• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• GinRummy

• BackOfTheNet

• Bazzas right boot

• Pasquale for King

15 minutes ago, FarmerTweedy said:

The bit in bold is just wrong. At the tail end of last season, he was only just starting his comeback from his last injury. Nobody knew if he'd come back OK, or be the same player as before. Offering him a lengthy new contract at that point would have been a huge gamble, and if he'd rejected it, there almost certainly wouldn't have been any clubs willing to pay much more than loose change to take him.

Also, with Kingsley and Halkett, it's only in the last few months that they've consistently shown the sort of form to actually merit being offered renewals. 

I'm not saying the club hasn't made mistakes handling contracts in the past, but it's not been the case here.

Disagree. He came back strong and we should've offered the contract. We were over cautious and it backfired. 

When you've watched hundreds of thousands of pounds (if not millions) over the last 8 years get pished up a wall signing a litany of utter shite such as Grzlak, Oshinawa, Martin, Sammon, Sowah, Damour, Whelan, Wighton, Frear, Halliday - I don't need to keep going right? We should have taken the gamble and got some form of extension sorted, if he wasn't willing to entertain it, then we should have got rid over the summer. 

I've made this point already, but every time a player signs a contract its a risk. They could get injured and never recover their form, they could be injury prone but come good - Sow, they could look great before but end up being shit - Wyness, it happens. In Snakey Souttars case he was a known quantity that came back played 5 games at the tailend of last season and looked rock solid in every single one. I distinctly recall folk mentioning it looked like he'd never been away. THAT was the time to get contract negotiations going. He'd done his recovery, he'd came back and slotted in seamlessly and only had 12 months left. 

His entire time with us, he's been the great white hope - the player we're going to sell for seven figures, Derby were going to pay north of £2m before he got injured etc. So to allow him to go into his final 12 months was naïve and we've completely worn the full cost of his fitness issues and the huns get to swoop in and nab him for pennies on the pound.  Naïve is absolutely correct.

18 minutes ago, OTT said:

Disagree. He came back strong and we should've offered the contract. We were over cautious and it backfired. 

When you've watched hundreds of thousands of pounds (if not millions) over the last 8 years get pished up a wall signing a litany of utter shite such as Grzlak, Oshinawa, Martin, Sammon, Sowah, Damour, Whelan, Wighton, Frear, Halliday - I don't need to keep going right? We should have taken the gamble and got some form of extension sorted, if he wasn't willing to entertain it, then we should have got rid over the summer. 

I've made this point already, but every time a player signs a contract its a risk. They could get injured and never recover their form, they could be injury prone but come good - Sow, they could look great before but end up being shit - Wyness, it happens. In Snakey Souttars case he was a known quantity that came back played 5 games at the tailend of last season and looked rock solid in every single one. I distinctly recall folk mentioning it looked like he'd never been away. THAT was the time to get contract negotiations going. He'd done his recovery, he'd came back and slotted in seamlessly and only had 12 months left. 

His entire time with us, he's been the great white hope - the player we're going to sell for seven figures, Derby were going to pay north of £2m before he got injured etc. So to allow him to go into his final 12 months was naïve and we've completely worn the full cost of his fitness issues and the huns get to swoop in and nab him for pennies on the pound.  Naïve is absolutely correct.

When you put it like that, it's hard to disagree.

However, it's possible that Soutter was offered an extension and declined it. Who knows?

Just now, OTT said:

Post of the year so far 👏👍

We don’t need to break the bank. Devlin, Beni etc is the proof.

Let the recruitment team do it’s job. They haven’t let us down so far. 

Patience. 

I was always one to wrire off our players if they went to the OF and I did so when Craig Gordon went there from Sunderland.

Won't be doing it again because that man is one of our greatest ever.

Good luck to Souttar but I wish he was going elsewhere.

He still might be.

Would like to see us continue to source players from the J league, K league and A league, there is real quality to be had there.

Epl under 23 market is a good one too, I feel like we have been poor recruiting in Europe though surely there is a beast of an Italian Centre Half in serie b or something that could replace the Rat and become and instant legend.

3 hours ago, martoon said:

Monte Carlo.

He plays somewhere in the South of France.

Easily playing roulette with a comment like that.

Bazzas right boot
3 hours ago, OTT said:

Makes sense until you realise you can't force players to sign a contract. 

Folk are being niave if they think a contract was never discussed earlier and Souttar wanted to wait and see his options. 

Hearts can't force players to extend, a point folk miss on here and no offer we have will have matched Rangers or a glut of offers from down south. 

5 hours ago, Section Q said:

Defoe scored 32 times for the club despite making just 33 starts.

Could do worse than offer him a 6 month deal, but I feel we will target someone much younger with a sell on potential.

