TYNECASTLE STADIUM UPGRADE POTENTIAL - UEFA category 4 granted ( updated/merged )

rickyjambo

1 hour ago, SectionFJambo said:

This land will be worth 3-5 million minimum alone. To use it as anything worthwhile double/treble that.  Not a hope in hell we have the cash for that and even if a benefactor bought the land were is the rest coming from? Doubt we'd be scraping together every £20 to decorate a new room a month if that was an option of even likely.

The property has been empty for ten years now - the work involved must be pretty expensive to bring it back to standard for the listed parts.

In terms of use - Student Flats/Flats all day long. Refurbish/use facade required for some flats then stick up a few blocks of new builds in the remaining land. There is literally thousands of homes within the same footprint of the stadium already - all perfectly mortgageable and insurable. The value in that land is as flats/student flats and the price will reflect that so even if we did have cash sitting we'd be priced out the market or massively overpay.

We've got what we need in terms of land, future planning etc. and landlocking isn't an issue at least now the old stand is gone and we have a new shiny one.

At a push they might stick a few shops on the ground floor to qualify mixed planning usage boxes or similar.

I’d be interested to know what you are basing your land valuation of £3 to £5 million on. Can you share that?

I’ve no idea what Edinburgh land prices are but I think an adjacent property / land of similar size (with a business based there) was sold in 2014 for around £2.5 million!

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• davemclaren

• Sooks

• Watt-Zeefuik

• OTT

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Ricardo Quaresma said:

If we don't buy it, we sign Tynecastle's death warrant

Build on the same footprint? WHAT?

That land must be for stadium expansion

Agreed!

If another business is built on this land it will effectively ‘land-lock’ Tynecastle for a long time.

If Hearts don’t have access to this land and other adjacent land (behind Wheatfield & Wheatfield / Roseburn corner) then it will restrict any necessary future expansion and thus ultimately make a move from Tynecastle necessary at some date in the future.

10 hours ago, Ricardo Quaresma said:

If we don't buy it, we sign Tynecastle's death warrant

Build on the same footprint? WHAT?

That land must be for stadium expansion

I totally agree with this.  Buying this land would be our most important signing of the 21st century.

It's the difference between a totally landlocked Tynecastle and having the space to expand the ground to whatever size suits our needs in the coming decades.

Ricardo Quaresma
10 minutes ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

Last sale in March 2014, the consideration was £600,000

Thanks Carl

Not as much as some people's estimates

34 minutes ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

Last sale in March 2014, the consideration was £600,000

If that is even colse to the current valuation, we should absolutely be looking to buy it. I'd be amazed if the club aren't already looking in to it.

Carl Fredrickson

In the current financial climate and potential planning issues, I dont think the current valuation will be as large as some may think. The cost of conserving what needs to be kept and developing the rest will be substantial IMO. 

I would love it if we as a club bought the area and used it for something that would provide revenue for us but also of benefit to the local community, 

20 minutes ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

In the current financial climate and potential planning issues, I dont think the current valuation will be as large as some may think. The cost of conserving what needs to be kept and developing the rest will be substantial IMO. 

I would love it if we as a club bought the area and used it for something that would provide revenue for us but also of benefit to the local community, 

If we were able to buy it, then I'd be making it a car park so that it pays its way until we need to think about redeveloping the stadium again.

Carl Fredrickson
5 minutes ago, Beast Boy said:

If we were able to buy it, then I'd be making it a car park so that it pays its way until we need to think about redeveloping the stadium again.

I can see the benefits of a car park for match days but would like to see the area used more often. Re ground redevelopment, I am unsure if this would happen in my lifetime unless we have a large increase in demand for tickets over a number of years. 

1 hour ago, Beast Boy said:

If that is even colse to the current valuation, we should absolutely be looking to buy it. I'd be amazed if the club aren't already looking in to it.

They certainly are looking at it.

27 minutes ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

I can see the benefits of a car park for match days but would like to see the area used more often. Re ground redevelopment, I am unsure if this would happen in my lifetime unless we have a large increase in demand for tickets over a number of years. 

Think the stands have a shelf-life though, and it may be that when times are less tight, we look to build something more than just a basic stand to replace the older ones. The Wheatfield especially, I'd like to see redeveloped in time, so that it has facilities at the back that face on to the community pitch. They will need replaced eventually, even if it is just a like for like construction of basic stands, so it would be sensible to have as much scope as possible to build and not be penned in on the Roseburn side. I only suggest a car park in the meantime, because it would bring in revenue, and not cost as much to build. Then when we do have to redevelop, it won't cost as much to clear the land.

