TYNECASTLE STADIUM UPGRADE POTENTIAL - UEFA category 4 granted ( updated/merged )

rickyjambo

2 hours ago, jambonian said:

something we should've thought of when the new stand was being built, particularly where that police box is at the corner between new stand and Gorgie where people can't see part of the pitch anyway. 

That's no longer true, you can see the pitch from every seat.

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• davemclaren

• Sooks

• Watt-Zeefuik

• OTT

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 hours ago, Nunya Business said:

Can't expand the Roseburn because of the school (soon to be housing).

Can't expand the Gorgie because of the buildings behind that.

Can't expand the Wheatfield because of the distillery and properties in Wheatfield Street.

Can't fill in the corners because the roof will collapse without the floodlights holding it up.

Aye, seems plausible.

Its why I'd love the club to undertake a viability study so everyone can be on the same page. Its proper grim when you think about it in those terms. Think you can also add in 'can't expand the main stand because of the school' too. - I'm sure I heard something about the light being impacted which is a no-no. 

Farcical situation tbh. 

25 minutes ago, OTT said:

Its why I'd love the club to undertake a viability study so everyone can be on the same page. Its proper grim when you think about it in those terms. Think you can also add in 'can't expand the main stand because of the school' too. - I'm sure I heard something about the light being impacted which is a no-no. 

Farcical situation tbh. 

It wouldn’t matter what the club did. Folk would still pop up asking us to fill in the corners. 

4 hours ago, davemclaren said:

It wouldn’t matter what the club did. Folk would still pop up asking us to fill in the corners. 

Did you say fill in the corners?

Great idea …. fill them asap

♥️H♥️H♥️G♥️H

Kalamazoo Jambo
3 minutes ago, Jambo-Fox said:

Did you say fill in the corners?

Great idea …. fill them asap

♥️H♥️H♥️G♥️H

Yep, we need a more roofless streak.

3 minutes ago, Kalamazoo Jambo said:

Yep, we need a more roofless streak.

“It’s magic you know

Tynie and corners don’t go”

26325E32-2D54-478C-88F1-CC7E814F2AD6.jpeg

Kalamazoo Jambo
3 minutes ago, Jambo-Fox said:

“It’s magic you know

Tynie and corners don’t go”

26325E32-2D54-478C-88F1-CC7E814F2AD6.jpeg

Let’s take a bit of time to get the funding in place and by then I’d hope the requisite anti-gravity technology would also be available

:yas:

jamboinglasgow
2 minutes ago, Kalamazoo Jambo said:

Let’s take a bit of time to get the funding in place and by then I’d hope the requisite anti-gravity technology would also be available

:yas:

Well apparently transparent aluminium is now a thing (which Star Trek predicted years ago.) Just build the posts from that and we can see through it.

Kalamazoo Jambo
6 minutes ago, jamboinglasgow said:

Well apparently transparent aluminium is now a thing (which Star Trek predicted years ago.) Just build the posts from that and we can see through it.

Incredibly we covered off see-through supports earlier in the thread :laugh:

5 hours ago, OTT said:

Farcical situation tbh. 

The Club were not allowed to cover the school end terrace back in the late 50’s due to the impact of light into the school. Don’t think the old school building had any impact on the size of the new main stand.

Not sure what a viability study by the club would achieve - we were all aware of the site being constrained by Gorgie Road houses, the distillery and the old school buildings when the vast majority of Hearts fans wanted the Club to stay at our spiritual home!

Calling that decision “farcical” is total nonsense IMO.

We have one of the best stadiums anywhere in the country, voted by players as having the best atmosphere, and with a new main stand complex that has fantastic corporate facilities that will make good money for the Club into the future. 
Let’s just enjoy what we have and focus on continuing the improvement on the pitch.

Edited by Thomaso

22 minutes ago, Thomaso said:

The Club were not allowed to cover the school end terrace back in the late 50’s due to the impact of light into the school. Don’t think the old school building had any impact on the size of the new main stand.

Not sure what a viability study by the club would achieve - we were all aware of the site being constrained by Gorgie Road houses, the distillery and the old school buildings when the vast majority of Hearts fans wanted the Club to stay at our spiritual home!