StevenNaismith

The reason that Jake Hastie’s career has stalled is Jake Hastie himself. Terrible attitude, doesn’t look after himself off the pitch and is more interested in going out with his mates. Absolute waste of a great talent.

9 hours ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Laughable. Bigger maybe but never better, never in a million miles better.

You support snake while rest of us support Hearts.

I do support Hearts!

Honestly, you’re embarrassing yourself. “Better” by definition - Rangers have quite obviously had more success than us.

I hate Rangers. I wish Souttar wasn’t going there. But I won’t have a go at him for that. It’s a childish attitude.

28 minutes ago, StevenNaismith said:

The reason that Jake Hastie’s career has stalled is Jake Hastie himself. Terrible attitude, doesn’t look after himself off the pitch and is more interested in going out with his mates. Absolute waste of a great talent.

Same vibes as Harry cochrane. Potential there but career being wasted

Jean Louis Valois
4 hours ago, OTT said:

I'm pretty sure we did offer him a contract extension last year, and multiple since. He's declined them all, never had any intention of staying with us.

7 hours ago, Morgaro Gomis said:

Wow. You’re everything that’s wrong with Scottish football summed up in one post.

Grow up, FFS! :rofl:

9 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Mugabi of Motherwell has looked a decent player any time I’ve seen him.

Yeah, I liked  him also (the couple of times I’ve watched Well)… not sure of his preferred position CB or RCB. Decent player though. 

Malinga the Swinga
39 minutes ago, Tenor said:

I do support Hearts!

Honestly, you’re embarrassing yourself. “Better” by definition - Rangers have quite obviously had more success than us.

I hate Rangers. I wish Souttar wasn’t going there. But I won’t have a go at him for that. It’s a childish attitude.

One league title and no cups doesn't make them better. 

Bigger you can argue, but better! You're the embarrassment.

4 minutes ago, johnking123 said:

Milos Degenek should make a good edition to Australian contingent 

Would be impressive signing but he’s just been playing champs league 2 years on the trot.

HEARTS FOREVER
10 minutes ago, johnking123 said:

Milos Degenek should make a good edition to Australian contingent 

Surely this boy would be out of our reach?

PhoenixHearts
10 hours ago, Tenor said:

Souttar is a professional footballer. He’s not a Hearts fan.

Thanks to his injuries, he knows he has a very limited shelf life.

A bigger and better team has offered him far more money than we can afford.

Not only will playing with Rangers give him and his family more financial security, but it will provide him with better career opportunities.

Any negative comments towards him is completely unnecessary.

Any opinions on the part where he's leaving us with absolutely ****all compensation while strengthening a rival of ours? Or did you just conveniently forget that part.

Our club developed him into what he is now yet he's showing us no gratitude whatsoever and leaving us in a position of weakness.

If that doesn't make your blood boil or even just a light simmer, if you cant even admit a shred of frustration towards the situation, well then I'd have to question your love for this club.

I'm not even one of these people who thinks football is everything. It's just a game and there are more important things in life. But the way Souttar has gone about this is tactless and disrespectful. I hate that it's at the expense of my club.

HEARTS FOREVER
3 minutes ago, PhoenixHearts said:

Any opinions on the part where he's leaving us with absolutely ****all compensation while strengthening a rival of ours? Or did you just conveniently forget that part.

Our club developed him into what he is now yet he's showing us no gratitude whatsoever and leaving us in a position of weakness.

If that doesn't make your blood boil or even just a light simmer, if you cant even admit a shred of frustration towards the situation, well then I'd have to question your love for this club.

I'm not even one of these people who thinks football is everything. It's just a game and there are more important things in life. But the way Souttar has gone about this is tactless and disrespectful. I hate that it's at the expense of my club.

👏👏👏👏

54 minutes ago, Tenor said:

Grow up, FFS! :rofl:

If it makes so much sense for Souttar to move through there then why don’t you follow (follow) him. 

You’ll see better players and some trophies 🤷‍♂️

PhoenixHearts
10 hours ago, Arthur Morgan said:

No it's not. 

Laughable really. He literally had top end championship clubs who will likely be promoted to the Prem next season giving him offers yet Rangers gives him the better route to the prem?...

Make it make sense.

57 minutes ago, Tenor said:

I do support Hearts!

You don’t hate rangers. You sound delighted he’s going there as well. . 

Hearts supporters are angry that we are losing a player we’ve helped through several injuries for nothing to one of our most hated rivals after he’s been back playing for 6 months after a year out. If you can’t grasp that then you ain’t trying. 

Souttar has looked after Souttar here, which is his prerogative but he can’t expect anything less than abuse from the hearts support. 

