TYNECASTLE STADIUM UPGRADE POTENTIAL - UEFA category 4 granted ( updated/merged )

rickyjambo

Guest ToqueJambo

It's perfect. Best ground in Scotland when full by a country mile. Just listen to how impressed the players who come up from England are. Our focus should simply be on filling it for all games.

Agree with others, I want us to play all our European ties at Tynie, especially if we get one of the big boys. We'd have a chance of enjoying an edge at Tynie that we simply wouldn't get at Murrayfield.

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• davemclaren

• Sooks

• Watt-Zeefuik

• OTT

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, FarmerTweedy said:

If we choose the latter option, what would we do with the other £14.9m?

:HeartsManspotrun:

1 hour ago, bigsuperslim1874 said:

While I know in the past we needed extra money etc I just hate the great European nights we have missed by playing at Murrayfield….so many games we drew/lost which could have been won by playing at a raucous Tynie. 😤

Correct , murrayfield is shite for football , especially euro ties....

Byyy The Light

Get if filled consistently. Get safe standing in. Get a massive fans bar in Gorgie suite. Fit out every space to make it as fan friendly and useful as possible. Bring back firework Phil’s fire machine hingwys.

In short, make it an experience like no other in Scottish football. Don’t need a bigger stadium just now. Plenty more cost effective ways to make more money short and medium term.

Most importantly, get a team on the park that will destroy teams every week like we did on Saturday.

16 hours ago, chrisyboy7 said:

Does anyone on this forum know or roughly know what can be achieved with our wonderful stadium. The club will know doubt grow steadily but can the stadium keep up......I love tyncastle never want to leave.....But can we make it bigger or not.....Currently just over 20k capacity....But in reality its not is it......The segregation needed is around a 600 seat loss..... along with various other parts of the ground that seem to be closed off at some games. 

The club have came so far and the new stand is an unbelievable achievement indeed even though i'm sure we all wish it was a few thousand bigger. I have since learned that it was the amazing Edinburgh council planning department that held it to the 7200 approx capacity....i could be wrong though.

a steady successful Hearts will only lead to a rise in demand for both home and away fans......There is so much potential income to be made long term....But is it possible to do so?

Fire away.........

Our home attendance took a boost when the Russian waltzed into town. Previously our capacity was very seldom challenged and our present limit is about right, barring any "new era" of success.

Thanks for all the contributions to this thread..... I knew it would be popular as it would be good to know if the club does have any options available for an increase in capacity.......I guess maybe the club hold all the answers...

5 minutes ago, Section Q said:

Our home attendance took a boost when the Russian waltzed into town. Previously our capacity was very seldom challenged and our present limit is about right, barring any "new era" of success.

My i point out that just under 21k applied for a season ticket that year in 2005

2 hours ago, 1971fozzy said:

100%

2 hours ago, 1971fozzy said:

100%

Tyncastle is our home and should remain so.    It will hopefully hold a little more fans one day watching a successful Hearts team.

1 hour ago, jamboinglasgow said:

I agree with you about FoH, its an extra source of income that many clubs dont have which can be ideal for investment in the club or infrastructure. I understand people arguing for it to be used to buy players but if the club is doing its job in recruiting and selling players on for much more while running in budget then its not really needed. 

As for Tynecastle, I agree with others there is no need to expand at the moment, we are not seeing more demand than seats, we have plenty of space for hospitality (I mean we have a whole floor in the new Stand which is a massive space still to be used.) But I would like the club to have long term plans drawing up if that was to change. I do think we have probably expanded Tynecastle as far as we can as we are locked in around us. The distillery is not going to move, the school is going to be turned into Student accomdation. They will never knock down the tenement buildings around the stadium. If things go really well and the club really grows in size and fanbase, we may face a tough decision, stay at  20,000 capacity or move out of Gorgie to build a new stadium.

More money for the player budget isn't really needed, said no football club, ever.

Personally I don't get the fascination with ringfencing this money for infrastructure. We're a football club, why wouldn't we spend it on football players, or just add it to the general budget?

Guest ToqueJambo
8 minutes ago, chrisyboy7 said:

My i point out that just under 21k applied for a season ticket that year in 2005

Glory hunters. Where are they now? We'll never see sustained capacity crowds but we will see crowds boosted to capacity every decent season.

1 hour ago, damo said:

Was there talk of the Wheatfield only having a shelf life of 30 years or am I dreaming that. (What actually is it that dictates the shelf

life? Looks in decent shape to me) If that could be rebuilt further back to widen pitch (back to 68m) and add another 3/4K then I think that would cater for demand in the mid term (especially if we restrict Celtic and rangers to 1 or 2 sections of the school end .

