John Rankin - leaves to go to Hamilton ( updated )

mickycameron98

Footballfirst
2 hours ago, IveSeenTheLight said:

Did you go to the game?

Yes. 

I go to as many academy games as I can, so I'm at Riccarton most weekends watching all age groups.

Footballfirst

A friend of mine managed to get hold of this table which suggests that Hibs is the strongest side at the U18 age group, despite their mid-table position in the league, as they have several games in hand.  (Hearts goal difference is also wrong)

IMG-20211117-WA0000.thumb.jpg.f904c8e30e3f582156c0014eea032ada.jpg 

IveSeenTheLight
16 hours ago, Footballfirst said:

A friend of mine managed to get hold of this table which suggests that Hibs is the strongest side at the U18 age group, despite their mid-table position in the league, as they have several games in hand.  (Hearts goal difference is also wrong)

The football is competitive of course, but I never take too much from results or league tables.

As we know some teams are playing player up two / three years as part of their development.

I'd put my mortgage on it that non of the top teams will promote every single player into the First team, so whilst competitive, its still hugely about how best to develop those likely to make the breakthrough with the remaining players essentially support.

Hibs strength may simply be a false position if they are not playing up players such as we are.

Footballfirst
2 hours ago, IveSeenTheLight said:

The football is competitive of course, but I never take too much from results or league tables.

As we know some teams are playing player up two / three years as part of their development.

I'd put my mortgage on it that non of the top teams will promote every single player into the First team, so whilst competitive, its still hugely about how best to develop those likely to make the breakthrough with the remaining players essentially support.

Hibs strength may simply be a false position if they are not playing up players such as we are.

There is a carrot for the winners of the league in participating in the U19 version of the Europa League next season, as Rangers have done this season and Hamilton previously. 

It is up the clubs themselves how they develop their youngsters. Who is to say that Hibs haven't "played up" a few lads last season and are reaping the benefits this season.

The U18 team covers the two year band after U16. Aberdeen's lineup on Tuesday was made up of mainly 2005s (7 or 8 x U17s - I think Bavidge was their only 2006), so most were not "playing up" as you suggest, although they will have another year at that level.  Hearts started with a balanced side that was a mix of 2004s (5), 2005s (3) and 2006s (3). One of the Hearts U18s has already played a few games with the first team, but is back with the U18s following an injury. There is a reward and pathway there for the most talented players.   

All Hearts U19s are out on loan at the moment to SPFL or LL clubs. That seems to be the pathway Hearts are taking and the likely next step for this season's U18s.  

Both Rangers and Celtic have the added distraction of fielding U20 sides in the Lowland League, where you will find some of their better U17s and U18s. 

I don't think that any club should be criticised, or have their success downplayed, for winning a league, just because some clubs don't have great strength at a particular age group. 

Edited by Footballfirst

19 hours ago, Footballfirst said:

Quite a worrying GA stat 21 against.

On 17/11/2021 at 00:04, sassenach said:

Wouldn't that be more down to Joe Savage than Robbie?

Robbie is the manager, not a head coach remember. The reporting lines are different. 

20 hours ago, Footballfirst said:

Sheep struggling at that level as well.

IveSeenTheLight
1 hour ago, Footballfirst said:

There is a carrot for the winners of the league in participating in the U19 version of the Europa League next season, as Rangers have done this season and Hamilton previously. 

It is up the clubs themselves how they develop their youngsters. Who is to say that Hibs haven't "played up" a few lads last season and are reaping the benefits this season.

The U18 team covers the two year band after U16. Aberdeen's lineup on Tuesday was made up of mainly 2005s (7 or 8 x U17s - I think Bavidge was their only 2006), so most were not "playing up" as you suggest, although they will have another year at that level.  Hearts started with a balanced side that was a mix of 2004s (5), 2005s (3) and 2006s (3). One of the Hearts U18s has already played a few games with the first team, but is back with the U18s following an injury. There is a reward and pathway there for the most talented players.   

All Hearts U19s are out on loan at the moment to SPFL or LL clubs. That seems to be the pathway Hearts are taking and the likely next step for this season's U18s.  

Both Rangers and Celtic have the added distraction of fielding U20 sides in the Lowland League, where you will find some of their better U17s and U18s. 

I don't think that any club should be criticised, or have their success downplayed, for winning a league, just because some clubs don't have great strength at a particular age group. 

Good post, tanks.

I wasn't suggesting Aberdeen was playing the whole squad up, I was only aware of Alfie Bavidge being 15. I'm not aware of all the squads ages.

It's also a fair point about the reward carrot.

We all like to think that a successful youth team suggests that it will transition into a successful main team in the years to come, but its not the reality with many dropping into lower league football.

The ones playing up will be the ones they are more likely targeting to breakthrough.

I agree that none of the clubs should be criticised for performing well or question their policy of developing their youth. Each club will have their own strategy and targets for what is perceived to be success

Footballfirst

The U18s are currently playing their Youth Cup tie away to Inverurie.

They are 1-0 up at half time from a penalty by Mackenzie Kirk.

Edited by Footballfirst

3 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

I wonder if Callum Flatman's absence is an indication that he will be part of the first team squad at the weekend.

What position is he mate?

13 hours ago, Footballfirst said:

Centre Back

Has he been training with the first team? He was wanted down south a while back but hasn’t been near our match day squads. He’s quite a big guy aswell.

13 hours ago, Footballfirst said:

I wonder if Callum Flatman's absence is an indication that he will be part of the first team squad at the weekend.

I had thought the same. Halkett might still be a doubt and Moore is suspended. If isn't there or abouts now for at least the bench, when will he be?

What kind of player is Flatman? Would be good if we had a few players coming through that can start to get a run of games in the first team. 

• davemclaren changed the title to John Rankin - leaves to go to Hamilton ( updated )
16 minutes ago, Homme said:

A promotion for him. By all accounts he did well and was highly thought of at Hearts. 

Good luck I guess.

A step up in terms of responsibility and, given how shite Hamilton have been, the opportunity to make an impact. Good luck to him. 

Stevie Frail resigned from East Fife this morning. Coincidence? I think not. Get Shaggy back.

btw I'm aware Stevie Crawford went there yesterday so I'm (half) joking!

Good luck to him.

Hope Naismith does really well in the U18's. I think he has the potential to be our manager as and when.

Jambof3tornado
3 hours ago, blairdin said:

Big, big loss to us. Ranks is very good and very highly thought of across the game. 

This. Be interesting to see what level he can get to. Listened to him from the touchline and was always very impressed with how he communicated with youngsters.

Best of luck to him.

On 16/11/2021 at 14:32, mickycameron98 said:

Or the 'Squiggler' ...

AKA a couple of sh*t shots the keeper should have saved.

Thats what i think of,when i see him.

On 02/12/2021 at 13:14, Shaggy2 said:

Stevie Frail resigned from East Fife this morning. Coincidence? I think not. Get Shaggy back.

btw I'm aware Stevie Crawford went there yesterday so I'm (half) joking!

Hope no another east end of Glasgow xxxx

20 hours ago, rudi must stay said:

Hope he turns in to more than the cloggers they have been in recent seasons

Hope Hamilton sink without a trace - horrible stadium, horrible fans, horrible club!

rudi must stay
3 minutes ago, Thomaso said:

Hope Hamilton sink without a trace - horrible stadium, horrible fans, horrible club!

Are you ex Jambo Jason Thomson