TYNECASTLE STADIUM UPGRADE POTENTIAL - UEFA category 4 granted ( updated/merged )

rickyjambo

I think that whole section of the city has let an opportunity go by, the distillery should have been relocated, the school built on a different section of the site, Tynecastle rebuilt and the roads etc all re-routed better than they are.  I know it's not as easy as that, but it's such a large footprint and so so bitty.

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• davemclaren

• Sooks

• Watt-Zeefuik

• OTT

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 23/05/2021 at 11:51, jbee647 said:

The distillery has been there since 1885, it’s definitely not going anywhere soon, certainly not in this lifetime 

Time they moved to a more suitable site then!

9 hours ago, Mysterion said:

Looked further into the proposals - this PDF is pretty good to be fair. 

https://oldtynecastlehigh.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/05/TSS_CommunityConsultation_Final_a1size.pdf

Now i've looked over the info - there's absolutely no way that can go ahead. They want to build a new apartment block parallel to the fuel containers on the distillery site. 

I don't see how health and safety can sign off a round the clock habitable building yards from two towers of highly flammable chemicals. 

After the hassle we got from the council on alleged H&S and environmental issues when we built the new stand, the building of accommodation for hundreds of students must have more concerns surely!

30 minutes ago, Thomaso said:

After the hassle we got from the council on alleged H&S and environmental issues when we built the new stand, the building of accommodation for hundreds of students must have more concerns surely!

You would think right?! Reading the amount of references to sustainability makes my skin crawl. Clearly just telling the council what they want to hear. 

Edinburgh needs affordable housing. Rent has went beyond a bad joke and the influx of students have only made that worse (plus airbnb) IMO the unis need to take responsibility for this and create places for these students on the outskirts of the city, there needs to be a proper investigation on it because it’s clearly out of control and something needs to give. 

Council clearly don’t give a **** as long as sustainability features. Cringy how cynical that application comes across. 

Fxxx the SPFL
10 hours ago, Saint Jambo said:

I don't really get the objections to student accomodation. The site has been vacant for a decade. It isn't building student accomodation on it that is stopping affordable housing being built there. If the students aren't in that type of accomodation they will be competing for existing traditional housing stock, pushing rental and house prices up for other residents.

From a Hearts perspective, I'd like to think the key thing is considering how a 500 student development on our doorstep might present opportunities for the use of Tynecastle outside of match days. For example does it create an opportunity for a more profitable bar/ cafe operating during the week? Would there be enough interest in a budget gym? These kind of businesses might be more viable with 500 additional students, but would also benefit existing local residents.

great points there.

John Findlay
1 hour ago, Thomaso said:

Time they moved to a more suitable site then!

Haymarket Station and Waverley have been in their respective sites from 1843(Waverley) and 1846(Haymarket).

Despite working in the railway, I would argue that both stations have definitely outlived their present sites. 

Here is the thing, where could they be relocated too?

Same with the distillery, where do you suggest it's relocated too?

Tokyo Drifter
10 hours ago, john thomas said:

You think .

Cars are being chased out of cities all over the world . Madness to think otherwise

Cars need to be chased out of cities all over the world.

10 minutes ago, Tokyo Drifter said:

It is happening and people are having a problem accepting it .

It affects me a lot but I can't argue against it

17 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

Haymarket Station and Waverley have been in their respective sites from 1843(Waverley) and 1846(Haymarket).

Despite working in the railway, I would argue that both stations have definitely outlived their present sites. 

I have a memory of reading a post or a news story about the distillery buying and setting up an operations site out of the city. It could be that they move out there and scale back their operation in the city centre. 

From an HMFC perspective if they moved away from the area and we were able to obtain the school land (including redeveloping it for social housing) then it would be good to obtain all/some of the distilery land.

It would allow for more comfort if redeveloping the Wheatfield/Roseburn stands if we ever wanted to grow the capacity/hospitality/commercial ops of the stadium. 

Complete fantasy development stuff though. 

32 minutes ago, Mysterion said:

I have a memory of reading a post or a news story about the distillery buying and setting up an operations site out of the city. It could be that they move out there and scale back their operation in the city centre. 

