John Rankin - leaves to go to Hamilton ( updated )

mickycameron98

mickycameron98

I totally forgot he was involved with Hearts and running the under 18's team. Doing really well this season so far and upto 2nd. Could have a rising star in the name of Bobby Mcluckie, the name alone is outstanding!

1 hour ago, mickycameron98 said:

the name alone is outstanding!

I once knew a guy named Dougie McLuckie who seemed to be one of the most unlucky guys I ever met, always having prangs with his car, breakdowns in the middle of nowhere, diy projects going wrong etc. Once, when we were gorge walking in the hills, we were climbing a waterfall, Dougie said he'd lead, about half way up he shouted down that "this is easy!". Right on cue he peeled off and plunged right into the freezing cold pool below. Once we were sure he was alright the rest of us broke down with laughter, which pissed him off no end. Not to mention the fact that he spent the rest of the day in soaking wet clothes. Good times.

Sorry for going completely off topic, but it was too good a memory not to tell.

Footballfirst
7 hours ago, mickycameron98 said:

I totally forgot he was involved with Hearts and running the under 18's team. Doing really well this season so far and upto 2nd. Could have a rising star in the name of Bobby Mcluckie, the name alone is outstanding!

Bobby is only 15 so can play for the U16s. He was in the Scotland training squad for the Victory Shield but didn't make the final cut.

IveSeenTheLight
7 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

Bobby is only 15 so can play for the U16s. He was in the Scotland training squad for the Victory Shield but didn't make the final cut.

The clubs like to play the boys up in years.

Aberdeen also have a young 15 year old (Alfie Bavidge) that's apparently doing well for the reserve / U18's 

Looks like he was in the Victory Shield squad along with Ewan Simpson from Hearts

Footballfirst
31 minutes ago, IveSeenTheLight said:

Aberdeen also have a young 15 year old (Alfie Bavidge) that's apparently doing well for the reserve / U18's 

Looks like he was in the Victory Shield squad along with Ewan Simpson from Hearts

Hearts have done it for years and continue to do so.

I watched Hearts U14's yesterday against Celtic.  Hearts had three U13s playing up a year.

For the record, Hearts won 4-3, oddly with all 7 goals scored in the middle one of the 3 x 30 minute periods.

Edited by Footballfirst

Tom Hardy’s Dug
1 hour ago, Footballfirst said:

I watched Hearts U14's yesterday against Celtic.  Hearts had three U13s playing up a year.

For the record, Hearts won 4-3, oddly with all 7 goals scored in the middle one of the 3 x 30 minute periods.

Robbie must have gone for a shit in that 30 mins 🙄

11 hours ago, mickycameron98 said:

What position does he play?

2 hours ago, rudi must stay said:

John was a very legitimate and excellent player 

Apart from his dive at ER 😏

4 hours ago, IveSeenTheLight said:

Why is this guy commenting on hearts youth players?

aberdeen games fair enough!

5 hours ago, Footballfirst said:

I watch a fair bit of the younger Academy teams, as I'm related to a coach - some of the youngest talent we have is frightening. 

Footballfirst
3 minutes ago, blairdin said:

I watch a fair bit of the younger Academy teams, as I'm related to a coach - some of the youngest talent we have is frightening. 

Yes.  The U12s (2010s) look to be the best of the bunch at the moment. The last four times I've watched them, they won all 4 games against Celtic, then the same against Rangers, Hamilton and Kilmarnock

21 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

Yes.  The U12s (2010s) look to be the best of the bunch at the moment. The last four times I've watched them, they won all 4 games against Celtic, then the same against Rangers, Hamilton and Kilmarnock

They're the team I watch most , they're unplayable at times. 

IveSeenTheLight
12 hours ago, heatonjambo said:

I love all things football and take an interest in seeing how young players develop, regardless of whether they play for Aberdeen or not.

So I'll keep an eye out for Bobby McLuckie and if he makes the breakthrough, I'll remember first hearing about him on here

22 hours ago, whodanny said:

I once knew a guy named Dougie McLuckie who seemed to be one of the most unlucky guys I ever met, always having prangs with his car, breakdowns in the middle of nowhere, diy projects going wrong etc. Once, when we were gorge walking in the hills, we were climbing a waterfall, Dougie said he'd lead, about half way up he shouted down that "this is easy!". Right on cue he peeled off and plunged right into the freezing cold pool below. Once we were sure he was alright the rest of us broke down with laughter, which pissed him off no end. Not to mention the fact that he spent the rest of the day in soaking wet clothes. Good times.

Sorry for going completely off topic, but it was too good a memory not to tell.

Great story 😊

Forever Hearts
12 hours ago, heatonjambo said:

Why wrong with that? He obviously takes an interest in young Scottish players, regardless of whether they play for Aberdeen or not.

1 hour ago, IveSeenTheLight said:

I love all things football and take an interest in seeing how young players develop, regardless of whether they play for Aberdeen or not.

So I'll keep an eye out for Bobby McLuckie and if he makes the breakthrough, I'll remember first hearing about him on here

Are you on any other clubs football forum? It's a bit weird you come on to the jambos kickback and start commenting on stuff what isn't even related to Aberdeen.  I wonder what the replies would be from a Hibs Celtic or Rangers posters to yourself. 

13 hours ago, heatonjambo said:

Strange and to have over 3k posts too on a team you don't supports forum it is a bit strange. 

IveSeenTheLight
1 minute ago, Stu_HMFC said:

Are you on any other clubs football forum? It's a bit weird you come on to the jambos kickback and start commenting on stuff what isn't even related to Aberdeen.  I wonder what the replies would be from a Hibs Celtic or Rangers posters to yourself. 