2 minutes ago, the general said:

They certainly are looking at it.

You would certainly hope so. Do you know his for a fact?

14 minutes ago, Beast Boy said:

Having some parking would let us train at Tynecastle again and would save us a fortune on whatever we're paying to use the Oriam (my guess is a lot). 

We've got the outdoor and indoor space already - the community pitches would become our training pitches, and the offices/shop/changing rooms etc inside the Wheatfield stand would become our changing areas / gym / canteen and all of that. All we need is somewhere for the players to park! 

Although earnings would probably be quite low, there is the potential for paid parking on matchdays and paid public parking on non-matchdays.  

1 minute ago, Batistuta87 said:

Having some parking would let us train at Tynecastle again and would save us a fortune on whatever we're paying to use the Oriam (my guess is a lot). 

We've got the outdoor and indoor space already - the community pitches would become our training pitches, and the offices/shop/changing rooms etc inside the Wheatfield stand would become our changing areas / gym / canteen and all of that. All we need is somewhere for the players to park! 

Although earnings would probably be quite low, there is the potential for paid parking on matchdays and paid public parking on non-matchdays.  

I actually don't think the earnings from paid public parking 15 minutes walk from Prince's Street would be as low as you think either.

Jambo, Goodbye

Could build our own World of Football. Rent out the pitches unless we need indoor training for our squads. 

That's an income 52 weeks a year. 

1 minute ago, Famous 1874 said:

Certainly hope we are interested. Wonder if Ann is trying to charm the benefactors. 

Don't think she needs to do that, as they are clearly friends, and they have already stumped up millions towards the Main Stand.

scott herbertson

1 hour ago, Beast Boy said:

1 hour ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

Although a car park would indeed make some money I doubt very much we would get planning permission for it.

I would very much like to see us getting it but the only options to me seem to be:

* buy it and sit on it (expensive, and imagine the moaning on here if we have an annual outlay which could have bought a player)

* buy it with a developer involved and build flats plus keep a strip for enlarging Tynie - a big project to take on

32 minutes ago, Beast Boy said:

I actually don't think the earnings from paid public parking 15 minutes walk from Prince's Street would be as low as you think either.

Yeah if we opened it up to the public. I'm not sure it would be big enough. If we moved ALL training to Tynecastle then there's every possibility that we would need additional training space as well as parking for players and non playing staff. Looking at Tynecastle on Google Maps now it looks like the Community part is only 1 pitch rather than the two I thought it was. If the first team / Reserves / U19s were all training at the same time then we would need another pitch. 

Edited by Batistuta87

Looking at the footprint, there would seem to be ample room for a football pitch. 

If the part/facade of the old school building that faces the street needs to be retained due to it being listed, it will need to be incorporated into a design. I'd love to see us construct a first team training and sport science facility in Gorgie. 

16 minutes ago, scott herbertson said:

Although a car park would indeed make some money I doubt very much we would get planning permission for it.

I would very much like to see us getting it but the only options to me seem to be:

* buy it and sit on it (expensive, and imagine the moaning on here if we have an annual outlay which could have bought a player)

* buy it with a developer involved and build flats plus keep a strip for enlarging Tynie - a big project to take on

You work in that sort of industry don’t you, planning and council etc? You’ll obviously know a lot more about these things than me. Can I ask then, why would we not get permission for a car park?

1 minute ago, Batistuta87 said:

Yeah if we opened it up to the public. I'm not sure it would be big enough. If we moved ALL training to Tynecastle then there's every possibility that we would need additional training space as well as parking. 

I think what Scott said about keeping a strip of land for future development makes sense. The rest could be used for building something that would make the club money.

King Of The Cat Cafe
45 minutes ago, Beast Boy said:

That is a bit optimistic in my experience.  Fifteen minutes to Haymarket and another 15 to the end of Princes Street is my rule of thumb.

Admittedly, Olympic walker may be able to reduce those times...

scott herbertson
3 minutes ago, Beast Boy said:

You work in that sort of industry don’t you, planning and council etc? You’ll obviously know a lot more about these things than me. Can I ask then, why would we not get permission for a car park?

I think what Scott said about keeping a strip of land for future development makes sense. The rest could be used for building something that would make the club money.

