Maroon Sailor

Yesterday the Chinese authorites said that she'll make an appearance soon...........why not now, immediately, easy enough to post a video to the world. 

It's more likely she'll appear as soon as she learns the script off by heart and they're happy with it.

7 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Yesterday the Chinese authorites said that she'll make an appearance soon...........why not now, immediately, easy enough to post a video to the world. 

It's more likely she'll appear as soon as she learns the script off by heart and they're happy with it.

there have been pictures posted to social media of her. however do we know when/where they were taken and if she is under duress

3 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

there have been pictures posted to social media of her. however do we know when/where they were taken and if she is under duress

Everyone rightly said that these photos didn't prove that she was alive, that's when the Chinese authorities replied that she'll make an appearance soon.

23 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

i wonder if this will cause any boycotts of the winter olympics in january in beijing?

That was mentioned on the news this morning.

10 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

That was mentioned on the news this morning.

the usa are considering it due to usa-china relations but this could push other countries to consider it

I P Knightley
36 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

the usa are considering it due to usa-china relations but this could push other countries to consider it

I'll probably get this wrong but the US athletes aren't threatening to boycott the games; it's the diplomats and schmoozers who go along to these things for the hotel stays, goody bags and shots on the local dancing girls & boys.

The WTA have made 'unofficial' soundings about cancelling China from their schedule. If they did so, I'd hope that the ATP back them up and do likewise.

The situation with Peng Shuai is very troubling and a lot of people in the tennis world are deeply concerned for her. I watched some of the coverage of the WTA finals over the last couple of weeks and, in between the matches, there was little getting away from the subject. You could see that Martina was very worried for her.

29 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

I'll probably get this wrong but the US athletes aren't threatening to boycott the games; it's the diplomats and schmoozers who go along to these things for the hotel stays, goody bags and shots on the local dancing girls & boys.

The WTA have made 'unofficial' soundings about cancelling China from their schedule. If they did so, I'd hope that the ATP back them up and do likewise.

The situation with Peng Shuai is very troubling and a lot of people in the tennis world are deeply concerned for her. I watched some of the coverage of the WTA finals over the last couple of weeks and, in between the matches, there was little getting away from the subject. You could see that Martina was very worried for her.

Yes there has been a lot of supportive tweets about her from many female tennis players , Martina included.   A supportive  speech  from the Barbara Krejcikova about how the Czech republic has changed from the cold war days and how it now enjoys its freedoms unlike China 

5 minutes ago, Zico said:

The CCP’s taxidermist is taking their time getting the job done for the time-stamped photos. 

You'd have thought they'd have dug up a lookalike by now. Anyone else reminded of the film 'Face Off'?

Flippancy aside this is a very grim incident. I hope she resurfaces alive and well, thought I suspect that a minimum she'll be scarred by this. 

5 hours ago, Japan Jambo said:

You'd have thought they'd have dug up a lookalike by now. Anyone else reminded of the film 'Face Off'?

Flippancy aside this is a very grim incident. I hope she resurfaces alive and well, thought I suspect that a minimum she'll be scarred by this. 

Restraining myself from making  a racist comment.

dobmisterdobster
7 hours ago, Japan Jambo said:

I love that film. Wouldn't work in real life due to differing facial bone structures.

I P Knightley
On 21/11/2021 at 18:14, Maroon Sailor said:

The IOC doesn't have the squeakiest clean of reputations, vying with FIFA and the SFA for 'Most Corrupt Sporting Organisation' award. They've also got, with the Beijing Winter Olympics, a bit of a vested interest in 'nothing to see here' to ensure that brown envelopes are delivered correctly.

Now we've got the Chinese foreign ministry telling anyone in the world who's concerned to Eff Off, it's none of your business! You've got to admire them for just not giving a shit how it looks.

Just now, I P Knightley said:

The IOC doesn't have the squeakiest clean of reputations, vying with FIFA and the SFA for 'Most Corrupt Sporting Organisation' award. They've also got, with the Beijing Winter Olympics, a bit of a vested interest in 'nothing to see here' to ensure that brown envelopes are delivered correctly.

Now we've got the Chinese foreign ministry telling anyone in the world who's concerned to Eff Off, it's none of your business! You've got to admire them for just not giving a shit how it looks.

Heard Seb Coe on the Today program the other morning telling anyone who'd listen that would listen that we shouldn't engage in boycotts as it'd undermine our soft power. Olympics is an utterly tarnished sporting body imo, all about the Benjamins. 

Maroon Sailor
13 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

It does beg the question why she is telling Olympic officials she is safe and well (by video link) as opposed to the world media in person.

Edited by Maroon Sailor

Just now, Maroon Sailor said:

It does beg the question why she is telling Olympic officials she is safe and well (by video link) as opposed to the world media in person.

or the tennis people, LTA, WTA etc

Maroon Sailor

China has said the controversy surrounding tennis star Peng Shuai has been "maliciously hyped up", in its most direct response to the issue yet.

Ms Peng disappeared from the public eye for almost three weeks after making sexual assault allegations against China's former vice premier, triggering widespread international concern.

She has since re-appeared, but questions remain over her wellbeing.

On Tuesday, China's foreign ministry said it was "not a diplomatic matter".

"I believe you have all seen that she recently attended some public events and had a video call [with the president of the International Olympic Committee]," spokesman Zhao Lijian told reporters.

"I think some people should stop deliberately and maliciously hyping [the issue] up, let alone politicise this issue," he said.

Ms Peng, 35, is one of China's top tennis players. In a 1,600-word post on Chinese social media platform Weibo earlier this month, she said former Vice Premier Zhang Gaoli - who is 75 - had "forced" her to have sexual relations with him.

dobmisterdobster
5 hours ago, Japan Jambo said:

Heard Seb Coe on the Today program the other morning telling anyone who'd listen that would listen that we shouldn't engage in boycotts as it'd undermine our soft power. Olympics is an utterly tarnished sporting body imo, all about the Benjamins. 

Isnt Seb Coe an Olympic board member? There is no chance he would ever endorse a boycott.

9 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Not before time

fair play to them for having the balls to act, I'm sure there will be consequences.

SectionDJambo
13 hours ago, milky_26 said:

WTA now suspend all tournaments in china

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/tennis/59498779

Unlike the Olympic committee, who have been sending out positive messages about how all is fine because they got an exclusive video call from the unfortunate girl.

They just don't want to lose more cash by the Winter Games being affected after their losses in Japan.

• 3 weeks later...
On 02/12/2021 at 08:45, Japan Jambo said:

fair play to them for having the balls to act, I'm sure there will be consequences.

I'm pleasantly surprised by the WTA's actions. I can't think of any other sporting that would have taken this approach.

Maroon Sailor

Poor lassie looks shit scared about something.

Can see her walking on eggshells for the rest of her life

1 hour ago, Maroon Sailor said:

If the Party wants to feel your ass, it feels your ass.  Who's property does she think she is?

We'll all be walking on eggshells soon enough.

2 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Can see her quietly disappearing again I'm afraid.