John souttar

William H. Bonney

Bazzas right boot

One thing that helped Souttar make his mind up and  join Hearts was his relationship with CL. 

Iirc he mentioned this and CL knows his dad. 

With CL gone there is maybe  less  emotion involved in his next contract decision. 

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bazzas right boot

• kingantti1874

• Bongo 1874

• Pasquale for King

1 hour ago, Pasquale for King said:

Woodburn is a good player but not at that level, Beni might get there with a lower level team, Gino needs to progress a bit and score a bit more but was great on Saturday. 
Not sure if they’re gods either to be brutally honest 😜

Relative to my abilities as a footballer, they're gods. Maybe you reached the level of demi-god.

Pasquale for King
1 minute ago, upgotheheads said:

Relative to my abilities as a footballer, they're gods. Maybe you reached the level of demi-god.

Not quite but I have my talents, I have a god like ability to annoy folk for instance 😜

Just now, Pasquale for King said:

Not quite but I have my talents, I have a god like ability to annoy folk for instance 😜

I prostrate (prostrate I said) before your greatness. 

On 09/11/2021 at 12:12, Smith's right boot said:

They could, but theyd be weakening themselves. 

They would get £20mil for Hagi And have told Leeds they want £20 mil for Kent, I reckon if Gerrard leaves both will be away in January. 

They would take in some profit from them deals, and then pick up players on reduced fees or pre contracts, whoever is doing the recruitment at rangers seems to be doing a good job. 

Glad we managed to take one off them we don't have as much money as either celtic or rangers, but it helps when you have a good  recruitment team in savage etc. 

And I'm not Robbies biggest fan but he's getting it right on the pitch at the moment 👍 long may it continue. 

Would love for Robbie to go to Easter Road this year, and give them tramps a right spanking. 

7 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

They would get £20mil for Hagi And have told Leeds they want £20 mil for Kent, I reckon if Gerrard leaves both will be away in January. 

They would take in some profit from them deals, and then pick up players on reduced fees or pre contracts, whoever is doing the recruitment at rangers seems to be doing a good job. 

Glad we managed to take one off them we don't have as much money as either celtic or rangers, but it helps when you have a good  recruitment team in savage etc. 

And I'm not Robbies biggest fan but he's getting it right on the pitch at the moment 👍 long may it continue. 

Would love for Robbie to go to Easter Road this year, and give them tramps a right spanking. 

Not a chance will they get a combined 40 million for both of those players. 

Have Rangers even paid Liverpool everything they owed for Kent yet? 

Tom Hardy’s Dug

The going rate for decent Celtic players who had a few years Champs league experience was £10m to £15m.

I can’t see any Rangers player going for more than 10.

Fozzyonthefence
6 minutes ago, StevenNaismith said:

£20M for Hagi? That’s some strong stuff you’re smoking Bongo.

Not a chance.  There was some made up pish story in a foreign country (can’t remember where) about him going for £20m in January iirc.  But that’s what it was - made up pish!  

Mind when they were going to get £6m for Barrie McKay when they were in the Championship?  And £20m for Morelos or whatever it was. 

These Rangers transfer rumours are pure fiction. 

46 minutes ago, Famous 1874 said:

Wait and see. 

They turned down £15 mil for Kent from Leeds. 

And Everton want Hagi. 

Edited by Bongo 1874

bigsuperslim1874
6 hours ago, Bongo 1874 said:

Wait and see. 

And Everton want Hagi. 

So - is Souttar a goner then….no chance of him signing any deal?

Hagi can’t get a regular start for rangers. No chance they are getting 20 million for him even with the stupid money thrown around from English teams 

8 hours ago, Famous 1874 said:

It was something daft like 6M up front and 2M for the next 4 years 

8 hours ago, Bongo 1874 said:

:rofl: 

Has Doig left for £5m plus yet? 

On 09/11/2021 at 12:18, Chillidigits said:

Looking at the wage bill recently posted on here and seeing Woodburn streets ahead of the rest [ 3 times approx more than Cammy for example} I wonder how much [if any] resentment it fuels in some players ie wishing they'd been stronger at the negotiating table on day one. In a sport where every individual is expected to give 100% for the team I can't help thinking that big differences in take home pay must have an adverse effect on some players.

Any time you hear a pro or ex pro talk about this sort of thing it appears the norm is that it's simply never discussed, an unwritten rule type thing.  You get what you get and you get your head down.  if someone gets more, well done them, type thing.

There'll be exceptions where there have been guys getting greeneyed over colleagues' reported wages, but do think it's the exception.  You get more money by doing well and earning it.