We have one of the best stadiums anywhere in the country, voted by players as having the best atmosphere, and with a new main stand complex that has fantastic corporate facilities that will make good money for the Club into the future. 
Let’s just enjoy what we have and focus on continuing the improvement on the pitch.

👏👏

8 minutes ago, Thomaso said:

It would put to bed what can and cannot be done. At one point under Vlad the new stand seemed impossible and eventually we got it done with Budge and a slightly increased capacity. So potentially there is wiggle room with the council on expansion. As others have pointed out the last rebuild was mid90s and built with a circa 30 year lifespan which we're approaching so I would think some thought will need to be given to that in the next few years. I was calling how impossible the task of ever expanding the stadium farcical because its ridiculous how every option looks to be impossible to the point its almost comical - Can't expand the Gorgie stand because of flats, Roseburn because of that old school no one uses/ explosive distillery, Wheatfield because of flats/distillery, can't put corners in because the stadium would fall down, couldn't make the main stand bigger because of the new School... its like a bad joke.. 

I do agree with your post though, we do have one of the best stadiums in the country, recall even McGeady saying he loved it! :D The new stand is a godsend and it will be interesting to see its impact once its fully operational and we're properly through the pandemic - to feel its full benefit.  IIRC the old stand actually cost us money or something?

Remember the Chris Robinson feasibility study. We should enjoy tynie with the new main stand and other cosmetic upgrades will happen over next few years

On 11/11/2021 at 19:59, Stu_HMFC said:

So much talk on expanding Tynecastle we haven’t had one sell out this season ?  (Apart from Hibs maybe )

If every game was a sell out and we had a waiting list for season tickets and a mad rush for general sale tickets, selling them using LP scheme then Hearts may look to do something about expanding. Until then these threads are pointless it won’t happen. 

Just reduce the away capacity to 1 section that include the old firm, Give Hibs the full stand if Hearts want to go down that route and keep them at a full Roseburn. 

We had over 18k at the game on Saturday but from the highlights still looked like a lot of empty seats down the bottom of the Main and Gorgie. 

First league game of season was a complete sell out 

:verysmug:

4 hours ago, Thomaso said:

Disagree with you on this mate and if that is the case, then the club should come out and say we can't improve/ expand anymore of tynecastle. 

Because unless we have someone throwing money at us then the chances of the club, ever challenging celtic or rangers is over. 

If we can't improve on and off the field then what is the point, potentially in years to come the gap will get even bigger, population is going to get bigger. 

The club would be fools not to be attracting more fans, which in turn will allow us to have a bigger budget and it will allow us to compete on a better level. 

Standing still like Hibs will get us nowhere. 

I really hope one day we can have a stadium that holds a capacity of 30k or more fans. 

And i would rather stay at tynecastle but if that can't be achieved there, then i would seriously consider moving to a new site. 

Because that's the only way we will close the gap and grow as a club. 

Unless James and Ann is prepared to throw money at it regarding the squad. 

Edited by Bongo 1874

6 hours ago, jamboinglasgow said:

Have you been watching the voyage home and got confused with Shatners space flight 🤔

8 hours ago, Bull's-eye said:

Sitting in the corners at Football is Shite. Really Shite.

Surprised nobody's mentioned that before tbh.

Good shout…. Safe standing in the corner it is. 👍🏻

22 minutes ago, Newton51 said:

The screens would bring in more revenue from advertising. The corners could be developed for a corporate offering rather than additional seats

What kind of corporate offering?

4 hours ago, Bongo 1874 said:

Disagree with you on this mate and if that is the case, then the club should come out and say we can't improve/ expand anymore of tynecastle. 

Because unless we have someone throwing money at us then the chances of the club, ever challenging celtic or rangers is over. 

If we can't improve on and off the field then what is the point, potentially in years to come the gap will get even bigger, population is going to get bigger. 

The club would be fools not to be attracting more fans, which in turn will allow us to have a bigger budget and it will allow us to compete on a better level. 

I really hope one day we can have a stadium that holds a capacity of 30k or more fans. 

And i would rather stay at tynecastle but if that can't be achieved there, then i would seriously consider moving to a new site. 