From an HMFC perspective if they moved away from the area and we were able to obtain the school land (including redeveloping it for social housing) then it would be good to obtain all/some of the distilery land.

It would allow for more comfort if redeveloping the Wheatfield/Roseburn stands if we ever wanted to grow the capacity/hospitality/commercial ops of the stadium. 

It is. Probably cheaper with a whole new build out of town. It’s not a problem I expect to see in my lifetime though. 

29 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

It is. Probably cheaper with a whole new build out of town. It’s not a problem I expect to see in my lifetime though. 

No doubt it would be cheaper. 

However we've come far and the club's literal heart should always be in Gorgie. 

I hope to see our club build up over time. I do feel we can build our fan base over the next couple of decades in order to drive revenue that will allow us to narrow and overhaul the Old Firm's grip. 

3 minutes ago, Mysterion said:

No doubt it would be cheaper. 

However we've come far and the club's literal heart should always be in Gorgie. 

I hope to see our club build up over time. I do feel we can build our fan base over the next couple of decades in order to drive revenue that will allow us to narrow and overhaul the Old Firm's grip. 

Had to predict where football is going with social and technology changes. A small stadium and large streaming base might be the future. 🤷‍♂️

Howdy Doody Jambo
1 hour ago, Tokyo Drifter said:

People are being priced out of the cities as central accommodation becomes too expensive for less space, all over the world houses being built on greenbelt land destroying the environment and wildlife with city councils granting planning permission in the first place , people have little choice of cars to commute partially to work as infrastructure is not always in place The clowncils and governments are only interested in the money 

Bazzas right boot
43 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Had to predict where football is going with social and technology changes. A small stadium and large streaming base might be the future. 🤷‍♂️

Vitrual reality attendance will be a thing in the Future. 

Virtual reality will change everything once it becomes affordable. 

Stick on your vr headset and you'll be transported to the event which you'll watch live. 

2 hours ago, Mysterion said:

North British have another site out at West Calder, but that's purely warehousing for casks. The distillery is a joint venture between Edrington (their only grain distillery which goes to make Grouse etc) and Diageo, who have Cameronbridge over in Fife (North British acts as a contingency more than anything else in case the Brig is down for whatever reason). Therefore it's unlikely either party would be keen to close NB, unless they were to relocate, which would cost a fortune and probably wouldn't be outweighed by the income from selling the site.

1 hour ago, Craig_ said:

North British have another site out at West Calder, but that's purely warehousing for casks. The distillery is a joint venture between Edrington (their only grain distillery which goes to make Grouse etc) and Diageo, who have Cameronbridge over in Fife (North British acts as a contingency more than anything else in case the Brig is down for whatever reason). Therefore it's unlikely either party would be keen to close NB, unless they were to relocate, which would cost a fortune and probably wouldn't be outweighed by the income from selling the site.

So need a multi rollover Euro Millions winner in the support to make this happen. 😄

4 hours ago, Tokyo Drifter said:

9ETvajW.gif

Pasquale for King
24 minutes ago, Mysterion said:

So need a multi rollover Euro Millions winner in the support to make this happen. 😄

Like a hedge fund multi millionaire type guy 🤔😜

7 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Like a hedge fund multi millionaire type guy 🤔😜

He's not gonna bite for that.... 

Pasquale for King
52 minutes ago, Mysterion said:

He's not gonna bite for that.... 

Depends on what we want to do with it, if it’s community based who knows. 

6 hours ago, John Findlay said:

Out at the Gyle - lots of development land there

Fxxx the SPFL
7 minutes ago, Thomaso said:

Out at the Gyle - lots of development land there

David Murray owns loads of land there does he not 

21 minutes ago, **** the SPFL said:

David Murray owns loads of land there does he not 

He used to - not sure if the Bank now own it after MIM went bust.

Watt-Zeefuik
6 hours ago, Mysterion said:

Sorry if this has been said but back when the main stand was being built the #1 restriction on the capacity was the COMAH restrictions because of the presence of high concentration ethanol in the NB tanks.