The main structure of the Wheatfield ie. steel and concrete, will last for another 50 years at least.

What will need replaced through time is the seats, plumbing fixtures, decoration, electrical wiring, etc.

Guest ToqueJambo
1 minute ago, Smithee said:

More money for the player budget isn't really needed, said no football club, ever.

Personally I don't get the fascination with ringfencing this money for infrastructure. We're a football club, why wouldn't we spend it on football players, or just add it to the general budget?

I've come round to this way of thinking after initially being against it for reasons I can't remember. If we need an extra 500K for example to tie down Woodburn, Cochrane and Taylor Moore this season, or bring in someone like Ryan Gauld (if he wants to play in a proper league again) to replace say Woodburn next year that would be a great use of the money (and a great potential investment). I don't think we should advertise this though. If agents get a sniff there's more money lying around they ask former money.

Just now, ToqueJambo said:

Glory hunters. Where are they now? We'll never see sustained capacity crowds but we will see crowds boosted to capacity every decent season.

WTAF......This happens to every club......If things are really good, more people want to watch......We almost won the league and if the banking crisis had never happened who knows where we would be.....If the club is run properly and to a high standard we will grow......its that simple.....

Guest ToqueJambo
1 minute ago, chrisyboy7 said:

WTAF......This happens to every club......If things are really good, more people want to watch......We almost won the league and if the banking crisis had never happened who knows where we would be.....If the club is run properly and to a high standard we will grow......its that simple.....

That's why they're known as glory hunters, fair-weather fans... whatever you like. Every club as you say has supporters who only want to experience the good times. You can't spend millions on a stadium just in case they decide to turn up though.

Edited by ToqueJambo

That's why they're known as glory hunters, fair-weather fans... whatever you like. Every club as you say has supporters who only want to experience the good times.

It really doesnt matter as this is normal.....nut you can see already that the club is doing things better and with the football being better the place will be sold out soon for every home game.....The people that where there on Sat will all go to the next game and a few more on top.....Its a great position to be in.......The club has bee poor and in decline for 5ish years.....Yet still managed good crowds......The income the club has lost over the years due to limited capacity is scary. 

The demand for tickets only needs to rise by 10% and the ground is too small.....This is for category B games only. It already is to small for A games...

JimboJambo1874
6 hours ago, chrisyboy7 said:

Does anyone on this forum know or roughly know what can be achieved with our wonderful stadium. The club will know doubt grow steadily but can the stadium keep up......I love tyncastle never want to leave.....But can we make it bigger or not.....Currently just over 20k capacity....But in reality its not is it......The segregation needed is around a 600 seat loss..... along with various other parts of the ground that seem to be closed off at some games. 

The club have came so far and the new stand is an unbelievable achievement indeed even though i'm sure we all wish it was a few thousand bigger. I have since learned that it was the amazing Edinburgh council planning department that held it to the 7200 approx capacity....i could be wrong though.

a steady successful Hearts will only lead to a rise in demand for both home and away fans......There is so much potential income to be made long term....But is it possible to do so?

Fire away.........

Catch 22. We have to ambitious. At the same time we have to realistic and cautious with spending.  Perhaps a minor capacity increase in tandem with improving existing facilities overall. I don't think there is any call to add thousands of extra seats quite yet. Hearing myself say that sounds a bit defeatist. Really torn. In my dreams we've got 30,000+ full most of the time. The problem is, in the real world, even if you add 2,000 extra seats, are we seriously going to fill the stadium against Ross County or St Mirren? What budget is realistically available? I hate to overstretch only to see empty seats week in, week out. Improvements to existing facilities would be great however. 

1 minute ago, JimboJambo1874 said:

Catch 22. We have to ambitious. At the same time we have to realistic and cautious with spending.  Perhaps a minor capacity increase in tandem with improving existing facilities overall. I don't think there is any call to add thousands of extra seats quite yet. Hearing myself say that sounds a bit defeatist. Really torn. In my dreams we've got 30,000+ full most of the time. The problem is, in the real world, even if you add 2,000 extra seats, are we seriously going to fill the stadium against Ross County or St Mirren? What budget is realistically available? I hate to overstretch only to see empty seats week in, week out. Improvements to existing facilities would be great however. 

I agree with you but the question is can we grow the ground if required....and trust me it will be too small quicker than you think......Maybe the club could tell is what's possible..

