John souttar

William H. Bonney

1 minute ago, Bob Loblaw said:

If he goes it's unfortunate but he's not shafting anyone and the club aren't at fault either.

He doesn't "owe" us anything for standing by him, he was contracted and we fulfilled our end when he got injured. A gamble we take when we sign any player to a deal.

Similarly the club weren't going to offer an extension when he hadn't proven his fitness. Now he has proven his fitness and is  playing well he has offers where he'll likely make 5 times his wage a week. He's 25, with a history of injuries, he'd pretty much be nuts to not try and set himself up financially. What if he signs a new deal out of loyalty and gets injured again?  No transfer fee for us, no move for him and we are stuck with a guy who's injured but undoubtedly one of our highest earners.  

Someone else gets it.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bazzas right boot

• kingantti1874

• Bongo 1874

• Pasquale for King

16 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

I am sure there are some relatively nice places around these Cities however I think you are missing my point.

He has lived in or around Edinburgh whilst at Hearts and being one of the nicest places to live in the Country. He may well find a bit of culture shock if he decides to move.

You also have to remember that often the cause of players maybe not being happy at a club after a move is down to their partners not settling into a new environment away from family etc.

Just pointing it out. I'm not looking for an argument about it just making a point. If you disagree then fine.

no worries mate, not looking for an argument either :)

totally right that players sometimes don't settle due to external factors. no idea what kind of shopping is on offer for players wives around 'boro. Stoke's about an hour from Manchester....

Edinburgh is a great city so if / when soutter moves on he'll miss it I'm sure. but if these guys want to progress in their career they'll have to find a way to settle.

37 minutes ago, Jim Panzee said:

sure have. Times must've changed with these restrictions coming in. Thats really going to restrict some clubs. Still - a quick squizz on google maps using 'boro as an example - I think a few players choose Yarm to live at as it's quite posh (or used to be anyway) - thats only 10-12 mile away.

Yarn is full of Boro players and very nice.  

3 minutes ago, Bob Loblaw said:

If he goes it's unfortunate but he's not shafting anyone and the club aren't at fault either.

He doesn't "owe" us anything for standing by him, he was contracted and we fulfilled our end when he got injured. A gamble we take when we sign any player to a deal.

Similarly the club weren't going to offer an extension when he hadn't proven his fitness. Now he has proven his fitness and is  playing well he has offers where he'll likely make 5 times his wage a week. He's 25, with a history of injuries, he'd pretty much be nuts to not try and set himself up financially. What if he signs a new deal out of loyalty and gets injured again?  No transfer fee for us, no move for him and we are stuck with a guy who's injured but undoubtedly one of our highest earners.  

Flip side is that some clubs may be hesitant to pay top wages for someone with 30 appearances in 3 years and a history of serious injuries.

Are we all getting angry and ready to call him a Judas because he hasn't signed an extension yet? :lol:

Nobody here knows what's going on in the background.  It could be that the club and player have agreed to see where we're sitting at Christmas before deciding what to do, the player could want to sign an extension and the club just haven't arranged the details yet, maybe more money needs to be discussed, or it could be that he wants to move somewhere else.  That's fine, why get so angry and upset about something that is totally out of your control and you know absolutely nothing about?  :lol:

This place is ****ing amazing at making it's mind up about something which does not reflect reality, and then the opinion will never change regardless of the evidence or new information. 

If Souttar was to sign a 5 year mega extension, there would be people on here who have already decided they hate him and he'll be come the new boo-boy any time he makes a mistake.

Pasquale for King
15 minutes ago, Bob Loblaw said:

Agree with all that but I’m still not sure he’s proved his fitness yet, not to a level where someone would buy him in January anyway. If he plays the rest of the season (he’s missed games already) and finally manages to play more than 20 games on the trot he will get a move next summer for free. 
If he doesn’t he might well have to stay with us if there’s no other offers, nobody is going to pay millions for someone with his injury history. 