If somehow NB magically went away and that land became available, you could move the community pitch about 50 m west and there would be plenty of room to either expand or rebuild the Wheatfield as a two-tier stand. This could easily add 6k seats, possibly more, and really get an even more dramatic view of the castle over the new main than we thought we were getting in the hospitality suites there.

The actual new amount of land for the stadium would be pretty minimal, and it would be mid-block land that's less valuable.

I have a planning degree but know nothing about whisky production economics so no clue whatsoever about how likely it is that NB will pull up stakes and move further out of town. That said, with housing prices and hotel demand in Edinburgh, that's a pretty big chunk of land they're sitting on and with a bit of pedestrian improvement it could be a hotel site that's walkable to Murrayfield or housing that was a longer walk to Haymarket.

tynecastle.jpg

• 1 month later...
kingantti1874

Poor that it will be used for accommodation. Could have been really useful to us in future if we could have got our hands on it . 

• 1 month later...

Does anyone on this forum know or roughly know what can be achieved with our wonderful stadium. The club will know doubt grow steadily but can the stadium keep up......I love tyncastle never want to leave.....But can we make it bigger or not.....Currently just over 20k capacity....But in reality its not is it......The segregation needed is around a 600 seat loss..... along with various other parts of the ground that seem to be closed off at some games. 

The club have came so far and the new stand is an unbelievable achievement indeed even though i'm sure we all wish it was a few thousand bigger. I have since learned that it was the amazing Edinburgh council planning department that held it to the 7200 approx capacity....i could be wrong though.

a steady successful Hearts will only lead to a rise in demand for both home and away fans......There is so much potential income to be made long term....But is it possible to do so?

Fire away.........

There isn't really a lot of room to upgrade anything other than the Wheatfield and filling in corners.  Given the difficulty and enclosed space the stadium is in you would wonder if a need arose for substantially bigger capacity we would have to move to a new ground..

I wouldn't expect any major stadium development to be a priority in the next 15 years, however.

2 minutes ago, frankblack said:

There isn't really a lot of room to upgrade anything other than the Wheatfield and filling in corners.  Given the difficulty and enclosed space the stadium is in you would wonder if a need arose for substantially bigger capacity we would have to move to a new ground..

I wouldn't expect any major stadium development to be a priority in the next 15 years, however.

This is disapointing

Just now, chrisyboy7 said:

This is disapointing

What exactly do you think our capacity should be and how often do you think it would get filled?

Say we wanted to add another tier onto the Wheatfield, how much do you think that would cost if it was even possible, and where would Hearts play while this development was going on?

Given we have just spent a fortune on the new main stand, do you think investing in the playing squad should be a priority over building a new stand for a demand we don't know if we will satisfy?

1 minute ago, frankblack said:

What exactly do you think our capacity should be and how often do you think it would get filled?

Say we wanted to add another tier onto the Wheatfield, how much do you think that would cost if it was even possible, and where would Hearts play while this development was going on?

Given we have just spent a fortune on the new main stand, do you think investing in the playing squad should be a priority over building a new stand for a demand we don't know if we will satisfy?

Not sure why you are firing questions at me....you have clearly missed my point... You are clearly happy to have a very small stadium that we cant grow in therefor always struggle to achieve or even get near our potential.....If this is as good as it gets then fine......Now i know......Some people have ambition and dreams.....some don't and live in a cave,

2 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

Doubt we will outgrow the stadium anytime soon. For big European ties we will use Murrayfield. 

You are correct but im not talking about tomorrow.....but it will be too small sooner that you think....unless Craig levein makes a return.....

Not sure why you are firing questions at me....you have clearly missed my point... You are clearly happy to have a very small stadium that we cant grow in therefor always struggle to achieve or even get near our potential.....If this is as good as it gets then fine......Now i know......Some people have ambition and dreams.....some don't and live in a cave,

:cornette:

Keep taking those tablets.  Maybe if you have a spare £40m+ you could donate it to FOH to get it built?

jambo-in-furness

We need a definite segregation fence,  size of away fans area to be probably one section,  make the away fans stay a period of time after the final whistle while the home fans disperse,  this is commonplace in other countries. 