Hi Beast Boy - I retired about 5 years ago, but worked for councils in England before that. Veteran of many planning committees  (listening to some interminable planning debates which would go on from 7.30pm to 1am often - I don't miss that part of my job!)  and building projects (mostly leisure centres, libraries etc ).

Car Parking is a huge issue for  any development these days. All councils are committed for environmental reasons  to  reducing car use and encouraging other forms of transport. So they all have planning guidance which tries to limit it in urban areas. To some extent we saw that with the new main stand.

Any planning application for a car park would need to demonstrate why  one was needed ,  and that would be a huge hurdle given that the council is committed to reducing car traffic in and into edinburgh,. Any proposal would also have to go out for consultation and you can bet that there would be many objections both from local residents (increased traffic down their streets, lowering their property values etc)  and from environmental bodies.

While we know it would be well used, I doubt we'd get permission to build it.

There are planning guidance notes available  eg here  - https://www.edinburgh.gov.uk/directory-record/1146191/planning-guidance-parking-standards   but I wouldn't recommend them as light reading, unless you are isolating and want to get top sleep easier

12 minutes ago, King Of The Cat Cafe said:

That is a bit optimistic in my experience.  Fifteen minutes to Haymarket and another 15 to the end of Princes Street is my rule of thumb.

Admittedly, Olympic walker may be able to reduce those times...

Yeah, 15 minutes to Haymarket is probably more accurate. I used to live on Gorgie Road, and walk in to town frequently. Definitely took me less than half an hour to get to Shandwick Pl though. 👍

14 hours ago, Heartsofgold said:

I doubt any developer will get permission to build residential housing while those ethanol tanks are in such close proximity.

I think the changes to the COMAH are significant in terms of the sale.

Guessing the land value has risen considerably given about 90% of the area can now be used for almost anything (see the extract below).

Not sure what the "changing circumstances with neighbouring properties" is that is being referred to. I wonder if the distillery bought the land knowing it was priced low due to the restrictions created by their own facility, remedied some of these issues and can now sell at a greater value due to the subsequent changed Regulations. Would make good business sense.

Extract -

However, due to changing circumstances within neighbouring properties, these zones have been reassessed and the majority of the site now sits outwith the consultation zone. An area on the western boundary of the site is located within the Inner and Mid Zones (red and green), while the majority of the site is Outer Zone or unaffected. In the Outer Zone, all but the most sensitive of developments are likely to be acceptable, this includes residential and mixed uses of notable scale.

Therefore, the majority of the site lies outwith the HSE consultation zones and will not require to be assessed by CEC or HSE in the context of the Control of Major Accident Hazards (COMAH) Regulations, provided any subsequent planning application takes cognisance of the Outer Zone in terms of the uses and scale proposed.

Equally, looking at the diagram that accompanies the extract above I wonder if the restrictions hat were muted before on how much we could increase our capacity will also now have been relaxed!

16 hours ago, Craig_ said:

No reason why we couldn't buy a small chunk of the land for potential expansion of the Roseburn in years to come.

And by the way, it's a ****ing distillery, not a brewery!

They are not selling it in "chunks".

If we're unable to get the land, I'd be absolutely gutted and pretty disillusioned. 

If all our ambition is as a club is to sit pretty with out circa <20K every other week then it doesn't look good. At least by buying the land there is a statement of 'we're building something here' (literally :D ). Personally, I'm quite sick of losing our best youngsters because our contracts aren't competitive. Building for the future gets us a step closer to actually challenging the OF. 

Yes, its absolutely an expensive undertaking, but I firmly believe we could be so much bigger than we are. Losing out on that land is effectively landlocking ourselve s into 20k as it cripples any potential expansion of the roseburn and likely has a detrimental impact on the wheatfield too. We made a decision to stay at Tynecastle, so in my eyes its imperative that we make sure we will always be at tynecastle and not forced into a move because further expansion is impossible. 

We need to be pushing towards 25-30k. The way Scottish football works, that means we're looking at 6 full houses out of 18 home games, with another 2 against the dons that will attract a good support. If our season is going well and there is a bit of momentum, then there is no reason why we can't be getting low-mid twenties initially. Once we do that, then we create a gap in revenue between ourselves, Hibs & Aberdeen. If we can do that, then 3rd becomes much easier to lockdown consistently and perhaps allow us to look above rather than below. 

If a benefactor fancies having a stand named after them then this is probably the time!

3 hours ago, OTT said:

If we're unable to get the land, I'd be absolutely gutted and pretty disillusioned. 