Guest ToqueJambo
Just now, chrisyboy7 said:

The demand for tickets only needs to rise by 10% and the ground is too small.....This is for category B games only. It already is to small for A games...

We'll always have that demand in good seasons. The problem is the 2-3 meh or poor seasons we inevitably have in a typical 5 year period. There's also an argument that having a capacity like we have now encourages ST sales. A bigger stadium might see more people switch to being walk-ins if they know there's always likely to be space.

JimboJambo1874
1 hour ago, ToqueJambo said:

It's perfect. Best ground in Scotland when full by a country mile. Just listen to how impressed the players who come up from England are. Our focus should simply be on filling it for all games.

Agree with others, I want us to play all our European ties at Tynie, especially if we get one of the big boys. We'd have a chance of enjoying an edge at Tynie that we simply wouldn't get at Murrayfield.

Agree. Murrayfield was a means to an end because of the circumstances at the time. It's far from ideal and I think any return should be avoided. Which brings us back to increasing capacity. It's a gamble and, yes it would be great for the bigger games, but I'd be concerned for all other matches. Have you watched Birmingham City home games on tv? Big city, but St Andrews is half empty most of the time.

Guest ToqueJambo
1 minute ago, JimboJambo1874 said:

Agree. Murrayfield was a means to an end because of the circumstances at the time. It's far from ideal and I think any return should be avoided. Which brings us back to increasing capacity. It's a gamble and, yes it would be great for the bigger games, but I'd be concerned for all other matches. Have you watched Birmingham City home games on tv? Big city, but St Andrews is half empty most of the time.

Usually everyone who wants a ticket can get a ticket for Tynecastle for big games, certainly regulars can. A night like Bayern Munich would have been totally different at Murrayfield. These nights are the reward for people who go week in week out.

We'll always have that demand in good seasons. The problem is the 2-3 meh or poor seasons we inevitably have in a typical 5 year period. There's also an argument that having a capacity like we have now encourages ST sales. A bigger stadium might see more people switch to being walk-ins if they know there's always likely to be space.

Are you saying we shouldn't bother then as might be crap....why not look at it the other way lol.....the extra income is the difference in keeping our good players longer and getting a better fee....Next season if this continues this will be talked about in the boardroom when they start turning people away....

Guest ToqueJambo
15 minutes ago, chrisyboy7 said:

Are you saying we shouldn't bother then as might be crap....why not look at it the other way lol.....the extra income is the difference in keeping our good players longer and getting a better fee....Next season if this continues this will be talked about in the boardroom when they start turning people away....

That's the kicker. If we finish 3rd this season, and if we finish 3rd (or better) the following season that will be a huge achievement. It almost never happens. Levein got us two 3rds in a row. Neilson was on track for it last time. Don't think we've ever finished 3rd then 2nd in my memory. Not saying it won't happen, but building a stadium in the expectation or hope of it happening isn't smart. I think there are better strategies for maximising revenues without forking out millions in infrastructure.

And if we are turning people away next season no-one will be unhappy because it'll mean we're still flying!

Edited by ToqueJambo

10 hours ago, chrisyboy7 said:

You may point that out. 

4 hours ago, johnking123 said:

We are a growing club. Even when we where dross and getting relegated, attendance's where surprisingly high. We finish third this season and continue to build a good squad. Stadium could be come to small in few years time again. Edinburgh is a fast growing city and we can easily tap into that growth. 

This guys gets it 👍

4 hours ago, Led Tasso said:

From a financial perspective, in order to make a seat profitable on 10 year financing, you need to sell it about 6-8 times per season, not every game.

From an atmosphere perspective, we have to decide how many empty seats we're willing to tolerate on a regular basis though.

In the Murrayfield year while the Main was under construction, we averaged around 25k fans and maxed out north of 35k for a Rangers match, IIRC. If we can make the loans and the planning permission work, I think the support is there.

🙏👍

1 hour ago, 1971fozzy said:

Post of the year. For all the wrong reasons 🤣🤣🤣

He's right fozzy why can't we want to be better, this is what pisses me off we are a massive club, the only way we will ever grow as a club is by attracting more fans to tynecastle. 

4 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

He's right fozzy why can't we want to be better, this is what pisses me off we are a massive club, the only way we will ever grow as a club is by attracting more fans to tynecastle. 

There is a finite limit to what we can achieve within the handicaps of Scottish Football.

Celtic and Sevco bring in substantially bigger incomes than we can generate and are happy to keep the other clubs down with shit TV deals and prize money that is geared to go to the top two.  Its a Catch 22 situation and we tried to chase that under Robinson and nearly killed the club.