Brick Tamland
12 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

One league title and no cups doesn't make them better. 

Bigger you can argue, but better! You're the embarrassment.

Is the correct answer when the Sevco sympathisers start getting a bit staunch. 

As for Souttar, **** him. That Hearts statement that “notes” Sevco’s announcement, speaks volumes about Souttar for me. 
Yes he had a contract with us, but the support the club, and us fans showed him whilst he was out injured for the majority of his time, deserved a fair degree of loyalty. 
There’s no doubt he is a good player but he does have his weaknesses and I think Moore is a more than able replacement if we can get him. 
Souttar deserves all the stick that will be flung at him as it appears he has been snakier than a snake in how he has gone about this. 

Can't see any way he can play for Hearts again. I've never booed a Hearts player before but he would be my first. Either get money of the huns now or put him on gardening leave. Cutting our nose off to spite our face I know but it's how I, and the vast majority on here feel 

17 minutes ago, PhoenixHearts said:

100%👍

5 hours ago, OTT said:

Fantastic post and bang on the money here. 

This will hurt us for a long time and I hope the club use this as a blueprint for conducting future negotiations if the situation ever arises again. 

The manner in which he signed for a hated rival in such an underhand way and without so much as a whiff of recompense for the club that looked after him after two near career ending injuries,  has to go down as one of the shittiest things a current player has ever done to our club.  I hope he goes now and we don’t ever see him pull on our famous colours ever again. 

Horatio Caine

Ok.  Souttar's away.  Let's move on instead of endlessly discussing it and venting our collective spleen.

This thread is (or should be) about possible incomings.  Can we concentrate on that now?

1 hour ago, Rogue Daddy said:

Yeah, I liked  him also (the couple of times I’ve watched Well)… not sure of his preferred position CB or RCB. Decent player though. 

RCB would be ideal for replacing Souttar. Someone we should definitely be looking at anyway.

6 minutes ago, Horatio Caine said:

Ok.  Souttar's away.  Let's move on instead of endlessly discussing it and venting our collective spleen.

This thread is (or should be) about possible incomings.  Can we concentrate on that now?

Doubt much will happen at the weekend. Not sure if it was discussed but RN kinda suggested the other day that we’d be after one more player but would also replace anyone we lost. So I’m assuming with Walker and Ratsnakehun away and Gnando likely gone means we are now after 4 players. 

Going to be a busy couple of weeks. 

1 hour ago, gregzy2k7 said:

Could do worse than offer him a 6 month deal, but I feel we will target someone much younger with a sell on potential.

If we get a nominal fee for Souttar it still frees up his wage. What's to lose by giving Defoe the remainder of the season? Doesn't stop the search for a longer term solution, whilst giving him an opportunity to impress someone to give him a last contract. 

1 minute ago, jb102 said:

Some great news about now would be a good idea.

Harring extension  Defoe till end of season will fo for me.

Jean Louis Valois

I want him gone asap. But it would also be quite funny If sevco didn't think he was worth paying a fee for this month, as I'd imagine that's what he will be expecting to happen. Their are leaving their new signing in a really bad situation for the remainder of this season, basically they are saying to him "yeh we want you, but we don't want you that much". However he would blame us for playing hard ball, feck him.

1 hour ago, StevenNaismith said:

Our Harry Cochrane springs to mind reading this 

Get a fee in and make Moore permanent and see if we can sign Cochrane too. 

If we can then get a striker and a defensive cover for 6 months to assess more in the summer we will be fine. 

11 minutes ago, Baxfee said:

Wonder if there will be anything on Moore or Cochrane. If there’s an upgrade on them though that would be exciting 

I’d really like us to try and sign them, particularly Cochrane who I think has bags of potential. Barely played before he came to us so still got a lot to learn but would be an excellent signing imo. 

2 hours ago, StevenNaismith said:

correct, however the last point I kinda disagree with, more a case of a waste of a potentially good talent, he had a purple spell at well after a failed loan at airdrie so showed promise but as usual because one of the uglies was interested Hastie was massively overhyped in comparison to his actual ability so combined with a piss poor attitude he was never going to live up to expectations at ibrox 

15 minutes ago, Baxfee said:

Wonder if there will be anything on Moore or Cochrane. If there’s an upgrade on them though that would be exciting 

I was hoping to see us move to tie them up.

But i'm not sure there is much point trying to sign them now when they are on loan until the end of the season.

Unless they are out of contract in the summer and we could agree a pre-contract with them.

Even then, I'd rather see the club spend the next 6 months looking at Moore to see how he fills the Souttar shaped void before committing 

• Kalamazoo Jambo changed the title to ** Hearts - January Transfer Window 2022 ** Toby Sibbick signs 3.5 year deal