Nicknames that would no longer be tolerated..

Morgan

Nicknames of folk you knew that would be frowned upon nowadays.

I knew a bloke who’s nickname was ‘Metallic Alec’.

Poor soul was called Alexander and had the misfortune to require a caliper.  :sad: 

Imagine the outcry nowadays!

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Morgan

• whodanny

• The Gorgie

• Stu_HMFC

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

9 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

...what do you mean required a caliper?

I mean he had to wear one to give him stability when walking.

3 minutes ago, Morgan said:

I have no idea what a caliper is in this instance. 

One of those big metal braces?

5 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

Yes, it was worn on one leg, or both sometimes.  I think that sadly, it had some connection to Polio.

highlandjambo3
6 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

You seen Forrest Gump?  The part where he is a young lad being chased….has steel callipers on and as his speed increases the callipers begin to disintegrate…….. followed by “run Forrest run” from his girlfriend 

Retarded Ronnie (mentally handicapped boy)

Darky Hill (sun tanned old man who whistled a lot)

Bit lip john (had a cleft pallet)

Hop a long (teacher with a limp)

Whitburn was not a kind place to be a wee bit different in the 80's

36 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Nicknames of folk you knew that would be frowned upon nowadays.

I knew a bloke who’s nickname was ‘Metallic Alec’.

Poor soul was called Alexander and had the misfortune to require a caliper.  :sad: 

Imagine the outcry nowadays!

I remember some nutter in Linlithgow going with the nick name P@@i - Horrible! He said it was his nick name all his life absolute bullshit. Would even defend getting called it when folk would question him. I used to play football for the same team as him and folk yelling out his "nickname" for the ball anyone watching this from a distance would be shocked. 

1 minute ago, jonesy said:

Posting the nickname we gave the one-eyed albino Chinese Jew with a speech impediment at my old work would see me banned sine die from JKB.

I can't even begin to imagine!

3 minutes ago, Stu_HMFC said:

I remember some nutter in Linlithgow going with the nick name P@@i - Horrible! He said it was his nick name all his life absolute bullshit. Would even defend getting called it when folk would question him. I used to play football for the same team as him and folk yelling out his "nickname" for the ball anyone watching this from a distance would be shocked. 

Is that not how the ex celtic keeper Pat Bonner's nickname is pronounced?

Edited by GinRummy

12 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Think Forrest Gump 

10 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Yes, it was worn on one leg, or both sometimes.  I think that sadly, it had some connection to Polio.

9 minutes ago, highlandjambo3 said:

You seen Forrest Gump?  The part where he is a young lad being chased….has steel callipers on and as his speed increases the callipers begin to disintegrate…….. followed by “run Forrest run” from his girlfriend 

Never seen Forrest Gump. I do now know what you are talking about though!

Hope Metallic Alec is doing well 

Edited by hughesie27

4 minutes ago, cheetah said:

Retarded Ronnie (mentally handicapped boy)

Darky Hill (sun tanned old man who whistled a lot)

Bit lip john (had a cleft pallet)

Hop a long (teacher with a limp)

Whitburn was not a kind place to be a wee bit different in the 80's

We had a teacher at school we called two face as his back off his baldy napper looked like he has a mouth and nose 😂 Dr Al Moshedi was his name came from Motherwell dress down days he would come into teach in a full lacoste tracksuit 😂

The Real Maroonblood
11 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Also if you had knock knees.

I had a horrible nickname as a kid  I hated it.   A nickname is  meant to be a sign of affection . Whenever i hear someone shout it to me in the street i immediately know they know me from my childhood. 

Can't think of any that were too bad. Tam the fire starter (because he went about starting fires and got expelled from school) is one that sticks in my mind. Slow Eddie, because he had learning difficulties is one that shouldn't have been acceptable but was used by everyone to identify him from the other Eddie in our year. Second names would have worked as well.

36 minutes ago, Morgan said:

That was quite common in my young day, we had a boy lived in Parkside Terrace, and he had them on each leg. He had no nicknames he wasn't a kid to offend. Played tennis ba' fitba' with us in the school playground those calipers we dangerous.

