** Hearts - January Transfer Window 2022 ** Toby Sibbick signs 3.5 year deal

Sertse

56 minutes ago, jr ewing said:

Watch EFL on Quest. Some decent looking strikers on there. 

Problem is, they are either valued at £5m or you're looking at Cole Stockton banging them in 😄

• Replies 12.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• GinRummy

• BackOfTheNet

• Bazzas right boot

• Pasquale for King

3 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

totally disagree. Livingston and Motherwell we could easily have had 5/6 goal wins.. Against Dundee we should have been well out of sight, against St Johnstone we created enough in the second half in particular.  Against rangers in the last 30 we had 3/4 very good chances if you include those wrongly flagged which is decent at ibrox..

Aberdeen but is the outlier 

I agree although think we should be scoring more from open play. The majority of our goals have come from penalties and free kicks which obviously still count but I do wonder why we’ve struggled more through other methods.

The games you’ve brought up you’re quite right that we’ve missed a handful of chances, some in particular have been really easy.

I think in the games we’ve played well and scored from open play it’s been in games where the wing backs have played well. Unfortunately it’s been a weak point for us with Smith in particular getting a lot of the ball and having terrible end product. Cochrane on the other hand has been very competent defensively but has been hot and cold going forward. Ideally I would like Logan in for smith on Saturday, that is if he’s fit.

Berra than you
1 hour ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

I don't think his defending has been the issue as much as his passing has been. Numerous times he's put us in the shite lately.

Agreed. Earlier in in the season teams would sit off him and only press Souttar or Kingsley as they are better passers. Halkett was still making good passes then. Recently (particularly agaisnt St Johnstone) opposition attackers have been pressing him and his passing under pressure has been abysmal.

jamboinglasgow

I do think we will targeting a  striker from a Premier league team's reserves, particularly one in the last six months of their contract. As with Beni (who we signed) and Cochrane and Woodburn, it seems to be an area we can work with as it can give the possibility of longer term signing. I reckon we will try to sign outright but will take a loan till the end of the season.

Before anyone asks, I have no knowledge of anything happening, just predicting on previous evidence.

1 hour ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

I don't think his defending has been the issue as much as his passing has been. Numerous times he's put us in the shite lately.

I agree regarding his passing, i would be instructing him to play the simple pass to Souttar or Kingsley every time and let them play the forward passes as they are both confident passers of a football. It is not ideal though that the central defender of our back 3 and our goalkeeper are not good with the ball at there feet, especialy when you want to play it out from the back on a consistant basis.

I do think Halkett is the best header of a ball we have though and is pretty solid when simply just defending.

Disclaimer: I am not having a go at CG. I love CG and would have him in goal even if he had no feet to pass the ball with because for me he is worth his weight in gold and we are lucky to have him.

1 hour ago, kingantti1874 said:

totally disagree. Livingston and Motherwell we could easily have had 5/6 goal wins.. Against Dundee we should have been well out of sight, against St Johnstone we created enough in the second half in particular.  Against rangers in the last 30 we had 3/4 very good chances if you include those wrongly flagged which is decent at ibrox..

Folk are using a wee dip in results as a beating stick for performances.

On the whole I think we've played some really good football, sometimes not for whole games (Dundee 2nd half, St J 1st half springs to mind) but in reality we've had one shocker of a performance and that was Aberdeen.

If we had been more clinical we'd have beaten Dundee & St Johnstone comfortably, and that's the issue we need to resolve.

kingantti1874
53 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

On the whole I think we've played some really good football, sometimes not for whole games (Dundee 2nd half, St J 1st half springs to mind) but in reality we've had one shocker of a performance and that was Aberdeen.

If we had been more clinical we'd have beaten Dundee & St Johnstone comfortably, and that's the issue we need to resolve.

agree.  And how to change it when it’s not working like last weekend.. as I’ve said. It’s not all about having 1 system and sticking to it.. good teams adapt

31 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

agree.  And how to change it when it’s not working like last weekend.. as I’ve said. It’s not all about having 1 system and sticking to it.. good teams adapt

Yeah, I'd like to see us a bit more proactive than reactive. There really shouldn't be a great deal to moan about just now...

3 hours ago, jr ewing said:

Cole Stockton 🤣

Yes but you said SOME decent looking strikers.  Did you mean decent looking as in edging towards handsome or as in prolific scorers?

Surely you can do better than name  just one accompanied by a smilie.

Edited by JamboAl

Absolute Scenes
2 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

thats a very good point. Even the 3-2 celtic game, whilst the first half was rotten, we did bring it second half. 

