Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth

Ainsley Harriott

Just now, Ked said:

No matter your views on the monarchy I think that the woman has carried her role with dignity .

That she was born into it and accepted it could be scrutinised.

Her offspring are nowhere near her.

Without knowing her I respect how she has carried herself.

Well said.

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Unknown user

• The Real Maroonblood

• Japan Jambo

• Longbaws

6 minutes ago, Ked said:

No matter your views on the monarchy I think that the woman has carried her role with dignity .

This. 100%. 

9 minutes ago, Ked said:

Good one, mate.  👍

GSTQ

7 hours ago, John Findlay said:

Give it a rest. Lots of people who believe in an independent Scotland have served in HM forces, myself being one of them. Eleven years Royal Navy 1979-1990. Being awarded the South Atlantic, with Rose ribbon, and General service medal Gulf with clasp.

My understanding is that Scotland will keep the monarch as head of state, in the same way Australia, Canada, and New Zealand do. Many Scots will still volunteer for HM forces, in the same way many from the Republic of Ireland still do to this day. If required I would gladly haul the ceremonial gun carriage(kept at Hms Excellent, Whale Island, Portsmouth), for HM state funeral as I was trained to do in 1986, as I was part of the Naval guard at the Cenotaph that year, although getting on for 59 years old, you never forget the training as it was drummed into you over and over again. Can you claim the same?

We've all been in the Navy before ;)

Edited by Negan

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo
13 hours ago, I P Knightley said:

It's the though of Bozo the Clown doing one of the eulogy speeches in Westminster Abbey that gives me the boak. Not that I'd watch him but I'd still know and be able to imagine it.

That's the part that will make it all worth it. Guaranteed comedy gold. Just need her favourite son up there, too.  :rofl:

Carl Fredrickson
11 hours ago, Ked said:

These are my thoughts too. I mind as a 7 year old being taken into Princes Street to see the Queen in a silver jubilee parade. As a kid I found it quite exciting. 34 years later I wouldnt class myself as a royalist, probably quite the opposite but I do have a lot of respect for the Queen. As others have said, she should have stepped back/down a while ago (how many 95 year olds still "work") but Charles IMO would have been a disaster as King. 

Quite refreshing to see that the OP in choosing that particular thread title acknowledges, like all true Scots, that this is our first monarch with the regnal name Elizabeth.

In addition, whilst viewing the monarchy as an outdated, unneeded entity, I can still garner respect for an elderly lady who appears not to be in the best of health.

12 hours ago, Norm said:

She'll be lucky to make Christmas. 

This has the potential to completely ruin Christmas!

This country is seriously going to lose its shit when Liz pegs it, going to be like Diana x 100...

The Mighty Thor
Just now, Craig_ said:

T

This country is seriously going to lose its shit when Liz pegs it, going to be like Diana x 100...

No i'm quite sure Liz will go from natural causes.

The last bastion of this out dated institution.

A lady who has served her country and fulfilled her role impeccably and without complaint.  Given her life to her role and I really respect her.

As soon as her time is up (sadly, seems soon) I wash my hands of the Royal family.

33 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

A lady who has served her country and fulfilled her role impeccably and without complaint.  Given her life to her role and I really respect her.

As soon as her time is up (sadly, seems soon) I wash my hands of the Royal family.

This is exactly where I am with the Royal family. Word for word what I would write.

53 minutes ago, Craig_ said:

This has the potential to completely ruin Christmas!

You  meant the mass media will " lose its shit" surely? Most people will still continue to get on with their day to day lives trying to make ends meet as per usual. 

35 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

Agreed,  It wont happen though as I predict the monarchy will rise in popularity due to her death. I really detest cheap sentiment. 

rudi must stay
42 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

Would you like to see a Hearts related royal family. Gary Locke as King?

5 minutes ago, rudi must stay said:

Would you like to see a Hearts related royal family. Gary Locke as King?

Robbo is the King of Hearts.

15 hours ago, Maple Leaf said:

Probably a reasonable prediction for anyone who is 95. :wink:

Aye, a proper modern-day Nostradamus, so he is. :)

14 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Willie Bauld is the King.

Saying he is the KIng brought back memories of my sisters playing skipping ropes and they used to sing a dittie about him to the beat  of their skipping ,  but it cant be repeated now due to it being of an offensive nature now. 

rudi must stay
32 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Saying he is the KIng brought back memories of my sisters playing skipping ropes and they used to sing a dittie about him to the beat  of their skipping ,  but it cant be repeated now due to it being of an offensive nature now. 

Type it in sudonymes 

Fxxx the SPFL
18 hours ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Personally, I think we'd struggle tbh and a part of the country will have passed away too. 

I think it would reinvigorate the Monarchy though and there would be a clamour to give the gig to William and Kate.

Rangers fans would be up for that lets miss out Charlie boy and get King Billy on the throne :whistling:

14 hours ago, Ked said:

Exactly this. She was born into it, it wasn't a career decision.

She's played that role impeccably.

I really don't mind the Royal Family but wouldn't be bothered if it was done away with either.

Its thieving, corrupt charlatans like Bojo and Sturgeon that I couldn't give a shit about if their health was failing. Not some elderly lady who's life was mapped out for her.

44 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Did the song happen to have the audacity to refer to Wille Bauld as male/man or something abhorrent like that?

11 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

Did the song happen to have the audacity to refer to Wille Bauld as male/man or something abhorrent like that?

