John souttar

William H. Bonney

6 minutes ago, Pap said:

So the new poster with the low post count - Psychicjambo, was in part telling the truth?

It’s hardly mystic Meg stuff suggesting Souttar might leave in January. 

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bazzas right boot

• kingantti1874

• Bongo 1874

• Pasquale for King

If he goes in Jan I’d be tempted to put harring in to centre half, can’t carry the ball as well but can be dominating enough to see us through, if we cant find another entire half that is. 

1 minute ago, Des Lynam said:

What Stoke? where his brother plays? Let’s see where he ends up. 

It doesnt matter where he ends up.

The point is that what the poster heard was in part correct.

Absolute Scenes

Souttar leaving is heart wrenching, not going to lie - havent loved a centre back this much since Pressley and Zal. However, it shows how far we have come, and how well Neilson and Savage have recruited that we have potentially a replacement in Moore (i'm sure a deal could be done to get him perm). Even putting Smith in Centre back, allowing Moore as wingback. Its good we have options and will no doubt be looking at more centre backs for Jan.

In an ideal world he would have signed a 1 year extension, just so we could get a fee. Obviously its more complex than i thought than simply signing a dotted line, but hey ho

Absolute Scenes
9 minutes ago, gordiegords said:

If he goes in Jan I’d be tempted to put harring in to centre half, can’t carry the ball as well but can be dominating enough to see us through, if we cant find another entire half that is. 

I totally forgot about Haring! Just shows you how strong the squad is that one of ur best players a few years back hasnt had a sniff. Very good option, as is Smith at centre back if he doesnt have the legs for LB anymore

Fozzyonthefence
32 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

Agreed, better to get a nominal amount, £250-500k, plus a sell-on clause (which will probably be worthless)  for him in January than nothing in the summer. We should be able to find a loan defender to cover at the back for four or five months until next summer. 
Given his injury record and age good luck to him if he is offered a long term deal on two to three times what we could pay him. Hopefully it’s not either of the OF that sign him though. 

I disagree.  If it’s only £250k - £500k we should keep him til the end of the season.  Having Souttar in the team compared to not being in the team could be there difference between winning the cup and not winning the cup / getting knocked out early or finishing 3rd in the league and a few million for playing in the group stages of the Europe Conferrnce or whichever one of the two diddy cups it is (still a potential big earner for us).

It is frustrating as hell though that we never seem to be able to get our young players / sellable assets tied down on long deals when other clubs manage to do this.  This needs to be addressed, can’t blame Souttar at all if he doesn’t want to extend his contract with us, especially given his injury history.

17 minutes ago, Pap said:

It doesnt matter where he ends up.

The point is that what the poster heard was in part correct.

It’s fairly obvious Souttar is leaving. 

7 minutes ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

I disagree.  If it’s only £250k - £500k we should keep him til the end of the season.  Having Souttar in the team compared to not being in the team could be there difference between winning the cup and not winning the cup / getting knocked out early or finishing 3rd in the league and a few million for playing in the group stages of the Europe Conferrnce or whichever one of the two diddy cups it is (still a potential big earner for us).

It is frustrating as hell though that we never seem to be able to get our young players / sellable assets tied down on long deals when other clubs manage to do this.  This needs to be addressed, can’t blame Souttar at all if he doesn’t want to extend his contract with us, especially given his injury history.

When should the club have tied Souttar down to a longer contract? If we had and he hadn’t made a recovery folk would be on here moaning we are handing out long contracts to injury prone players. 

From a fan’s perspective I’d be gutted if he left and you could write things like “no loyalty” etc and I wouldn’t blame anyone for doing so.

From his perspective, after all his injuries and football being a relatively short career, I can see why he would want to go to England and earn 5 times the money. 

Cut me and I bleed maroon but if I was John Souttar, I would be offski if I had the opportunity to treble my salary given the horrific injuries he has suffered. I would be thinking that the next injury could finish my career. Best to make some decent wedge before the boots get hung up.

Love Soapy, but we cant stand in his way if he has a move that will take him south and on money we could never offer. It's just the way it is.

A move to Glasgow on the other hand....

12 minutes ago, Des Lynam said:

When should the club have tied Souttar down to a longer contract? If we had and he hadn’t made a recovery folk would be on here moaning we are handing out long contracts to injury prone players. 

It's unreal the lengths folk go to to have a pop at the club.

"Oh hi John, I know you've had 3 major injuries and you are currently recovering from one but would you mind signing this 4 year, £4,000 per week deal?"

Folk need to get real. The club have done plenty wrong in the past with younger players not signing deals but ffs this isn't one of them.

Edited by hmfc_liam06

Hopefully he signs on and stays. 

Will be utter shit if we lose him in January. 

I don't want money, would rather have him in the team.

19 minutes ago, Pans Jambo said:

Cut me and I bleed maroon but if I was John Souttar, I would be offski if I had the opportunity to treble my salary given the horrific injuries he has suffered. I would be thinking that the next injury could finish my career. Best to make some decent wedge before the boots get hung up.