Aberdeen game was a sore one - but in a twisted way, i'm happier we were beaten by them rather than by County or Dundee

Being clinical is quite a nice problem as we know we are playing good football, have addressed the shocking midfield we've had, we just need the final piece for everything to click

Edited by Absolute Scenes

Sub4TiddlerMurray
On 04/11/2021 at 12:45, Pasquale for King said:

Fair point, I think we should still be there, but teams have sussed us out and it’s needs to be changed, wouldn’t you agree?

The 343 system transformed us into an attacking side instead of the turgid/leaky back four we had towards the back end of last season. So, I don't see any reason to ditch it completely.

But, we do need to change when other teams start to boss the midfield as a very ordinary Aberdeen did to us last week. IMO Peter Haring should have come on to allow us to take back the midfield instead of keeping 343 with like for like changes. That said, it is only with hindsight I say that because I thought that the changes RN made would work at the time.

Just some radicle thoughts re our permutations. Smith might be more effective in the centre of defence, reads the game well and not getting any younger - could kingsley, Moore Halliday or Ginnelly take his place ? Could Soutar be tried in midlield ? Could Haring do a job in central defence? Our defence could have benefitted from his physique against sheep. Should Stewart play in the cup games? Whatever you think of him he's our no2 and as such needs to get game time somehow.

1 hour ago, JamboAl said:

Yes but you said SOME decent looking strikers.  Did you mean decent looking as in edging towards handsome or as in prolific scorers?

Surely you can do better than name  just one accompanied by a smilie.

Armstrong and Muldoon sounds a right pair 🤔 

jamboinglasgow
3 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Yeah, I'd like to see us a bit more proactive than reactive. There really shouldn't be a great deal to moan about just now...

I think we are in a dip which was a bad week and tomorrow game will be a big indicator of what we need to do. But I also think that some people are dismissing a lot of good in the first round of fixtures to make out there is a lot bad. Our big problems from the last three games is making silly defensive mistakes and not being able to finish. But these are problems that can be fixed (would like to see our wingers given more freedom to take chances, think they are a bit reluctant.) 

Pasquale for King
3 hours ago, Sub4TiddlerMurray said:

The 343 system transformed us into an attacking side instead of the turgid/leaky back four we had towards the back end of last season. So, I don't see any reason to ditch it completely.

But, we do need to change when other teams start to boss the midfield as a very ordinary Aberdeen did to us last week. IMO Peter Haring should have come on to allow us to take back the midfield instead of keeping 343 with like for like changes. That said, it is only with hindsight I say that because I thought that the changes RN made would work at the time.

It doesn’t really matter what formation we play when we pass it backwards and sideways with no tempo, for me the problem is we don’t have enough forward thinking players on the pitch in general. 
Going to a back five hardly turned us into Brazil, we barely score a goal from open play and didn’t carve teams up. It’s been used to ease Souttar back in and to play Halkett who needs an extra man beside him when we’re defending. Unfortunately our wing backs have little quality in the final third and our two excellent midfielders don’t create much either. 
Teams have worked us out, either during games and now before it. 
You thought Halliday was the right substitute at 2:1 down last Saturday?

I don’t expect Neilson to change it tomorrow. 

Bazzas right boot
2 hours ago, jamboinglasgow said:

I think we are in a dip which was a bad week and tomorrow game will be a big indicator of what we need to do. But I also think that some people are dismissing a lot of good in the first round of fixtures to make out there is a lot bad. Our big problems from the last three games is making silly defensive mistakes and not being able to finish. But these are problems that can be fixed (would like to see our wingers given more freedom to take chances, think they are a bit reluctant.) 

You're too diplomatic. 

We have some roasters in our support that seem to have no clue about football. 

Folk Litterally think because x team got beaten by team y them we should beat team x  as well. 

It's like they are new to football. 

Lots of posters expect us to compete with rangers and celtic but at the same time are baffled when a team like Dundee competes with us. 

It's a ridiculous train of thought. 

Certain posters regurgitate this type of thinking regularly. 

We aren't the completed article, and those who had us winning the league or finishing 3rd easily need a reality check. 

Too many on here dismiss the other team, it's actually embarrassing. 

What this type of thinking ultimately leads to is anger and bitterness that has all came from their own unrealistic targets not being met, dismissing the other team and generally being a bit silly. 

You also have a few rabids that are enjoying our dip of form way too much, for some this has been their busiest week on JKB. 

It just happens to be after our first league defeat. Strange that. 

