Wine

Morgan

Konrad von Carstein
3 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Red, White or Rose?

I would expect a debonair European gentleman such as yourself to be breaking down your favourite varieties Mnsr Morgan.

Cab Sauv

"Old Vine" Zinfandel

Sauv Blanc

Chenin Blanc

decent Chardonnay on a summer day is nice.

Rosé wines vary for me, no fixed favourite.

Seymour M Hersh
30 minutes ago, redjambo said:

It's in my name.

In saying that, a crisp Rosé on a warm summer's day goes down very well.

Is that a Rosé with a crisp sandwich as per another thread?

23 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Red most of the time currently very keen on good Argentinian Malbec. Though I can be swayed by a good Chablis or Sancerre. 

I do love a good Malbec. Chilean wines are usually pretty decent too. Quite enjoying Portuguese reds at the moment too.

And love a Chateau Musar, though it is quite an acquired taste. 

17 minutes ago, Craig_ said:

I do love a good Malbec. Chilean wines are usually pretty decent too. Quite enjoying Portuguese reds at the moment too.

Chateau Musar is very year dependent. It’s one of my favourites but the price for the good ones is prohibitive for me. I had a 1986 on the shelf for years that I was saving for a special occasion. Eventually drank it and it was superb so I thought I’d replace it. Sadly I’m not willing or able to spend £150+ on a single bottle. 

Edited by Tazio

39 minutes ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

Is that a Rosé with a crisp sandwich as per another thread?

:D Could be.

5 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Chateau Musar is very dependent. It’s one of my favourites but the price for the good ones is prohibitive for me. I had a 1986 on the shelf for years that I was saving for a special occasion. Eventually drank it and it was superb so I thought I’d replace it. Sadly I’m not willing or able to spend £150+ on a single bottle. 

£150 for one, kin hell!  Got speaking to this elderly Irish gent on holiday 3 weeks ago. Said, three bottles of his favourite would cost €180, his shorts-n-shoes could've done with a steep & a boil but them's the priorities I suppose...

How did you come by your 1st bottle of Musar?...:detective:...⚖️...:biggrin2:

1 hour ago, redjambo said:

It's in my name.

In saying that, a crisp Rosé on a warm summer's day goes down very well.

Red for me! 

And i'll second the bit in bold. 

36 minutes ago, Craig_ said:

Have you tried a Carmenere? 

1 hour ago, Tazio said:

Red most of the time currently very keen on good Argentinian Malbec. Though I can be swayed by a good Chablis or Sancerre. 

A man of good taste. 

33 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Chateau Musar is very year dependent. It’s one of my favourites but the price for the good ones is prohibitive for me. I had a 1986 on the shelf for years that I was saving for a special occasion. Eventually drank it and it was superb so I thought I’d replace it. Sadly I’m not willing or able to spend £150+ on a single bottle. 

Sounds like I've probably drunk my last bottle of that then...  :o :ermm:

Any half-decent years you could recommend for - oh, I don't know - around a tenth of that?  :huh: :wink:

luckyBatistuta

Red, the heavier the better, but any red really apart from Merlot

Edited by luckyBatistuta

19 minutes ago, OBE said:

How did you come by your 1st bottle of Musar?...:detective:...⚖️...:biggrin2:

A Lebanese father in law that likes his booze is a good introduction to it. 

8 minutes ago, Auld Reekin' said:

Sounds like I've probably drunk my last bottle of that then...  :o :ermm:

Any half-decent years you could recommend for - oh, I don't know - around a tenth of that?  :huh: :wink:

It can be quite tricky to find. Villeneuve wines on Broughton Street Was always my go to but they’ve gone. You should be able to get a bottle starting in the high teens in terms of spend. 

In my opinion, Portuguese reds are hard to beat and good value, and there are also superb ones from various Spanish regions (including ones in the NW, such as Cigales and El Bierzo, as well as the usual suspects), Sicily & Puglia, and some of the southern French regions.

Portuguese rosés are shite though: Spain's yer man for them.

I quite enjoy a white wine now and then, especially some of the more distinctive ones like Albariño and Verdejo. Whites and rosés tend to give me heartburn these days, however...  :ermm:

Edited by Auld Reekin'

1 hour ago, Konrad von Carstein said:

I would expect a debonair European gentleman such as yourself to be breaking down your favourite varieties Mnsr Morgan.

Cab Sauv

"Old Vine" Zinfandel

Sauv Blanc

Chenin Blanc

decent Chardonnay on a summer day is nice.

Rosé wines vary for me, no fixed favourite.

You are of course correct. 👍

Red for me, my favourites being Rioja, Barolo or Cotes du Rhône. The denser and heavier, the better, so nothing less than 13.5% ABV.

A freezing cold Rose in the hot summer nights is perfect.

Our rule of thumb for white is - ABC - Anything but Chardonnay.  We hardly touch white but always keep a good one in the fridge for cooking with.  Needless to say, what doesn’t go into the food goes down our throats!

I prefer dry white wine. I don't really drink red wine. I like sauvignon blanc or chardonnay. I only drink it in the house as it gets far too drunk if i drink it on a night out.  

Konrad von Carstein
Just now, Morgan said:

Red for me, my favourites being Rioja, Barolo or Cotes du Rhône. The denser and heavier, the better, so nothing less than 13.5% ABV.

Our rule of thumb for white is - ABC - Anything but Chardonnay.  We hardly touch white but always keep a good one in the fridge for cooking with.  Needless to say, what doesn’t go into the food goes down our throats!

We used to think that but we got a bottle from a wine club and it was an absolute delight.

Subsequently, we bought a couple of mid range bottles in the summer and were pleasantly surprised....

4 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Poor old Chardonnay gets a bad rep due to it becoming prolific I mass produced wines. But Chablis is a Chardonnay and the grape is a major part of champagne production.

The Mighty Thor

There's not many I won't drink tbh. 

Pinotage, Zinfandel, Dao, viognier amarone, pretty much any of them.

Like a good Bush vine chenin, gavi, albarino, gewurztraminer, riesling, grauburgunder.

The Mighty Thor
5 minutes ago, Konrad von Carstein said:

Once had a Gewurtztraminer (sp?) which was amazing, never been able to find one as nice sadly...

Best one I've had was a Spatlese from a winery called Anselmann.

Unbelievably good. 👍

13 minutes ago, obua said:

Well matched with your pot noodle. 

The Tonic wine comment sort of figures, doesn’t it?

1 hour ago, Morgan said:

A good hefty Châteauneuf du Pape.

Not keen on Rosé - never had one that I really liked.  I do like a dry-as-a-bone Chablis or Sauv B. though 

For all the wine buffs ???? The 3rd thursday in november is the release of Beaujolais Nouveau with lots of french festivals.Got a btl today @ m&s £8 very nice pop it in the fridge for 1 hr to chill not usually done for a red very easy to drink.

Nucky Thompson

I can drink white or rose. Pinot Grigio is my go to wine just now.

Tesco over the border has 25% off 6 bottles of more. Saved myself 80 notes today

Normally a Malbec but the wife doesn't like red so it's rare I drink it in the house. We have been enjoying a Sancerre of late. The one in Scotmid currently leading the way over Tesco and Sainsbury's.

3 hours ago, Morgan said:

ABC?

you may be swayed by petit Chablis captain 

Buckfast for me, I know I know, bad reputation blah blah blah, however it’s actually nice when chilled, drink for the neds some might say, I don’t consider myself a ned (although some might disagree 😂) but to me it’s no different to any other alcoholic beverage, they all do the same thing so get over it u snobby barstewards 😁