TYNECASTLE STADIUM UPGRADE POTENTIAL - UEFA category 4 granted ( updated/merged )

rickyjambo

Phil D. Corners
12 minutes ago, merseyjambo said:

I know it might be a bit basic, but I think we could do with improving the food kiosk areas and have a bit of a revamp of what’s offered.

The difference in the quality of food at some grounds is quite remarkable. Man City and Man United are prime examples. The food at City is off the scale whereas at United it’s still pretty much what was served up at pie stands about 20 years ago. 

I’m not talking hummus and falafels but maybe looking at offering things like fish and chips, that sort of thing. Something maybe a bit more substantial than a pie. 

Are the concourse TVs working yet??? Maybe put Hearts TV on prior to game, show the game in home concourse only (quite common in England) via City TV, MUTV etc. 

Some of these things may have already happened as I’ve not had a chance to get up this season due to work commitments.

I know they were talking about putting big screens up in ground.

Some little cosmetic changes would go a long way. 

I would like to have game shown in the concourse so you don’t miss anything if you go to grab a pie/drink before half time. I’ve seen this at German grounds. 

Wouldn’t mind a pie stand to be open at full time for a take away pie too. 

Let me me know when we can talk hummus and falafels. 🤤

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• davemclaren

• Sooks

• Watt-Zeefuik

• OTT

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

bobby bombscare

Reading this made me have another look through the Aberdeen stadium plans... they're DROPPING their capacity from over 20k to 16-17k. I can't help but feel that clubs have resided themselves to the fact that the OF are here to stay. 

I'm still hoping we can ship them off down south by 2030... At that point we would be sitting with one of the most competitive leagues there is. 

If they were allowed to leave, not only would we lose their bigotry, we would also lose the SFA corruption, the bias of the referees, the unfair spread of finances to favour the top 2 and more European opportunities for the remaining clubs. 

Honestly, i think it would really help the Scottish game grow (and our club) if we were to get rid of the OF. Then we fill a 30k stadium easy.

7 minutes ago, bobby bombscare said:

Honestly, i think it would really help the Scottish game grow (and our club) if we were to get rid of the OF. Then we fill a 30k stadium easy.

If we made them cease to exist I'd agree. However if by some (unlikely) miracle they were to join the EPL then even more fans would flock to them. Well at least until they realised they wouldn't be winning trophies. 

3 hours ago, Phil D. Corners said:

I would like to have game shown in the concourse so you don’t miss anything if you go to grab a pie/drink before half time. I’ve seen this at German grounds. 

I remember going to a Canadian football game in Edmonton away back in 1986 and even then the Canadians had close circuit tv in the concourses, bars and even the toilets showing the game. We are literally decades behind the curve on this one.

5 hours ago, EIEIO said:

Always thought a footbridge(s) or underpass should have been built at Murrayfield tram stop to allow better access to Gorgie. Even an additional tram stop at Russell Road would open things up more.  

It's incredible that the council haven't done what you have suggested. Is this yet another example of the politicos catering to the middle class Rugby Union types and ignoring the hoi poli at the football?

21 hours ago, Led Tasso said:

Why are we talking about rotating the ground again?

Rotating the pitch was an interesting idea when we were re-doing the main stand but now it would require demolishing our brand new stand or devaluing many of its seats.

There's room for a wider field and a 25k Wheatfield stand if we could fill it and if we could get planning permission. We can't currently fill it and planning permission would be extremely tricky and likely require big payments to NBDC.

There definitely is NOT room for a 25k Wheatfield stand!

4 minutes ago, ejbh said:

Talking of stadium developments, does anyone know what the plan is for the second floor of the new stand? More hospitality space? 

Plans not yet confirmed. 

8 hours ago, davemclaren said:

I imagine they discussed it when the built the new main stand and came to the conclusion that it will likely see us through the next few decades. 

Even if that is true, we're half a decade into that already.

A question in many folks' minds is: is "seeing us through" enough?

If this season ends well and we get into Europe, I suspect next season could even bring 10 matches in which we could sell more tickets than we have seats. There are at least 6 of those every season in any case, and there are 24 more seasons like that before the hypothetical  "few decades" is up.

The ability to plan multiple things simultaneously is a trait that probably marks out winners from losers. If the Club can't forward-plan to sell more tickets while also building a strong team, then we'll forever be the 3rd force at best and won't have a chance of being anything better.