They seem to have posted more times in a week than they did the previous 3 months.

I agree with your sentiment and 1 or 2 additions in January  would keep us purring along nicely. 

A win would be good on Saturday, for the points, to improve our home form and to cement us at least the 3rd best team so far. 

Need to do it with what we've got tho, Likley minus Boyce. 😔

8 hours ago, Mr Rabbit said:

I agree although think we should be scoring more from open play. The majority of our goals have come from penalties and free kicks which obviously still count but I do wonder why we’ve struggled more through other methods.

The games you’ve brought up you’re quite right that we’ve missed a handful of chances, some in particular have been really easy.

I think in the games we’ve played well and scored from open play it’s been in games where the wing backs have played well. Unfortunately it’s been a weak point for us with Smith in particular getting a lot of the ball and having terrible end product. Cochrane on the other hand has been very competent defensively but has been hot and cold going forward. Ideally I would like Logan in for smith on Saturday, that is if he’s fit.

I think we try and score the perfect goal all the time. Reminds me of arsenal under wenger always trying to walk the ball in. We get players in to good shooting positions but they seem to look for one more pass instead of hitting it. 

3 hours ago, jr ewing said:

Armstrong and Muldoon sounds a right pair 🤔 

Are they a firm of solicitors?

If you're talking about

Jake Muldoon - 32 and has had more clubs than Jack Nicklaus

Stuart Armstrong - ex Celtic and not actually a striker but dream on

Adam A|rmstrong - cost Soton c£15m recently so he looks like a good candidate. eh?  Is about the same height as wee Robbo but does know how to put them away.  Absolutely no chance.

Either substantiate who you're talking about or stop spouting p**h.

Tom Hardy’s Dug

I think it is pretty simple.

Fans said we didn’t have a clear style or formation. 

We do now.

The structure has improved us.

The recruitment team we now have has improved us.

Robbie has shown growth and improved as a coach - he has improved us as part of the other improvements.

We have a system and a style now. It has improved us. It isn’t near perfect but we can see that a better striker or a better RWB or a better CB than Halkett (all of which are achievable) will improve us immensely.

And I think most Hearts fans recognise we couldn’t have improved every position in the team in one transfer window. Which is fine because we have January and next summer before our next Euro campaign….

59 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

Are they a firm of solicitors?

If you're talking about

Jake Muldoon - 32 and has had more clubs than Jack Nicklaus

Stuart Armstrong - ex Celtic and not actually a striker but dream on

Adam A|rmstrong - cost Soton c£15m recently so he looks like a good candidate. eh?  Is about the same height as wee Robbo but does know how to put them away.  Absolutely no chance.

Either substantiate who you're talking about or stop spouting p**h.

Sears Colchester. I can go on all night 🌙 

13 minutes ago, jr ewing said:

Sears Colchester. I can go on all night 🌙 

Aye that took you 47 mins to find a name and that's the best you can do.  His hit rate is 1 per 3 games in the lower reaches of the EFL and RN has said he wants players who will improve the team.  Soapy has a better hit rate than that and he's a CD.

Please don't go all night - you're strugglimg as it is.

PS - You said SOME and I was expecting to see 4 or 5 possibilities.  Silly me.

22 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

Aye that took you 47 mins to find a name and that's the best you can do.  His hit rate is 1 per 3 games in the lower reaches of the EFL and RN has said he wants players who will improve the team.  Soapy has a better hit rate than that and he's a CD.

Please don't go all night - you're strugglimg as it is.

PS - You said SOME and I was expecting to see 4 or 5 possibilities.  Silly me.

St Albans v Salford tomorrow. I'll let you know 😌 

21 minutes ago, jr ewing said:

St Albans v Salford tomorrow. I'll let you know 😌 

Aye right, but we wait with baited breath for the names of SOME of the talent you have already described in the past not tomorrow.  Maybe they didn't exist.

PS - if you access the websites of these two clubs you get some names without waiting until tomorrow but, remember, Salford, I believe, pay big wages so even if you see a budding Messi he might be beyond our financial reach.

14 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

Aye right, but we wait with baited breath for the names of SOME of the talent you have already described in the past not tomorrow.  Maybe they didn't exist.

PS - if you access the websites of these two clubs you get some names without waiting until tomorrow but, remember, Salford, I believe, pay big wages so even if you see a budding Messi he might be beyond our financial reach.

It was the Levein/ Murray way of doing it. Saves getting off your seat 💺 

11 minutes ago, jr ewing said:

It was the Levein/ Murray way of doing it. Saves getting off your seat 💺 

You're still avoiding the question(s).

