TYNECASTLE STADIUM UPGRADE POTENTIAL - UEFA category 4 granted ( updated/merged )

rickyjambo

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• davemclaren

• Sooks

• Watt-Zeefuik

• OTT

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

17 hours ago, Hungry hippo said:

630 pupils enrolled at Tynie.

6 hours ago, heartsfc_fan said:

Just imagine. Cocktails and burgers in brioche buns.

1500 pupils at Tynecastle Senior Secondary in 1966 and that includes Pentlands Annex.

On 24/02/2021 at 20:36, jamboinglasgow said:

That makes sense, though do wish the council could look to limit them. Saw another is at Murieton Crescent, so 200m away from this one.

An improvement on this, though.

image.png.6f451e3aed92f311f6ef3f93bcea1b7a.png

• davemclaren changed the title to Old Tynecastle school - planned to be student accommodation. ( merged )
On 25/02/2021 at 12:02, davemclaren said:

Given the planning constraints we had with the main stand I reckon any future non trivial expansion will  require a new site. 

Our focus should be on acquiring the pitch behind the Wheatfield stand. For several reasons

1. We could convert it to astro for community use and allow the bottleneck for exiting home fans from Roseburn and northern part of wheatfield to be eased.

2. Given that the Plaza is wasted space (disappointingly) create some sort of fan zone there on match days. From memory part of it's used by us as a carpark at the moment.

3. Eventually build an extension to Wheatfield stand when money or demand requires it.

Obviously NB Distillery would need to be willing to sell.

37 minutes ago, EIEIO said:

Our focus should be on acquiring the pitch behind the Wheatfield stand. For several reasons

1. We could convert it to astro for community use and allow the bottleneck for exiting home fans from Roseburn and northern part of wheatfield to be eased.

2. Given that the Plaza is wasted space (disappointingly) create some sort of fan zone there on match days. From memory part of it's used by us as a carpark at the moment.

3. Eventually build an extension to Wheatfield stand when money or demand requires it.

Obviously NB Distillery would need to be willing to sell.

Haven’t seen parking on the plaza before but a fanzone would be a decent idea. 

18 hours ago, davemclaren said:

Haven’t seen parking on the plaza before but a fanzone would be a decent idea. 

Not parking on the plaza at the back of the wheatfield.

• 2 months later...

More student flats ffs. 

Edinburgh is a beautiful city that is being ruined by a determination to cram student flats into every ****ing empty space. 

Edit: this land locks us now right? 

Edited by OTT

professorfate

I think it is a disgrace all these student accommodations are all over Edinburgh. I have nothing but respect for people trying to better themselves but these students are getting in huge debt. I don’t think we should kid ourselves these buildings are like prison cells and I had a friend that had to go back to fife because he couldn’t afford live in Edinburgh.

2 hours ago, professorfate said:

I think it is a disgrace all these student accommodations are all over Edinburgh. I have nothing but respect for people trying to better themselves but these students are getting in huge debt. I don’t think we should kid ourselves these buildings are like prison cells and I had a friend that had to go back to fife because he couldn’t afford live in Edinburgh.

Bit surprised this hasn't been met with a stronger reaction on here tbh. 

That ensures there is no development of the roseburn in the future which is terrible for us.. 

3 hours ago, OTT said:

More student flats ffs. 

Edinburgh is a beautiful city that is being ruined by a determination to cram student flats into every ****ing empty space. 

Happens in every city. The amount of money it brings in is eye watering.

there is very little that can compete on in property investment terms. 

Most people’s pensions will be boosted from this type of investment. 

students though...

A bit shit there was no move from the club. Sort of thing FoH should be asking members if they want to help fund buying it.

The students will get a shock when there is a derby or Old Firm visit.

The Real Maroonblood
3 hours ago, OTT said:

More student flats ffs. 

I'm sure where the Dell Inn stood is possibly going to be student flats as well.

8 minutes ago, kila said:

A bit shit there was no move from the club. Sort of thing FoH should be asking members if they want to help fund buying it.