The ridiculous notion that raises its head on here in debates such as this that the Club shouldn't be thinking about stadium expansion until the day we need it ... it is actually an embarrassing lack of forethought and ambition.

I wonder if James Anderson knows any good structural engineers who would be interested in a stadium expansion project.

5 hours ago, Phil D. Corners said:

Can you not go 90 minutes without eating?

11 minutes ago, Hearts_fan said:

If this season ends well and we get into Europe, I suspect next season could even bring 10 matches in which we could sell more tickets than we have seats. There are at least 6 of those every season in any case, and there are 24 more seasons like that before the hypothetical  "few decades" is up.

The ability to plan multiple things simultaneously is a trait that probably marks out winners from losers. If the Club can't forward-plan to sell more tickets while also building a strong team, then we'll forever be the 3rd force at best and won't have a chance of being anything better.

The ridiculous notion that raises its head on here in debates such as this that the Club shouldn't be thinking about stadium expansion until the day we need it ... it is actually an embarrassing lack of forethought and ambition.

So they should have a plan now for the next major construction project in 30 years time? We are still paying off debts accrued over the last few seasons and haven’t even completed the current main stand. 

We won’t be requiring much, if any, more than our current capacity for a while, if ever. 

kingantti1874
5 hours ago, bobby bombscare said:

Reading this made me have another look through the Aberdeen stadium plans... they're DROPPING their capacity from over 20k to 16-17k. I can't help but feel that clubs have resided themselves to the fact that the OF are here to stay. 

I'm still hoping we can ship them off down south by 2030... At that point we would be sitting with one of the most competitive leagues there is. 

If they were allowed to leave, not only would we lose their bigotry, we would also lose the SFA corruption, the bias of the referees, the unfair spread of finances to favour the top 2 and more European opportunities for the remaining clubs. 

aberdeen is a city on the decline, their home support has been pish for years.. and is dwindling further..

in 20 years they will be another Dundee Utd

58 minutes ago, ejbh said:

Talking of stadium developments, does anyone know what the plan is for the second floor of the new stand? More hospitality space? 

I believe they are putting some individual rooms for hospitality along with a dozen or so hotel rooms. Should have some updated drawings in for pricing soon🤞

2 hours ago, FarmerTweedy said:

There definitely is NOT room for a 25k Wheatfield stand!

By giving up nothing but some parking and part of the community pitch, there is enough room back there to, figuratively, pick up the Bill Struth stand or the Celtic Park north stand and drop it in place.

NBDC has consistently said that they won't stand in the way of Hearts' expansion out of spite but that they would expect us to cover their costs to ameliorate the changes (both in property value and in moving hazardous materials further away from the stand). Those costs, combined with the fact that we obviously couldn't consistently fill that stand, make this an exercise in pure fantasy.

However, quantity of vacant ground is not the problem.

Guest ToqueJambo
9 hours ago, Mysterion said:

It was a bit tongue n cheek. :lol:

Leveraged buy out time... :lol:

After our association with Succession/Waystar Royco I feel we should be making big deals. 

Yeah man - you get companies becoming bigger with different divisions - there has been a trend for some of the big companies (conglomerates) to sell off divisions and focus on core activities recently. I'm not talking about being the size of those companies but on a smaller basis we have opportunities to create jobs and support people.

Already we have Hearts Hospitality which operates as a separate business supplying external services. The profits of this activity benefit the club.

There are other options out there (ethical property management for example) but funding (to allow expansion) our commercial activities (that aren't always football related) to create new revenue streams should be a purpose of FoH in my opinion. 

Hospitality seems to make sense - that's another revenue stream that connects to our main business not a completely different business. I thought you meant buying a successful laundrette or some other random business 🤣

Just now, Led Tasso said:

By giving up nothing but some parking and part of the community pitch, there is enough room back there to, figuratively, pick up the Bill Struth stand or the Celtic Park north stand and drop it in place.

NBDC has consistently said that they won't stand in the way of Hearts' expansion out of spite but that they would expect us to cover their costs to ameliorate the changes (both in property value and in moving hazardous materials further away from the stand). Those costs, combined with the fact that we obviously couldn't consistently fill that stand, make this an exercise in pure fantasy.

However, quantity of vacant ground is not the problem.

That stand holds 21,500 🙂

crane-grua.gif

Edited by Bongo 1874

3 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

That stand holds 21,500 🙂

crane-grua.gif

The Celtic Park North Stand holds 26k+.