Reorganise and put more turnstiles at the wheat field entrance.

With a permanent fence we can segregate or when necessary give the full Roseburn to the away fans.

There isn’t even enough demand now to even think about increasing capacity.

Even if we could it would be far too costly to redevelop. Tynecastle has reached or maximum and we don’t need to expand.

Just now, frankblack said:

Keep taking those tablets.  Maybe if you have a spare £40m+ you could donate it to FOH to get it built?

Can i ask how long you have had a season ticket at Easter Road.....You really should go and derail another thread as this one is for the ones that know the answers not the spoon burners.....Seriously you sound like you have nothing better to do than express negativity.....

I was asking a simple bunch of questions.....you clearly have no idea....My queston was not what the costs would be but what was possible....pmsl....join a reading class....

Double tier wheatfield. Box in or incorporate the Gorgie Road end into one whole stand complete with a corner to emulate the main stand. Upgraded everything including hospitality suites (boxes) bars and fanzone. 

Might as well dream big 

4 minutes ago, frankblack said:

yeah - come on frank! you're so negative. please reply saying we should be building a 50,000 all seater stadium so you can prove you have dreams and ambition......and also a complete lack of reality. 🤣🤪

Does anyone on this forum know or roughly know what can be achieved with our wonderful stadium. The club will know doubt grow steadily but can the stadium keep up......I love tyncastle never want to leave.....But can we make it bigger or not.....Currently just over 20k capacity....But in reality its not is it......The segregation needed is around a 600 seat loss..... along with various other parts of the ground that seem to be closed off at some games. 

The club have came so far and the new stand is an unbelievable achievement indeed even though i'm sure we all wish it was a few thousand bigger. I have since learned that it was the amazing Edinburgh council planning department that held it to the 7200 approx capacity....i could be wrong though.

a steady successful Hearts will only lead to a rise in demand for both home and away fans......There is so much potential income to be made long term....But is it possible to do so?

Fire away.........

Ignore the hate you are spot on, if we want to challenge both celtic and rangers we will have too expand at some point, as celtic are looking into options to expand and so are rangers. 

1 minute ago, chrisyboy7 said:

Can i ask how long you have had a season ticket at Easter Road.....You really should go and derail another thread as this one is for the ones that know the answers not the spoon burners.....Seriously you sound like you have nothing better to do than express negativity.....

Seriously that is the best you can come up with against someone who has been registered on here longer than you have "supported" Hearts?  Oh dear. :rofl:

1 minute ago, chrisyboy7 said:

I was asking a simple bunch of questions.....you clearly have no idea....My queston was not what the costs would be but what was possible....pmsl....join a reading class....

You and simple sound about right.  You got abusive when you didn't like the perfectly reasonable answer I gave.

4 minutes ago, chrisyboy7 said:

:laugh2: behave!

In short though, without demolition I doubt much more would be possible

2 minutes ago, Jim Panzee said:

yeah - come on frank! you're so negative. please reply saying we should be building a 50,000 all seater stadium so you can prove you have dreams and ambition......and also a complete lack of reality. 🤣🤪

Maybe if Wallace had got his way and shut down his mob we could be a one club city and get those kinds of crowds.

This thread is much needed, haven’t had one on this topic for hours!

Although the OP should be banned for life from jkb for not knowing how to spell Tynecastle! 

• Maple Leaf changed the title to TYNECASTLE STADIUM UPGRADE POTENTIAL?
1 minute ago, FarmerTweedy said:

Although the OP should be banned for life from jkb for not knowing how to spell Tynecastle! 

He has most likely only seen it on the TV to be fair.

One for the classics I think.

35 minutes ago, chrisyboy7 said:

Fire away.........

Is there an echo in here? 🙄

3 minutes ago, FarmerTweedy said:

Also, it’s Tynecastle Park (not stadium) C8B4703D-CE53-429D-89B6-8419FB4E89DE.gif.b18bdde83bb27736979918bf1bf840ad.gif

• davemclaren changed the title to TYNECASTLE STADIUM UPGRADE POTENTIAL - UEFA category 4 granted ( updated/merged )