TYNECASTLE STADIUM UPGRADE POTENTIAL - UEFA category 4 granted ( updated/merged )

rickyjambo

2 hours ago, Stu_HMFC said:

Roseburn and Wheatfield knocked down and a new two tier stand joined up like St James would be ideal . Just a dream .

That would be fantastic, but I fear just a dream. Finances aside, you'd need to knock down a bit of the old school building, and you'd need to be rid of any distillery-related restrictions, and even then, there may be planning permission struggles! 

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• davemclaren

• Sooks

• Watt-Zeefuik

• OTT

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Only allow 400 away fans. 19500 is enough I'm sure. 

Moving away isn't an option I don't think. However West Ham moved from Upton Park. 

Scottish football would need some sort of revolution though to see it being a thing rather than a Monday afternoon bunfight 

Purchase land and rebuild Wheatfield stand with cantilever roof. Then do same with Gorgie and Roseburn ends. Leaving the main till be really need to as that would be the expensive one!

12 minutes ago, Thomaso said:

A new roof structure would have to be on a cantilever support design. To incorporate that not only would the existing roofs have to be removed and replaced to 4 stands, but the compete facade to the main stand would have to be removed to allow the cantilever supports to be built. 
The existing steel floodlight towers and the massive horizontal trusses would also have to be romoved - no easy task in its own right.

The costs for this kind of redesign is frankly huge - it’s just not practical.

Thank you. I'm not an enthusiast for filling the corners (if it's an easy expansion, go for it, but you create seats with terrible sight lines), but I didn't realize it would be quite so much.

Theres a lot that can be done with Tynecastle in the short term aside from an increased capacity.

It looked like on Saturday that the trusses on top of the stands had had a clean up/been painted. Parts or the rest of the stadium could do with the same, including the floodlight pylons which look tired. The inside of the stand edges could do with attention also, including the removing of the old Allsports signage. 

Not expensive improvements but modernises the place and makes it a far-cry from some of the hovels we visit for away games.

With regards to increased capacity there is a decent sized bit land behind the Wheatfield but thats a good view years away from being required

Edited by Gorgie_Rules

2 hours ago, Bongo 1874 said:

Has it though? with James Anderson at the helm Ann is not short of money 😉

If Ann and James want to cement there legacy forever at Hearts what better way to give us a stadium, that will benefit us in years to come, will attract better players and will close the gap on those feckers, Gorgie Rules!!! 

Think Ann Budge has already done this. Pivotal in ensuring we have a club and for us all to have petty bonkers chat about building even bigger stadiums. We also have a new main stand thats going to generate income for years to come. 

13 minutes ago, johnking123 said:

Purchase land and rebuild Wheatfield stand with cantilever roof. Then do same with Gorgie and Roseburn ends. Leaving the main till be really need to as that would be the expensive one!

That would be the way forward. I never understood why we didn't cantilever the new stand and future proof the stadium for any future redevelopment, instead we tied ourselves in to a 3 decade old design. 

That said, I don't think we need a bigger ground. I'd rather it was full everyweek than have a half empty 30,000 seater. 

In the short term we could maybe modernise the façades of the 3 older stands. Perhaps clad it with clear corrugated polycarbonate panels like Dublin's Aviva Stadium and a wee lick of paint. 

40 minutes ago, Thomaso said:

I assume bought during the Pieman era?

As part of “modernising the Clubs image” he changed the Club crest and changed Tynecastle to “Stadium” from “Park”! 😏

It's always been just Tynecastle to me.

1 hour ago, frankblack said:

Complete drivel.

I made a valid argument and he went off on one.  I was perfectly respectful until the insults got fired at me.

We have no hope of challenging Sevco or Celtic any time soon when their budgets are multiple times ours driven by a century or more of bigotry.  Hearts can only progress if they raise income from other means but it still requires both the uglies to have absolute 'mares, which is improbable.

Woodburn is going back to Liverpool regardless and we won't be spending the kind of cash required to get him from an EPL side.

I've been watching Hearts from the 80s and our support even before Taylor fluctuated massively depending on how consistent the team is.  The fact is if we get too successful someone bigger will pinch our best players (and manager), perhaps even on a Bosman if we spend large sums on them.

