Pubs in Edinburgh you’d take back in a wee heartbeat..

Morgan

Montgomery Brewster
4 minutes ago, CostaJambo said:

Sounds like the same place we used to go for a while, probably around the mid eighties. I think one of my mates who worked at Standard Life at the time found out about it, very cheap pints for the town. Only other thing I can remember about it was that every time we went in there was always a guy drinking in there who was a ringer for Martin Fry of ABC. 

🍻 aye same place. I drank there 87,88,89 ish. Aye it was cheap and cheerful and a good place to get warmed up before going on the prowl. Although usually by the time you hit the trendier pubs near by you could hardly speak.  Many a standard life (us included) punter drank in there with its proximity to the multitude of buildings they had in the area at the time.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Morgan

• Tazio

• Savage Vince

• Pap

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, heartandsoul said:

Rakes and Mr Mustards

Owned by two brothers, Ahmed and the other brother, I can’t remember his name.

Mr Mustards in particular was a good Friday lunchtime place.

McGlynn The Money
39 minutes ago, Morgan said:

The Burnt Post and Chic Murray’s Hotel are two that came to my mind this morning.

The Burnt Post, great shout.

3 minutes ago, McGlynn The Money said:

The Burnt Post, great shout.

I spent many an afternoon floating between there, and Paddy’s at the bottom of Lothian Road.

1 hour ago, Morgan said:

The Burnt Post and Chic Murray’s Hotel are two that came to my mind this morning.

Aye Morgan .

The Burnt Post would be my choice, decent level of burdz in there usually :thumbsup:

Sunday night before pubs were allowed to open was any Hotel in Newington Road you could get in the door !!

luckyBatistuta
13 hours ago, FWJ said:

Is Sneaky Pete’s still on the go?

I’d have that (and my 21 year-old self) please.

It is pal, 

I miss a wee start to the night in the Cas Rock, it was probably shoite, but I was just starting out going out on nights up the town, so seemed decent to me.

19 minutes ago, merrymac said:

Aye Morgan .

The Burnt Post would be my choice, decent level of burdz in there usually :thumbsup:

Sunday night before pubs were allowed to open was any Hotel in Newington Road you could get in the door !!

Hi Mac,

the Shelbourne Hotel on York Place was ok for a wee Sunday nighter too.  👍🍻

joondalupjambo
1 hour ago, Morgan said:

Two places closest to me heart!!  The former was where i got done for underage drinking and the latter is where I went just afterwards until I was 18!!

2 minutes ago, joondalupjambo said:

Two places closest to me heart!!  The former was where i got done for underage drinking and the latter is where I went just afterwards until I was 18!!

Chic’s was great, especially on a Sunday afternoon.

Do you remember the parrot on the bar?

joondalupjambo
5 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Chic’s was great, especially on a Sunday afternoon.

Do you remember the parrot on the bar?

Nah I was too busy keeping my eye's on the door in case the Polis came in!!

I just seem to remember it being a good place to grab a seat in a corner, a piano on the entrance hall rings a bell though.  I guess where the great man performed and thinking about it I think he did once or twice when I was in.

3 minutes ago, joondalupjambo said:

Nah I was too busy keeping my eye's on the door in case the Polis came in!!

I just seem to remember it being a good place to grab a seat in a corner, a piano on the entrance hall rings a bell though.  I guess where the great man performed and thinking about it I think he did once or twice when I was in.

His wife, Maisie I think her name was, worked behind the bar for a while. 

18 hours ago, jonesy said:

Some good, if sporadic, memories of the supporters bus, too.

was on that bus for a couple of years late 80's !!

Seaside jambo
19 hours ago, Morgan said:

I know there are old pub threads on here and, in general, threads about Edinburgh pubs but...

If you could have one pub back, one that no longer exists, a favourite from years ago, which one would it be?

Mine, without a doubt, would be the Penthouse at Tollcross.

Yours? 

