John souttar

William H. Bonney

2 hours ago, DS98 said:

Mind that time when folk thought Porteous was a better player  😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

Porto?  :rofl: 

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bazzas right boot

• kingantti1874

• Bongo 1874

• Pasquale for King

3 hours ago, Furious Styles said:

Called up to the Scotland squad. 

Delighted for him. Concerned about the risk of him picking up an injury though. 

One thing, I wonder if this might help us to get him to commit to a new contract. If he's felt he should be getting a call up, but hasn't been getting one, he might have been wondering if a move elsewhere would have boosted his chances. Getting the call up now, even if it is as an injury replacement, might help reassure him that, for now at least, he's in the right place to keep progressing his career.

Hearts player gets called up for showing great form after coming back from back to back horror injuries and folk aren't happy for him. Weird. 

The contract situation is what it is, hopefully he signs one, but if he doesn't there isn't much that can be done about it.

Delighted for him, playing for Scotland has clearly been a big goal of his, and it's nice to see him recognised. 

Inspirational really when you think back to all those injuries to where he is now. Thoroughly deserved.

Congratulations Soapy!

Fozzyonthefence
4 hours ago, Brick Tamland said:

Great for the player not so great for the club if he picks up an injury. 

Doubt he’ll be picking up an injury sitting on the bench.  He obviously goes in as last choice centre back (even behind a guy that plays in midfield unfortunately).  Personally, I’m always pleased to see Hearts players called up for the national team.  

1 hour ago, Morgan said:

Mate.  :rofl: 

Is ending every post with mate the thing he's finally found to replace ending every sentence with a question mark? 

Neil Mccanns Wand

Why is it everyone’s resigned to losing him?  Every time this happens it pisses me off. So many quality players we’ve lost down the years. Doesn’t get any easier. We won’t replace him. He’s a once a decade kind of find.  We can’t afford to replace that quality with another of equal ability.  Other thing is the fee we’ll get or not get. Down south absolutely atrocious players cost £10m+ and players of souttar’s quality next to nothing, even if in contract. 

Praying he doesn’t go to celtic or rangers... i think we will lose him in the summer or January if it’s January a think it would be down south but in the summer he can obviously go anywhere and one of them will be in champs league group stages

12 hours ago, FarmerTweedy said:

Is ending every post with mate the thing he's finally found to replace ending every sentence with a question mark? 

It seems to be.

It's maybe a Hamilton thing.🤥

11 hours ago, Neil Mccanns Wand said:

Why is it everyone’s resigned to losing him?  Every time this happens it pisses me off. So many quality players we’ve lost down the years. Doesn’t get any easier. We won’t replace him. He’s a once a decade kind of find.  We can’t afford to replace that quality with another of equal ability.  Other thing is the fee we’ll get or not get. Down south absolutely atrocious players cost £10m+ and players of souttar’s quality next to nothing, even if in contract. 

If he wants to leave there's nothing anyone can do to stop him.

The club have apparently offered him a new deal which will remain on the table.

He's already signed a two year extension, but maybe wants to earn more than we can afford and/or he wants to test himself in a different league.

He only came back from serious injury at the tail end of last season, so there's not been the opportunity to sell him for the kind of money a player with his talent would normally command.

12 hours ago, Neil Mccanns Wand said:

I hate to give our neighbours credit for anything but they seem to be much better than us over a number of years at getting their perceived talent to sign long term deals.

Hickey had 12 months left on his contract but it appeared had zero intention of signing a new deal so we didn’t get market value for him, C Patz are the obvious 2. 

They managed to persuade Rearend and the sniff head to sign deals and got decent money for both. They’ve gotten their current ‘talent’ in Doig, Porteous, Nisbet and Boyle to do the same.

Its frustrating when it happens.

Jambo_jim2001
3 minutes ago, merseyjambo said:

I hate to give our neighbours credit for anything but they seem to be much better than us over a number of years at getting their perceived talent to sign long term deals.

Hickey had 12 months left on his contract but it appeared had zero intention of signing a new deal so we didn’t get market value for him, C Patz are the obvious 2. 

They managed to persuade Rearend and the sniff head to sign deals and got decent money for both. They’ve gotten their current ‘talent’ in Doig, Porteous, Nisbet and Boyle to do the same.