On 09/11/2021 at 10:43, Saint Jambo said:

It is funny how the mind plays tricks on us.

Riordan went to Celtic for £170k after refusing to sign a contract extension at Hibs. Hibs then bought him back from Celtic for £400k. Far from getting decent money for him, they actually made a loss across the two transfers. He then left to China on a free after again refusing a contract extension with Hibs.

Including the Riordan move to Celtic also requires going all the way back to 2006. If you include that timescale, then there are examples of Hearts getting players to sign new contracts and then getting good money for them. Most notably, in 2007 we sold Gordon for an initial £7m after he signed a new contract. So maybe it is Hearts rather than Hibs who should be given credit.

As for Doig, Porteous, Nisbet and Boyle, I think you will find there are very mixed views among fans around whether they made a mistake by not taking what they could when they could. Also Nisbet and Porteous signed fairly lengthy contracts initially when Hibs gambled on them, but they haven't so far been persuaded to sign new contracts after they have been on good form for Hibs and been surrounded by transfer speculation. Whether Hibs really have judged things so well on these players will only really become apparent if they go on to make big money on them.

The position with Nisbet and Porteous isn't so different to Souttar who Hearts signed on a three and a half year deal, then signed a 2 year extension. It really is just a case of bad luck for Hearts that his injuries have meant that he is only really demonstrating his ability on a consistent basis just as he comes to the end of his contract. We could maybe have persuaded him to sign a new contract whilst injured last year, but given he says that even he wasn't sure he would ever play again, let alone the level he would be able to play at, that would have been seen as madness.

Can't really see Souttar getting into the Scotland squad as anything other than good news. Likely to keep him motivated. Can't see it making him any less likely to sign an extension. Will up his value marginally if we decide to cash in come January (although with 3rd guaranteeing group stage football next year, taking a few hundred thousand in January feels like a false economy)..

Good post mate.  The McGinn money and that wee spate where they sold off their 2006 superstars (who came 4th and won eff all and they never recovered from, eventually resulted in relegation!) papers over a few cracks in the theory.  They're no different to anyone else really.  Motherwell and others have done well selling players too, as have we.  Hibs just bang on about it, from the club so they can perpetuate the myth and continue to try to punt average players, and from the fans cos they need something, anything to grasp on to - so they develop world class players and sell them apparently.

As for Souttar, you are totally right, nowt could really be done.  Really bad timing contractually with his injuries and return.  I'm just chuffed for us and Soapy that he's back and looking good.  It'll play out how it plays out.  Just hope he goes overseas or down south (to a decent club) rather than West (if he goes - obv I'd rather he stayed - FOREVER!)

Edited by TheBigO

On 09/11/2021 at 11:16, Absolute Scenes said:

on topic of Porteous, he was spotted in the Woodburn social club over the weekend 

Considering his team was decimated by Covid, you;d think there would be common sense around where and when he should be mixing with people, regardless of his vaccine status. It had been less than 10 days since the outbreak occurred so hadnt passed the minimal isolation phase.

Pedantic i know, but what a weapon of a boy. 

Think Covid is one of the better things to catch up the Woodburn.

Heady days though for him. Expensive tastes. Mibby just went for the bingo......you can't hide class eh.

7 hours ago, Bongo 1874 said:

Wait and see. 

And Everton want Hagi. 

Everton haven’t got a pot to piss in at moment so where they gonna get 20m for Hagi for without seriously weakening them

You think if they had money they’d be signing guys like Rondon on free transfers.

Edited by merseyjambo

£20m for Hagi 😂 Absolutely no chance. He has 3 goals this season, 2 against Livingston and Dunfermline.  He's a good prospect, that's about it.  No danger he goes for even half that.

12 hours ago, Bongo 1874 said:

Give them a spanking down there regularly,  be good thing....

Bazzas right boot
59 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

If he was going to buy anyone from Rangers it would be Barasic, Kamara and Patterson. The rest of them are either not good enough or too old. 

Kent is a gimme imo. 

6 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

Kent is a gimme imo. 

Not if Rangers want decent money for him They've got £7m invested in him and will want a profit on that. There are plenty tricky players of his ilk down south and he's not a £10m+ player. All in my opinion of course. 