While we are stuck in Scottish football, the best we can hope for is incremental improvements and start to get consistency from year to year.  We are miles away from that if you look at the depth of our squad.

Woodburn's contract's up next summer isn't it?

Plus, the bit on bold - nah, of course we have a chance.

1 hour ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

I think you’re right but I think with some mental supports in place we could do something with the Wheatfield that wouldn’t require the whole roof to come down. 

I am no engineer however.

How mental are we talking? Sky hooks?

2 hours ago, Bongo 1874 said:

image.jpeg.148c203dcca831adfbb9a66461335c70.jpeg

Looking at the sizes of those proposed new stands in comparison to the existing ones, I'd say the 32k capacity figure is extremely optimistic. I think you're looking at about 26-27k with that plan.  

Also, at a very rough guess, I'd say that would probably cost something like £60-75m. Budge and Anderson may be fans, but I'm not sure either of them would be inclined to put that sort of money in!

11 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

That would be the way forward. I never understood why we didn't cantilever the new stand and future proof the stadium for any future redevelopment, instead we tied ourselves in to a 3 decade old design. 

That said, I don't think we need a bigger ground. I'd rather it was full everyweek than have a half empty 30,000 seater. 

In the short term we could maybe modernise the façades of the 3 older stands. Perhaps clad it with clear corrugated polycarbonate panels like Dublin's Aviva Stadium and a wee lick of paint. 

If we are run properly as we should hopefully be now. Football and off the field. Then we can easily outgrow the stadium.  Our fan base is growing  and edinburgh is growing. Trying to at least purchase land off the North British would be a start.

Just now, FarmerTweedy said:

Looking at the sizes of those proposed new stands in comparison to the existing ones, I'd say the 32k capacity figure is extremely optimistic. I think you're looking at about 26-27k with that plan.  

Also, at a very rough guess, I'd say that would probably cost something like £60-75m. Budge and Anderson may be fans, but I'm not sure either of them would be inclined to put that sort of money in!

We could decide not to knock down our 7000 main stand and replace it with a 5200 one, that would be a good start.

2 hours ago, been here before said:

What a bizarre argument.

How many St Johnstone fans were at their cup finals last year?

I suppose based in that thinking McDiarmid should be upgraded to 25k.

About half of Dumfries rocked up to watch QoS in the final v Rangers. You seem to be arguing Palmerston should be a 20k plus stadium.

:rofl:

I think that argument would say McDairmid should be downgraded to about 200!

7 minutes ago, FarmerTweedy said:

Exactly - pie in the sky!

49 minutes ago, johnking123 said:

We were already constrained when rebuilding the Gorgie stand. I doubt we could do anything there due to the proximity of the tenements.

bigsuperslim1874
3 hours ago, AlimOzturk said:

Doubt we will outgrow the stadium anytime soon. For big European ties we will use Murrayfield. 

Bloody hope not. I’d rather have a sold out Tynie with some folk being disappointed for not getting a ticket than giving up a sporting advantage and playing at Murrayfield.

2 hours ago, WageThief said:

If it was gifted to us, it would be a massive benefit.  Even if only for derbies and OF games.  But in reality how much would such a thing cost?  How long would it take to build?  

Even if it can be done slowly (like one stand at a time) you've gotta wonder whether the cost would justify it.  Upgrading the Gorgie or School end would probably cost 10m at least (?) and would increase capacity by about 1500.  No idea what the value of each seat is on average per year, but I'd imagine we'd take a while to see any gains even if we were guaranteed to sell the seats.

At least the proposed Wheatfield would add 4k so if it's really a possibility then it is something that could happen I suppose.  

I'd rather just leave the school end and have the capacity at 30k anyway.  We'd be doing well to sell more than 27k home seats and would probably give the whole stand to the gruesome twosome and Hibs.  No point spending 10m to have an extra 1500 of them.

Leaving aside that it'll never happen anyway, and I very much doubt it would even fit 32k, how could you do it one stand at a time? And how could you leave the school end, sitting waaaay back from the pitch, and how does a 3.5k stand instead of a 10k one only reduce the capacity from 32k to 30k?

37 minutes ago, Smithee said:

It's always been just Tynecastle to me.