Why would the Club come out and say we can’t improve? Of course we can improve our football side - we seem to be doing so already. 

15 hours ago, OTT said:

Farcical situation tbh. 

Agreed. Lends more weight to the argument that previous club custodians should have shown more foresight and determination and sought a less cramped stadium environment.

Wallace Mercer’s idea for a customised stadium was on the right lines, in my view.

We now just need to be alert to upgrading and improving what we’ve got.

13 minutes ago, PortyBeach said:

Agreed. Lends more weight to the argument that previous club custodians should have shown more foresight and determination and sought a less cramped stadium environment.

Wallace Mercer’s idea for a customised stadium was on the right lines, in my view.

Jamie Bryant who was one of the brains behind the FOH planned to demolish all 4 stands, turn the pitch East/West (rather than North/South) and rebuild a 40,000 capacity stadium funded by the FOH. Obviously this is no longer possible but it shows what could have been done on the current footprint of the stadium. 

What about inserting lift shafts into the centre of the corner stanchions and having a small private seating area at the top  for the big hitters like myself to enjoy comfort and peace while watching the football. 

10 minutes ago, Libertarian said:

Jamie Bryant who was one of the brains behind the FOH planned to demolish all 4 stands, turn the pitch East/West (rather than North/South) and rebuild a 40,000 capacity stadium funded by the FOH. Obviously this is no longer possible but it shows what could have been done on the current footprint of the stadium. 

Long term the only way of significantly increasing capacity would be to move the pitch round 90 degrees and rebuild the stadium - but as others have pointed out there are a number of other challenges not least the situation with the distillery. I also think it would have made sense for the club to purchase the site of the old school with a view to future expansion - but it looks like that ship has sailed. For now, it would make sense for the club to purchase the field behind the Wheatfield.

1 hour ago, PortyBeach said:

I assume the “customised stadium” plan was taking the club to the centre of the universe like Millerhill or stuck out at the Gyle? 🙄
IMO moving Hearts away from Tynecastle would have ripped the soul out of the Club - a view shared by the vast majority of Hearts fans who wanted to stay at our spiritual home.

we have a wonderful stadium with fantastic money making facilities.

Let’s focus on improving the team and selling out our 20,000 capacity for every game - when we do that we can look at the possibility of purchasing the pitch behind the Wheatfield for development.

2 hours ago, Newton51 said:

The screens would bring in more revenue from advertising. The corners could be developed for a corporate offering rather than additional seats

We have a lot of corporate offering already and a whole floor in the main stand that, apparently, we ‘re still not sure what to do with. 

15 minutes ago, Thomaso said:

I assume the “customised stadium” plan was taking the club to the centre of the universe like Millerhill or stuck out at the Gyle? 🙄
IMO moving Hearts away from Tynecastle would have ripped the soul out of the Club - a view shared by the vast majority of Hearts fans who wanted to stay at our spiritual home.

we have a wonderful stadium with fantastic money making facilities.

Let’s focus on improving the team and selling out our 20,000 capacity for every game - when we do that we can look at the possibility of purchasing the pitch behind the Wheatfield for development.

I’m not convinced Mercer would have opted for Millerhill, but that’s just my opinion.

Edinburgh’s transport links could easily have facilitated access to a new stadium on the west side of the city.

I understand the “spiritual home” sentiment but I think a larger stadium capable of generating other income streams and increasing match-day revenues was the right way forward.

2 hours ago, PortyBeach said:

I’d never heard about that customised stadium - what was the gist of that? Why customised rather than normal - is there something unique about it? 

Do agree about needing to be alert to the stadiums boundaries and seeing it there is any chance of additional development.

Really hoping the student accommodation doesn’t go ahead. Last thing we need is more light concerns if there is ever a chance to rebuild that end of the stadium. 

2 minutes ago, OTT said:

I’d never heard about that customised stadium - what was the gist of that? Why customised rather than normal - is there something unique about it? 

Do agree about needing to be alert to the stadiums boundaries and seeing it there is any chance of additional development.

Really hoping the student accommodation doesn’t go ahead. Last thing we need is more light concerns if there is ever a chance to rebuild that end of the stadium. 