(It's all foolishness anyway . . .)

Just now, Led Tasso said:

The Celtic Park North Stand holds 26k+.

(It's all foolishness anyway . . .)

It can be achieved though, which is pleasing 🙂

7 hours ago, Phil D. Corners said:

That's a decent shout, it might encourage more folk to actually use the catering facilities in the concourse, pushing up profits.

Thinking outside the box ...

With the advancement of technology, by the time we need a new stadium we could build a replica Tynecastle on a greenfield site and project the game live using holograms ... for away fans and out of towners; the original Tynecastle being reserved for and filled with Jambos.

We've already played a hologram so nae chance of Hibs ever claiming it as a(nother) 1st.

15 hours ago, merseyjambo said:

I know it might be a bit basic, but I think we could do with improving the food kiosk areas and have a bit of a revamp of what’s offered.

The difference in the quality of food at some grounds is quite remarkable. Man City and Man United are prime examples. The food at City is off the scale whereas at United it’s still pretty much what was served up at pie stands about 20 years ago. 

I’m not talking hummus and falafels but maybe looking at offering things like fish and chips, that sort of thing. Something maybe a bit more substantial than a pie. 

Are the concourse TVs working yet??? Maybe put Hearts TV on prior to game, show the game in home concourse only (quite common in England) via City TV, MUTV etc. 

Some of these things may have already happened as I’ve not had a chance to get up this season due to work commitments.

I know they were talking about putting big screens up in ground.

Some little cosmetic changes would go a long way. 

We don't even have decent pies.... anyone know who supplies them.....?

15 hours ago, davemclaren said:

So they should have a plan now for the next major construction project in 30 years time? We are still paying off debts accrued over the last few seasons and haven’t even completed the current main stand. 

We won’t be requiring much, if any, more than our current capacity for a while, if ever. 

Exactly Dave - some letting their imaginations run away with them.

5 hours ago, Section Q said:

Get Bain’s pies…..

Edited by Thomaso

5 hours ago, Section Q said:

I don’t have a pie very often but, when I do, I think they are decent. Overpriced, but that’s football catering. I miss the curry shed though. 

Took these pictures of the escalators on my Stadium tour (you can see the under side of the one up to the second floor). I can't remember exactly where they start from at ground level but it's definitely not from the main reception area ( the lift is there). The escalators are over towards the north side of the main stand. 

I suppose the advantage of this will be a direct link up to the second floor without going through main reception. Handy if we are developing hotel type facilities up there. 

Will be interesting to see the plans. Hospitality space with bedroom facilities could be pretty effective for weddings etc. A potential nice little earner.

20200110_151943_HDR.jpg

14 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

I don’t have a pie very often but, when I do, I think they are decent. Overpriced, but that’s football catering. I miss the curry shed though. 

Stopped buying food at the football years ago over priced crap. Maybe the odd coffee or bovril I'll take.

2 minutes ago, stuart500 said:

Took these pictures of the escalators on my Stadium tour (you can see the under side of the one up to the second floor). I can't remember exactly where they start from at ground level but it's definitely not from the main reception area ( the lift is there). The escalators are over towards the north side of the main stand. 

I suppose the advantage of this will be a direct link up to the second floor without going through main reception. Handy if we are developing hotel type facilities up there. 

Will be interesting to see the plans. Hospitality space with bedroom facilities could be pretty effective for weddings etc. A potential nice little earner.

20200110_151943_HDR.jpg

Is that another elevator above too ? How many do we have in total never seen them before looks class. 

14 minutes ago, Stu_HMFC said:

Is that another elevator above too ? How many do we have in total never seen them before looks class. 

Yes there's one from ground to first and one from first to second. 

Would be great if the club did some work in the concourse - tv’s so not missing the game, bar if the rules were changed and would great if they set up food stall areas which they could rent out to a revolving series of street food vendors. Club still gets money from the rent and we get a selection of tasty wraps and gourmet burgers as another option over and above the standard club pies.

1 hour ago, Thomaso said:

Get Bain’s pies…..

