Boycie

rmreido

10 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

Motherwell have a few big players so he might be tempted to put him up front to match them up but he can't even jump his own height so I would start with the same team as we did yesterday.

This is a good point and something nobody is critical of from yesterday's performance (understandably, want to keep positivity going on the day of a big win!). Our crossing was pretty woeful at times and aside from Halkett and Soapy I don't think we won many headers.

Keeping the ball on the ground and cutting through the middle or sides (as opposed to crossing into the box) will be where our strength lies in this lineup. Motherwell's tactics recently seem to be, quite literally, kick and batter the opponent team - so we need to hope Devlin keeps his cool and it doesn't injure some of our weaker (physically) players.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bazzas right boot

• wavydavy

• Cruyff

• Agentjambo

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 minute ago, Halliphax said:

This is a good point and something nobody is critical of from yesterday's performance (understandably, want to keep positivity going on the day of a big win!). Our crossing was pretty woeful at times and aside from Halkett and Soapy I don't think we won many headers.

Keeping the ball on the ground and cutting through the middle or sides (as opposed to crossing into the box) will be where our strength lies in this lineup. Motherwell's tactics recently seem to be, quite literally, kick and batter the opponent team - so we need to hope Devlin keeps his cool and it doesn't injure some of our weaker (physically) players.

When I saw the score from Aberdeen v Motherwell I was quite surprised but then I watched the highlights on TV and couldn't believe how Aberdeen  were not out of sight in the first half.

It was a bit like us  V Dundee where they should have been about 4 - 0 up at the break.

Motherwell then score from their first shot on goal at the start iof the second half and go on to win the game against the run of play.

They are not an easy team to beat at home but they were a lucky team yesterday.

Arthur Morgan
11 hours ago, wavydavy said:

Motherwell have a few big players so he might be tempted to put him up front to match them up

He actually said the reason he went for Ginnelly yesterday was because they had tall players like Mulgrew and he didn't want to make it a battle with picking Gnanduillet. He wanted our players running in the channels causing them problems with our pace, looks like he was spot on.

It's a squad game.  Horses for courses.  Blah. blah, blah.

I'm trusting them to make the right selections.  They deserve that.

We had a terrible 1st half against Celtic and a well below 2nd half against Aberdeen.  Other than that we've been excellant.

Its a bit of a dilemma but one the manager will be happy to have.

I'll trust whatever he chooses. He's got most things right this season, so I'll back whatever option Robbie goes with.

Bazzas right boot
20 hours ago, Section Q said:

Moore yes but Ginnelly is hot and cold.

Agreed and against a team who sits ten yards deeper he is almost useless. 

Our next game is Motherwell away tho so I'd probably play him there, they'll attack and try to play. 

Against the Dundee/ livi types at home he won't be as effective. 

Edited by Smith's right boot

Bazzas right boot
18 hours ago, Halliphax said:

Fair point, but I don't think we have physically weak players. 

We are one of the fittest, tenacious and strongest in the league, although we do lack height if that's what you mean. 

Maroon Sailor
1 hour ago, Kiwidoug said:

We had a terrible 1st half against Celtic and a well below 2nd half against Aberdeen.  Other than that we've been excellant.

You've been Greta Thunberged

Fozzyonthefence
1 hour ago, Kiwidoug said:

You forgot the first half at Ibrox?!

I think what we're seeing is the positive effect of the "unbeaten" shackle lifted. Maybe we've been playing not to lose lately , being a bit too careful in order to preserve our record and end up drawing games that were winnable.

Thankyou Aberdeen for bursting our bubble - it was suffocating us. I hope we will now go on show what we are really capable of.

1 hour ago, Smith's right boot said:

Fair point, but I don't think we have physically weak players. 

We are one of the fittest, tenacious and strongest in the league, although we do lack height if that's what you mean. 

Aye I chose my words wrong, I meant in terms of height and in size relative to someone like Jet (Aberdeen) or Mugabi (Motherwell)

Bazzas right boot
8 minutes ago, Halliphax said:

Aye I chose my words wrong, I meant in terms of height and in size relative to someone like Jet (Aberdeen) or Mugabi (Motherwell)

V Aberdeen the size is noticeable. 

And as you say noticed it v Motherwell / celtic as well. 

Not so noticeable v Utd and Hibs. 

But we are quite a small side. 

Just now, Smith's right boot said:

More interested to see what the media have chosen to nitpick now that "big, physical Hearts" isn't an option.

Bazzas right boot
16 minutes ago, Chillidigits said:

I think what we're seeing is the positive effect of the "unbeaten" shackle lifted. Maybe we've been playing not to lose lately , being a bit too careful in order to preserve our record and end up drawing games that were winnable.

Thankyou Aberdeen for bursting our bubble - it was suffocating us. I hope we will now go on show what we are really capable of.

Disagree with that. 

We beat Utd last time and beat them again. 

Getting beat isn't a good thing, most fans and I'm sure every one at the club would rather have drawn or beaten Aberdeen. 