If all our ambition is as a club is to sit pretty with out circa <20K every other week then it doesn't look good. At least by buying the land there is a statement of 'we're building something here' (literally :D ). Personally, I'm quite sick of losing our best youngsters because our contracts aren't competitive. Building for the future gets us a step closer to actually challenging the OF. 

Yes, its absolutely an expensive undertaking, but I firmly believe we could be so much bigger than we are. Losing out on that land is effectively landlocking ourselve s into 20k as it cripples any potential expansion of the roseburn and likely has a detrimental impact on the wheatfield too. We made a decision to stay at Tynecastle, so in my eyes its imperative that we make sure we will always be at tynecastle and not forced into a move because further expansion is impossible. 

We need to be pushing towards 25-30k. The way Scottish football works, that means we're looking at 6 full houses out of 18 home games, with another 2 against the dons that will attract a good support. If our season is going well and there is a bit of momentum, then there is no reason why we can't be getting low-mid twenties initially. Once we do that, then we create a gap in revenue between ourselves, Hibs & Aberdeen. If we can do that, then 3rd becomes much easier to lockdown consistently and perhaps allow us to look above rather than below. 

If a benefactor fancies having a stand named after them then this is probably the time!

My kinda post, and my kinda thinking.

8 hours ago, AndyMcI said:

I think the changes to the COMAH are significant in terms of the sale.

Guessing the land value has risen considerably given about 90% of the area can now be used for almost anything (see the extract below).

Not sure what the "changing circumstances with neighbouring properties" is that is being referred to. I wonder if the distillery bought the land knowing it was priced low due to the restrictions created by their own facility, remedied some of these issues and can now sell at a greater value due to the subsequent changed Regulations. Would make good business sense.

Extract -

However, due to changing circumstances within neighbouring properties, these zones have been reassessed and the majority of the site now sits outwith the consultation zone. An area on the western boundary of the site is located within the Inner and Mid Zones (red and green), while the majority of the site is Outer Zone or unaffected. In the Outer Zone, all but the most sensitive of developments are likely to be acceptable, this includes residential and mixed uses of notable scale.

Therefore, the majority of the site lies outwith the HSE consultation zones and will not require to be assessed by CEC or HSE in the context of the Control of Major Accident Hazards (COMAH) Regulations, provided any subsequent planning application takes cognisance of the Outer Zone in terms of the uses and scale proposed.

Equally, looking at the diagram that accompanies the extract above I wonder if the restrictions hat were muted before on how much we could increase our capacity will also now have been relaxed!

Do you play fantasy football, to be quite honest we come out of this covid crisis with our football club intact that's a result, we don't have the spare £3m est required for this.

4 hours ago, OTT said:

Doubt we'll need bigger in my lifetime but if we did wouldn't it be possible to put a 2nd tier on the main stand (space wise) than attempting to do something with the Roseburn. There's still a section of distillery land behind the Roseburn it's not all the old school grounds. When we opted to stay at Tynecastle it was always going to be the case we'd struggle to expand the stadium. 

Edited by Deans Jambo

On 22/09/2020 at 20:16, scott herbertson said:

Wimbledon Grounds exterior, computer generated image intended for illustrative purposes only, ©Galliard Homes.

The new Wimbledon Stadium - that's flats on the front -

IA lot depends on the property market  - I don't think there will be many new developments planned for a few years as money for mortgages is going to be tight.

Agree with this. Flats have been built in the last 20 years on land which was once Easter Road's east terrace. It's easily possible - as others have said, ethanol tanks would likely be a bigger stumbling block. 

However, all that being said, you have to wonder how long NBD will want to remain on their current site. The facilities have to be dated and a new purpose built site out of town, must be tempting when they could in theory sell the current land for a decent return.  

I’d say that the acquisition of the school is important (vital?) to our long term development. 
We’re quite restricted with the space available to us, and this would give us options for the future.

I can't but help think some fans need a bit of realism. Our stadium and footprint is as big as we need it to be. Of course I am sure we could find something to do with the land however not sure it's necessary or good value for money. We aren't even fully using the facilities we have.

The brewery will not be there  forever...20 years down the line hearts were to get hold of the  brewey..turning it into the academy...tynecastle school, gym ...flats for the players to rent wee hotel ...

Edited by taylor75

Could maybe build ourselves an airport too so players coming into sign can check right into the hotel for a good nights sleep before signing talks in the morning.