15 minutes ago, tian447 said:

Are we all getting angry and ready to call him a Judas because he hasn't signed an extension yet? :lol:

Nobody here knows what's going on in the background.  It could be that the club and player have agreed to see where we're sitting at Christmas before deciding what to do, the player could want to sign an extension and the club just haven't arranged the details yet, maybe more money needs to be discussed, or it could be that he wants to move somewhere else.  That's fine, why get so angry and upset about something that is totally out of your control and you know absolutely nothing about?  :lol:

This place is ****ing amazing at making it's mind up about something which does not reflect reality, and then the opinion will never change regardless of the evidence or new information. 

If Souttar was to sign a 5 year mega extension, there would be people on here who have already decided they hate him and he'll be come the new boo-boy any time he makes a mistake.

At the last shareholders dinner where Gary Locke was the guest. He was asked about the chances of Souttar staying with the club and he said that unless we could pay him something in the region of £10 - 15K per week then he would be away.

Obviously that is just his opinion and he did not get pushed for any more detail but he seemed to be resigned to the fact he would be away.

The problem the club have is that if they were to somehow manage to be able to offer him that type of money then you set a precedent for others and they want something similar and they will not be able to afford that even with the help now and again from certain benefactors.

2 hours ago, Smith's right boot said:

Smith covering at CB is like for like imo short term. 

Good ball playing centre half. 

Like for like is a stretch, Souttar is miles ahead of Smith. 

Several factors that could be included in a contract. He could be promised 10% of any transfer fee if his new contract was a 1 year extension. Small bump to his wages. Helps the club and potentially helps him. The only flipside being nobody coming in for him - which is highly unlikely.

You imagine 2 million in January max. He gets his bump there and then.

You contemplate potentially 5 million if he had another year on his deal. 10% to the player. Still leaves you an extra 2.5.

Fantasy stuff sadly.

Bazzas right boot
1 minute ago, karipidis said:

Like for like is a stretch, Souttar is miles ahead of Smith. 

Unsure in terms of the next 6 months. 

Smith is very accomplished at CB and is one who carries the ball out and plays his way out of defence. 

Souttar is younger and better in the air, but I don't think Smith playing ch instead if Souttar weakens us to the point where we are in jeorpady of the season falling apart. 

Particularly if we get money and can re invest sone of it either in a fee or towards pre contracts. 

In short if we lose Souttar it may be difficult to improve even on Smith at ch in January, so imo he'd be great cover. 

I think if he goes in Jan then we'll look to replace him rather than go with what we have.

Bare in mind, Moore could also be away in Jan.

I like big Souttar but he will move on eventually. He's now been brought back into the Scotland squad so even more exposure available to him. If he goes then that's ok, as long as you have a replacement ready to slot in. We don't want the same situation we had/have with Berra leaving and not replacing him. For me, Taylor Moore seems that ready replacement for Souttar as he's played his best stuff when he played that position. Don't know what Moore's contract situation is at Bristol City (i think it is) but if he's on his last year it could be a good move to get him tied up in January.

52 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Looking at the flip side, have you seen some of the areas in Edinburgh? There’s also threads on here slating the state of Edinburgh, it being dirty etc.

Everywhere has its nice and bad bits no doubt some have nicer and worse bits. I’m sure JS will happily live in a nicer area of Middlesbrough for 3/4 times the salary.

Not forgetting he spent time in Dundee, places would really have to try and be shit to be worse than living in Dundee

2 minutes ago, jambonian said:

I like big Souttar but he will move on eventually. He's now been brought back into the Scotland squad so even more exposure available to him. If he goes then that's ok, as long as you have a replacement ready to slot in. We don't want the same situation we had/have with Berra leaving and not replacing him. For me, Taylor Moore seems that ready replacement for Souttar as he's played his best stuff when he played that position. Don't know what Moore's contract situation is at Bristol City (i think it is) but if he's on his last year it could be a good move to get him tied up in January.

Moore has a year and a half left on his contract with Bristol but not wanted by their current manager. He has said there is a permanent deal to be done if we want him but I think they want a fee as they paid decent money for him.

57 minutes ago, Bob Loblaw said:

Not to mention that he's just had a stark reminder of how short a career it is with his brother suffering what appears to be a serious knee injury, may well have made his mind up to get the ink dry on a bumper deal asap

11 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

I think if he goes in Jan then we'll look to replace him rather than go with what we have.

Bare in mind, Moore could also be away in Jan.

How can Moore be away in January?