The students will get a shock when there is a derby or Old Firm visit.

Definitely. Spent £20m on a new stand and have just been landlocked 😕 

Hopefully the community pushes back against the proposal. More student flats is not what we need. 

6 hours ago, Jamboross said:

https://oldtynecastlehigh.com/

Info and public consultation page there. 

OUTRAGEOUS…. MUST BE STOPPED!

Protest on the Plaza, cancel FOH pledge, non renewal of season ticket, Robbie & Ann to lead protest march to the City Chambers, boycott everything, merchandise, PPV TV, away games, whatever it takes! 
JKB United 

😉 

Byyy The Light
On 26/02/2021 at 14:43, jambonian said:

Multi-storey car park with Western Approach Road access would make more sense. Just like it would've done on Russell Road before they built all that housing. 

The way things are going with the pandemic, companies will end up not needing a building for everyone to work in. More folk will work from home and offices won't be needed, or at least smaller offices would serve their purpose.  There are loads of buildings in the city centre that aren't being used or won't be needed, turn them into student accommodation. If i was a student i'd rather be i the city centre than stuck beside a football stadium with thousands of fans coming and going every other week. A car park is the way to go for Tynecastle, Murrayfield when the rugger buggers need it and workers during the week to park in instead of going into town.

Sorry but nah. Complete waste of space. Housing is what’s needed. Good quality affordable housing to help get rents under control. The state of the housing market is an absolute joke and we need to get as many houses built in these areas as we can.

Car ownership will eventually be obsolete in the not too distant future. 

Quite happy this is being done to tell you truth. This has been an eyesore on Gorgie for some years now. Will ultimately bring more money into our local area. I'm glad we never got involved in this land as we need to concentrate fully on the footballing side of the club. Too many distractions over the last few years with the building of the new stand etc (which I love). Time now to kick on.

41 minutes ago, jager man said:

Quite happy this is being done to tell you truth. This has been an eyesore on Gorgie for some years now. Will ultimately bring more money into our local area. I'm glad we never got involved in this land as we need to concentrate fully on the footballing side of the club. Too many distractions over the last few years with the building of the new stand etc (which I love). Time now to kick on.

What happens if we need to expand the stadium? It’s now impossible. 

40 minutes ago, OTT said:

What happens if we need to expand the stadium? It’s now impossible. 

The Wheatfield can be expanding subject to the brewery moving.

frankblack
1 hour ago, Byyy The Light said:

Sorry but nah. Complete waste of space. Housing is what’s needed. Good quality affordable housing to help get rents under control. The state of the housing market is an absolute joke and we need to get as many houses built in these areas as we can.

I'm not sure what gives you that idea but I think you are wrong.

People still require and demand their independence to get around e.g. to/from work or shopping.  Public transport is often too long and indirect if it exists at all for your route, and there isn't the capacity for everyone to do their grocery shopping online as demonstrated during the pandemic.

Byyy The Light
57 minutes ago, frankblack said:

I'm not sure what gives you that idea but I think you are wrong.

People still require and demand their independence to get around e.g. to/from work or shopping.  Public transport is often too long and indirect if it exists at all for your route, and there isn't the capacity for everyone to do their grocery shopping online as demonstrated during the pandemic.

Obsolete probably a bit strong but certainly very different.

Im talking next couple of decades. Electric cars, driverless cars, Uber and ride sharing, City Car Club etc. Only a matter of time in my opinion that there will be monthly subscriptions that you pay and get the use of multiple cars or some variation. 

I think outright ownership of vehicles like we have just now will change in the future as there will be more attractive models and options for people kicking about.

I also think flexible working will see an increase in local shared office space turning up in suburbs and local communities so people will only commute Into city centres once or twice a week.

All just guesses really though. 

frankblack
2 hours ago, Byyy The Light said:

Obsolete probably a bit strong but certainly very different.