6 minutes ago, SectionFJambo said:

Could maybe build ourselves an airport too so players coming into sign can check right into the hotel for a good nights sleep before signing talks in the morning.

Land the private jets on the western approach road ;)

6 hours ago, OTT said:

I like the idea of a larger School End stand  with Hospitality facilities, so that the Directors of scum Clubs have the opportunity to sit,  in amongst their own.
Think as well  Health and Safety restrictions will be greatly diminished,  once  we (regrettably) leave the EEC, by the current UK government.

16 hours ago, scott herbertson said:

I may be wrong but my understanding is that the buildings on the site are listed. I'm no expert but would this not make demolition and putting new constructions on the site extremely difficult if not impossible. 

The Council document has disappeared from their website but there was an agreement back in about 2007 between Hearts, the Council and the North British distillery about joint funding of moving the whisky stored.  At the time the agreement was for Hearts and the Council to shoulder £1.8m equally between them.  All tied into the previous stand redevelopment pie in the sky hotel idea/nursery sale/Tynecastle High sale.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/h/heart_of_midlothian/6292853.stm

4 hours ago, Libertarian said:

I may be wrong but my understanding is that the buildings on the site are listed. I'm no expert but would this not make demolition and putting new constructions on the site extremely difficult if not impossible. 

Only one part is listed as B status. 

10 hours ago, Lfhearts said:

Do you play fantasy football, to be quite honest we come out of this covid crisis with our football club intact that's a result, we don't have the spare £3m est required for this.

Not sure if you quoted my post by mistake?

At no point did I suggest we purchase the land. I was responding to a post that noted getting planning permission for residential would be difficult and in my response I noted this issue has probably been mostly resolved. i.e. Its more likely a developer would buy it.

scott herbertson
4 hours ago, Libertarian said:

Would make it more difficult, but not impossible. Buildings can be de-listed on application or can be demolished if there is a persuasive argument.

As an example I understand West Lothian council is supporting the demolition of parts of Bangour hospital (B listed) for a mixed development to include housing

41 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Only one part is listed as B status. 

Thanks for that. Hopefully, we can get this area for future stadium development. I think that once we are over the current pandemic that moves towards cross border leagues and competitions could move quite quickly and which would hopefully see us playing in a much more attractive league thus creating more interest and bigger crowds.

5 hours ago, Libertarian said:

There's all sorts of ways of getting around that, even with buildings that are listed higher than the old school. Take the old GPO for example. They literally built an entire new builing inside the facade shell of the old one:

https://www.building.co.uk/focus/neat-trick/3032969.article

Or the changing face of the Edinburgh Meat Market, where they demolished everything except the arched entrance and moved it a bit further down the street:

https://canmore.org.uk/site/332673/edinburgh-fountainbridge-edinburgh-meat-market-archway?display=image

GPO.jpg

GPO2.jpg

meat market.jpg

fat sams.jpg

Meat market gate.jpg

1 hour ago, Lfhearts said:

Am sure we would have been approached for a private sale if we wanted it, as club has a close relationship with distillery.

This is a fair point - quite possible that other issues (relegation) has meant we've declined to purchase the land.

1 hour ago, Libertarian said:

Thanks for that. Hopefully, we can get this area for future stadium development. I think that once we are over the current pandemic that moves towards cross border leagues and competitions could move quite quickly and which would hopefully see us playing in a much more attractive league thus creating more interest and bigger crowds.

Guess the question is - is FoH interested in this ? Has anyone from FoH suggested it would be an option ?

So we should buy it “just in case”.........

I don’t think we’ve had average attendances of over 20k in 50 years.....and only a handful of times has it been over 25k in our entire history.

Our stadium size is perfectly adequate and the need for expansion is highly unlikely.

Edited by DH1986

4 minutes ago, DH1986 said:

So we should buy it “just in case”.........

I don’t think we’ve had average attendances of over 20k in 50 years.....and only a handful of times has it been over 25k in our entire history.

Our stadium size is perfectly adequate and the need for expansion is highly unlikely.

Our crowds have risen in recent years, and there's absolutely nothing to suggest they will not continue to do so. I hope that the people who are in charge of these things at the club are not as short sighted.

• davemclaren changed the title to TYNECASTLE STADIUM UPGRADE POTENTIAL - UEFA category 4 granted ( updated/merged )
  • Maple Leaf changed the title to TYNECASTLE STADIUM UPGRADE POTENTIAL?