep interruption is awful. 

Cheers, Des. It is indeed - wipes me out for the following day. A bit of a vicious circle because it kind of doesn't leave you in a fit state to properly deal with the issue at hand. The fun of growing old and not taking sufficiently good care of your body (in my case). Anyway, the ailment I have is not as bad as others have mentioned having, so I'll count myself lucky and just make moves to get it sorted out (this thread was a step in that direction).

Only thing that helps me is this 18 min YouTube video. 

Could barely drive home from work one day. Came home and done this video and was 10 times better. 

Thanks Gerd, I'll have a go at your video tomorrow (glad it works so well for you), as I've just done three exercises from the link I posted earlier and don't want to overdo it. :) We'll see if it makes a difference - the proof of the pudding will be in the sleeping.

Jeffros Furios
5 hours ago, redjambo said:

I find walking (If possible) to help a bit.  I get it through the buttocks down to both feet and the colder weather doesn't help .I've other back issues which means after years of painkillers I'm now addicted to them .

Unfortunately there's no easy solution but walking certainly makes it easier for me.

2 hours ago, jonesy said:

Seeing her stretch has provided many people with relief.

😂👍🏻

1 hour ago, redjambo said:

Many thanks, guys, even to jonesy who took full advantage of the thread to fill his daily "3 suggestive/outré jokes on JKB" quota.

I'll give the raised leg at night and the exercises a go, starting with Alex's suggestion above which I see from https://www.healthline.com/health/back-pain/sciatic-stretches is called the Reclining Pigeon Pose. Someone may have to unravel me later on though...

If you get stuck, send a messenger p…oh wait

I went to a private physio for a couple of 30 minute sessions made a huge difference. Never took pain killers but followed some exercises or stretches from YouTube,  as shown above,  and they keep it under control for me.

Get to the doctors. pain in the left leg could be serious (according to my doctor)

I didn't have pain in my leg so was sent away with pain killers. lazy cow. 

Edited by Greedy Jambo

Believe it or not, I had because of my shoes.

My doctor said that was impossible and questioned my theory. 

I said “my shoes are a size 8, sciatica size 9…….”

I’ll apologise right now. 🙄

Had it most of my life and only went to the Quack when I couldn't walk. Hate taking pills etc. Usual male stupidity.

Now that I'm not so stupid and take pills when required, as soon as I feel the familiar "twinge" I take a couple of Ibuprofen every 5 hours for 4 days and I've had no problems since.

48 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Serious question here, chaps.

Can it cause pain in the hip as well?

Thanks. 

I think your body starts adjusting to pain by moving differently which can cause other places to become painful. 

Slipped disc was  causing me to have sciatica in both legs along with other places for the last 3-4 years. Started to exercise more, got one of those kneel chairs and my symptoms have all but gone. Occasional flair ups that last a week but once through it seems fine. The body is a strange thing.

51 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Thanks. 

Yes it can, I get a sort of burning sensation as well pain in that area. 

1 hour ago, Morgan said:

Thanks. 

Definitely yes Morgs.

Can spasm anywhere in that area, get on the anti-inflammatorys.

My right leg just used to buckle and seize up, leaving me crawling around on the floor waiting for it to clear, then I'd be fine for days or weeks at a time before it would go again. Had a few embarrassing moments, one at Tynecastle, night game and I couldn't get out of my seat at the end of the match, had to sit and apologise to loads of supporters who couldn't get past my substantial frame to exit the stadium. Sitting bent over in agony waiting for the pain to ease.

As I said earlier, I know the signs of an attack now and sometimes just a couple of Ibuprofen does the job, I do 4 days on the tablets and touch wood, it works well. 

Edited by Bull's-eye

Sawdust Caesar

I got it twice within a year in the late 90s, both times within a minute after getting out of bed in the morning. First time I got it the doc told me to rest up and take it easy and it took 3 months to clear up. WHat he should have told me was to try and keep mobile as doing nothing but lying on your back either makes it worse or takes longer to clear up. The 2nd time I got it I went to the doctor who told me to do the opposite of what he told me the previous year. Fair enough, with time we learn more about what is good and bad for you and what doctors previously thought was good practice they now know to be the opposite. The only problem I have was I should have been sent to see a neurosurgeon and got an operation to shave the disc, but I wasn't and I ended up with footdrop. Now my left foot slaps the ground when I walk. 

