TYNECASTLE STADIUM UPGRADE POTENTIAL - UEFA category 4 granted ( updated/merged )

rickyjambo

In our 147 years, when have we ever out grown our stadium? What makes you think we are suddenly going to now? I said on an other thread that 22k would probably be an ideal size, especially for Hibs, Celtic & Rangers games, but it's only ideal if were are consistently top 3. We've never done that in my 25 years of following the club.

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• davemclaren

• Sooks

• Watt-Zeefuik

• OTT

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just now, Sir Craig Gordon said:

In our 147 years, when have we ever out grown our stadium? What makes you think we are suddenly going to now? I said on an other thread that 22k would probably be an ideal size, especially for Hibs, Celtic & Rangers games, but it's only ideal if were are consistently top 3. We've never done that in my 25 years of following the club.

Waiting list for season tickets during the romanov era. 

Just now, Sir Craig Gordon said:

So one season.

You asked the question i answered it? Maybe the club can do more to attract fans to games, it's obvious we can take more with the points i made further up. 

Just now, Bongo 1874 said:

You asked the question i answered it? Maybe the club can do more to attract fans to games, it's obvious we can take more with the points i made further up. 

Don't pretend there isn't a point in there though.

The thing is, it's just not really doable without MAJOR expense, and anyway, with local pressures it's unlikely we'd even be allowed to increase capacity by much if at all.

30 minutes ago, been here before said:

Cornurssssss.

Dae the cornurssss.

Make the Wheatfield bigger but its the cornurssss.

This would involve removing the floodlighting.  This is a problem as the support towers form part of the structure for the stands.  It would prove to be an expensive refurbishment in relation to the number of seats it would add.

Just now, Bongo 1874 said:

Yes you did answer it but should we expand because of 1 season? We then finished 8th few seasons later, where was the waiting list then? As I originally said, unless we are consistently top 3 there is absolutely no point trying to make Tynecastle bigger.

Niemi’s gloves
15 minutes ago, FarmerTweedy said:

This thread is much needed, haven’t had one on this topic for hours!

Although the OP should be banned for life from jkb for not knowing how to spell Tynecastle! 

To be fair, one of the numerous Hearts mugs I possess, bought perhaps 30 years ago, is labelled “Tyncastle Stadium”.

I’m pretty sure it came from the club shop! 

21 minutes ago, Restonbabe said:

Double tier wheatfield. Box in or incorporate the Gorgie Road end into one whole stand complete with a corner to emulate the main stand. Upgraded everything including hospitality suites (boxes) bars and fanzone. 

Might as well dream big 

11 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

Waiting list for season tickets during the romanov era. 

That was because he capped the limit Hearts would sell to give him some cash flow during the season because he spent all the season ticket  income before August was over. 

Just now, frankblack said:

The OP started dishing out the abuse completely unprovoked when he didn't like an answer opposed to his.

Wrong you asked him what do you think the capacity should be and would well fill it, asking this question you know right away,you're agenda is to put him on the back foot, as he can't possibly answer any of them questions, it also comes across as really insulting because as it stands currently Hibs have more capacity than us, now if there is any team in Edinburgh close to selling out it's not Hibs is it. 

The OP has raised a valid point, do you really think with 20k we can sustain Robbies and savages plans of challenging rangers and celtic or could we give Robbie and the club an even better chance of closing the gap by getting more people to tynecastle. 

Can we keep the likes of Woodburn at Hearts with an up to date stadium. 

And really turn hearts into a force in Scottish football? 

Because whether you like it or not we're based in the capital, we have supporters from England all over the UK that come to watch us, America if I've missed anyone then i apologise. 

Hearts are all over the world. 

And i think we can attract more fans to our great club, and i think evidence proves that we have done exactly that in the past. 

1 minute ago, Niemi’s gloves said:

To be fair, one of the numerous Hearts mugs I possess, bought perhaps 30 years ago, is labelled “Tyncastle Stadium”.

I’m pretty sure it came from the club shop! 

:laugh2:

Bazzas right boot

Some of the down sides of staying at Tynecastle were-

The pitch is too small for certain European games. 

Expansion is limited in terms of actual size and the return on any investment to do it. 

I was happy to stay at Tynecastle but a  25k all singing and dancing number outside of town would have given us  the opportunity to have a bigger a stadium. 

That ship has sailed at least for 15/20 years. 

If anything if we become European regulars we should make the pitch bigger, this would further reduce capacity. 

Just now, Smithee said:

Don't pretend there isn't a point in there though.

The thing is, it's just not really doable without MAJOR expense, and anyway, with local pressures it's unlikely we'd even be allowed to increase capacity by much if at all.

