Boycie

rmreido

After todays brilliant performance, will Liam Boyce start the next match v Motherwell, even if he's fit, plus who would you drop if he does start 

Personally, I wouldn't.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bazzas right boot

• wavydavy

• Cruyff

• Agentjambo

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Think the front three of Woodburn, Ginnelly, and McKay worked well with the United defenders struggling to mark them as they swapped around.

Boyce has competition for a place. I'd be tempted to keep the same team, even if Smith is also fit...

I said in another thread it feels like we’ve scored more goals from open play today than any other league match combined this season. 

We should keep this lineup, we romped it today like no other, don’t wanna risk that for anything.

SomethingAboutObua

Motherwell's a difficult one because we knew from the start United wanted to press and pass whereas Motherwell's tactic is how hard can we kick the opposition? 

Can Ginnelly hold up on his own as a centre forward against that brutality I'm not so sure. 

Anyone else I'd say let's try Boyce on the bench but against those hammer throwers I'm torn.

Absolute Scenes

None of our first front three get dropped just because Boyce has scored more. We need that same 11 starting . if he impresses know training then so be it. But he doesn’t get to walk back in. Notorious for slowing down attack and bad decision making 

been here before

We've just scored five, played some great football and knocked out the best display for a good wee while. 

Why should Boyce have a divine right to stroll back into a starting place?

HeartsandonlyHearts

Bring him back and see how he does with on form players feeding him hopefully the kind of balls he craves. Then up to him to prove he’s worth a starting spot. Eazy Peazy.

HHGH

19 minutes ago, MTS1874 said:

Smith will also be on the bench after that performance by Moore.

Hopefully. 

It was rather enjoyable not seeing his shite attempts at crossing today. 😁

Arthur Morgan
29 minutes ago, pobster22 said:

Nice to have a striker with pace

We were getting one with Obafemi from Southampton but Swansea got him permanently instead. Today is why Robbie was looking for a striker with pace. Look at the energy Ginnelly brought today and also look at how intensely we pressed from the front. Boyce isn't capable of that. 

Bazzas right boot

Every game is different. 

What worked this week might not work next week, although I do feel whatever Bob decides we need more runners. 

Today we had a fluid 3 and Woodburn runs in behind as did Gino. 

If Boyce plays then Gino,McKay need to run in behind so the defence gets pulled around. 

If Boyce plays then Woodburn or McEneff need to play of him as they will do that. 

If not Boyce becomes isolated and play gets slowed down. 

Boyce is under rated on here but we are now playing a system with clever players who wil pick runs out and play quick passes. 

Our striker must fit around  that. 

Boyce tends to come deep, spread play and win fouls. 

We need other players to break the lines if he plays. 

Utd helped us today by trying to win the game as well, if a team sits deep then running behind becomes impossible. 

Gino then becomes less effective, Boyce more so. 

Edited by Smith's right boot

Would be fine with Boyce coming back in as a good goalscorer but hopefully Moore keeps his place ahead of Smith now, plus that we don't see halliday coming off the bench before mceneff again. 

Maroon Sailor
5 hours ago, been here before said:

We've just scored five, played some great football and knocked out the best display for a good wee while. 

Why should Boyce have a divine right to stroll back into a starting place?

Stroll being the operative word

There is nothing sharp or energetic about his play hence the reason I think we don't score enough from open play when he's in the team.

6 hours ago, kila said:

Think the front three of Woodburn, Ginnelly, and McKay worked well with the United defenders struggling to mark them as they swapped around.

Boyce has competition for a place. I'd be tempted to keep the same team, even if Smith is also fit...

Only change i would make to the starting eleven is McEneff for McKay.

4 hours ago, Smith's right boot said:

Every game is different. 

What worked this week might not work next week, although I do feel whatever Bob decides we need more runners. 

Today we had a fluid 3 and Woodburn runs in behind as did Gino. 

If Boyce plays then Gino,McKay need to run in behind so the defence gets pulled around. 

If Boyce plays then Woodburn or McEneff need to play of him as they will do that. 

If not Boyce becomes isolated and play gets slowed down. 

Boyce is under rated on here but we are now playing a system with clever players who wil pick runs out and play quick passes. 