Edit. I’ve just seen that BC have a recall clause in January right enough. Unlikely they will recall him but it appears they could 

Edited by JimmyCant

4 minutes ago, CAR said:

Moore has a year and a half left on his contract with Bristol but not wanted by their current manager. He has said there is a permanent deal to be done if we want him but I think they want a fee as they paid decent money for him.

The fee was believed to be in the region of 1.5 mill although it was undisclosed, if Moore is open to joining us and his wage demands are within our budget then i would not have an issue with us breaking our transfer record to bring the lad to Hearts.

I really like him as a player and think we would more than recoup any fee we pay for him if he was to join us.

4 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

How can Moore be away in January?

Edit. I’ve just seen that BC have a recall clause in January right enough. Unlikely they will recall him but it appears they could 

Ideally Pearson isn’t sacked before January is out.

1 minute ago, Boyces beard said:

The fee was believed to be in the region of 1.5 mill although it was undisclosed, if Moore is open to joining us and his wage demands are within our budget then i would not have an issue with us breaking our transfer record to bring the lad to Hearts.

I really like him as a player and think we would more than recoup any fee we pay for him if he was to join us.

I think we would pay a fee but its not going to be anywhere near what they paid for him. At the end of the day the manager doesn't want him and they will want him off the wage bill. I would try and get something sorted sooner if possible as I don't think they are having a great season and if they changed the manager it could mean that the new guy might want him back.

3 hours ago, Famous 1874 said:

Money talks, but Boro, Stoke or Blackburn. Come on John, you can do a lot better than that shite

So where do you think he should go???? Is he going to replace van Dijk at Anfield or Varane at Old Trafford.

Lets be honest here very few Scots players go down to top flight EPL clubs. Edouard had a pretty decent scoring record at Parkhead yet he could only go as far as Palace, McGinn went to Aston Villa. Andy Robertson got to Liverpool via Hull, after he had proven himself there. 

JS is a very good player, but the best move he’s going to get would be a team in EPL in a relegation fight like Norwich or an Championship Club who are looking to push themselves towards the playoffs or promotion. 

For me, JS biggest issue is his fluctuations in weight. So pictures you see of him, he looks lean and mean and in others he looks like he could shed a few pounds. 

No matter how good we think he is, he’s someone who will end up at a yo-yo club like Norwich or established championship side who can pay much better than we can

A_A wehatethehibs
23 minutes ago, Ribble said:

Not to mention that he's just had a stark reminder of how short a career it is with his brother suffering what appears to be a serious knee injury, may well have made his mind up to get the ink dry on a bumper deal asap

This is it in a nutshell. The main reason why I think he would be keen on a Jan move rather than wait till summer. You take your chance when it comes.

Just think a Jan sale looks the most likely for all parties. Soapy will want that contract ASAP, strike while iron is hot so to speak. Get his deal while he’s fit and in form. Can’t blame him tbh. 

1 hour ago, Bob Loblaw said:

Well said. 

For all his plaudits this season, he has looked a bit shaky defensively in recent weeks. Undoubtedly is brilliant with ball at his feet and taking balls out of defence, but wouldn't be the miss that some people make out.  I'm firmly in the camp of there should be some sort of loyalty from him in looking to maximise the value we get from any deal with signing a contract but doubt it will happen, sounds like he's managed by McNamara now who will be trying to get as much money as possible for him and John.

Irony is he could get crocked tonight and would be begging us for the paper to sign.

1 hour ago, wavydavy said:

At the last shareholders dinner where Gary Locke was the guest. He was asked about the chances of Souttar staying with the club and he said that unless we could pay him something in the region of £10 - 15K per week then he would be away.

Obviously that is just his opinion and he did not get pushed for any more detail but he seemed to be resigned to the fact he would be away.

The problem the club have is that if they were to somehow manage to be able to offer him that type of money then you set a precedent for others and they want something similar and they will not be able to afford that even with the help now and again from certain benefactors.

That's what I took from Gary Locke as well, this is from the minutes I took from the meeting:

14.       Will John Souttar be at Hearts next season?

Hopefully, he’s had 3 horrific injuries, but he loves Hearts and if we could pay him £10k - £15k a week he’d sign for life.  But if he gets a crazy offer from a team down south we can’t compete with that.  We’re hoping he’ll sign but it’s a short career and if he was to get another serious injury he may not come back.  He’ll be back in the Scotland squad soon I reckon and he could go down south and play easily just like other Scots have.