Pasquale for King
14 hours ago, kingantti1874 said:

What good chances did we miss against Dundee? Just watched these highlights again, it’s all half chances at best. We created very little against Aberdeen and Hibs at home. 
Rangers could’ve been 4-5 up by the time we started to play. 
We did play well and create chances against Livi and Motherwell, and in Perth/Dingwall but didn’t take them. 
I would say those four games are the outliers not the norm. 
I don’t see a better striker having anymore chances created for him by wing backs that can’t beat the first man or the constantly rotated wingers. 
It will be interesting to see what kind of striker we go for, a pacy one to stretch teams would be my choice but you get the feeling it will be a 6’3” hold the ball in type guy. 

Edited by Pasquale for King

Bazzas right boot
9 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

What good chances did we miss against Dundee? Just watched these highlights again, it’s all half chances at best. We created very little against Aberdeen and Hibs at home. 
Rangers could’ve been 4-5 up by the time we started to play. 
We did play well and create chances against Livi and Motherwell, and in Perth/Dingwall but didn’t take them. 
I would say those four games are the outliers not the norm. 
I don’t see a better striker having anymore chances created for him by wing backs that can’t beat the first man or the constantly rotated wingers. 
It will be interesting to see what kind of striker we go for, a pacy one to stretch teams would be my choice but you get the feeling it will be a 6’3” hold the ball in type guy. 

It's almost like the other team tries to stop us and even win games themselves. 

I dunno why teams just don't bend over for us. 

It's annoying, football would be easy if it wasn't for the other team and players. 

18 hours ago, jamboinglasgow said:

Sums it up. But it's not just our wingers that are reluctant to take chances.

That said, our slow build-ups just allow teams to get back and provide a defensive wall that we have always struggled to breach. 

And does Robbie have the skills to fix these problems...not on recent showings.

21 hours ago, Chillidigits said:

Just some radicle thoughts re our permutations. Smith might be more effective in the centre of defence, reads the game well and not getting any younger - could kingsley, Moore Halliday or Ginnelly take his place ? Could Soutar be tried in midlield ? Could Haring do a job in central defence? Our defence could have benefitted from his physique against sheep. Should Stewart play in the cup games? Whatever you think of him he's our no2 and as such needs to get game time somehow.

I really don't like Smith as a wingback, the position does not suit him IMO. He's got a great engine and is a fantastic defender, but we need more from our wingbacks. I see it as its essentially a winger role with defensive duties - in that order. We need someone of a similar mould to Demi Mitchell winger transitioning to fullback where they can beat a man etc. I think a proper left sided CB would be good to get Kingsley at LWB since his crossing is solid. Smith could play in a back 3 comfortably, and if we didn't have Moore too, I'd be keen to see Halkett dropped for him tbh. 

Stewart isn't a number 2 at a club of our stature. If god forbid we had to use him we'd drop like a stone. We need an actual number 2. Someone who is solid but unspectacular. I'd have loved Jamie MacDonald back tbh. Cheap and cheerful but solid shot stopper and penalty saver if we needed to call on him. Stewart is an accident waiting to happen and would cost us points sadly. Clearly a good face to have around the training ground but not much else. 

I'd like our midfield to alternate between benching Smith or Cochrane for a winger until we can get to January. We need more of an attacking emphasis and two fullbacks kidding on their wingbacks isn't good. One full back and one winger should offer a much more potent attacking threat without giving up our pretty solid defence. Our issue is that over 90 minutes mistakes are going to happen and the opposition are going to get a shot or two on goal. Our attack is letting us down by failing to put teams away early doors leading to inevitable pressure on our back line which has bit us several times already. 

For arguments sake:

Gordon

Halkett Souttar Kingsley

McKay Devlin Beni Cochrane

Woodburn Boyce Gino

Or Smith for Cochrane and swing McKay over to the left wingback role. 

Lord Beni of Gorgie
On 04/11/2021 at 19:17, Cruyff said:

He's got until January to prove his worth and he's definitely got talent so he might come good yet. 👍

I'm taking credit for the boot up the arse  :lol:

Been watched Sheffield Wednesday v Plymouth  on ITV.

I'm sorry, but anyone desiring return of Callum should have watched.

A very uninspiring performance as RWB.

Just been subbed after a poor performance.

54 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

Been watched Sheffield Wednesday v Plymouth  on ITV.

I'm sorry, but anyone desiring return of Callum should have watched.