Love Soapy, but we cant stand in his way if he has a move that will take him south and on money we could never offer. It's just the way it is.

A move to Glasgow on the other hand....

He's been a young prospect for so long it's easy to forget even he gets older. I'd be gutted if he left but he's 25, he needs to earn before he gets to the vinegar strokes, I wouldn't blame him

Looks like it’s championship clubs that are showing interest.  Tough decision for him.  I always think it’s a massive gamble for any players and can’t really think of any who have left Hearts and it’s really paid off.  

Financially he’d no doubt be better off, he’s only likely to get around £5k a week from Hearts, he’d probably treble that in the championship.  However, if you look at guys like Paterson, Berra and others that have gone down there, what have they won?  You’re basically giving up the chance of silverware and European football.  I’m not sure it helps players international career, his brother Harry for instance is never quoted for Scotland despite allegedly playing at a higher level.

Looks like his heart is set on a move though.  Money talks.

8 hours ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

They do seem to be able to get their players signed up on long term deals so that helps with transfer fees. Unfortunately something we seem incapable of doing except with our shite players like Martin and Damour!

Does it though, Rangers haven't sold a player for more than 5m since Jelavic to Everton!

1 minute ago, Getintaethem said:

Looks like it’s championship clubs that are showing interest.  Tough decision for him.  I always think it’s a massive gamble for any players and can’t really think of any who have left Hearts and it’s really paid off.  

Financially he’d no doubt be better off, he’s only likely to get around £5k a week from Hearts, he’d probably treble that in the championship.  However, if you look at guys like Paterson, Berra and others that have gone down there, what have they won?  You’re basically giving up the chance of silverware and European football.  I’m not sure it helps players international career, his brother Harry for instance is never quoted for Scotland despite allegedly playing at a higher level.

Looks like his heart is set on a move though.  Money talks.

You mean 8 times capped, Australian international Harry Souttar? :lol:

13 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

It's unreal the lengths folk go to to have a pop at the club.

"Oh hi John, I know you've had 3 major injuries and you are currently recovering from one but would you mind signing this 4 year, £4,000 per week deal?"

Folk need to get real. The club have done plenty wrong in the past with younger players not signing deals but ffs this isn't one of them.

Basically same problem with Patterson 

Nothing the club can do

2 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

who potentially has just picked up a serious injury playing for australia

Thought Police

One of the few things I agreed with Romanov on is that he shouldn’t play if he refuses to sign a new deal. It’s a rare occasion in football where the club would have shown more loyalty than the player, so we owe him nothing. He’s missed more games than he’s played.

I am absolutely fine with Moore in the back three for the rest of the season.

3 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

He wasn’t getting into the Scotland squad, so decided to jump ship and has wracked up caps against world giants like Nepal, Jordan and Chinese Taipei 

Just now, Getintaethem said:

He wasn’t getting into the Scotland squad, so decided to jump ship and has wracked up caps against world giants like Nepal, Jordan and Chinese Taipei 

:lol:

4 minutes ago, Thought Police said:

One of the few things I agreed with Romanov on is that he shouldn’t play if he refuses to sign a new deal. It’s a rare occasion in football where the club would have shown more loyalty than the player, so we owe him nothing. He’s missed more games than he’s played.

I am absolutely fine with Moore in the back three for the rest of the season.

I don't disagree but to balance it out I would say why not play him whilst we have him. Arguably, he's better than Moore and if he can bring us some level of success before he goes then why not?

How many other players do we have at the end of their contracts or on loan until the end of the season that we wont sign? Do we bench them all? Wouldn't have a squad left!

7 minutes ago, Riccarton3 said:

Meh. A million every 6 months in donations and 'fans' are agitating over a player leaving on the cheap. 

I'll qualify that by saying 'in JS's injury ravaged circumstances'

As the clock keeps ticking on his contract situation, it looks increasingly likely that he's going to shaft us.

It would be very disappointing, and a harsh lesson for the club.

1 minute ago, innerjambo said:

As the clock keeps ticking on his contract situation, it looks increasingly likely that he's going to shaft us.

It would be very disappointing, and a harsh lesson for the club.

Think we need to stop this "he's going to shaft us" opinion. We offered him a contract. He's honouring it. Those are the facts. Gets offered 4 or 5K/Week with us or 15K - 20K /week in the English Championship. What would you do?

In my opinion, he owes hearts. He should sign 1/2 year extension and have a release clause that suits both parties.

Christ we have looked after him through his horrendous injuries  ,its the least he could do !!!!

A move to England would be acceptable the Old Firm on the other hand. While Stoke are a fairly nondescript club his brother plays for them and they are in and around the promotion play off places. Clubs fighting for promotion to and relegation from the EPL are the likeliest to gamble on Souttar in January in my opinion (NB I'm not in the know).

4 minutes ago, Famous 1874 said:

Money talks, but Boro, Stoke or Blackburn. Come on John, you can do a lot better than that shite

The football clubs are hardly top end but would you really want to live in any of these places?