Sawdust Caesar

There used to be an woman at my work named Ina, her nickname (behind her back) was ***. One of my colleagues, when told this, said "Inavag! I don't get it."  At my school there was a lad named Eric Wind, the geography teacher, when taking register, called him Eric Flatulence. Probably get sacked for that now. 

I had really bad acne at when I was at school so had plenty of quite amusing nicknames, Moonface Alpha, Plook Skywalker, relief map of the Himalayas, to name but 3. 

At school I had a teacher with black frizzy hair and beard, who's nickname was the 3 lettered term for an indigenous Australian, and there was Harry Hitler, the janny, who went mental if you whistled that 'Hitler has only got one ball' tune.

27 minutes ago, Stu_HMFC said:

Well known guy in Lithgae,  recently deceased,  with that nickname he was Michael his father was Patrick hence the nickname like the former Celtic keeper Bonner.

Sawdust Caesar
12 minutes ago, Sawdust Caesar said:

There used to be an woman at my work named Ina, her nickname (behind her back) was ***. One of my colleagues, when told this, said "Inavag! I don't get it."  At my school there was a lad named Eric Wind, the geography teacher, when taking register, called him Eric Flatulence. Probably get sacked for that now. 

I had really bad acne at when I was at school so had plenty of quite amusing nicknames, Moonface Alpha, Plook Skywalker, relief map of the Himalayas, to name but 3. 

The starred out bit is meant to say V a g, didn't realise it was a censored word on here.

Edited by Sawdust Caesar

6 minutes ago, EIEIO said:

Well known guy in Lithgae,  recently deceased,  with that nickname he was Michael his father was Patrick hence the nickname like the former Celtic keeper Bonner.

I'm only 30 mate was around 10/12 year ago he was no older than 25. 

Another guy I remembered from school days moved from Edinburgh to Linlithgow became mates because his parents made the move like mine was a jambo too ( Now supports Celtic ) last name was Mittun got called Minge 

4 minutes ago, Stu_HMFC said:

I'm only 30 mate was around 10/12 year ago he was no older than 25. 

Different guy then. The nickname sounds iffy even by West Lothian standards. 

Sure there was a boy in the Borders called **** of John (Had Tourette’s)

My brother in law had a mixed race  mate who was called darkie something 

One of my childhood mates was called [filter edit] (After Blazing Saddles boy

21 minutes ago, Montgomery Brewster said:

A boy I used to work with, a bit light on his loafers. Was known as lukewarm 

I find the term 'light on his loafers' funnier than the nickname!

:rofl:

We used to say 'light on his feet'.

we had a guy at school with the surname of Brown.... his nickname defo wouldn't be allowed now!  and im not taking a ban to write it on here! 

Even the less offensive ones like 

Fatty Fleming....specky joe 90..... Ginger minge 

Calling someone those names at school now would probably get you in bother 

The Real Maroonblood
1 minute ago, Sir Craig Gordon said:

Use to be a guy in gorebridge, think he actually had learning difficulties, but he ran every where so got called The Road Runner.

Beep! Beep!

Carl Fredrickson
5 minutes ago, Sir Craig Gordon said:

Use to be a guy in gorebridge, think he actually had learning difficulties, but he ran every where so got called The Road Runner.

I know the guy you mean. I last saw him about 20 years ago and offered him a lift as he was running from Bonnyrigg to Gorebridge. It was peeing with rain, he was carrying something that was giftwrapped and soaking, he was wearing a suit and turned my offer down.

Being born and bred in Gorebridge in the 1970s I have a few I cant share and the two I am going to share are tame by comparison 

The "shows" came to Gorebridge a couple of times a year and the kids would attend our school for a few days (more often they didnt) and one wee lad was called Ivor - his nickname for his short time with us was Dick.

There was a lad in the year below me who had a glass eye and would use it as a marble. If he lost he would get his mum to come to your door to get his glass eye back. His nickname was Pen!s  - as he only had one eye. It seemed funny at the time.

been here before

Right my tale is possible not suitable so Ive hidden it away. Its to do with a boy who hit a hard time and tried to end it all. Fortunately its got a happy ending.