A very uninspiring performance as RWB.

Just been subbed after a poor performance.

The only ones advocating his return are the ones who might still think he is (or ever was) good enough to play in the EPL! He wasn’t good enough when he went in the first place and has seriously deteriorated since. Nowhere near good enough for the way we play. 

Had a wee bit of time to spare so thought I would drop in a list of potential targets from each of the leagues that we would normally target / compete with:

Scottish Prem: 

image.thumb.png.ab2af0f829662642694ca26309d8a136.png

Scottish Championship: 

image.thumb.png.bc62e3c46cb2fab27eadb66a38ddd945.png

Premier League (skipped all the multi-million pound players but who knows - there could be another Beni in here...): 

image.thumb.png.ed7bf9281f0dee57c69862aae65096fd.png

image.png

EFL Championship (skipped the first page because they'll all be far too dear, some in here will be too but anyway:)

image.thumb.png.d5aad74c677e67afb3d664cbdca340dd.png

image.thumb.png.0674d8dbfc301e7edc35c5b80e08d886.png

image.thumb.png.b52208184ea987699a6ed9550f54eb84.png

image.thumb.png.8e84d49705f394430abca313383ef1ed.png

EFL League One: 

image.thumb.png.b7b7f7adc5ee6878e4cb7b31694fe620.png

image.thumb.png.625018ebb23adb9fee3579f849f7bfbf.png

EFL League Two: 

image.thumb.png.455b142f0ec14cf5c66911415ac3edab.png

Anyone REALLY take your fancy??? 

Edited by Batistuta87

kingantti1874
On 07/11/2021 at 14:37, bobskeldon said:

The only ones advocating his return are the ones who might still think he is (or ever was) good enough to play in the EPL! He wasn’t good enough when he went in the first place and has seriously deteriorated since. Nowhere near good enough for the way we play. 

you know, when we tried to re-sign rudi skacel I heard the exact same arguements on here .. some even backing JJ’s preference to bring in Tony capalidi 😆

CP is a cult hero here, he was a hero at Cardiff as well. Their fans were furious when they let him go.  his performances here were different class, he’s a physical monster and huge goal threat.

He'd be a beast again, it hasn’t worked out at Wednesday but some players are just meant to be at some clubs.  He was never good enough for the EPL.. but good enough for hearts.. ? Every single day of the week.. 

kingantti1874
9 minutes ago, Batistuta87 said:

Had a wee bit of time to spare so thought I would drop in a list of potential targets from each of the leagues that we would normally target / compete with:

Scottish Prem: 

Scottish Championship: 

Premier League (skipped all the multi-million pound players but who knows - there could be another Beni in here...): 

image.png

EFL Championship (skipped the first page because they'll all be far too dear, some in here will be too but anyway:)

EFL League One: 

EFL League Two: 

Whelan 👀

34 minutes ago, Batistuta87 said:

Scottish Prem: 

Scottish Championship: 

image.png

EFL League One: 

EFL League Two: 

I fancy Callum Patterson! :loved:

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, Batistuta87 said:

Scottish Prem: 

Scottish Championship: 

image.png

EFL League One: 

EFL League Two: 

Hedges from Aberdeen. 

2 hours ago, kingantti1874 said:

you know, when we tried to re-sign rudi skacel I heard the exact same arguements on here .. some even backing JJ’s preference to bring in Tony capalidi 😆

CP is a cult hero here, he was a hero at Cardiff as well. Their fans were furious when they let him go.  his performances here were different class, he’s a physical monster and huge goal threat.

He'd be a beast again, it hasn’t worked out at Wednesday but some players are just meant to be at some clubs.  He was never good enough for the EPL.. but good enough for hearts.. ? Every single day of the week.. 

His main(I would say only) attribute is his physicality which will get him the odd goal or two. However, we are clearly moving in the direction of good technicians and he is definitely not one. He struggled taking the ball in tight areas when he was here last. There is a reason he has been played /tried in various positions is no longer seen as a viable RWB for the National side where Nathan Patterson has now set the standard! This makes guys like Patterson, O’Donnell etc look (quite rightly) very ordinary. You seem to be advocating we should sign CP because he is a “cult hero” and/or a beast. The days of throwing someone like CP upfront to play for seconds or simply hitting the channels is gone and I am glad. Nowhere near good enough for this Hearts side!

• Kalamazoo Jambo changed the title to ** Hearts - January Transfer Window 2022 ** Toby Sibbick signs 3.5 year deal
  • davemclaren locked and unlocked this topic