The Canny Man’s aka The Volunteers Arms

Morgan

The Canny Mann’s is all hype. I get in there nae bother. I grew up hearing the stories and never went in.One night whilst in Morningside for a session we just went in for a laugh expecting to be told to leave. Much to our disappointment it was like any other bar and we had a few drinks in it and left. Decors a bit out there and it’s full of Watsons and Herriot’s Fp’s. 

It’s the kind of place a grown up Harry Potter might drink. 

Edited by spirt of 98

rudi must stay
3 hours ago, spirt of 98 said:

The Canny Mann’s is all hype. I get in there nae bother. I grew up hearing the stories and never went in.One night whilst in Morningside for a session we just went in for a laugh expecting to be told to leave. Much to our disappointment it was like any other bar and we had a few drinks in it and left. Decors a bit out there and it’s full of Watsons and Herriot’s Fp’s. 

It’s the kind of place a grown up Harry Potter might drink. 

It is an Aladdin's cave of gold. Pure perfection. Shame the characters that bestow it and arrogant and disrespectful, most of them anyway not all. 

The White Cockade
On 19/11/2021 at 15:04, Morgan said:

I remember he banned Christmas parties and groups of ‘revellers’ as he put it.

He called them ‘paper-hatted fools’.  😳

paper hatted fools!

that is a classic

Keep laughing out loud at that 🤣🤣🤣

On 19/11/2021 at 10:35, the general said:

Last time I was in there was a sales conference thing going on

All these guys in cheap suits get prizes for sale of the month etc etc

They had 2 of the biggest bottles of champers I had ever seen

Bunch of dicks

On 19/11/2021 at 13:27, felix said:

Was in recently for a sales conference.

Love the place.

I appreciated that felix, even if no one else did 🤣

9 hours ago, Mr Sifter said:

I appreciated that felix, even if no one else did 🤣

8 hours ago, felix said:

Nice one Mr S.  .thanks 👍

Embarrassed to admit, but not too proud not to, that comment from you, Felix, completely by-passed me.

Well played, man.  :clap:   

Big crowd of us used to frequent the place mid to late 70's, (that and the World's End). We used to take over one of the wee rooms on the left if you went in the side door. One of my mates got off with one of the barmaids at the time and found out that the condom machine in the gents was deliberately kept empty because nobody would ever go to the bar and complain about it. ha ha!

Footnote about the World's End, you could watch for the no 1 bus coming at 2.35, run to the bus stop and be in Tynecastle just in time for kick off, happy days!

1 hour ago, 1953 said:

Big crowd of us used to frequent the place mid to late 70's, (that and the World's End). We used to take over one of the wee rooms on the left if you went in the side door. One of my mates got off with one of the barmaids at the time and found out that the condom machine in the gents was deliberately kept empty because nobody would ever go to the bar and complain about it. ha ha!

Footnote about the World's End, you could watch for the no 1 bus coming at 2.35, run to the bus stop and be in Tynecastle just in time for kick off, happy days!

Had a pal that stayed down Canongate and used to meet him in The Worlds End for a jar. Was a good pub then (early 90’s) but was disappointed in it when I visited a few years back. Seems to be aimed at tourists and mostly revolved around food.