Im talking next couple of decades. Electric cars, driverless cars, Uber and ride sharing, City Car Club etc. Only a matter of time in my opinion that there will be monthly subscriptions that you pay and get the use of multiple cars or some variation. 

Electric cars are at least a couple of decades from being normal because there are fundamental issues around charging for people who live in flats or can't park outside their house and park on the street.

Driverless cars have some major glitches and I'm unconvinced by.  Wouldn't they potentially attract more owners who can't drive?

Car clubs have been tried and proven to fail.

I think outright ownership of vehicles like we have just now will change in the future as there will be more attractive models and options for people kicking about.

There are already options to lease which mean you always get the new models but own none of them.

I also think flexible working will see an increase in local shared office space turning up in suburbs and local communities so people will only commute Into city centres once or twice a week.

All just guesses really though. 

Flexible working is going to hit trains and buses.  Its unclear if this will trickle down to smaller organisations.

9 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

Good stuff, hope folk manage to push back on this nonsense. City is absolutely littered with student accommodation whilst locals are left with an utterly unaffordable city to try and build a life in. Maybe they can try and get some politicians involved. 

Pasquale for King
33 minutes ago, OTT said:

Good stuff, hope folk manage to push back on this nonsense. City is absolutely littered with student accommodation whilst locals are left with an utterly unaffordable city to try and build a life in. Maybe they can try and get some politicians involved. 

I said that to them yesterday, they had a stall opposite the Tynie Arms. The local councillor (Ashley Gravcyk) is involved, she’s been active in this and other proposed student builds and is a Jambo. 

10 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

Unfortunately I doubt it'll make a blind bit of difference: council & govt will just ignore local concerns like they did with the Fountainbridge development.

7 hours ago, Byyy The Light said:

I disagree. There are plenty empty units around the city whether that's houses, offices, shops etc that can be transformed into living accommodation whereas parking is a nightmare, and getting even worse with all these bollards and lane restrictions. I've no idea where we're going to park when we eventually get back into Tynecastle. The few places we have used over the years have changed. Then there's thousands who want to come from all over Scotland to watch rugby at Murrayfield and residential streets are almost impossible to get through with all the cars taking any available space. A multi-storey car park would solve a lot of parking issues, sport or folk working in the city centre. There's links into town from Western Approach Road and a train line running above Russell Road. While on the subject of housing....nobody should be allowed to own more than three properties. The private rental sector is a rip-off with what occupants have to pay and a lot of the accommodation is an utter mess, poor living conditions. If there were fewer of them then there'd be more affordable housing for people and less shortage of properties which should be run by councils and not greedy landlords.

As for cars...people will always want the freedom to move around at their leisure. On top of that there's thousands of businesses who need mobility to do their work. Almost everything is mobility-aided with workers. That's why i stick by building a multi-storey along from Tynecastle. They have that chance now as i feel they should've done that on Russell Road years ago. More accommodation means more parking problems, and they're bad enough already.

We definitely need more housing. 

Curious argument that it's not suitable for residential when there is popular housing next to it. Students somehow second class residents as well. 

18 minutes ago, Doogz said:

Unfortunately I doubt it'll make a blind bit of difference: council & govt will just ignore local concerns like they did with the Fountainbridge development.

Council elections coming up, hopefully the group make it clear to all that their votes hinge on knocking back this abomination. 

If we’d spent £5m on this bit land with no immediate intention of doing anything with it.....Ann Budge and The FOH Board would have been slaughtered.

We just don’t need a bigger stadium.

davemclaren
5 minutes ago, DH1986 said:

If we’d spent £5m on this bit land with no immediate intention of doing anything with it.....Ann Budge and The FOH Board would have been slaughtered.

We just don’t need a bigger stadium.

If we come to the point of needing a new or bigger stadium the moving is likely a better option. Won’t be happening for a while, or ever, though. 

5 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

If we come to the point of needing a new or bigger stadium the moving is likely a better option. Won’t be happening for a while, or ever, though. 