Just now, frankblack said:

There is a finite limit to what we can achieve within the handicaps of Scottish Football.

Celtic and Sevco bring in substantially bigger incomes than we can generate and are happy to keep the other clubs down with shit TV deals and prize money that is geared to go to the top two.  Its a Catch 22 situation and we tried to chase that under Robinson and nearly killed the club.

This can be funded by fans I'm not saying it needs to be done right away, I'm sure both Ann and James would donate too, what better way than to have a 30k seater stadium that will benefit us and put us even further ahead of the sheep and those tramps, I'm not saying we debt ourselves up too the point we die as a club, but plans can be put in place and talked about. 

We have to move with the times. 

Like it or not if we ever want to challenge rangers and celtic we need to close that gap of income. 

Now you will know from experience I'm not Robbies biggest fan, but let's try and support him and the club as much as possible. 

Edited by Bongo 1874

5 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

This can be funded by fans I'm not saying it needs to be done right away, I'm sure both Ann and James would donate too, what better way than to have a 30k seater stadium that will benefit us and put us even further ahead of the sheep and those tramps, I'm not saying we debt ourselves up too the point we die as a club, but plans can be put in place and talked about. 

Like it or not if we ever want to challenge rangers and celtic we need to close that gap of income. 

Now you will know from experience I'm not Robbies biggest fan, but let's try and support him and the club as much as possible. 

Ann Budge has done her bit in terms of injecting cash.  I wouldn't pin your hopes on a benefactor throwing money down the drain chasing a pipe dream.

We have no realistic chance of closing the income gap on Celtic and Sevco while in the SPFL.  They have a far bigger pull to draw from.

Your premise that fans will keep increasing doesn't hold against any historical data for our attendees.  Too many if, buts, and maybes.

3 minutes ago, Herbert said:

Fwiw I miss the old main stand and don't want anymore changes. I know it was just a pile of bricks but I felt sad when it was gone.

Yeah

SomethingAboutObua

We have a 21k seater and generally max out at 18k bar the 3 biggest matches we play. 25k would be the absolute maximum for Hearts and the stadium capacity can't be increased anyway unless you knocked down the wheatfield to do so. 

I do think Scottish football and sport needs a 30k seater imo for smaller cup finals (eg Falkirk v Inverness), smaller national mens and womens games and smaller Scotland Rugby and club games. Would love to see it be built but that won't involve Hearts. 

Aside from rotating the pitch 90 degrees and rebuilding the entire stadium, the only option to expand is by adding a tier to the main stand, in much the same manner that Liverpool recently did. There's no space behind any of the other stands, and the corners can't be filled in because the pylons are structurally integral.

IMO

Neil Mccanns Wand
7 hours ago, Bongo 1874 said:

Wrong you asked him what do you think the capacity should be and would well fill it, asking this question you know right away,you're agenda is to put him on the back foot, as he can't possibly answer any of them questions, it also comes across as really insulting because as it stands currently Hibs have more capacity than us, now if there is any team in Edinburgh close to selling out it's not Hibs is it. 

The OP has raised a valid point, do you really think with 20k we can sustain Robbies and savages plans of challenging rangers and celtic or could we give Robbie and the club an even better chance of closing the gap by getting more people to tynecastle. 

Can we keep the likes of Woodburn at Hearts with an up to date stadium. 

And really turn hearts into a force in Scottish football? 

Because whether you like it or not we're based in the capital, we have supporters from England all over the UK that come to watch us, America if I've missed anyone then i apologise. 

Hearts are all over the world. 

And i think we can attract more fans to our great club, and i think evidence proves that we have done exactly that in the past. 

This 100% 🤝👍

34 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

Ann or James are not going to pony up millions to expand the stadium. We’ve just built a new main stand. At the moment a 30k stadium would be pointless for the majority of games. If we get to the stage we’ve got a ridiculous waiting list for season tickets then it should be addressed. 

We as a fan base are doing everything we can possible to back the club. 

jambo-in-furness
17 minutes ago, SomethingAboutObua said:

We have a 21k seater and generally max out at 18k bar the 3 biggest matches we play. 25k would be the absolute maximum for Hearts and the stadium capacity can't be increased anyway unless you knocked down the wheatfield to do so. 

I do think Scottish football and sport needs a 30k seater imo for smaller cup finals (eg Falkirk v Inverness), smaller national mens and womens games and smaller Scotland Rugby and club games. Would love to see it be built but that won't involve Hearts. 

our stadium doesn’t hold 20k never mind 21k

Just now, Des Lynam said:

Ann or James are not going to pony up millions to expand the stadium. We’ve just built a new main stand. At the moment a 30k stadium would be pointless for the majority of games. If we get to the stage we’ve got a ridiculous waiting list for season tickets then it should be addressed. 