I got told by a physio that if you sleep on your back, when you wake up you should lie on your side for a couple of minutes before you get up as the discs in your back swell up with fluid when lying on your back for a while so to let the swelling go down you lie on your side. It can be a swollen disc that rubs against the nerve causing sciatica. I was always bad for waking up and rolling on to my back and dozing off again for 10/20 minutes, then getting straight up out of bed. Now every morning I always lie on my side for a couple of mins before getting up and I've never been bothered by sciatica since 1998.

15 hours ago, indianajones said:

I think your body starts adjusting to pain by moving differently which can cause other places to become painful. 

Slipped disc was  causing me to have sciatica in both legs along with other places for the last 3-4 years. Started to exercise more, got one of those kneel chairs and my symptoms have all but gone. Occasional flair ups that last a week but once through it seems fine. The body is a strange thing.

15 hours ago, jamtartan74 said:

Yes it can, I get a sort of burning sensation as well pain in that area. 

14 hours ago, Bull's-eye said:

Definitely yes Morgs.

Can spasm anywhere in that area, get on the anti-inflammatorys.

My right leg just used to buckle and seize up, leaving me crawling around on the floor waiting for it to clear, then I'd be fine for days or weeks at a time before it would go again. Had a few embarrassing moments, one at Tynecastle, night game and I couldn't get out of my seat at the end of the match, had to sit and apologise to loads of supporters who couldn't get past my substantial frame to exit the stadium. Sitting bent over in agony waiting for the pain to ease.

As I said earlier, I know the signs of an attack now and sometimes just a couple of Ibuprofen does the job, I do 4 days on the tablets and touch wood, it works well. 

Thanks very much for your answers.  👍

It seems very much like it’s one and the same thing.

Morgs

4 hours ago, Sawdust Caesar said:

I got it twice within a year in the late 90s, both times within a minute after getting out of bed in the morning. First time I got it the doc told me to rest up and take it easy and it took 3 months to clear up. WHat he should have told me was to try and keep mobile as doing nothing but lying on your back either makes it worse or takes longer to clear up. The 2nd time I got it I went to the doctor who told me to do the opposite of what he told me the previous year. Fair enough, with time we learn more about what is good and bad for you and what doctors previously thought was good practice they now know to be the opposite. The only problem I have was I should have been sent to see a neurosurgeon and got an operation to shave the disc, but I wasn't and I ended up with footdrop. Now my left foot slaps the ground when I walk. 

I got told by a physio that if you sleep on your back, when you wake up you should lie on your side for a couple of minutes before you get up as the discs in your back swell up with fluid when lying on your back for a while so to let the swelling go down you lie on your side. It can be a swollen disc that rubs against the nerve causing sciatica. I was always bad for waking up and rolling on to my back and dozing off again for 10/20 minutes, then getting straight up out of bed. Now every morning I always lie on my side for a couple of mins before getting up and I've never been bothered by sciatica since 1998.

The tip about lying on your side for a couple of minutes definitely sounds like it’s worth a try.  

I am someone one who jumps out of bed almost as soon as the alarm goes off, or even just as soon as I wake up.

9 minutes ago, Morgan said:

The tip about lying on your side for a couple of minutes definitely sounds like it’s worth a try.  

I am someone one who jumps out of bed almost as soon as the alarm goes off, or even just as soon as I wake up.

Wut ?

No Tommy tank to get the old heart started ?

1 hour ago, Bull's-eye said:

Wut ?

No Tommy tank to get the old heart started ?

I do that in the kitchen whilst the coffee is brewing.

Ive had sciatica on and off over the years, had it chronic for 3 years in 2009, absolute murder it was, looking back what helped me lots......

core strength exercises

rest

pillows between knees when sleeping

inversion table (provided brilliant relief, hanging upside down)

pain killers

yoga but not anything that agrivates the nerve.

pilates

It can be a long road but you can absoloutely recover.

good luck