Customised in the sense that a new stadium would have been a blank canvas in terms of facilities and design.

2 minutes ago, PortyBeach said:

Customised in the sense that a new stadium would have been a blank canvas in terms of facilities and design.

Ahhh thanks, wasn’t sure if it meant like capacity could be amended easily or something. 

12 minutes ago, OTT said:

Ahhh thanks, wasn’t sure if it meant like capacity could be amended easily or something. 

Well, I suppose something like that might be a factor in the design of the stadium!
I’ve heard of stadiums being designed with the option available to extend capacity.

5 hours ago, PortyBeach said:

I’m not convinced Mercer would have opted for Millerhill, but that’s just my opinion.

Edinburgh’s transport links could easily have facilitated access to a new stadium on the west side of the city.

I understand the “spiritual home” sentiment but I think a larger stadium capable of generating other income streams and increasing match-day revenues was the right way forward.

We now have a stadium that generates other income streams.

I'm glad I am not the only one who feels like this. I have read that when Hearts moved out to Gorgie in the 1880s many supporters were unhappy as the city limit at the time was Haymarket. I love Tynecastle but the fact is that for the club to grow and fulfill it's potential we need a bigger capacity, 25,000 minimum. Did David Murray not offer to build us a 30,000 capacity stadium in his huge development to the west of the city?

11 hours ago, Bongo 1874 said:

On the announcement of the opening of the new main stand, Budge said pretty directly that Tynecastle was now functionally finished. So in effect, the club have already announced this.

I agree with Thomaso that there are still plenty of opportunities to improve the club without expanding the actual seating capacity of the stadium. The second floor hotel sounds brilliant—I would love to stay there on trips to Edinburgh. That's a great way to invest in our stadium at its current capacity to expand revenue.

Beyond that, with the advent of remote work, coworking spaces are a potential growth avenue. If I lived near Gorgie I would absolutely take a hot desk with a view out onto the pitch or the plaza.

Yes, I like daydreaming about how to make the stadium bigger in the long run because land use and planning *is* part of my professional training and I like it as a fun puzzle to think about. But practically, in terms of gameday seating capacity, we need to enjoy Tynecastle as it is now for a while because the hurdles to expansion are simply too great. 

6 hours ago, stirlo said:

Long term the only way of significantly increasing capacity would be to move the pitch round 90 degrees and rebuild the stadium - but as others have pointed out there are a number of other challenges not least the situation with the distillery. I also think it would have made sense for the club to purchase the site of the old school with a view to future expansion - but it looks like that ship has sailed. For now, it would make sense for the club to purchase the field behind the Wheatfield.

At the time the Main was being planned, I thought it would have been fun to try to architecturally incorporate some of the school into plan, with a shop or museum or something in the old buildings. Logistically, that was too hard at the time.

I don't think it was a huge loss to not supersize the Roseburn though. We would have ended up with a really lopsided stadium like Pittodrie, which to me is a perfect example of how to take a history-drenched site and cheapen it.

As I understand it, the NBDC have been very protective of the community pitch, and fair play to them, but schooching it 40 yards to the west hardly seems a major ask. Securing it now might be a good long-term plan, particularly as land values increase, but we won't be able to do anything with it until the ethanol situation is resolved, which again is not a minor thing.

That said, if we can imagine the ethanol situation resolved and we have enough money (let's have fun and pretend we qualify for CL group stages three times in a decade) that we can contemplate things like rotating the stadium 90 degrees and rebuilding it, we can also contemplate replacing the Wheatfield with a giganto-stand. It's 6k currently, but with the parking lot and part of the community pitch (again, this is just for fun and games, don't take this seriously) there's enough room to put the Struth stand from Ibrox there, which is over 21k. So just from a space perspective, we could have a 35k stadium.

tl;dr, this is to say that we're not constrained in terms of potentially available land. Beyond the ethanol, we're constrained by money. We have a fantastic stadium right now and should enjoy it for a while.

Imagining some decades-distant future where our fanbase grows to rival the OF and we can realistically average 35k per game, so that using Tynecastle as our main stadium somehow becomes untenable, at some point it becomes silly to not talk about ground sharing at Murrayfield. The club could keep Tynecastle as a training facility, keep the main but knock down the other stands for reserves and women's games, and have the club offices, shop, museum, and sundry there.