We as a fan base are doing everything we can possible to back the club. 

Let's step up and take it to the next level 👍, fans have been brilliant to the club but let's put the foundations 😉 you see what i did there 😊 in place for future jambos in years to come, why can't we dream and take on those feckers? Robbie has shown a home Victory against celtic and a draw at rangers. 

He who dares wins!!. 

1 hour ago, Bruno said:

Aside from rotating the pitch 90 degrees and rebuilding the entire stadium, the only option to expand is by adding a tier to the main stand, in much the same manner that Liverpool recently did. There's no space behind any of the other stands, and the corners can't be filled in because the pylons are structurally integral.

IMO

There is usable space behind the Wheatfield. Theoretically you could demolish it and build another similar to the main stand. But incrementally what would that realistically get us (ignoring the NBD issues for the sake of argument) another 5k maybe? Would that be worth the expense? Genuine question, I don't know.

Also, I've seen it here a few times, was the main stand built to accommodate another tier at some point? If the foundations/structural steel wasn't, then that's a non-starter. 

Kalamazoo Jambo
1 hour ago, SomethingAboutObua said:

1 hour ago, jambo-in-furness said:

our stadium doesn’t hold 20k never mind 21k

I’m not sure Hearts have released an official capacity number recently but the number I tend to see is 19,852. In reality it’s less than that most of the time due to gaps for segregation etc.

I’d love to get the capacity up to 23k or thereabouts but it’s hard to see how we can get there in the short term at least given all the constraints we’re dealing with physically (space, existing roof design etc) and the likely massive costs of a redo even if it’s possible.

Right now I’m happy having full- or near-to-full houses most weeks.

I’d hope someone is taking a look at our options longer term of course.

2 hours ago, Bongo 1874 said:

Let's step up and take it to the next level 👍, fans have been brilliant to the club but let's put the foundations 😉 you see what i did there 😊 in place for future jambos in years to come, why can't we dream and take on those feckers? Robbie has shown a home Victory against celtic and a draw at rangers. 

He who dares wins!!. 

How much £££? 🤷‍♂️

Would you accept the playing playing side stagnating again for 5 years plus while we finance the cost and play to reduced capacity crowds for a year or two while development goes on?

Based on what I have seen here during the main stand redevelopment I don't think fans would stomach it.

11 hours ago, bigsuperslim1874 said:

Bloody hope not. I’d rather have a sold out Tynie with some folk being disappointed for not getting a ticket than giving up a sporting advantage and playing at Murrayfield.

For smaller European games I agree however against the big teams like Liverpool or even a big European name the money we would make from playing at Murrayfield would be astronomical. Big away crowd plus home crowd including tourists would be huge in terms of hospitality, merchandise and overall publicity for the game here in Scotland. 

No brainier IMO

if only we had a couple of very successful business people at the club who are steeped in financial planning experience and are good with numbers......

such a shame once again it's left to us JKB arseholes to map out the future of the club.

16 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

Nothing 

At its final maximum 

I vaguely recall when building the main stand up, that we were looking to do it similar to how Liverpool upgraded Anfield, so that there was room for expansion with minimal impact. No idea what happened to that though.

Seen a lot of chat about expanding Tynecastle and I think folk are getting a tad carried away. I'd say our stadium is the perfect size for us right now, and will be for the foreseeable. We've had a good start to the season, coinciding with our return to the top flight and fans being allowed back after Covid. But lets not kid outselves on that the high attendances are down to much more than that.

Lets see if we're still getting 18k turning up for Category B games at the tail end of the season.

30 minutes ago, Locky said:

I vaguely recall when building the main stand up, that we were looking to do it similar to how Liverpool upgraded Anfield, so that there was room for expansion with minimal impact. No idea what happened to that though.

Seen a lot of chat about expanding Tynecastle and I think folk are getting a tad carried away. I'd say our stadium is the perfect size for us right now, and will be for the foreseeable. We've had a good start to the season, coinciding with our return to the top flight and fans being allowed back after Covid. But lets not kid outselves on that the high attendances are down to much more than that.

Lets see if we're still getting 18k turning up for Category B games at the tail end of the season.

Good post. 👍

• davemclaren changed the title to TYNECASTLE STADIUM UPGRADE POTENTIAL - UEFA category 4 granted ( updated/merged )