I am on some other forums (Kerrydale, Hibs.net, Follow Follow), but to be honest, this is the best opposition forum.

Some clubs football forums are non-existent

4 minutes ago, IveSeenTheLight said:

I am on some other forums (Kerrydale, Hibs.net, Follow Follow), but to be honest, this is the best opposition forum.

Some clubs football forums are non-existent

Yeah I have a look now and again at other clubs forums not a member on any. Some clubs don't even have a forum they normally just end up on pie and bovril slagging each other. 

2 minutes ago, Stu_HMFC said:

Yeah I have a look now and again at other clubs forums not a member on any. Some clubs don't even have a forum they normally just end up on pie and bovril slagging each other. 

From what I've seen some of them don't even have a swear filter. 

At least they can tell interlopers to **** off😂

I'm only joking actually. I enjoy the input from opposing fans. 

As long as they are open about who they are and don't take liberties 👍

Footballfirst
3 hours ago, IveSeenTheLight said:

Hearts U18s play Aberdeen at the Oriam this afternoon, 4:30pm k.o.

At the plot ceremony that I attended, Robbie mentioned he thinks Hearts will be lucky to retain JR for much longer as highly rated as coach and sure clubs will come in for him. 

IveSeenTheLight
22 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

Hearts U18s play Aberdeen at the Oriam this afternoon, 4:30pm k.o.

It would be an interesting game to watch. I used to love watching the reserves, but sadly often their games nowadays conflicts with my availability

mickycameron98
18 hours ago, Thomaso said:

Apart from his dive at ER 😏

Or the 'Squiggler' ...

AKA a couple of sh*t shots the keeper should have saved.

Footballfirst
6 hours ago, IveSeenTheLight said:

It would be an interesting game to watch. I used to love watching the reserves, but sadly often their games nowadays conflicts with my availability

Hearts won 3-2, with goals from Sandilands, Pollock and Kirk.  Bavidge scored both the wee lambs goals.

1 hour ago, Footballfirst said:

Hearts won 3-2, with goals from Sandilands, Pollock and Kirk.  Bavidge scored both the wee lambs goals.

Cheers.

jamboinglasgow

Does sound like the Under 18s having started the season with a team much younger then most teams struggled but they are developing and now doing well which can only be a positive.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Goals available on YouTube, our keeper will be relieved, conceding a bad 89th minute equaliser only for us to go back up the pitch and score immediately 

3 hours ago, Footballfirst said:

Where does that put us now in the U18 league standings FF?  I've tried looking online but cannot find a link, so if you have one that would be appreciated.

Footballfirst
10 minutes ago, RobNox said:

Where does that put us now in the U18 league standings FF?  I've tried looking online but cannot find a link, so if you have one that would be appreciated.

I'm afraid I don't have access to it. I was as surprised as anyone that we were second. I don't know who is top but I suspect it will be Rangers.

Hibs also have a good squad at that age group, but have had a lot of games postponed for various reasons, so could end up ahead of us.  I don't think we have played them as yet 

Edited by Footballfirst

11 hours ago, Pagey said:

At the plot ceremony that I attended, Robbie mentioned he thinks Hearts will be lucky to retain JR for much longer as highly rated as coach and sure clubs will come in for him. 

When people ask me why I haven't changed my mind from last season about Robbie, it's things like this. 

We need to find clear pathways for best prospects from the Academy to break into the first team set up and set them up for success to stay there. Mostly it'll be young players, but occasionally also coaches too.

Instead of waiting for JR to slip away to a rival, Robbie should be exploring how we can further utilise him.

47 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

That's from 2019/20

Yeah, I came across that table as well when I was looking for the current table, and it clearly looked well out of date.  Pretty poor stuff from the Cinch SPFL website.

1 hour ago, sassenach said:

Wouldn't that be more down to Joe Savage than Robbie?

Hush your mouth, it's obvious that if Rankin leaves it's all Robbie's fault.  Mind you, if we retain Rankin's services, then that's another feather in Joe's cap.

11 hours ago, Footballfirst said:

Is Kirk worth a shot in in the first team? He seems to score quite a lot 

Footballfirst
55 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

The goals were all well worked. I would like to have seen the Aberdeen goals too, as I think that their first may have been offside. Their second was just poor defending.

jamboinglasgow
Just now, Footballfirst said:

The goals were all well worked. I would like to have seen the Aberdeen goals too, as I think that their first may have been offside. Their second was just poor defending.

This has the Aberdeen goals, surprised the second Aberdeen goal was not given as a foul on the goalkeeper. 

12 hours ago, blairdin said:

When people ask me why I haven't changed my mind from last season about Robbie, it's things like this. 

We need to find clear pathways for best prospects from the Academy to break into the first team set up and set them up for success to stay there. Mostly it'll be young players, but occasionally also coaches too.

Instead of waiting for JR to slip away to a rival, Robbie should be exploring how we can further utilise him.

How do you know he isn't? 

IveSeenTheLight
18 hours ago, Footballfirst said:

Did you go to the game?

Oh, I see a video above, will have a wee look at that

IveSeenTheLight
2 hours ago, jamboinglasgow said:

This has the Aberdeen goals, surprised the second Aberdeen goal was not given as a foul on the goalkeeper. 

Clear penalty, ref was right not to penalise a goal ;)

Didn't change the result from your point of view. 

jamboinglasgow
7 minutes ago, IveSeenTheLight said:

Clear penalty, ref was right not to penalise a goal ;)

Didn't change the result from your point of view. 

Thats true.

To be fair to Aberdeen they have some good young players coming through.

• davemclaren changed the title to John Rankin - leaves to go to Hamilton ( updated )