Not in the song it’s not! 😉

20 minutes ago, Gizmo said:

We were already constrained when rebuilding the Gorgie stand. I doubt we could do anything there due to the proximity of the tenements.

Some of our resident architects seem to have forgotten that……

2 hours ago, Fire_At_The_Disco said:

I reckon if we filled the corners between wheatfield and gorgie, wheatfield and roseburn it would be job done. I think these 2 can be engineered quite easily, anything connected to the steeper main is much harder. 

It can be done, but as has been pointed out probably somewhere in the region of around 250,000 times on jkb now, it would be extremely expensive. 

14 minutes ago, bigsuperslim1874 said:

Bloody hope not. I’d rather have a sold out Tynie with some folk being disappointed for not getting a ticket than giving up a sporting advantage and playing at Murrayfield.

100%

been here before

Whats the chances of so many structural engineers and architects all being on this one thread?

I'd imagine the odds are quite lengthy but here we are.

2 hours ago, Smith's right boot said:

FoH money should be used for such projects. 

Once we have about £15m in the bank from it we can look at the stadium or buy hibs. 

It should go to the fans to what we do. 

If we choose the latter option, what would we do with the other £14.9m?

Once we have about £15m in the bank from it we can look at the stadium or buy hibs. 

How can you buy what you already own? 

:greggy:

10 minutes ago, FarmerTweedy said:

Leaving aside that it'll never happen anyway, and I very much doubt it would even fit 32k, how could you do it one stand at a time? And how could you leave the school end, sitting waaaay back from the pitch, and how does a 3.5k stand instead of a 10k one only reduce the capacity from 32k to 30k?

I didn’t realise it involved moving the pitch etc. 😂

I was reading the wheatfield as being a new 10k stand. 

I don't think a helipad out front is to much to ask for. That crest thing is taking up way to much room. Get rid I say.

We have a Helipad, we are a real stadium, so there. 

bigsuperslim1874
12 minutes ago, 1971fozzy said:

100%

While I know in the past we needed extra money etc I just hate the great European nights we have missed by playing at Murrayfield….so many games we drew/lost which could have been won by playing at a raucous Tynie. 😤

Was having a wee google and found a bunch of mock ups someone has made on 3D warehouse which look awesome. Will put them in the spoiler below. 

Spoiler

tynecastle completed with corners 3d model

Tynecastle Stadium, Redeveloped Main Stand | 3D Warehouse

Big fan of that 2nd main stand. Also acutely aware I shouldn't be encouraging talk of filling in the corners :D Doubt thats even close to architecturally sound either but interesting to see what the corners might look like. 

20 minutes ago, been here before said:

Whats the chances of so many structural engineers and architects all being on this one thread?

:vrface:

We should of just made the main stand more bigger only a few years ago 😂 another 8/10 rows would of done the business. How many seats are in the back row from one end to the other about 180? X another 10 rows  another 1.8k onto current capacity reckon 22k would be ideal for us 

Edited by Stu_HMFC

pettigrewsstylist
4 hours ago, chrisyboy7 said:

Not sure why you are firing questions at me....you have clearly missed my point... You are clearly happy to have a very small stadium that we cant grow in therefor always struggle to achieve or even get near our potential.....If this is as good as it gets then fine......Now i know......Some people have ambition and dreams.....some don't and live in a cave,

Wow!

19 minutes ago, Der Kaiser said:

Go back to benches.

Capacity doubles.

I remember lots of leg room.

They could be three inches apart and double as foot rests. That works for me.🙂

2 hours ago, Sir Craig Gordon said:

Aberdeen brought 7k fans and Rangers had something like 15k fans there which bumps up the average.

Aberdeen brought around 5K in reality however, your point is valid.

4 hours ago, chrisyboy7 said:

Not sure why you are firing questions at me....you have clearly missed my point... You are clearly happy to have a very small stadium that we cant grow in therefor always struggle to achieve or even get near our potential.....If this is as good as it gets then fine......Now i know......Some people have ambition and dreams.....some don't and live in a cave,

Post of the year. For all the wrong reasons 🤣🤣🤣

9 minutes ago, Stu_HMFC said:

We should of just made the main stand more bigger only a few years ago 😂 another 8/10 rows would of done the business. How many seats are in the back row from one end to the other about 180? X another 10 rows  another 1.8k onto current capacity reckon 22k would be ideal for us 

It would have been. A bloody shame the main stand fell short in that regard. 

jamboinglasgow

I agree with you about FoH, its an extra source of income that many clubs dont have which can be ideal for investment in the club or infrastructure. I understand people arguing for it to be used to buy players but if the club is doing its job in recruiting and selling players on for much more while running in budget then its not really needed. 