Thought it best to put up a bit of a warning incase you might not want to read it given the subject matter.

But the nickname would definitaly not be tolerated now!

Spoiler

I worked with a boy years ago who was known as The Cardigan. It took me a good while to find out why. It turns out that many years previously (1970s) his wife left him. Hits him pretty hard and he decided to end it all. To make sure he does it right he tied a rope round his neck and jumped out the window. Problem was it was something like a 20ft jump but he used 30ft of rope.

He hits the ground with a crash and ends up fracturing his pelvis and breaking his legs, a right mess. Anyhow thankfully he gots the help he needed both physically and mentally, got everything back on an even keel, picks up the pieces and returns to work. Got married again, had bairns, it all worked out well.

Took me a long time to find out why he had that nickname until one boozy afternoon one of his old colleagues finally told me the above story. I still couldnt work out The Cardigan bit until I was told...

..."well he's nearly a jumper".

Edited by been here before

14 minutes ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

I know the guy you mean. I last saw him about 20 years ago and offered him a lift as he was running from Bonnyrigg to Gorebridge. It was peeing with rain, he was carrying something that was giftwrapped and soaking, he was wearing a suit and turned my offer down.

Being born and bred in Gorebridge in the 1970s I have a few I cant share and the two I am going to share are tame by comparison 

The "shows" came to Gorebridge a couple of times a year and the kids would attend our school for a few days (more often they didnt) and one wee lad was called Ivor - his nickname for his short time with us was Dick.

There was a lad in the year below me who had a glass eye and would use it as a marble. If he lost he would get his mum to come to your door to get his glass eye back. His nickname was Pen!s  - as he only had one eye. It seemed funny at the time.

Growing up in gorebridge then you'll probably know someone in my family, everyone seems to know a Blackhurst.

2 minutes ago, been here before said:

Right my tale is possible not suitable so Ive hidden it away. Its to do with a boy who hit a hard time and tried to end it all. Fortunately its got a happy ending.

Thought it best to put up a bit of a warning incase you might not want to read it given the subject matter.

Reveal hidden contents

I worked with a boy years ago who was known as The Cardigan. It took me a good while to find out why. It turns out that many years previously (1970s) his wife left him. Hits him pretty hard and he decided to end it all. To make sure he does it right he tied a rope round his neck and jumped out the window. Problem was it was something like a 20ft jump but he used 30ft of rope.

He hits the ground with a crash and ends up fracturing his pelvis and breaking his legs, a right mess. Anyhow thankfully he gots the help he needed both physically and mentally, got everything back on an even keel, picks up the pieces and returns to work. Got married again, had bairns, it all worked out well.

Took me a long time to find out why he had that nickname until one boozy afternoon one of his old colleagues finally told me the above story. I still couldnt work out The Cardigan bit until I was told...

😂😂😂

Carl Fredrickson

Growing up in gorebridge then you'll probably know someone in my family, everyone seems to know a Blackhurst.

Oh I know some from Wilson Road...... their ma made great meals back in the day (crispy pancakes with chips was a treat to me as my folks couldnt afford crispy pancakes)

2 minutes ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

Oh I know some from Wilson Road...... their ma made great meals back in the day (crispy pancakes with chips was a treat to me as my folks couldnt afford crispy pancakes)

Yip that will be my gran 😂. Small world.

8 minutes ago, been here before said:

Reveal hidden contents

I feel really bad if that's true cause its funny as **** 😂😂😂

highlandjambo3
1 hour ago, hughesie27 said:

Never seen Forrest Gump. I do now know what you are talking about though!

Hope Metallic Alec is doing well 

I’d heard his mum through a magnet and soap powder into the bath when her washing machine failed 😂

Carl Fredrickson
Just now, Sir Craig Gordon said:

Yip that will be my gran 😂. Small world.

I used to see her stoating about before Covid. Hope she is doing well. 

been here before

I feel really bad if that's true cause its funny as **** 😂😂😂

100% true. If I could make up stories like that I wouldnt be posting in here. To be fair I laughed like **** for days after I was told.

The boy was brand new about it and found it amusing himself.