4 hours ago, Pans Jambo said:

Think we need to stop this "he's going to shaft us" opinion. We offered him a contract. He's honouring it. Those are the facts. Gets offered 4 or 5K/Week with us or 15K - 20K /week in the English Championship. What would you do?

It seems a bit bizarre, or incredibly unlucky that we seem to lose our valuable players for nothing. While other clubs manage to sell their best assets for a few million.

No I don't blame him really, but some kind of loyalty to the club would be nice, other than just pure greed.

2 hours ago, Bob Loblaw said:

Great post. 

It's too much of a risk offering him big money to renew in the hope we sell him for a few million. 

jamboinglasgow
2 hours ago, Bob Loblaw said:

Agree with you there, but it still is a sore one that he looks likely to leave on a free in the summer. Thats nothing against him and agree he owes us nothing, just feels typical that one of our best players will go to a Championship who will then make good money from him. 

Souttar has had a tough time with injuries, he could easily have had quite a few scotland caps by now and be playing at a much higher level. So not going attack him where he is making the best choice for his career.

5 hours ago, Pans Jambo said:

Cut me and I bleed maroon but if I was John Souttar, I would be offski if I had the opportunity to treble my salary given the horrific injuries he has suffered. I would be thinking that the next injury could finish my career. Best to make some decent wedge before the boots get hung up.

Love Soapy, but we cant stand in his way if he has a move that will take him south and on money we could never offer. It's just the way it is.

A move to Glasgow on the other hand....

That'll be you and the rest of mankind then? Blood doesn't show and all that...

9 minutes ago, jamboinglasgow said:

Agree with you there, but it still is a sore one that he looks likely to leave on a free in the summer. Thats nothing against him and agree he owes us nothing, just feels typical that one of our best players will go to a Championship who will then make good money from him. 

Souttar has had a tough time with injuries, he could easily have had quite a few scotland caps by now and be playing at a much higher level. So not going attack him where he is making the best choice for his career.

Absolutely, he's arguably our most sellable asset since Gordon. So to lose him for nothing is dull, I just don't think there's much point apportioning blame on either him or the club for how it pans out.

jamboinglasgow
16 minutes ago, Bob Loblaw said:

Absolutely, he's arguably our most sellable asset since Gordon. So to lose him for nothing is dull, I just don't think there's much point apportioning blame on either him or the club for how it pans out.

Yeah, I think we have been unlucky with when his injuries fell which mean we are between a rock and a hard place, and he owes us nothing as everytime he plays he gives his all. 

If he's planning to run his contract down, we should see what we can get for him in January. See if we can use that money to make Taylor Moore permanent. I know Bristol are wanting 7 figures, but we might be able to put forward a good deal that works for both parties if the lad is keen to stay. 

I'm sure the club are doing all they can to try to retain him, minimum fee release clause, cut of the transfer fee etc.

It's an absolute no brainer from the player's perspective to wait and see what offers he might get. What is possibly going against us, is that his younger brother has established himself as a regular first team starter at Championship level. That gives John a relatable benchmark as to the standard and level of pay he could achieve.

What I would say is that there is more to life than money and there's a lot to be said for working in a happy and productive working environment.

SectionDJambo

It looks like John will be away. It’s unfortunate that we didn’t get the chance of a decent transfer fee during the time of his contract, due to his injury problems.

I can understand him looking for as good a contract as he can get at his age and given that he just doesn’t know what his future holds, injury wise. He can’t feel overly confident of his career going on into his 30s given that he’s already suffered two career threatening injuries. The fact that Hearts have paid him good wages during his long spell out is immaterial. He has to think of what is best for himself, as anyone in any walk of life would be entitled to do.

Equally, Hearts can’t offer him a crazy contract that would open the door for other players to demand wages that would see us lose control of our finances again. We all know how that can end up. It wouldn’t be unreasonable for Hearts to have some doubts about John being relatively injury free in future.

A whole lot of circumstances have got in the way of both Hearts and John having gained benefit from his moving to another club. We should wish him all the best for his future career, and hope he enjoys an injury free time with his new club, if he does decide to move on.