Well, that's precisely what I did during 'lockdown' when we had to watch streams. That plus a few bottles of 'Old Jock'. It helped make the stay-at-home matchday experience more bearable. I dunno if Bain's could up their output sufficiently, but maybe Hearts could figure out an on-site facility for them. For sure, we'd then have the bestest pies! Unlike the supposedly legendary 'Killie Pies' which, at the last two away fixtures, were gash ... all rock-hard pastry and indigestible bits of meat not fit for a dug. 🤮

6 minutes ago, Wee Mikey said:

Well, that's precisely what I did during 'lockdown' when we had to watch streams. That plus a few bottles of 'Old Jock'. It helped make the stay-at-home matchday experience more bearable. I dunno if Bain's could up their output sufficiently, but maybe Hearts could figure out an on-site facility for them. For sure, we'd then have the bestest pies! Unlike the supposedly legendary 'Killie Pies' which, at the last two away fixtures, were gash ... all rock-hard pastry and indigestible bits of meat not fit for a dug. 🤮

Bain’s pies are delicious but big potential of a few facial burns I reckon. 😄

On 11/01/2022 at 09:03, davemclaren said:

I imagine they discussed it when the built the new main stand and came to the conclusion that it will likely see us through the next few decades. 

17 hours ago, Hearts_fan said:

17 hours ago, davemclaren said:

I didn't say the next major construction project should be in 30 years time. It was you that suggested the Board probably had a let's-wait-30-years-before-any-more-expansions plan.

In any case that mythical 30 years is now 25 years away.

It's your option that we won't require a greater capacity, yet many on here say we would need the extra capacity if we are ever to compete enough financially to win the league.

You are right though, we aren't obliged to expand the stadium. We are entitled to remain serial runners up forever.

I don't work in finance, but even I understand that you can borrow money to invest and that you can create new ways of raising money for investment. 

I'm glad we've got people running the Club who can think about different kinds of investments and strategies at the same time. 

4 minutes ago, Hearts_fan said:

I didn't say the next major construction project should be in 30 years time. It was you that suggested the Board probably had a let's-wait-30-years-before-any-more-expansions plan.

In any case that mythical 30 years is now 25 years away.

It's your option that we won't require a greater capacity, yet many on here say we would need the extra capacity if we are ever to compete enough financially to win the league.

You are right though, we aren't obliged to expand the stadium. We are entitled to remain serial runners up forever.

I don't work in finance, but even I understand that you can borrow money to invest and that you can create new ways of raising money for investment. 

I'm glad we've got people running the Club who can think about different kinds of investments and strategies at the same time. 

Indeed, let’s see what they do about the stadium then. 

21 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

I have those burns!! 😳

17 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

What about the almost volcanic temperature of Bovril? We cannae even bring a plastic bottle of water and yet serve up something which, if chucked onto the pitch could easily scar for life. Mind you, if it drenched Broonaldo then it might enhance his movie-star good looks. 🤭

Screenshot_20220112-120027_Gallery.jpg

highlandjambo3
4 hours ago, stuart500 said:

20200110_151943_HDR.jpg

I like that…..my first go will be taking as long as I can 😁

637EF19A-7CA8-4AEC-9139-A4591666434D.gif

highlandjambo3
4 hours ago, Arfur said:

Would be great if the club did some work in the concourse - tv’s so not missing the game, bar if the rules were changed and would great if they set up food stall areas which they could rent out to a revolving series of street food vendors. Club still gets money from the rent and we get a selection of tasty wraps and gourmet burgers as another option over and above the standard club pies.

Alas that would not work.

The only money to be made in outside catering is when one company hoovers up the whole operation.  I used to work for myself at catering events selling baked potatoes freshly cooked from an industrial/portable oven with homemade fillings, I also did stovies/pulled pork and apple rolls and, wild boar jumbo hotdogs……I can assure you all my food was the best (or almost the best) at the events I attended, which were mainly Highland games, horse shows during the summer etc……..

No matter the quality of my food, I had nowhere near the footfall a of basic burger van with their chips/curry sauce.  Also, a very important point is the selling “window of opportunity” at a football match, a little before the game, picking up as punters arrive just before the game, a small trickle throughout the match, a mad half time rush that would be overwhelming for a small caterer* nothing really at the end.  

Working flat out alone let’s say serving 1 punter every 30 seconds, that’s 60 punters over half time.  Let’s say we doubled that over the whole match to 120 punters each portion of food at say £6 (quite pricy I hear you say) so, over the day £720.  Hearts taking probably £200 for the stall.  Take off stock, preparation and clean down which is 1 day cooking before hand, the day setting up and working then, 1 day after cleaning down so 3 days work………did this for 7 year then quit…..received many many positive statements about the quality of my food.