Bazzas right boot
1 minute ago, Halliphax said:

More interested to see what the media have chosen to nitpick now that "big, physical Hearts" isn't an option.

Aye. 

Just like the flair team across the way. 

I would keep Boyce on the bench for now, to see how the team performs, at least for the next couple. Both Boyce and Smith were missing, and the difference in speed of passing, movement on and of the ball was quite staggering without these 2. Might be something in it, maybe not. We ran the channels, we were all over place, we attacked at great speed and with confidence. Ginnelly was obviously a huge contributing factor, but this was like watching a different team altogether. I say keep it the same for now, definitely worth a shot.......no pun intended.

Edited by innerjambo
Spelling

In my opinion, Boyce is a player who is intelligent, his thought process is miles ahead of Gino. You could see Gino waiting for the ball and losing out early in the game, and his selection of when to strike the ball in the second half was wanting, seemed to be unsure what foot he wanted to use. Albeit, Gino has a turn of pace and a refreshing rawness, Boyce would be first choice.

Kidd’s Boots

If nothing else, Saturday should have proven 2 things. The system we play suits the players in the squad, and it’s down to RN to pick the right starting 11 and finishing 11 for the system. He hasn’t always done that in the first quarter of the season and that includes sticking with Boyce. Circumstances took that out of his hands to a degree this week, and the players given the opportunity did exactly what he has asked of them- take it when it comes. Boyce and Smith will have to do the same. 

9 hours ago, Arthur Morgan said:

He actually said the reason he went for Ginnelly yesterday was because they had tall players like Mulgrew and he didn't want to make it a battle with picking Gnanduillet. He wanted our players running in the channels causing them problems with our pace, looks like he was spot on.

Well that's nice to know because Gnando is not a battling type of player and would most definitely lost out. So that was a good decisioon by Robbie and hopefully he does the same v Motherwell.

47 minutes ago, Biffa Bacon said:

In my opinion, Boyce is a player who is intelligent, his thought process is miles ahead of Gino. You could see Gino waiting for the ball and losing out early in the game, and his selection of when to strike the ball in the second half was wanting, seemed to be unsure what foot he wanted to use. Albeit, Gino has a turn of pace and a refreshing rawness, Boyce would be first choice.

I get what you are saying to an extent however you have to remember that he is not used to playing as an out and out striker and he caused them problems with his pace and movement which is not something Boyce ever does.

Boyce slows our play down a bit too much at times and gives teams time to organise at the back wheresas with pace as we showed on Saturday when can hit teams hard on the counter.

Personally I would be tempted to leave things as they are and play the same team and maybe have Boyce on the bench assuming he is fit.

I was surprised by how big McEneff is having not seen much of him in person... although it may just be relative to how small his colleagues are!!

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, innerjambo said:

I would keep Boyce on the bench for now, to see how the team performs, at least for the next couple. Both Boyce and Smith were missing, and the difference in speed of passing, movement on and of the ball was quite staggering without these 2. Might be something in it, maybe not. We ran the channels, we were all over place, we attacked at great speed and with confidence. Ginnelly was obviously a huge contributing factor, but this was like watching a different team altogether. I say keep it the same for now, definitely worth a shot.......no pun intended.

Spot on. 

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, Biffa Bacon said:

Yeah, that's he difference between them. 

Gino is fast, raw and direct but not very intelligent in his decision making. 

Boyce drops deeper but is very clever. 

I do feel that if a team sits deep then Gino becomes very ineffective. 

Good to have options tho and to be able to mix it up. 

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, innerjambo said:

Disagree. 

We've been threatening to score lots in several games, just poor finishing, decision making and maybe a bit of luck stopped that from happening. 

We've had lots of good passing and fast passing with those 2 in the team in games. 

The team with Boyce and Smith beaten celtic, won at utd first time round and went 11 league games unbeaten. 

Don't agree it was like watching a different team at all, we've been good in lots of games this season, the difference was not only our players playing well ( Woodburn had his best game and Gino played well) but also Utd coming out to attack and play as well which imo helped us. 

1 minute ago, Mr Brightside said:

Boyce if fit should play. He is a natural striker. Ginnelly moves to the right and McKay onto the bench.

No way McKay deserves to be dropped for me

Disagree with that. 

We beat Utd last time and beat them again. 

Getting beat isn't a good thing, most fans and I'm sure every one at the club would rather have drawn or beaten Aberdeen. 

Yes , no one ever likes their team losing or dropping points. But that defeat prompted the management to change things a bit and it brought a freshness and positivity to how we approached the United game I thought.

Mr Brightside
2 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Just felt on Saturday he was the least productive of the front 3.

Some healthy competition should keep everyone on their toes.

Bazzas right boot
22 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Agreed, McKay is a brilliant wee player. 

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Has to be the same team again, you cant change that. Most enjoyable Hearts game, maybe bar thrashing Celtic 4-0 since Kilmarnock 5 3 game November 97.

26 minutes ago, Mr Brightside said:

That was our best attacking performance for god knows how long, why are we talking about taking one of the key components out? McKay's a constant threat with great movement, great effort, he rarely loses possession and he gets stuck in. And that's before we get to his positive side - I bloody love him!