Guy in front of me at sports bar sat. Said soapy is going to Stoke in Jan 500k   from an ex hearts player. Hope not  after Paterson going fir sweeties.  Nae point us fans pumping money into the club and them geeing players away for peanuts 

kingantti1874
1 minute ago, Psychicjambo said:

Guy in front of me at sports bar sat. Said soapy is going to Stoke in Jan 500k   from an ex hearts player. Hope not  after Paterson going fir sweeties.  Nae point us fans pumping money into the club and them geeing players away for peanuts 

you realise it’s not  in our hands right. If he doesn’t want to sign a new contract nothing we can do

Bazzas right boot
Just now, Cruyff said:

Maybe, is he better than what Villa have though? 

Dunno, Gerrard will tho very soon. 🤣

6 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

you realise it’s not  in our hands right. If he doesn’t want to sign a new contract nothing we can do

Yes mate   just sickening 

McTominay has a virus and has been sent home from the training camp.

Could this be a chance for Souttar to start at CB?

Not sure if McTominay has ever really been playing that deep in recent Scotland games, so might be a non issue.

22 minutes ago, Psychicjambo said:

If he hasn't been injured we would have got a decent fee for him. 

1 hour ago, Cruyff said:

If he was going to buy anyone from Rangers it would be Barasic, Kamara and Patterson. The rest of them are either not good enough or too old. 

Can see Goldson joining on a free at the end of the season. Not sure he would sign a pre contract and play with Rangers until the end of the season. 

20 minutes ago, tian447 said:

McTominay has a virus and has been sent home from the training camp.

Could this be a chance for Souttar to start at CB?

Given John Carvers comments, I suspect he was already in a starting position. 

42 minutes ago, Psychicjambo said:

Guy in front of you at the Sports bar.

Stoke City.

Aye.

Right.

Edited by upgotheheads

Fxxx the SPFL
30 minutes ago, upgotheheads said:

Stoke City.

Aye.

Right.

aye what a load of pish from a 28 post ahem jambo

1 hour ago, Psychicjambo said:

I smell Tom Kite here. Couldn't help but check your profile, 28 posts zero donations. Away and fling it at yerself.

Fozzyonthefence
1 hour ago, tian447 said:

Not sure if McTominay has ever really been playing that deep in recent Scotland games, so might be a non issue.

McTominay played right centre back a few times, I think the most recent might have been away to Denmark.  He’s hopeless there as he can’t defend, not his fault though, he’s not a defender.  

I suspect that had McTominay been available he might have played there again so it makes sense to play Soutar there now as he plays that exact same position every week.  

However, as Soutar wasn’t in the initial squad, he is presumably last choice CB so he probably won’t play.  Not sure who is left but if all fit I’d imagine it would be Tierney LCB, Hendry RCB and either McKenna or Cooper in the middle if they’re in the squad. 

HeartsandonlyHearts
3 hours ago, kingantti1874 said:

Have we tried water boarding or thumb screws yet? We need to step up our game.

2 hours ago, upgotheheads said:

Stoke City.

Aye.

Right.

That was my words to the guy mate  tae lol. Was waiting in the queue  and got chatting about the vulnerability of our defence. The guy sayd well no get rid o halkett as soapy is away in jan. . Felt a bit gutted   but his brother is there. I'm hoping it's a rumour but the guy was sincere 

2 hours ago, TypoonJambo said:

I smell Tom Kite here. Couldn't help but check your profile, 28 posts zero donations. Away and fling it at yerself.

Mate. I'm hoping the guy was wrong  . As a wheelchair user the guy was very helpful and talked about halkett. Me maself I've followed hearrs for 50 years like u  I. Hoping its Tom kite.   I give my donations to  hearts and disabled charities. Etc..  I'll. Be glad if the guy is wrong 

3 minutes ago, Psychicjambo said:

Mate. I'm hoping the guy was wrong  . As a wheelchair user the guy was very helpful and talked about halkett. Me maself I've followed hearrs for 50 years like u  I. Hoping its Tom kite.   I give my donations to  hearts and disabled charities. Etc..  I'll. Be glad if the guy is wrong 

Apologies,didn't mean to offend.

2 minutes ago, TypoonJambo said:

Apologies,didn't mean to offend.

It's ok  mate . I dinnae come on tae lie . Was only saying what the man said.  As we were talking about  how halkett and Moore worked well the soapy cane back amd halkett became  murder  .  I'd be gutted at 500k. But wouldn't surprise me 

2 hours ago, TypoonJambo said:

I'm putting myself in the firing line here 😌

But i've heard similar. Down south but no idea what club. 

4 minutes ago, Pap said:

I'm putting myself in the firing line here 😌

But i've heard similar. Down south but no idea what club. 

But Stoke? Why is that a good move for him? Another year at Heats,if as good as this one,a place in the natoonal team for the qualifiers, European football, then aim higher than bloody Stoke.