Our striker must fit around  that. 

Boyce tends to come deep, spread play and win fouls. 

We need other players to break the lines if he plays. 

Utd helped us today by trying to win the game as well, if a team sits deep then running behind becomes impossible. 

Gino then becomes less effective, Boyce more so. 

Good points here, I wont pretend I'm not critical of Boyce (not as a person, just his style of play), if we tried today's tactics against the likes of Celtic they might have sussed it out at half time and shut our front three down with a formation tweak and a sub or two.

Like you allude to in your comment, need to take each game as it comes but I'll still stand by the stat of five goals from open play against a good Utd side doesn't have me falling over myself to reserve Boyce a spot after an injury spell.

I would leave Boyce on the bench. He has to realise that we're not fully dependent on him, with the intention to tweak mojo, and get more fire in his belly 🔥 

Was worried we'd be in the same situation we were in when we depended too much on Naisy. Nice to see such a good performance/result. Shows how far we've come under Robbie.....

Robbie certainly has some tough decisions to make. What a good problem to have though and it’s great to see a bunch of hungry players fighting for a place in the starting eleven. Moore, McEneff, GMS and a good few others all brought something extra yesterday.   I’m not sure I would drop Boyce if he’s available but also not sure if I would change a winning team either! Good times. 

There is really not much of a choice to make IMO. Boyce is our only natural goal scorer at the club. He has 10 goals and will start when fit again. It’s quite simple. 

Up until yesterday we struggled without him. 

Edited by AlimOzturk

5 hours ago, Section Q said:

Was worried we'd be in the same situation we were in when we depended too much on Naisy. Nice to see such a good performance/result. Shows how far we've come under Robbie.....

Likewise. Gnando up top on his own. No. That formation yesterday, and I can only go on highlights. Hell yes

Diadora Van Basten

I would leave Ginnelly and Taylor Moore in there.

I suspect that Boyce will play his way back into the team but am not so sure about Smith.

12 hours ago, Diadora Van Basten said:

I would leave Ginnelly and Taylor Moore in there.

I suspect that Boyce will play his way back into the team but am not so sure about Smith.

Moore yes but Ginnelly is hot and cold.

I hope we stick with an unchanged team - only player knocking on the door is McEnuff. 

Boyce slows things down, comes deep but leaves us nobody in the box and is too slow to get in there to meet the ball. I like his appetite for getting goals but I'd rather see a mobile front 3 - yesterday reminded me a bit of when we had the 3 wee guys in the 80s - JC, Robbo and Foster/Crabbe

3 minutes ago, Spellczech said:

I hope we stick with an unchanged team - only player knocking on the door is McEnuff. 

Boyce slows things down, comes deep but leaves us nobody in the box and is too slow to get in there to meet the ball. I like his appetite for getting goals but I'd rather see a mobile front 3 - yesterday reminded me a bit of when we had the 3 wee guys in the 80s - JC, Robbo and Foster/Crabbe

Yesterday was excellent. Pace and speed of thought. Agree, yesterdays starting front three need to start v Motherwell. 

Tom Hardy’s Dug

You have to give that front 3 another start.

We were everything yesterday in attack that would have seen us top of the league had they played in previous games.

Necessity is the mother of invention

Edited by Tom Hardy’s Dug

3 hours ago, AlimOzturk said:

There is really not much of a choice to make IMO. Boyce is our only natural goal scorer at the club. He has 10 goals and will start when fit again. It’s quite simple.

I like Boyce but I think natural goal scorer is a stretch for someone who has (P) next to his name more often than not. We don't even need to bandy stats about to know that the game we played against St Johnstone (despite the draw) and Dundee Utd had the pace that we've been missing with him up front. It's about perspective as well, we scored half his entire season's goals in one match yesterday...

3 hours ago, AlimOzturk said:

Up until yesterday we struggled without him. 

You could argue we struggled without him because we had Gnando up front who wasn't doing it for us. Remove him from the equation and we've got McKay, Woodburn and Gino all in interchangeable positions in this fluid front three formation (which we can't do with Boyce).