Heaton jambo has already shown what could be done, we could expand to 32k if we had the demand for it. 

Just now, Disco Ball said:

That was because he capped the limit Hearts would sell to give him some cash flow during the season because he spent all the season ticket  income before August was over. 

And because the demand was there 👍

41 minutes ago, chrisyboy7 said:

Not sure why you are firing questions at me....you have clearly missed my point... You are clearly happy to have a very small stadium that we cant grow in therefor always struggle to achieve or even get near our potential.....If this is as good as it gets then fine......Now i know......Some people have ambition and dreams.....some don't and live in a cave,

So you don't live in a cave, but you have only just realised that it is difficult to expand capacity at Tynie?

3 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

Heaton jambo has already shown what could be done, we could expand to 32k if we had the demand for it. 

I don't see that post, but I didn't say it couldn't be done, I said it's not really doable without major expense.

And, like I said, the stadium's inside the blast zone from the distillery, no way we'd be allowed to increase to 32k.

Just now, Smith's right boot said:

Some of the down sides of staying at Tynecastle were-

The pitch is too small for certain European games. 

Expansion is limited in terms of actual size and the return on any investment to do it. 

I was happy to stay at Tynecastle but a  25k all singing and dancing number outside of town would have given us  the opportunity to have a bigger a stadium. 

That ship has sailed at least for 15/20 years. 

If anything if we become European regulars we should make the pitch bigger, this would further reduce capacity. 

Has it though? with James Anderson at the helm Ann is not short of money 😉

If Ann and James want to cement there legacy forever at Hearts what better way to give us a stadium, that will benefit us in years to come, will attract better players and will close the gap on those feckers, Gorgie Rules!!! 

8 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

Can you link to this / the posts if possible?

Different Class
59 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Nothing 

At its final maximum 

Could have closed thread here. Debating should we / shouldn't we for the rest of time doesn't make expansion possible. Wheatfield and Roseburn can only be extended backwards with the purchase of land that will not happen, due to the cost involved making the very limited extra capacity pointless.

Tbf, why can't we have a fence/dividing line type thing in Roseburn, to segregate away fans (similar to how dandy dons have it) to reduce the amount of seats used as segregation at present and wasting seats/revenue...

alex young hero

I seem to remember we have restrictions on the Tynecastle footprint due the school and the nearby industrial units a health and safety issue perhaps.

Bazzas right boot
10 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

Has it though? with James Anderson at the helm Ann is not short of money 😉

If Ann and James want to cement there legacy forever at Hearts what better way to give us a stadium, that will benefit us in years to come, will attract better players and will close the gap on those feckers, Gorgie Rules!!! 

All money for the next 5 years or so should be going towards the team. 

If we get 3rd 5/6 times in a row then we can look to close the gap then. 

We've not even regularly the 3rd best team yet. 

Save the FoH money for such future projects. 

The gap is chasm even if we reached a level we haven’t even  reached yet. 

been here before
50 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

Just a quick question for the smart arses on here, as the mods seem to think it's alright to watch someone get slaughtered, has the op said something out of place? 

Anyway remind me how much Hearts had at the Scottish Cup final against Gretna?

How much fans did Hearts have at murrayfield? Semi against celtic and league games we played? 

And how many against celtic in the cup final? 

What a bizarre argument.

How many St Johnstone fans were at their cup finals last year?

I suppose based in that thinking McDiarmid should be upgraded to 25k.

About half of Dumfries rocked up to watch QoS in the final v Rangers. You seem to be arguing Palmerston should be a 20k plus stadium.

:rofl:

Edited by been here before

https://www.londonhearts.com/charts/averagel.htm

Not sure of the underlying demand tbh, appreciate we are coming off the back of a pandemic and currently on a roll but history would suggest it's a waste of money.

Some thoughts on how to 'expand' match day income; safe standing, HeartsTV + PPV...

Think there is quite a decent sized diaspora that can't physically be there but are happy to pay to watch from whatever corner of the globe (or UK) they are in.

kingantti1874

Not impossible at all from an engineering perspective .  Would be expensive.. something we should be planning for but not a current priority 

We need to prove we can consistently fill 3.5 stands before throwing money at the stadium again. There's a reason the old firm get the full roseburn.

17 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

image.jpeg.148c203dcca831adfbb9a66461335c70.jpeg

The only issue that I see there is it's not so much what can be done to the existing stadium, rather more rip it down and build it the other way round...

2 minutes ago, trotter said:

The only issue that I see there is it's not so much what can be done to the existing stadium, rather more rip it down and build it the other way round...

I imagine you would also have to buy every adjacent property on Gorgie Road given they would never see the Sun again out the back. 