Let's get to that point before we start worrying about it, though.

2 hours ago, Libertarian said:

I'm glad I am not the only one who feels like this. I have read that when Hearts moved out to Gorgie in the 1880s many supporters were unhappy as the city limit at the time was Haymarket. I love Tynecastle but the fact is that for the club to grow and fulfill it's potential we need a bigger capacity, 25,000 minimum. Did David Murray not offer to build us a 30,000 capacity stadium in his huge development to the west of the city?

I believe so, yes. He had some land on the west side of the city he was prepared to sell Mercer. Not sure what happened there. There were obviously some stumbling blocks, but what the issues were, I’ve no idea.

3 hours ago, Thomaso said:

Love when you are a voice of reason. Some of the takes on here are something else

8 hours ago, davemclaren said:

We have a lot of corporate offering already and a whole floor in the main stand that, apparently, we ‘re still not sure what to do with. 

I do agree we have plenty of corporate but none where you can watch the game from. In the corner could be more like an executive box type

3 hours ago, Thomaso said:

Of course we do, mate.
I suppose what I’m trying to say is that a new custom-built ground could have been designed to accommodate, for example, the type of corporate facilities described by “Newton51” above.

No doubt other examples might spring to mind.

10 hours ago, stirlo said:

This. 

Back at the time I made a number of posts about the H&S issues we faced. I do this everyday as a job, oil and gas admittedly, but the same rules apply. I don't mean this as a slight to others posters, but its not quite as straightforward as it seems as to why you can allow student housing but not an increased capacity stadium. 

That being said, I entirely understand why people think leaving Tynecastle for a bigger stadium is abhorrent. My old man took me to my first game there, his old man did the same for him. I get it, I genuinely do. But the simple fact is, if we start competing for titles and trophies regularly and we see the need for a bigger stadium, it won't be in Gorgie. Someone on here about the time of the move said of very simply, 'I support Hearts, not Tynecastle Park'. 

I honestly can't see us leaving Tynecastle anytime soon, (by soon I mean in my lifetime, I'm 72 and hoping to be going to Tynecastle in my 90's). 

I agree it would be great if we could do some re-engineering allowing us to fill the corners and increase the pitch size (I've posted elsewhere how that might be possible) but even that would be expensive. 

One of the best things about Tynecastle is the steep stands, and I don't think we would be allowed to build like that now on another site.

14 hours ago, Thomaso said:

Why would the Club come out and say we can’t improve? Of course we can improve our football side - we seem to be doing so already. 

That football side will only take us so far, I have no doubts whatsoever Joe savage is the right man for that side of things in one transfer window he has put the heart and soul back into this team. 

But it's not good him or Robbie saying we want to challenge etc etc, they need backing and we as fans can help, the club doesn't have to stand still it can plan and put stuff in place. 

Broadcast income is outside the control of individual clubs. So they can’t be much movement there.

From a commercial point of view, a bigger Tynecastle is a more attractive proposition to commercial partners. 

it would also bring in more matchday revenue, and put us ahead of our competition Aberdeen and Hibs, this allowing us to challenge celtic and rangers even more. 

Just my opinion but i truly believe our support is special and it could be achieved. 

Edited by Bongo 1874

17 minutes ago, Smithee said:

We all love the place but at the same time there isn't an inch of it left from when my dad took me to my first game. 

I think the only thing left is the wall behind the School End stand. 

iwasthere1954

I believe so, yes. He had some land on the west side of the city he was prepared to sell Mercer. Not sure what happened there. There were obviously some stumbling blocks, but what the issues were, I’ve no idea.

That land is still fields. The Scottish government have been looking at the development for several years and have still not made a decision. City of Edinburgh Council did give it the green light originally but the Scottish government stopped it going ahead. 

57 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

I think the only thing left is the wall behind the School End stand. 

And our memories ❤️

• davemclaren changed the title to TYNECASTLE STADIUM UPGRADE POTENTIAL - UEFA category 4 granted ( updated/merged )