Where becomes the next question. Having a look on google maps doesn't suggest anywhere suitable nearby. Unless we could get part of Saughton park or a golf course :D 

Presumably the intention would be to try to remain within the local area rather than moving out of the city. 

11 hours ago, Thomaso said:

The Wheatfield can be expanding subject to the brewery moving.

The distillery has been there since 1885, it’s definitely not going anywhere soon, certainly not in this lifetime 

davemclaren
9 minutes ago, OTT said:

Where becomes the next question. Having a look on google maps doesn't suggest anywhere suitable nearby. Unless we could get part of Saughton park or a golf course :D 

Presumably the intention would be to try to remain within the local area rather than moving out of the city. 

I think land prices would necessitate any move to be further out of town. Unless we have a generous and wealthy benefactor at the time, of course. 

Pasquale for King
3 hours ago, Doogz said:

They managed to get them to have a rethink over the flats over Scotmid do you never know. 

3 hours ago, jbee647 said:

The distillery has been there since 1885, it’s definitely not going anywhere soon, certainly not in this lifetime 

Not sure how old you are but I don’t foresee a need to enlarge the stadium in my lifetime.

The Real Maroonblood
1 hour ago, Thomaso said:

Not sure how old you are but I don’t foresee a need to enlarge the stadium in my lifetime.

With Neilson at the helm the fans will be coming  back in droves.

• 3 months later...
19 minutes ago, Janbo1874 said:

It actually looks quite nice. 

That said - i am surprised we didn't try to get the land/come to an agreement with the Brewery when they sold it off. I'm sure i've said this before on a similar "old school land being sold" thread.

If the planning falls through then I hope we can be in a position to cut a deal for the land. 

Looked further into the proposals - this PDF is pretty good to be fair. 

https://oldtynecastlehigh.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/05/TSS_CommunityConsultation_Final_a1size.pdf

Now i've looked over the info - there's absolutely no way that can go ahead. They want to build a new apartment block parallel to the fuel containers on the distillery site. 

I don't see how health and safety can sign off a round the clock habitable building yards from two towers of highly flammable chemicals. 

I don't really get the objections to student accomodation. The site has been vacant for a decade. It isn't building student accomodation on it that is stopping affordable housing being built there. If the students aren't in that type of accomodation they will be competing for existing traditional housing stock, pushing rental and house prices up for other residents.

From a Hearts perspective, I'd like to think the key thing is considering how a 500 student development on our doorstep might present opportunities for the use of Tynecastle outside of match days. For example does it create an opportunity for a more profitable bar/ cafe operating during the week? Would there be enough interest in a budget gym? These kind of businesses might be more viable with 500 additional students, but would also benefit existing local residents.

1 hour ago, Jambo_Gaz said:

Zero parking? Lunatics 

You think .

Cars are being chased out of cities all over the world . Madness to think otherwise

2 hours ago, Mysterion said:

Looked further into the proposals - this PDF is pretty good to be fair. 

https://oldtynecastlehigh.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/05/TSS_CommunityConsultation_Final_a1size.pdf

Now i've looked over the info - there's absolutely no way that can go ahead. They want to build a new apartment block parallel to the fuel containers on the distillery site. 

I don't see how health and safety can sign off a round the clock habitable building yards from two towers of highly flammable chemicals. 

Link didn’t work for me.  Link to main website:  https://oldtynecastlehigh.com 

A lot of information there, for example consideration of the various constraints.  Worth looking at if interested, I think.  e.g. with regard to distillery.

Given the amount of work obviously undertaken it does seem odd though that the distances that can be reached in 5 or 10 minutes walk are simply represented by circles cantered on the site, particularly given the constraints on movement at this site’s location, e.g. the western approach road is quite the barrier to walking north!  It really wouldn’t be difficult to construct isochrones showing this more accurately.

• Maple Leaf changed the title to TYNECASTLE STADIUM UPGRADE POTENTIAL?
  • davemclaren changed the title to TYNECASTLE STADIUM UPGRADE POTENTIAL - UEFA category 4 granted ( updated/merged )