The hope for us, as Hearts fans, is that Joe Savage is anticipating the worst and working on how to replace John with a talented player, with a good sell on potential.

2 hours ago, TurboT said:

That's what I took from Gary Locke as well, this is from the minutes I took from the meeting:

14.       Will John Souttar be at Hearts next season?

Hopefully, he’s had 3 horrific injuries, but he loves Hearts and if we could pay him £10k - £15k a week he’d sign for life.  But if he gets a crazy offer from a team down south we can’t compete with that.  We’re hoping he’ll sign but it’s a short career and if he was to get another serious injury he may not come back.  He’ll be back in the Scotland squad soon I reckon and he could go down south and play easily just like other Scots have.

Was offering a large contract not what we did with Gordon and got £9m for him a year or so later? 

Would make sense to do this for Souttar. Means we get him for the rest of the season and potentially £4m or so for him in the summer or beyond. Even £15k is £750k a year so we would easy get our cash back and more. Getting into the Scotland team and Hearts having a good season would only do his profile good. 

13 minutes ago, Paulp74 said:

Was offering a large contract not what we did with Gordon and got £9m for him a year or so later? 

Would make sense to do this for Souttar. Means we get him for the rest of the season and potentially £4m or so for him in the summer or beyond. Even £15k is £750k a year so we would easy get our cash back and more. Getting into the Scotland team and Hearts having a good season would only do his profile good. 

Imo, if we can afford it, that's exactly what we should do.  

Guest ToqueJambo
3 hours ago, innerjambo said:

It seems a bit bizarre, or incredibly unlucky that we seem to lose our valuable players for nothing. While other clubs manage to sell their best assets for a few million.

No I don't blame him really, but some kind of loyalty to the club would be nice, other than just pure greed.

Which other clubs our size sell players regularly for a few million (bearing in mind that we also did that around a year ago with Hickey)?

Hibs: McGinn was a one-off and they got much less than they could have

Aberdeen: Can't think of anyone recently - McKenna?

Hamilton, Motherwell, St Johnstone and co have brought in good fees, but they are in a different position to us. They tend not to try too hard to hang on to their good young players and make sure to sell them well before the end of their contracts, so their best players tend not to play for them for very long, unlike ours. Even if we didn't get a lot of money for someone like Calumn P, we did get enormous value from him on the pitch. If he'd played for one of these teams, they'd have sold him at 19/20 for a million, which we could easily have done. Personally I think 4 or so years of Calum P is better than £1-2m and one year of him.

Edited by ToqueJambo

Guest ToqueJambo
5 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Looking at the flip side, have you seen some of the areas in Edinburgh? There’s also threads on here slating the state of Edinburgh, it being dirty etc.

Everywhere has its nice and bad bits no doubt some have nicer and worse bits. I’m sure JS will happily live in a nicer area of Middlesbrough for 3/4 times the salary.

Teaming up with Uche again at Boro. Is that really the level Souttar aspires to?

I hope we make him a good offer and he sees 4-5 grand a week plus a genuine chance of silverware as a better option than 10-15 grand a week and no chance. It's a short career money wise, but also in terms of achieving something. Plenty of players have stayed at Hearts, had great careers and haven't exactly been destitute after they finish playing.

Still think one of the OF will be in for him though. Hate to say it but that would offer the best balance of money and honours.

Edited by ToqueJambo

Bazzas right boot
8 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Which other clubs our size sell players regularly for a few million (bearing in mind that we also did that around a year ago with Hickey)?

Hibs: McGinn was a one-off and they got much less than they could have

Aberdeen: Can't think of anyone recently - McKenna?

Hamilton, Motherwell, St Johnstone and co have brought in good fees, but they are in a different position to us. They tend not to try too hard to hang on to their good young players and make sure to sell them well before the end of their contracts, so their best players tend not to play for them for very long, unlike ours. Even if we didn't get a lot of money for someone like Calumn P, we did get enormous value from him on the pitch. If he'd played for one of these teams, they'd have sold him at 19/20 for a million, which we could easily have done. Personally I think 4 or so years of Calum P is better than £1-2m and one year of him.

