Last DVD bought at HMV Princes Street

rudi must stay

HMV hasn't been on Princes Street for a number of years now.

I stopped buying DVDs and Blu Rays (bar music ones) because I rarely watched them more than once.  I have the streaming subscriptions for TV that give me new content to watch.

10 minutes ago, highlandjambo3 said:

HMV = His Masters Voice………just a wee piece of useless information for the day 👍

99B9D4FC-4AB0-47B6-939D-B2CC8F966E18.jpeg

Do you know why it was called “His Masters Voice” though?

highlandjambo3
5 minutes ago, jambo89 said:

Do you know why it was called “His Masters Voice” though?

The record playing is his masters voice and, he can hear this through the gramophone speaker but seems confused about where his master actually is……….I think 

2 minutes ago, highlandjambo3 said:

The record playing is his masters voice and, he can hear this through the gramophone speaker but seems confused about where his master actually is……….I think 

Yeh that’s what I believe it to be. The sound was so clear he couldn’t tell the difference between “his masters voice” and gramophone.  

22 minutes ago, rudi must stay said:

This thread hasn't taken off as I wished it to

I think DVD & Blu Ray sales have nosedived since Netflix took off and a lot of people have given theirs away to clear space.

Maybe a change of direction to films watched in the cinema perhaps?  Mind you I've not been back since Covid!

I cant remember the last time I bought a DVD.  ?   Who needs them now ?  I just watch any fllm i like online. They all seem to be there. However haven't binned them like i did with my cds though ( charity shop) as I cant bare to really as they are all my favourite films and they fill a shelf and look quite impressive as I think ive got good taste in films. :) 

16 minutes ago, frankblack said:

I think DVD & Blu Ray sales have nosedived since Netflix took off and a lot of people have given theirs away to clear space.

Maybe a change of direction to films watched in the cinema perhaps?  Mind you I've not been back since Covid!

In the second hand shops they are around 50p now. 

15 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Exactly that. I got Buffalo 66 and Juno for £1 last week. 

Still kicking myself for not buying the ! Sopranos" full box set which was only £12 in a charity shop. !! even though i dont have a DVD player now. !

dobmisterdobster
1 hour ago, highlandjambo3 said:

HMV = His Masters Voice………just a wee piece of useless information for the day 👍

99B9D4FC-4AB0-47B6-939D-B2CC8F966E18.jpeg

As well as HMV. The His Master's Voice dog was also used as a mascot for RCA Records and the Victor Company of Japan (JVC).

I remember buying The Firm (Gary Oldman) for £17 in HMV. I had watched it years earlier with my sister when it by chance it came on TV. Absolutely loved it.

About 5 days later i was in and it was £4. Was seething like.

These shops took the piss big time. 

I have all the films I want on disc, dvd and blurays, couple of thousand probably. Minimal interest in new pictures. Last one in HMV, don't know. I remember the first two I bought in 99 or 00 in HMV, Reservoir Dogs and Spartacus 2 for £20. This was before Amazon etc. 

8 hours ago, JackLadd said:

I have all the films I want on disc, dvd and blurays, couple of thousand probably. Minimal interest in new pictures. Last one in HMV, don't know. I remember the first two I bought in 99 or 00 in HMV, Reservoir Dogs and Spartacus 2 for £20. This was before Amazon etc. 

Similar to me. I have most of my favourite films on DVD,  When i mean favourite i mean films i could easily watch time and again and never get bored of them.  " One flew over the cuckoos nest "  " The silence of the lambs" " Hannibal"  " The Grifters"  and many more 

adambraejambo

Last CD from Hmv was Good deeds and dirty rags.

I not sure the last Dvd but maybe Rattle and Hum from HMV.

The actual last Dvd I bought was this year actually I got the first 3 seasons of Twelve Monkeys but got the 4th season on Prime. It was cheaper to buy the Dvd than watch on Prime for seasons 1-3.