Probably due to us having our fingers burnt in the past with so called great footballers signing long contracts.good luck to soapy pity a couple had to call off though before he got a call up,wish him all the best a great asset to us when playing.hearts as a club should be a dream move for any footballer worth their salt but the state of Scottish football in present / past due to the Erse cheeks rules that out not only for us but everyone else up here.

15 hours ago, FarmerTweedy said:

Delighted for him. Concerned about the risk of him picking up an injury though. 

One thing, I wonder if this might help us to get him to commit to a new contract. If he's felt he should be getting a call up, but hasn't been getting one, he might have been wondering if a move elsewhere would have boosted his chances. Getting the call up now, even if it is as an injury replacement, might help reassure him that, for now at least, he's in the right place to keep progressing his career.

Agree totally with your first line.

If he hasn't made up his mind to renew, I can't see this making the difference.   He might l decide that if he was playing for some tin pot English club, he'd be an automatic choice for the Scotland squad.  I'm a bit of a pessimist but I can't help but think if he intended to say, he'd have signed something by now.  Hopefully, I'm wrong.  It has been known in the past.

Ex member of the SaS

I get every player wants to play for their national team but I wish ours would refuse. partly due to injury worries and partly due to they " only" get the call when someone from the old firm drop out. IF they are good enough to be picked ( and soapy is ) then there should never have been a debate in the first place. Getting the call simply due to drop outs or injuries shows you are thought of as second best or at worst an after thought.

Rudi5kaceldream1ng

100% deserved. Well done big man, he's turned it all around. I mind seeing him at haymarket with his foot in a cast on crutches not too long ago..Great news for him. 

bigsuperslim1874

Pleased for him and fully deserved. It’s certainly not looking promising regarding a new deal and the fact McNamara is involved makes it even less likely.

Let’s just hope at worst we get a good deal from a team down south with a sell-on if we don’t get an extension. I know the leaks have been pretty much stopped but still surprised there is no chat about likely outcome with Souttar.

22 hours ago, FarmerTweedy said:

Yeah mate, that sounds what is happening mate, definitely annoying mate. 

Mate. 

:lol:

Jambo in Bathgate
41 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

Hope we can keep him, but looking unlikely heard rangers are wanting Souttar and Woodburn. 

Rangers are in financial difficulties again. They need Champions league money. Until then they will sell players. 

4 minutes ago, Jambo in Bathgate said:

Rangers are in financial difficulties again. They need Champions league money. Until then they will sell players. 

They could sell both Hagi and Kent, and pick up both players mentioned for free. 

JimboJambo1874
1 hour ago, Bongo 1874 said:

Hope we can keep him, but looking unlikely heard rangers are wanting Souttar and Woodburn. 

They're always after our players. They come to Tynie to do their shopping.

3 hours ago, JimboJambo1874 said:

They're always after our players. They come to Tynie to do their shopping.

Shocked they didn't pick up Amankwaa, Pereira and Whelan

Jambo in Bathgate
6 hours ago, Bongo 1874 said:

They could sell both Hagi and Kent, and pick up both players mentioned for free. 

Will they not have to pay Liverpool a fee. Which will increase if he continues to play well for us. Also Souttar would earn more in England. 

21 hours ago, merseyjambo said:

It is funny how the mind plays tricks on us.

Riordan went to Celtic for £170k after refusing to sign a contract extension at Hibs. Hibs then bought him back from Celtic for £400k. Far from getting decent money for him, they actually made a loss across the two transfers. He then left to China on a free after again refusing a contract extension with Hibs.

Including the Riordan move to Celtic also requires going all the way back to 2006. If you include that timescale, then there are examples of Hearts getting players to sign new contracts and then getting good money for them. Most notably, in 2007 we sold Gordon for an initial £7m after he signed a new contract. So maybe it is Hearts rather than Hibs who should be given credit.

As for Doig, Porteous, Nisbet and Boyle, I think you will find there are very mixed views among fans around whether they made a mistake by not taking what they could when they could. Also Nisbet and Porteous signed fairly lengthy contracts initially when Hibs gambled on them, but they haven't so far been persuaded to sign new contracts after they have been on good form for Hibs and been surrounded by transfer speculation. Whether Hibs really have judged things so well on these players will only really become apparent if they go on to make big money on them.