Aberdeen sold Mckenna and their big daft striker. 

But you  are 100% correct, we are no better or worse than other clubs in general. 

We've had money for 

Sow £1.2m

Hickey £1.5m (£500k to celtic of that) 

Walker £250k? 

Lafferty  £650k

mulreny  £200k?

Rossi? 

All of that was profit as well as no fee was paid. 

In the same time hibs have sold McGinn, can't think of another( there wil be some) and Aberdeen have sold a couple of  their "assets". 

Compared to other clubs we are OK. 

No club can force a player to sign an extension. 

As per some wil dram it up as Hearts fault and we are shite at making players sign contracts. 

It's nonsense, but Ofc something we can improve on. 

7 hours ago, Pans Jambo said:

Think we need to stop this "he's going to shaft us" opinion. We offered him a contract. He's honouring it. Those are the facts. Gets offered 4 or 5K/Week with us or 15K - 20K /week in the English Championship. What would you do?

I'd honestly do what he's doing but that said I still think we have a right to be disappointed, he's had a hell of a lot of support on and off the park from the club. 'shaft us' may feel pejorative but I completely get that emotion. As for him not playing; if he's turning in stellar performances looking for a trade then it's win-win, the quid pro quo though would be though that if his form drops markedly he is afforded very little slack. To be fair to him he doesn't come across in that way at all, which I suspect is why many were beguiled by the 'he's a PHM and will be signing shortly' chat.

The caveat obviously being if he is headed for one of the uglies all bets are off - I daren't write what I honestly feel happens to him under those circumstances as I don't want banned.

6 minutes ago, Japan Jambo said:

I'd honestly do what he's doing but that said I still think we have a right to be disappointed, he's had a hell of a lot of support on and off the park from the club. 'shaft us' may feel pejorative but I completely get that emotion. As for him not playing; if he's turning in stellar performances looking for a trade then it's win-win, the quid pro quo though would be though that if his form drops markedly he is afforded very little slack. To be fair to him he doesn't come across in that way at all, which I suspect is why many were beguiled by the 'he's a PHM and will be signing shortly' chat.

The caveat obviously being if he is headed for one of the uglies all bets are off - I daren't write what I honestly feel happens to him under those circumstances as I don't want banned.

I daren't write the same thing.

kingantti1874
37 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

Aberdeen sold Mckenna and their big daft striker. 

But you  are 100% correct, we are no better or worse than other clubs in general. 

We've had money for 

Sow £1.2m

Hickey £1.5m (£500k to celtic of that) 

Walker £250k? 

Lafferty  £650k

mulreny  £200k?

Rossi? 

All of that was profit as well as no fee was paid. 

In the same time hibs have sold McGinn, can't think of another( there wil be some) and Aberdeen have sold a couple of  their "assets". 

Compared to other clubs we are OK. 

No club can force a player to sign an extension. 

As per some wil dram it up as Hearts fault and we are shite at making players sign contracts. 

It's nonsense, but Ofc something we can improve on. 

all of this is true, but some players I feel we need to push the boat out to secure

Bazzas right boot
31 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

all of this is true, but some players I feel we need to push the boat out to secure

As a fan I agree, but " push the boat out" means nothing tbh.

It's like "get into them" or "attack them", it's a saying but has little substance.

We could be offering Souttar £10k a week but if Blackburn are offering £25k a week we are ****ed, no amount of boat pushing matters.

We also have folk saying shorter deals are better so we don't get stuck with folk if the don't work out.

Some folk iirc on here were even saying that they wouldn't be bothered if Souttar left or he was a big risk when he was injured.

There is no one rule for our  club or any club that will work.

Players leave far bigger clubs, for example Messi, Ramsey and  Pogba situation atm.

If These clubs can't help it , what chance do Hearts have?

Player has all the power.

Edited by Smith's right boot

Seymour M Hersh

His agent will make sure he doesn't extend with us as that wouldn't maximise his fee (the agents). Obviously given we've stuck with through two potentially career ending injuries I feel he owes it to the club to maximise his sale by extending his contract. If he stays fit and continues to improve any financial loss from a bigger (free agent) signing fee will be erased with the massive earning potential down south. Sadly though his agent won't be thinking like that. 

Edited by Seymour M Hersh