4 minutes ago, trotter said:

Could be done in stages over a few years. Knock down the wheatfield 1st turn the pitch around. Simples. 

7 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

Ah so we turn our pitch around 90 degrees and we knock down or decrease the capacity of our new main stand and replace it with a new shiny 5k capacity one and then do the same to the Wheatfeild. We then knock down or expand the Gorgie and Roseburn stands to give us two new shiny stands with a combined capacity of 22k between them.

How many millions do we think this would cost the club?..... history would  also tell us that we would never fill a 32k stadium for run of the mill league games against so called smaller clubs.

Budge and Co. made Tynecastle as absolutely large as it can be, in terms of total occupancy, so long as the large ethanol tanks at our end of NBDC are still there. Unless NBDC can be convinced to move those tanks further away from the stadium or if they relocate for some other reason, we cannot expand.

However, neither of those are impossible to imagine. The problem isn't just that the distillery is there, but that there are large tanks of refined ethanol located at the end of their property closest to Tynecastle. I believe years and years ago NBDC told Hearts that they could move the tanks but that they would want Hearts to help pay for it and the cost would be £1.5m, a number which I assume has gone up with inflation since then.

Should we decide to do it, the obvious (to me) next step in Tynecastle redevelopment is a major expansion or rebuild of the Wheatfield. I don't know if it would be better to cantilever a new tier over top of the existing seats or build a whole new stand, but it's the one space on the Tynecastle property that has plenty of room for expansion, and would give any new upper seats a grand view of the castle over the the top of the main. The total cost would probably be in the £15-20m, although if an expansion option that left the existing stand largely in tact existed, it might be lower, but I doubt it.

However, the club just got done paying off the debt for the redeveloped main stand, I don't think we should be eager to rush into debt so soon.

Maybe in 5 years.

been here before
14 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

Not impossible at all from an engineering perspective .  Would be expensive.. something we should be planning for but not a current priority 

27 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

Ahhh yes the JKB Experts on Everything, this time football stadium engineering, have arrived.

adambraejambo

2 minutes ago, Boyces beard said:

Ah so we turn our pitch around 90 degrees and we knock down or decrease the capacity of our new main stand and replace it with a new shiny 5k capacity one and then do the same to the Wheatfeild. We then knock down or expand the Gorgie and Roseburn stands to give us two new shiny stands with a combined capacity of 22k between them.

How many millions do we think this would cost the club?..... history would  also tell us that we would never fill a 32k stadium for run of the mill league games against so called smaller clubs.

Can't wait till we have a massive game v Rangers and we have a Rangers fan come on pretending to be one of us asking if anyone has a spare ticket. "Sure mate you can have mine in row 66 of the main stand" then once he away we can mock him as we know it only goes up to 65

15 minutes ago, maroon66 said:

Looking at making the 2nd floor of the main stand into a 12 room hotel,change of use etc.

Makes sense but only 12 rooms?

2 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

If it was gifted to us, it would be a massive benefit.  Even if only for derbies and OF games.  But in reality how much would such a thing cost?  How long would it take to build?  

Even if it can be done slowly (like one stand at a time) you've gotta wonder whether the cost would justify it.  Upgrading the Gorgie or School end would probably cost 10m at least (?) and would increase capacity by about 1500.  No idea what the value of each seat is on average per year, but I'd imagine we'd take a while to see any gains even if we were guaranteed to sell the seats.

At least the proposed Wheatfield would add 4k so if it's really a possibility then it is something that could happen I suppose.  

I'd rather just leave the school end and have the capacity at 30k anyway.  We'd be doing well to sell more than 27k home seats and would probably give the whole stand to the gruesome twosome and Hibs.  No point spending 10m to have an extra 1500 of them.

We are a growing club. Even when we where dross and getting relegated, attendance's where surprisingly high. We finish third this season and continue to build a good squad. Stadium could be come to small in few years time again. Edinburgh is a fast growing city and we can easily tap into that growth. 

Tynie is plenty big enough. 

For the big games that folk can't get tickets for - tough titties - should have gone to more games for the LP's. 

Really not worth expanding so a few Johnny-Come-Latelys can make a game or two a season and the rest of the time we have thousands of vacant seats. Example: Easter Road. 

Tynie packed with regular fans. Magic. 

I'm sure I read somewhere we're evolving into larger human beings, so the capacity is going to go down as we widen the seats.

Sad times ahead ☹️

Fire_At_The_Disco

I reckon if we filled the corners between wheatfield and gorgie, wheatfield and roseburn it would be job done. I think these 2 can be engineered quite easily, anything connected to the steeper main is much harder. 

• davemclaren changed the title to TYNECASTLE STADIUM UPGRADE POTENTIAL - UEFA category 4 granted ( updated/merged )