Penthouse for me too 

from 78 to 83 

Jeffros Furios
2 hours ago, Morgan said:

The Burnt Post was a great pub up until the late 90s when all the scum were allowed in 

I done a few shifts on the door just as the Hubs casuals were running thier protection rackets. 

The pub never recovered and has changed names a good few times since .

1 hour ago, Morgan said:

Hi Mac,

the Shelbourne Hotel on York Place was ok for a wee Sunday nighter too.  👍🍻

Used to quite like the Blue Blanket on the High Street for a quiet pint before the carnage later:drunk:

12 minutes ago, Lfhearts said:

The Maitland more a pub than a hotel, The Viceroy, Lord Tom's for late night bevvy.

Good pint of Carlsberg ‘Jungle juice’ in the Maitland.  👍

1 hour ago, Seaside jambo said:

Penthouse for me too 

from 78 to 83 

Do you remember the owner, John Logan?

4 hours ago, Morgan said:

Owned by two brothers, Ahmed and the other brother, I can’t remember his name.

Mr Mustards in particular was a good Friday lunchtime place.

Morgan, I think the guy that owned Rakes was called Joe. 

Seaside jambo
1 hour ago, Morgan said:

Do you remember the owner, John Logan?

Can’t remember the name of the guy but he had a jag car and am sure he had the castle arms at Johnstone terrace 

Fxxx the SPFL
21 hours ago, Tazio said:

The Lord Darnley was always a good spot for late night pool or bands. I remember being in there once when I was on the dole with a couple of similarly skint flat mates. We sat down having spent our last cash on 3 bottles of Newcastle Brown. One of the lads picked up a Marlboro pack that was left on the table hoping it might have a cigarette left in it. He looked inside and quickly told us to drink up ASAP so we could leave. We got outside and he announced there was an ounce of black hash in the pack. If you knew the Darnley that was when it was a big biker bar with some bad people frequenting it so we scuttled of as quick as we could as we reckoned the pack belonged to one of the rough *******s playing pool. We don’t dare go back for weeks. 

Met the wife in there in 1978 and the rest as they say is history can’t recall it being rough and that was a Saturday night when we met long before the pubic triangle days nearby

Edited by Fxxx the SPFL

29 minutes ago, **** the SPFL said:

Met the wife in there in 1978 and the rest as they say is history can’t recall it being rough and that was a Saturday night when we met long before the pubic triangle days nearby

It was in the early to mid 80’s when one of the biker gangs adopted it as a drinking den. 

2 hours ago, heartandsoul said:

Morgan, I think the guy that owned Rakes was called Joe. 

That’s him!

He looked a lot like his brother, didn’t he?

Thanks for that 👍 

43 minutes ago, Lfhearts said:

I do.

He was a good bloke, Lf.

His head barman was Dougie, iirc, and the old dear behind the bar was called Jessie.

If I knew roughly what age you are, I’d say that we had probably crossed paths.

1 hour ago, **** the SPFL said:

47 minutes ago, Tazio said:

It was in the early to mid 80’s when one of the biker gangs adopted it as a drinking den. 

I’d have said that the ‘pubic triangle’ was on the go before 1978, Ray.

I don’t think I am far wrong here.

1 hour ago, Seaside jambo said:

Can’t remember the name of the guy but he had a jag car and am sure he had the castle arms at Johnstone terrace 

Permed hair?

A bit cocky?

That’s him!  👍

11 minutes ago, Morgan said:

That’s him!

He looked a lot like his brother, didn’t he?

Thanks for that 👍 

No problem Morgan, yes he did look like him. Great pubs in their day. 

Just now, heartandsoul said:

No problem Morgan, yes he did look like him. Great pubs in their day. 

They were h and s.  👍

So many lunchtimes, so many pints!

Doctor FinnBarr
1 hour ago, Tazio said:

IIRC it was the Hells Angels (West Coast), not to be confused with the proper HA in England. Most of the zoomers didn't have a bike but liked the image.