It will be difficult moving from a place like Edinburgh to one of these places.

As you say though money talks and he will only have to spend a few years there before he comes back to Scotland realising his mistake.

14 minutes ago, Pans Jambo said:

Think we need to stop this "he's going to shaft us" opinion. We offered him a contract. He's honouring it. Those are the facts. Gets offered 4 or 5K/Week with us or 15K - 20K /week in the English Championship. What would you do?

If we are confident that he would pull in a £5m transfer fee we need to offer him wages appropriate to a £5m player.

Given his injury record it would be a very brave move to offer a 3 year contract at £15k per week... thats £2.34m over the length of the contract!!

Bazzas right boot
2 hours ago, soonbe110 said:

Agreed, better to get a nominal amount, £250-500k, plus a sell-on clause (which will probably be worthless)  for him in January than nothing in the summer. We should be able to find a loan defender to cover at the back for four or five months until next summer. 
Given his injury record and age good luck to him if he is offered a long term deal on two to three times what we could pay him. Hopefully it’s not either of the OF that sign him though. 

Smith covering at CB is like for like imo short term. 

Good ball playing centre half. 

Tokyo Drifter
On 07/11/2021 at 18:33, Robbies Tackle said:

Bit meh about that news.    Get the contract signed man. 

Ain't gonna happen. Yet another great young player we're going to lose for peanuts having stood by him but failed to tie him down (see Callum Paterson etc.)

26 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

The football clubs are hardly top end but would you really want to live in any of these places?

It will be difficult moving from a place like Edinburgh to one of these places.

As you say though money talks and he will only have to spend a few years there before he comes back to Scotland realising his mistake.

remember - players don't have to live next door to the stadium they play in....

51 minutes ago, Jim Panzee said:

The patter some come out with players possibly moving away is incredible 😂

kingantti1874

Should have broken the bank for JS on a short term contract.  

£10k per week on a 2 year deal.. with a guaranteed exit clause  so we all know we’re we stand.  

Yes it’s a gamble, but we have to gamble if we want the transfer fee. 

59 minutes ago, Jim Panzee said:

Yes I know that but have you ever been to any of these places mentioned.  Some clubs insist that you are within a restricted area from the training facilities which limits the choice of areas.

1 minute ago, wavydavy said:

Yes I know that but have you ever been to any of these places mentioned.  Some clubs insist that you are within a restricted area from the training facilities which limits the choice of areas.

sure have. Times must've changed with these restrictions coming in. Thats really going to restrict some clubs. Still - a quick squizz on google maps using 'boro as an example - I think a few players choose Yarm to live at as it's quite posh (or used to be anyway) - thats only 10-12 mile away.

I'd be happy if the club let Soapy go for a small fee with a huge sell on percentage. He's top drawer on his day. If Hibs can do it with banjo pants then who knows...,,

8 minutes ago, Jim Panzee said:

sure have. Times must've changed with these restrictions coming in. Thats really going to restrict some clubs. Still - a quick squizz on google maps using 'boro as an example - I think a few players choose Yarm to live at as it's quite posh (or used to be anyway) - thats only 10-12 mile away.

I am sure there are some relatively nice places around these Cities however I think you are missing my point.

He has lived in or around Edinburgh whilst at Hearts and being one of the nicest places to live in the Country. He may well find a bit of culture shock if he decides to move.

You also have to remember that often the cause of players maybe not being happy at a club after a move is down to their partners not settling into a new environment away from family etc.

Just pointing it out. I'm not looking for an argument about it just making a point. If you disagree then fine.

If he goes it's unfortunate but he's not shafting anyone and the club aren't at fault either.

He doesn't "owe" us anything for standing by him, he was contracted and we fulfilled our end when he got injured. A gamble we take when we sign any player to a deal.

Similarly the club weren't going to offer an extension when he hadn't proven his fitness. Now he has proven his fitness and is  playing well he has offers where he'll likely make 5 times his wage a week. He's 25, with a history of injuries, he'd pretty much be nuts to not try and set himself up financially. What if he signs a new deal out of loyalty and gets injured again?  No transfer fee for us, no move for him and we are stuck with a guy who's injured but undoubtedly one of our highest earners.  

17 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

I am sure there are some relatively nice places around these Cities however I think you are missing my point.

He has lived in or around Edinburgh whilst at Hearts and being one of the nicest places to live in the Country. He may well find a bit of culture shock if he decides to move.

You also have to remember that often the cause of players maybe not being happy at a club after a move is down to their partners not settling into a new environment away from family etc.

Just pointing it out. I'm not looking for an argument about it just making a point. If you disagree then fine.

Looking at the flip side, have you seen some of the areas in Edinburgh? There’s also threads on here slating the state of Edinburgh, it being dirty etc.

Everywhere has its nice and bad bits no doubt some have nicer and worse bits. I’m sure JS will happily live in a nicer area of Middlesbrough for 3/4 times the salary.