No it referred to him being frugal with money 💰 it was a harmless Ditie back then as we didn’t understand it’s connotations as we were kids . 

22 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

No it referred to him being frugal with money 💰 it was a harmless Ditie back then as we didn’t understand it’s connotations as we were kids . 

Was part of it "lent his wife a pair of shoes"?

43 minutes ago, Ron Burgundy said:

Exactly this. She was born into it, it wasn't a career decision.

She's played that role impeccably.

I really don't mind the Royal Family but wouldn't be bothered if it was done away with either.

Its thieving, corrupt charlatans like Bojo and Sturgeon that I couldn't give a shit about if their health was failing. Not some elderly lady who's life was mapped out for her.

She had a choice as ably demonstrated by both her uncle and grandson.

4 minutes ago, Joey J J Jr Shabadoo said:

Correct.

That is like saying as a parent you have a choice to abandon your children and start a new life.  Of course you do but you just don't do it as it is your duty from birth.

23 hours ago, Tazio said:

Be just our luck if she pops her clogs over the Christmas break and the day off work is on a holiday day. I’m no great fan of he royals but surely time for her to give up doing appearances and so on, enjoy some peace and quiet in the time she has left. 

All she has to do is abdicate and pass the whole sorry mess onto big lugs. 

3 hours ago, i8hibsh said:

Excellent post.

Hopefully she will be the last monarch of the UK. I'll not shed any tears when she goes but will not gloat either. I'm sure there will be enough idiots on social media to cover both extreme ends of the monarchy spectrum. 

Just now, XB52 said:

Hopefully she will be the last monarch of the UK. I'll not shed any tears when she goes but will not gloat either. I'm sure there will be enough idiots on social media to cover both extreme ends of the monarchy spectrum. 

Doesn't bear thinking about, it'll be carnage........thank feck I'm not on any of that stuff.

19 minutes ago, Dirty Deeds said:

She had a choice as ably demonstrated by both her uncle and grandson.

Indeed, she's had the last 70 years to make that choice too, it's not like it was an on the spot decision she only had one opportunity to take.

15 hours ago, Ked said:

Its the only role she's ever known. She was bon into it. Yes, silver spoon if you like. They know no different. Dinny geez "its a shame" pish! She's never wanted a day in her life nor will her offspring or their offspring etc.

Country of sycophants!

I didn't see any disrespect on this thread. She's an old woman not wonderwoman! She is at the twilight of her years but lets be honest, he years have been better than most folks. Be sad when she passes but no more so than any other female human being that age.

Her position on the other hand...

20 minutes ago, Pans Jambo said:

Its the only role she's ever known. She was bon into it. Yes, silver spoon if you like. They know no different. Dinny geez "its a shame" pish! She's never wanted a day in her life nor will her offspring or their offspring etc.

Country of sycophants!

I didn't see any disrespect on this thread. She's an old woman not wonderwoman! She is at the twilight of her years but lets be honest, he years have been better than most folks. Be sad when she passes but no more so than any other female human being that age.

She's also been able to give it up for a life of simple luxury at any time.

I'm not feeling sorry for someone with those life choices.

McGlynn The Money
23 hours ago, John Findlay said:

Give it a rest. Lots of people who believe in an independent Scotland have served in HM forces, myself being one of them. Eleven years Royal Navy 1979-1990. Being awarded the South Atlantic, with Rose ribbon, and General service medal Gulf with clasp.

My understanding is that Scotland will keep the monarch as head of state, in the same way Australia, Canada, and New Zealand do. Many Scots will still volunteer for HM forces, in the same way many from the Republic of Ireland still do to this day. If required I would gladly haul the ceremonial gun carriage(kept at Hms Excellent, Whale Island, Portsmouth), for HM state funeral as I was trained to do in 1986, as I was part of the Naval guard at the Cenotaph that year, although getting on for 59 years old, you never forget the training as it was drummed into you over and over again. Can you claim the same?

Clicks on thread about the Queen, finds a post from John Findlay making it all about John Findlay. What a surprise...

24 minutes ago, Pans Jambo said:

Country of sycophants!

Great post . 

3 hours ago, i8hibsh said:

Robbo is the King of Hearts.

No, Willie Bauld is the King of Hearts.

Robbo is the Ace of Hearts.

4 hours ago, redjambo said:

Aye, a proper modern-day Nostradamus, so he is. :)

Thanks for the kind words.

If she doesn't hold on until June then I assume we lose the extra bank holiday for the jubilee, which would be a shame.

2 hours ago, McGlynn The Money said:

Clicks on thread about the Queen, finds a post from John Findlay making it all about John Findlay. What a surprise...

What have you done in life that is like Johns story worth reading about, or are you too ,modest, or of course that it might just be that safety is your motto in life and be critical in anonymity. As we say in Canada, Eh!

5 minutes ago, rudi must stay said:

Cleopatra coming at ya 

I've seen them 🤦‍♂️ 

To be fair they were the halftime act at Old Trafford, but even so, I could have left, or booed, or something.

19 hours ago, Ked said:

Agreed. Good post.

1 hour ago, Sooperstar said:

Thanks for the kind words.

If she doesn't hold on until June then I assume we lose the extra bank holiday for the jubilee, which would be a shame.

I've been a bit flippant about all of this but you're right. How many days off can Charles offer us?

It'll take 50 years to get the holidays back. FFS

maroonlegions

Could be..  Rich getting richer...   No welfare sate is coming, Tories ONE PARTY STATE..  Election boundaries prove it..