The position with Nisbet and Porteous isn't so different to Souttar who Hearts signed on a three and a half year deal, then signed a 2 year extension. It really is just a case of bad luck for Hearts that his injuries have meant that he is only really demonstrating his ability on a consistent basis just as he comes to the end of his contract. We could maybe have persuaded him to sign a new contract whilst injured last year, but given he says that even he wasn't sure he would ever play again, let alone the level he would be able to play at, that would have been seen as madness.

Can't really see Souttar getting into the Scotland squad as anything other than good news. Likely to keep him motivated. Can't see it making him any less likely to sign an extension. Will up his value marginally if we decide to cash in come January (although with 3rd guaranteeing group stage football next year, taking a few hundred thousand in January feels like a false economy)..

Bazzas right boot
7 hours ago, Bongo 1874 said:

They could, but theyd be weakening themselves. 

Absolute Scenes

on topic of Porteous, he was spotted in the Woodburn social club over the weekend 

Considering his team was decimated by Covid, you;d think there would be common sense around where and when he should be mixing with people, regardless of his vaccine status. It had been less than 10 days since the outbreak occurred so hadnt passed the minimal isolation phase.

Pedantic i know, but what a weapon of a boy. 

Tom Hardy’s Dug

I genuinely can’t see why we don’t double his wages to get him to sign. The cost of replacing him or the cost of not having him or both will make that look like a low risk high reward deal.

We can build a release option into any new deal.

Of course if someone comes in in Jan for £2.5m plus that maybe changes things

Edited by Tom Hardy’s Dug

16 minutes ago, Absolute Scenes said:

on topic of Porteous, he was spotted in the Woodburn social club over the weekend 

Considering his team was decimated by Covid, you;d think there would be common sense around where and when he should be mixing with people, regardless of his vaccine status. It had been less than 10 days since the outbreak occurred so hadnt passed the minimal isolation phase.

Pedantic i know, but what a weapon of a boy. 

If he's double vaccinated there's no 10 day isolation as long as he tests negative

It’s good his form at the moment has been recognised with a deserved recall. Good luck to him whatever the outcome of his contract talks. 

Pasquale for King
15 minutes ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

I genuinely can’t see why we don’t double his wages to get him to sign. The cost of replacing him or the cost of not having him or both will make that look like a low risk high reward deal.

We can build a release option into any new deal.

Of course if someone comes in in Jan for £2.5m plus that maybe changes things

Maybe he just doesn’t want to stay no matter what we offer, unlikely anyone will pay that sort of fee to him considering he’s out of contract in the summer and his injury history..

Delighted for Souttar after the awful injuries he's had, certainly deserves it.  As for the contract situation, I can't see him signing a new contract (hope I'm wrong), however, I just hope he heads down south rather than joining one of the old firm.  No issue with him not signing a new deal, it's a short career and he needs to do what's best for him.

Horatio Caine

Just listened to JS on the Sportsound podcast.  Comes over really well and some very positive things to say about playing for Hearts atm.

If any Hearts player has the chance to leave and get a better deal then fair enough but I trust in Savage and Co to anticipate the player's intentions and be proactive in lining up a replacement who is as good or better.

Looking at the wage bill recently posted on here and seeing Woodburn streets ahead of the rest [ 3 times approx more than Cammy for example} I wonder how much [if any] resentment it fuels in some players ie wishing they'd been stronger at the negotiating table on day one. In a sport where every individual is expected to give 100% for the team I can't help thinking that big differences in take home pay must have an adverse effect on some players.

Tom Hardy’s Dug
37 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Maybe he just doesn’t want to stay no matter what we offer, unlikely anyone will pay that sort of fee to him considering he’s out of contract in the summer and his injury history..

Ok my view would be that a hefty sell on fee gets built in to any January transfer then if we are not getting much cash.

However it’s a difficult one - from a footballing perspective do we benefit from Souttar staying and leaving for free or so we look to sell him and line up Taylor Moore as his replacement with the money…?