Think they disbanded after the Barbarians (in an attempt to join up with the Satans Slaves) enticed them to a pub near Haddington or Dalkeith and several were hit by gunshots. None dead but a big trial followed that seen several Barbs jailed.

PS. It worked for the Barbs, they became Satans Slaves (Lothian).

Transcendental
10 hours ago, Ribble said:

For me it would be Stones (can't quite remember if it was hannover or fredrick st that it was on) or the Jekyll and Hyde (know it's still a pub but any form of 'taproom' is a world away from the jeykll

IIRC Stones was previously The Penguin Cafe and was closed in late 90s as the premises was rebranded as a Club 30 venue. Worked as a doorman there until 2000. 
Oh aye, sorry, was in Frederick St!

Doctor FinnBarr
6 minutes ago, Transcendental said:

IIRC Stones was previously The Penguin Cafe and was closed in late 90s as the premises was rebranded as a Club 30 venue. Worked as a doorman there until 2000. 

Was the Penguin a rock bar on the left hand side as you walked to George St from Princes' St?

Transcendental
5 minutes ago, FinnBarr Saunders said:

Was the Penguin a rock bar on the left hand side as you walked to George St from Princes' St?

Aye that’s the one, I think it’s a restaurant now called Bourbon. Was at 24 Frederick St. The Penguin (early 90s) was pretty mainstream clientele, similar demographic as maybe The Rutland. Stones was indeed a Rock Bar idea but was losing money so S&N went down the over-25s pick up joint route and never looked back…

Doctor FinnBarr
3 minutes ago, Transcendental said:

Aye that’s the one, I think it’s a restaurant now called Bourbon. Was at 24 Frederick St. The Penguin (early 90s) was pretty mainstream clientele, similar demographic as maybe The Rutland. Stones was indeed a Rock Bar idea but was losing money so S&N went down the over-25s pick up joint route and never looked back…

It had the nicest bogs I've ever found in a rock bar and the bouncers (sorry, doormen) even looked after my pint glass that I'd got at a CAMRA beer festival at Meadowbank as I couldn't take it in. Just launched that pint glass yesterday so I can't even check the year now but it was certainly early 90s.

Transcendental
2 minutes ago, FinnBarr Saunders said:

It had the nicest bogs I've ever found in a rock bar and the bouncers (sorry, doormen) even looked after my pint glass that I'd got at a CAMRA beer festival at Meadowbank as I couldn't take it in. Just launched that pint glass yesterday so I can't even check the year now but it was certainly early 90s.

I had forgotten the pristine lavvies. But you’re bang on… that was the one part of the venue that survived the various renovations/upgrades. If I mind right they still had the black and white tiling on the floor. Good days! 

Fxxx the SPFL
8 hours ago, Morgan said:

I’d have said that the ‘pubic triangle’ was on the go before 1978, Ray.

I don’t think I am far wrong here.

I bow to your superior knowledge Morgan you were obviously a frequent visitor 🤣

10 hours ago, Morgan said:

He was a good bloke, Lf.

His head barman was Dougie, iirc, and the old dear behind the bar was called Jessie.

If I knew roughly what age you are, I’d say that we had probably crossed paths.

Knew Dougie, think he is still going strong, I am 60.

N Lincs Jambo

Whatever happened to the vibrant hotel bar culture? Chic Murray's (iirc) was a hotel bar and I loved going in there early 80s. Also Royal Circus was a place we started a Friday or Saturday drinking session also early 80s

Surprised no one mentioned the wheatshief on balgreen road.

The oak, robbos,

Anderson (lothian Road), & Espionage. 

Down here the red lion. 

Another vote for tap o lauriston

Green tree, cowgate

Victoria bar, causewayside

Edit: Apologies, that's 3

Edited by crunchy frog

14 hours ago, Transcendental said:

yeah sure it was closed as stones around 96/97ish, I was certainly never in it whilst of legal age to drink!