Disagree. 

We've been threatening to score lots in several games, just poor finishing, decision making and maybe a bit of luck stopped that from happening. 

We've had lots of good passing and fast passing with those 2 in the team in games. 

The team with Boyce and Smith beaten celtic, won at utd first time round and went 11 league games unbeaten. 

Don't agree it was like watching a different team at all, we've been good in lots of games this season, the difference was not only our players playing well ( Woodburn had his best game and Gino played well) but also Utd coming out to attack and play as well which imo helped us. 

But what if that really is the result of the product on the pitch, and the positions they're playing in. How long can we keep missing golden opportunities and goal scoring chances.

I get where you're coming from with Boyce's intelligence, and Smith's experience. But for me it definitely slows our game down, and Smith's crossing could be better to say the least. 

What I, and others witnessed on Saturday was a whole new dynamic. Surely worth another look?

Great display on Saturday and feel that there is a strong argument that as long as you are playing well you stay in the team. (if we stuck to that though, maybe Haring would still be in the team.) Both Smith and Boyce are good players and I feel it is no slur on them that they do not automatically walk back in. We have a competitive squad and they, McAneff, Makay - Stevens, Haring and even Gnanduillet, will have important roles to play if we are going to achieve what we need to. 

35 minutes ago, Smithee said:

That was our best attacking performance for god knows how long, why are we talking about taking one of the key components out? McKay's a constant threat with great movement, great effort, he rarely loses possession and he gets stuck in. And that's before we get to his positive side - I bloody love him!

Agree wholeheartedly, no pun intended.

15 minutes ago, gar jambo said:

You got to remember we had an attacking team at Aberdeen and it did not click! 

We had a bit of an off day coupled with their change of tactics after the break which we failed to react to until it was too late.

Maybe a lesson to be learned there for Robbie.

Aberdeen looked just as aggressive against Motherwell but lost. Motherwell scored with their first shot on goal and were by far the poorer team but managed a win.

Sometimes that happens.

Bazzas right boot
14 minutes ago, innerjambo said:

But what if that really is the result of the product on the pitch, and the positions they're playing in. How long can we keep missing golden opportunities and goal scoring chances.

I get where you're coming from with Boyce's intelligence, and Smith's experience. But for me it definitely slows our game down, and Smith's crossing could be better to say the least. 

What I, and others witnessed on Saturday was a whole new dynamic. Surely worth another look?

Yeah, Woodburn up top is definitely worth another look. 

It's good to have options!

1 hour ago, Mr Brightside said:

Missed good bit of game on Saturday due to dodgy reception . Read minor criticisms of McKay . Watching highlights was amazed to see how much he was involved at crucial moments

Bazzas right boot
4 minutes ago, john thomas said:

Missed good bit of game on Saturday due to dodgy reception . Read minor criticisms of McKay . Watching highlights was amazed to see how much he was involved at crucial moments

Yeah, that's him in a nutshell. 

I thought he'd be the best signing of the summer and I'm sticking with it. 

Changes a whole game with a drop of the shoulder or a quick pass. 

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, wavydavy said:

Well that's nice to know because Gnando is not a battling type of player and would most definitely lost out. So that was a good decisioon by Robbie and hopefully he does the same v Motherwell.

This was the biggest difference from the Aberdeen game, Gnando never started. 

Hopefully he can play his part from now until he leaves but Gnando will leave either in January or the summer. 

He's not good enough. 

Personally I would start with the same starting eleven if all fit. Why?

I see Mothwrwell as a very similar team to Dundee United, and because they are the home team will come out and attack us at Fir Park and for me will leave themselves open to being attacked down either flank and through the middle as United were on Saturday.

Pace is the way again to beat Motherwell. If Boycie is fit then I would use him next Saturday in the way Gnanduillet was used against United, as in coming off the bench.

Pasquale for King
7 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

Personally I would start with the same starting eleven if all fit. Why?

I see Mothwrwell as a very similar team to Dundee United, and because they are the home team will come out and attack us at Fir Park and for me will leave themselves open to being attacked down either flank and through the middle as United were on Saturday.

Pace is the way again to beat Motherwell. If Boycie is fit then I would use him next Saturday in the way Gnanduillet was used against United, as in coming off the bench.

Definitely, no need to change the team after such a brilliant performance. 

This wasn’t a fluke result.  

We scored 5.  
Their keeper made 4 great saves.  

We have dropped so many important points this Season because we didn’t score enough. 

GOALS IS WHAT WE NEED!! 

Motherwell aren’t totally different to Dundee Utd that needs massive tactical change to handle.  

Keep it the same from start. Equally, McEneff deserves more minutes from the bench for what he contributed when he came on. 

We have to show, if you get a chance and do well, you keep your place.  That way, anyone who gets on will perform to their best and we get the best out of the squad. 

how he an we keep squad motivated if they do well then disappear until next injury.  

if Boyce was banging in a goal a game from outfield play, it might be different - but he’s not.