Edited by Tom Hardy’s Dug

3 minutes ago, Chillidigits said:

Looking at the wage bill recently posted on here and seeing Woodburn streets ahead of the rest [ 3 times approx more than Cammy for example} I wonder how much [if any] resentment it fuels in some players ie wishing they'd been stronger at the negotiating table on day one. In a sport where every individual is expected to give 100% for the team I can't help thinking that big differences in take home pay must have an adverse effect on some players.

Maybe? It’s why clubs have wage structures. Sure Woodburn probably earns what 3 of our players combined make but Hearts aren’t paying that. Liverpool are. 

TBH we might be too rigid in our wage structure to pay Souttar enough to convince him to extend. I would be throwing everything at him to convince him to stay otherwise we’re allowing several million pounds worth of player to stroll out the door. We cannot replace that. 

Even a 1 year deal just to make sure the club get something would be great. 

Pasquale for King
21 minutes ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

Ok my view would be that a hefty sell on fee gets built in to any January transfer then if we are not getting much cash.

However it’s a difficult one - from a footballing perspective do we benefit from Souttar staying and leaving for free or so we look to sell him and line up Taylor Moore as his replacement with the money…?

Sell on fee would be a good idea, but considering he’s never played more than around 20 games in a row for us it’s unlikely any team will pay a fee or sell him on. Hope I’m wrong there. 
Taylor Moore stats have shown he’s probably the best CH and RWB we’ve got, shockingly enough. 
It would be a great signing to get him permanently, but if we don’t I trust the recruitment team to find us someone of similar quality. 

Pasquale for King
26 minutes ago, Chillidigits said:

I don’t think we’re paying all his wages so I doubt if there’s any resentment. 

Tom Hardy’s Dug

There is no resentment in our first choice 14 or 15 IMO - haven’t seen a team as well bonded in years.

Id imagine 3 or 4 players aren’t too chuffed but, ultimately, all of those likely suspects are expendable and can be replaced by better.

5 hours ago, Jeff said:

Shocked they didn't pick up Amankwaa, Pereira and Whelan

They tried to pick up Pereira but the contract slipped between his fingers.

Jambo in Bathgate
9 minutes ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

There is no resentment in our first choice 14 or 15 IMO - haven’t seen a team as well bonded in years.

Id imagine 3 or 4 players aren’t too chuffed but, ultimately, all of those likely suspects are expendable and can be replaced by better.

That may also be due to our players having to earn their bonuses now. No more high wage low bonus. Makes all the difference. 

2 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

I don’t think we’re paying all his wages so I doubt if there’s any resentment. 

I think it's difficult for us ordinary mortals to get into the mindset of sporting gods. Most of them have spent years in the system, even  from childhood, and they know the score. I can look at someone like Gino or  Beni and wonder why they're with us and not in the Premier league, and Woodward and ask why, given his quality on Saturday, he couldn't get a regular game for Liverpool. 

Maybe it's a bit like the 100 metres at the Olympics, you can be 0.1 second behind the gold medallist and scarcely  get a mention in the history book, except as a runner up. The differences are tiny, while the winner makes millions like Hussein Bolt, the other guy ends up having to work for a living.

Pasquale for King
51 minutes ago, upgotheheads said:

I think it's difficult for us ordinary mortals to get into the mindset of sporting gods. Most of them have spent years in the system, even  from childhood, and they know the score. I can look at someone like Gino or  Beni and wonder why they're with us and not in the Premier league, and Woodward and ask why, given his quality on Saturday, he couldn't get a regular game for Liverpool. 

Maybe it's a bit like the 100 metres at the Olympics, you can be 0.1 second behind the gold medallist and scarcely  get a mention in the history book, except as a runner up. The differences are tiny, while the winner makes millions like Hussein Bolt, the other guy ends up having to work for a living.

Woodburn is a good player but not at that level, Beni might get there with a lower level team, Gino needs to progress a bit and score a bit more but was great on Saturday. 
Not sure if they’re gods either to be brutally honest 😜. 

Pasquale for King
2 hours ago, Jambo in Bathgate said:

That may also be due to our players having to earn their bonuses now. No more high wage low bonus. Makes all the difference. 

It’s a good point, Souttar might not fancy that being changed in his new contract with his history.