So effectively, putting Boyce back in the squad means we're changing from three pacey strikers/wings to one hold up striker. What would he have brought to yesterday's game that those three didn't?

I'm not saying this formation will work against every team and there will certainly be times we need someone like Boyce playing (i.e against a back five when we need someone to draw fouls and break the lines) but I think ripping up the gameplan/formation from our highest scoring, most entertaining game this season just to put Boyce back in after an injury is a bit dodgy.

Even if you disagree with my above points, you have to admit that the only thing you don't do other than bench an on-form striker is change a winning formation.

Edited by Halliphax

17 hours ago, pobster22 said:

16 hours ago, Arthur Morgan said:

We were getting one with Obafemi from Southampton but Swansea got him permanently instead. Today is why Robbie was looking for a striker with pace. Look at the energy Ginnelly brought today and also look at how intensely we pressed from the front. Boyce isn't capable of that. 

12 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Stroll being the operative word

There is nothing sharp or energetic about his play hence the reason I think we don't score enough from open play when he's in the team.

It's difficult to see how Boyce would fit in, even as a sub, to yesterday's team. When McAneff came on there was no change in the style or tempo.  

Maroon Sailor
1 minute ago, upgotheheads said:

It's difficult to see how Boyce would fit in, even as a sub, to yesterday's team. When McAneff came on there was no change in the style or tempo.  

Everything is too tippy tappy with Boyce - takes the momentum out of our attacking play imo

Still the best striker we have at the club by some distance 

Robbie and his coaches know this and Boyce will be back in the side for the Motherwell match assuming he is fit

Change McKay for McEneff and I think we may well have our strongest team which insanely wouldn't include Boyce or Smith!!

Boyce and Smith should both have to wait for there chance to get back in to the team after yesterdays performance.

I would 100% start with the same team against Motherwell as we started with today. Any change would be extremely unfair and any player dropped after yesterdays performance would have every right to feel aggrieved imo.

Pasquale for King

No need to rush him back now, it would be surprising if any changes were made unless someone is injured. Ginnelly was fantastic up front yesterday and gives defenders a problem in behind that Boyce and Gnanduillet don’t. 

18 hours ago, pobster22 said:

Our pace going forward yesterday was a joy to watch, which when playing at Tynecastle is a must as a lot of clubs will try and sit in. Boyce always seems to want too many touches and slows the game down a bit. Seat on the bench for him in the next game I would think. 

19 hours ago, kila said:

This. That is the whole point of having competition for places. Guys come in to the team and want to impress which they did yesterday so why drop them?

1 hour ago, jbee647 said:

Still the best striker we have at the club by some distance 

Robbie and his coaches know this and Boyce will be back in the side for the Motherwell match assuming he is fit

na

1 hour ago, Halliphax said:

I like Boyce but I think natural goal scorer is a stretch for someone who has (P) next to his name more often than not. We don't even need to bandy stats about to know that the game we played against St Johnstone (despite the draw) and Dundee Utd had the pace that we've been missing with him up front. It's about perspective as well, we scored half his entire season's goals in one match yesterday...

You could argue we struggled without him because we had Gnando up front who wasn't doing it for us. Remove him from the equation and we've got McKay, Woodburn and Gino all in interchangeable positions in this fluid front three formation (which we can't do with Boyce).

So effectively, putting Boyce back in the squad means we're changing from three pacey strikers/wings to one hold up striker. What would he have brought to yesterday's game that those three didn't?

I'm not saying this formation will work against every team and there will certainly be times we need someone like Boyce playing (i.e against a back five when we need someone to draw fouls and break the lines) but I think ripping up the gameplan/formation from our highest scoring, most entertaining game this season just to put Boyce back in after an injury is a bit dodgy.

Even if you disagree with my above points, you have to admit that the only thing you don't do other than bench an on-form striker is change a winning formation.

Gnando is for the most part a passenger. He did well to break away from our own half with the ball in the lead up to one of our goals other than that he really did nothing that would make Robbie want to keep him in the team.

Motherwell have a few big players so he might be tempted to put him up front to match them up but he can't even jump his own height so I would start with the same team as we did yesterday.

The pace and movement of our front three would be more of a worry to Motherwell than Gnando.