As for Tynecastle, I agree with others there is no need to expand at the moment, we are not seeing more demand than seats, we have plenty of space for hospitality (I mean we have a whole floor in the new Stand which is a massive space still to be used.) But I would like the club to have long term plans drawing up if that was to change. I do think we have probably expanded Tynecastle as far as we can as we are locked in around us. The distillery is not going to move, the school is going to be turned into Student accomdation. They will never knock down the tenement buildings around the stadium. If things go really well and the club really grows in size and fanbase, we may face a tough decision, stay at  20,000 capacity or move out of Gorgie to build a new stadium.

Das Viertel Hearts
2 hours ago, Cruyff said:

Im not an engineer either but I have studied structural mechanics and architecture among other things. I'd imagine if we were to replace the floodlight trusses with a vertical pilaster or column then it would fall right in the middle of a corner stand obstructing views. If we wanted to fill in the corners without removing the roof, I'd imagine we would have to cantilever the existing structure or replace it.

I'm not an engineer either so I believe a brand new hard spaghetti and marzipan stand would be the way to go.  And what is the actual purpose of the roofs anyway?

2 hours ago, Thomaso said:

I assume bought during the Pieman era?

As part of “modernising the Clubs image” he changed the Club crest and changed Tynecastle to “Stadium” from “Park”! 😏

That's correct, and Ann Budge changed it back again.

5 hours ago, chrisyboy7 said:

Does anyone on this forum know or roughly know what can be achieved with our wonderful stadium. The club will know doubt grow steadily but can the stadium keep up......I love tyncastle never want to leave.....But can we make it bigger or not.....Currently just over 20k capacity....But in reality its not is it......The segregation needed is around a 600 seat loss..... along with various other parts of the ground that seem to be closed off at some games. 

The club have came so far and the new stand is an unbelievable achievement indeed even though i'm sure we all wish it was a few thousand bigger. I have since learned that it was the amazing Edinburgh council planning department that held it to the 7200 approx capacity....i could be wrong though.

a steady successful Hearts will only lead to a rise in demand for both home and away fans......There is so much potential income to be made long term....But is it possible to do so?

Fire away.........

Whoever taught you spelling and grammar is spinning in their grave ......

Was there talk of the Wheatfield only having a shelf life of 30 years or am I dreaming that. (What actually is it that dictates the shelf

life? Looks in decent shape to me) If that could be rebuilt further back to widen pitch (back to 68m) and add another 3/4K then I think that would cater for demand in the mid term (especially if we restrict Celtic and rangers to 1 or 2 sections of the school end .

27 minutes ago, bigsuperslim1874 said:

While I know in the past we needed extra money etc I just hate the great European nights we have missed by playing at Murrayfield….so many games we drew/lost which could have been won by playing at a raucous Tynie. 😤

Capacity for now looks about just right  

3 hours ago, Cruyff said:

Is it not the case that roof trusses are tied into the floodlight trusses?

I don't know if this is correct but I'm guessing the roof trustees are in tension, holding the roof structure but the actual load of the roof truss is transferred through the floodlight trusses into compression. 

So if we wanted to expand, we would need to change the entire roof structure? Which would cost tens of millions. 

I'm not entirely sure of all the details re tension, etc, but in general you're correct, the roof trusses support the actual roofs of the stands, and the trusses are themselves supported by the corner towers which also hold the floodlights. If you want to remove or relocate the corner towers, it's a huge job. Maybe "only" a few million rather than tens of them, if we're lucky! 

1 hour ago, been here before said:

Maybe none, but good fun to speculate nonetheless.

So let’s move the Ethanol tanks and expand the Wheatfield with FoH picking up the tab.

• davemclaren changed the title to TYNECASTLE STADIUM UPGRADE POTENTIAL - UEFA category 4 granted ( updated/merged )