On my journey I’ve seen loads of high end street food vendors with “something different” loads of their food was absolutely brilliant but, most fold due to the high volume, cheap food that the burger vans put out.  Ok many of them have fancy stand out graphics on their vans and works like “gourmet/prime/Aberdeen Angus/steak” appear in many parts of their menu, along with chips/cheese/curry sauce/gravy etc………

I’m not bitter honest 😂😂

* hire more staff to deal with a 15 minute rush?  Nah not worth the cost.

1 minute ago, highlandjambo3 said:

Alas that would not work.

The only money to be made in outside catering is when one company hoovers up the whole operation.  I used to work for myself at catering events selling baked potatoes freshly cooked from an industrial/portable oven with homemade fillings, I also did stovies/pulled pork and apple rolls and, wild boar jumbo hotdogs……I can assure you all my food was the best (or almost the best) at the events I attended, which were mainly Highland games, horse shows during the summer etc……..

No matter the quality of my food, I had nowhere near the footfall a of basic burger van with their chips/curry sauce.  Also, a very important point is the selling “window of opportunity” at a football match, a little before the game, picking up as punters arrive just before the game, a small trickle throughout the match, a mad half time rush that would be overwhelming for a small caterer* nothing really at the end.  

Working flat out alone let’s say serving 1 punter every 30 seconds, that’s 60 punters over half time.  Let’s say we doubled that over the whole match to 120 punters each portion of food at say £6 (quite pricy I hear you say) so, over the day £720.  Hearts taking probably £200 for the stall.  Take off stock, preparation and clean down which is 1 day cooking before hand, the day setting up and working then, 1 day after cleaning down so 3 days work………did this for 7 year then quit…..received many many positive statements about the quality of my food.

On my journey I’ve seen loads of high end street food vendors with “something different” loads of their food was absolutely brilliant but, most fold due to the high volume, cheap food that the burger vans put out.  Ok many of them have fancy stand out graphics on their vans and works like “gourmet/prime/Aberdeen Angus/steak” appear in many parts of their menu, along with chips/cheese/curry sauce/gravy etc………

I’m not bitter honest 😂😂

* hire more staff to deal with a 15 minute rush?  Nah not worth the cost.

Good post highlighting the challenges. Pile it high and sell it High fast works best at football. I should have added charge high as well. 

Bazzas right boot
19 hours ago, Wee Mikey said:

With the advancement of technology, by the time we need a new stadium we could build a replica Tynecastle on a greenfield site and project the game live using holograms ... for away fans and out of towners; the original Tynecastle being reserved for and filled with Jambos.

We've already played a hologram so nae chance of Hibs ever claiming it as a(nother) 1st.

You jest, but it's true. 

Vr is the way. 

You'll be able to buy a  virtual ticket and with Vr you'll be transported to the event. 

This could done with the hire of a hall or theatre so you Can have a drink, eat, chat and then put on your Vr goggles to be at the event. 

What you propose will happen 100%.

Edited by Smith's right boot

I've just read this whole thread

14 pages of speculation, day dreaming and naysaying, yet not one of you has suggested a sliding roof

What is wrong with you people?

Edited by topcat

19 hours ago, Wee Mikey said:

Pretty sure Japan said they'd project some world cup games, using holograms, at some of the competing teams home stadiums if they win the bid for the last one. 

4 minutes ago, topcat said:

I've just read this whole thread

14 pages of speculation, day dreaming and naysaying and not one of you has suggested a sliding roof

What is wrong with you people?

Good thinking. 👍

We could extend the floodlight pylons as supports for a sliding roof, utilise cantilevers and suchlike to support the existing stand roofs, stick 2 big screens at the Gorgie corners plus one at the Wheatfield/School corner and fill in the Main stand/School End corner with seats to be sold to away fans as 'restricted view'.

We get 20,000 home fans in a unique stadium, and all paid for via FOH contributions. 😆

3 minutes ago, Norm said:

Pretty sure Japan said they'd project some world cup games, using holograms, at some of the competing teams home stadiums if they win the bid for the last one. 

Really? These days nothing would surprise me. How much has been spent on a 'traditional' World Cup in Qatar? 😕 

As long as they set up a live audio beam-back to the host stadium so that the fans' cheering & booing could be heard then that would be, if not a perfect solution, one way of cutting down on unnecessary international travel etc.

• davemclaren changed the title to TYNECASTLE STADIUM UPGRADE POTENTIAL - UEFA category 4 granted ( updated/merged )